Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

And that's the way it is...
That's one of the reasons why I don't go the OPTIMIZE EVERYTHING route. There'll almost always be something I forgot or just flat-out didn't occur to me, and then it's all 'this is the best way' and people will be like 'lol, there's like ten obvious things you missed'.

So unless it's a game I'm incredibly confident on, and frankly even then most of the time, I prefer to just stick to 'eh, this works, but there are other ways'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

That level is definitely what I had in my head from the start with this premise but it definitely has more impact happening now than all the time.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

:siren:
The Grotto (28:10)

Next tier of random missions adds in what I call 'wild-card' structures to complicate our strategy, though they do throw us a bone with more spread-out hives. We see one new mutation that I don't think has appeared before, and also our first Vile Tongue sighting.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

For those of you more experienced than I, I have a question; no urgency but I'd like some advice on Planetary Campaign settings. This series has more 'legs' than usual in terms of people still being interested in it now past the midpoint of the Story, so I'm likely to do one run on the highest difficulty I can handle of the Planetary Campaign mode after the Story wraps up. My main inquiry is on map size; what do all of you who have tried it think is best in terms of a balance between there being enough to do strategically versus it being too big to be just a grind? I'll be doing some testing out of the mode of course when we get closer to that point, but narrowing down the range of what I should be looking at would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
I think the bunker turrets really came into their own this time around and helped make up for the lack of soldiers, but now I'm seeing how stretched your forces are becoming compared to previous missions.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I forget the exact naming of the sizes. Whatever "medium" is. The lerger sizes are punishingly hard on the hardest difficulty. The smallest one wraps up a bit faster than I would like too.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

The Grotto Raid (16:37)

Some nice chokepoints helped on this one. I pick up a couple more upgrades including the powerful Minigunner - next map gets kind of crazy as we return to the plotline, so I'll probably be able to get some use out of them.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
Those mine layers made that one almost look easy, it certainly made up for the lack of turrets. Also, do those military style bunkers actually have any benefit like extra health, or are they there just to make things more challenging?

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

It seems they automatically capture the point (which is a con honestly considering the poison cloud + rust combo damages them) and they seem insanely tanky.

If robotics affected them I'd say it's be a wash.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Tombot posted:

do those military style bunkers actually have any benefit like extra health, or are they there just to make things more challenging?

They do have extra health, and the free chopper strike you get when capture a point isn't nothing either.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Im about where you are right now plus 2 missions.

It gets real loving hard real soon IMHO.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I would also like to say that this game is not nearly as easy as they're making it look. I'm walking in blind and I'm a few missions ahead. Boy howdy are my missions a lot bloodier than the lp ones. I'm starting to figure out some stuff that works(on the last mission)

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

I look forward to being blown away by the odds against you.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

How cute that the thread is rooting so hard for me to suffer horribly. I will say it is definitely getting harder to look like I know what I'm doing, esp. on the random maps which don't allow for planning out 'X happens at this point, so I'll do Y then'. But we are continuing to inch our way towards the sharper end of the stick for sure.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
lol goons love watching the LPers they like suffer. frankly, it's a compliment and testamemt to your skill

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Anabasis (20:33)

As you'll probably gather, I expected this one to go worse than it did. The remaining parts of the plot's triumvirate have very different ideas on what to do next. We are basically required to cast our lot with Dr. Cassander, but eventually have a lot of resources to do it with. Enraged aliens are back and this time not just for a brief appearance, but there's not a whole lot else we have to worry about other than protecting the doctor.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

An anabasis is not a generic word for a military expedition, but instead refers to a march from a coastline to the center or uplands of a country. It's often used in reference to The Anabasis, an account of the March of the Ten Thousand by Xenophon where a bunch of Greek mercenaries joined the losing side in an Imperial Persian civil war and had to escape afterwards.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

From what I can tell it's not either/or, but is used both ways. Often the specific original meaning gives way to a more generic usage later on in linguistics. Ofc it would have perhaps been better for me to be more thorough and mention the original source, but then it would have made the intro longer, so ... *shrug*. In any case, I've put a brief pinned comment on the video regarding that reference.

Strategic Sage fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Feb 24, 2022

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

drat good juggling there. I like how the game utilizes the Aliens getting harder with every capture point by having an uncontrollable friendly unit capturing them before you are ready.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
Well that was an extremely confusing mission, more than anything else I've seen so far. Are we going to go after the engineering upgrade? I know it's the cheapest one we have access to, but I don't know what you'd do with it.

Tombot fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Feb 24, 2022

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

You might be surprised. I think an argument can be made that Engineering is the most OP upgrade in the game. Takes away the need to actually get to your target if you can just remote-build turrets/mines/whatevers right next to it.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Strategic Sage posted:

You might be surprised. I think an argument can be made that Engineering is the most OP upgrade in the game. Takes away the need to actually get to your target if you can just remote-build turrets/mines/whatevers right next to it.

Holy cow that sounds way too good.

Kinfolk910
Nov 5, 2010
Only downside is that it spends your ammo to do so. That said building mines almost on top of enemy bases is hilarious. Can't do it on top because it wont let you.

My only notes from that last mission is you probably should have gotten the grenade building and a medical drop pods. Otherwise its a fairly normal stomp with robotics.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

I totally gave up on tracking Drake after his couple of captures. I enjoyed this mission as a balance of juggling attacking where the doctor was going and having to dive across the map to take out enemy fortifications that would flank you.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Brief semi-spoiler here: the next mission, coming up later this week, is a new random type (Survival). I'm going to be doing this somewhat differently - something closer to a 'highlight' reel, jumping around a bit to different stages, and not pushing the envelope as far as I could. A couple reasons for this:

** It's VERY tedious and time-consuming otherwhise. The gimmick is 'the attacks continue to scale up until you die'. Thing is, it is (or at least was) possible to not die, ever, if you use all of the upgrades in the game (we don't have them all yet). So it's a mission that if I really pushed the envelope, would either be A) infinite or B) at the very least, take well over an hour.

