Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Willem Dafoe was remarkable in this. Was he this good in the first Spidernan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

massive spider posted:

Well yeah I mean that's what they'll do, its just gonna be odd if the next movie cast is a total clean break from the last one save Holland.

Is Peter gonna date a Gwen Stacy and meet a Harry Osborne? If so, doesn't he have kind of a hint as to where they're going since he met the other universe spider mens who mentioned them? Or is it a cast of totally new OC spider friends?

I guess he knows that things can pan out differently in different universes. Harry in the Raimi universe didn't kill Gwen for example. And Oscorp doesn't exist in the MCU - as Norman pointed out it would be totally redundant since Stark already created a technological dystopia.

Astrochicken posted:

Yes. Arguably he was having more fun in the original but he's great in both.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Dafoe always understands the assignment.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

stev posted:

I guess he knows that things can pan out differently in different universes. Harry in the Raimi universe didn't kill Gwen for example. And Oscorp doesn't exist in the MCU - as Norman pointed out it would be totally redundant since Stark already created a technological dystopia.

Yes. Arguably he was having more fun in the original but he's great in both.

I do appreciate that in this one he smashed the goblin mask early because this movie understood that William Dafoe Green Goblin is much scarier looking like William Dafoe than with a goofy mask.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

You should absolutely watch Raimi Spiderman 1 and 2 if you haven't.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Astrochicken posted:

Don’t be fooled. He was obviously better in the original

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

There was a blink and you miss it shot where Dr Strange winced and held his stomach. I thought it was going to have some payoff but now I'm wondering if I even saw what I think I saw. Am I imagining it?

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Dignity Van Houten posted:

There was a blink and you miss it shot where Dr Strange winced and held his stomach. I thought it was going to have some payoff but now I'm wondering if I even saw what I think I saw. Am I imagining it?

Was it towards the beginning? I believe he got banged up bringing Lizardman in.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Watched Amazing Spider-Man 2 for the first time the night before seeing No Way Home and I'm glad I did.

Some bits felt like Amazing Spider-Man 2.5 for the Andrew Garfield Spidey.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

AndyElusive posted:

Watched Amazing Spider-Man 2 for the first time the night before seeing No Way Home and I'm glad I did.

Some bits felt like Amazing Spider-Man 2.5 for the Andrew Garfield Spidey.

Honestly, I think part of the reason they green lit this was to give Maguire and Garfield better send offs than they got. I know it probably won't happen but it would be great if they could do a 10 minute follow up to see what happened to them.

Also, does anyone have an HD Screen cap of when the universe starts coming apart and you can apparently see outlines of Karven and Socrpion?

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Mooseontheloose posted:

Honestly, I think part of the reason they green lit this was to give Maguire and Garfield better send offs than they got. I know it probably won't happen but it would be great if they could do a 10 minute follow up to see what happened to them.

Also, does anyone have an HD Screen cap of when the universe starts coming apart and you can apparently see outlines of Karven and Socrpion?

I'm pretty sure I saw comic version Rhino as well. What was up with the statue of liberty? It was gold and they were adding a shield? Was it destroyed/damaged in a previous movie and I forgot?

Kaddish fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Dec 20, 2021

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

There's no HD copy floating on the net so you'll have to wait to confirm.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Kaddish posted:