** The sheer volume and scale of combat involved is beyond what my system can handle. It just grinds things to a choppy near-halt. This makes the first problem much worse.

** There's enough bugginess involved in this particular map type, which I think was a DLC add-on, to aggravate me also.

** Basically a potentially interesting gimmick of a map but not balanced nearly well enough to make it worth playing if you're doing it competently/well.

So feel free to skip this week's video if any of this bothers you, I wouldn't blame you. I might skip it if I wasn't the one making it. Next week we'll get back to the main storyline. My only goal here really is going to be to demonstrate how the map works, some of the more dangerous things the map is capable of throwing at the player, make a half-decent amount of cash for this point in the game and then just get out and away from a bad memory. I've been working out how to deal with this for an embarassingly long amount of time ... and yeah, I'm just done with it :colbert:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

There's something strangely hilarious seeing your last outpost fall and then seeing 'VICTORY' afterwards.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Survival* (40:19)

Yes, 40 minutes is the 'short' version of this, although actual mission time is only half that. For those who aren't gluttons for punishment, a few points of interest that might be worth popping into: Achievements discussion near the beginning, Burrowing Hive mutation at 12:52, Necrophage mutation at 24:41, and why Mimic Minigunners Suck + wrap-up at 35:15.

The completely stupid way in which I use Engineering in the next map, returning to the storyline, will either be an added dose of punishment or a reprieve, depending on your perspective. Suffice to say there will be cheese aplenty.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

I think the biggest insult to injury on this game mode is just how little it pays out. After putting up that defense all sage got back was a measly 40k at a point when upgrades cost at least 100k and missions that take half the time give at least twice that.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
Well at least its a good place to experiment with all of the weapons and buildings. Honestly I think it could have done with some extra mechanics to reward destroying the nests like point multipliers etc.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Samovar posted:

There's something strangely hilarious seeing your last outpost fall and then seeing 'VICTORY' afterwards.

Raid maps can do that also if you run out of time before clearing them.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Tension (31:57)

Breaking out an extra-large can of Engineering cheese, we trivialize this tug-of-war into a rofflestomp. There are crates. So many crates. We'll have one more plot mission up next, the penultimate mission from the storyline, and that one might be my favorite map of the campaign. It's definitely another difficulty bump. Then there'll be a number of random maps to catch up on before the finale (and even more randoms after that, so it's not really the finale but ... yeah, we'll get to that). Next mission also has a disturbing plot reveal that I think will interest some people in this thread.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
That is a TON of enemies being thrown at you. What is the general strategy to get the achievement without abusing engineering bay? Just too many baddies hitting too often.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Stuffing the entrance with mines so the tiny handful of clone troopers that made it through were mostly dead was pretty funny, but I'm curious why mines and not turrets. I assume "turrets can be shot and destroyed, mines can't"?

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
I wouldn't really call "using the technology and resources given to you by the game" Cheesing by any stretch. After all it's you vs a virtually infinite army of clones, you need every advantage you can get.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
Yeah, cheese every mission. The bugs don't play fair, so why should you?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

racerabbit posted:

Yeah, cheese every mission. The bugs don't play fair, so why should you?

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Donkringel posted:

What is the general strategy to get the achievement without abusing engineering bay? Just too many baddies hitting too often.

In general, ramp up as quick as you can, maybe take out a hive or too earlier. Balance marines between slowing down the clone troops - won't be able to stop them, but you can get quite a few more crates than they do. Then you won't have quite the force at the end so you'll need to be a little more careful. It's just somewhat harder, but still quite doable.

MechaCrash posted:

Stuffing the entrance with mines so the tiny handful of clone troopers that made it through were mostly dead was pretty funny, but I'm curious why mines and not turrets. I assume "turrets can be shot and destroyed, mines can't"?

Pretty much. You can get four turrets for about the same price, but the clones will constantly be shooting at them and you'll constantly be rebuilding them and they won't be as effective as the mines overall. Mines being as cheap as they are, and all that. Plus grubs from the hives will head towards the turrets and get in on the act.

Tombot posted:

I wouldn't really call "using the technology and resources given to you by the game" Cheesing by any stretch.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. I just think Engineering is OP and probably shouldn't be in the game (or else it should cost a lot more than it does).

Fun fact; afaik the best way to get cash if you need it is to play the first map we fight the Harvester on. You can win it in about 30 seconds by just using engineering from the start to spam turrets by the thing, and that's $40k I believe. Lather-rinse-repeat until you have the money you need. .

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
Belatedly, the bugs have been instantly building things near YOUR stuff forever, you’re just finally taking a page out of their book and copying them for a change.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Turrets and mines were what I immediately thought of when the engineering bonus came up and that seemed like the perfect mission to use it in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Periapsis (37:09)

In a sense, this is a 'getting the cast back together' episode - in another, it reveals that Dr. Cassander has gone Full Mad Scientist, which apparently is the only way we have a chance to stop the Harvester. It's pretty much non-stop action and a steady progression of enemies in this fight, and there are plenty of deaths to go around - ours and the Army's. We will be diverting now for a number of random missions before returning to the plotline for the final battle.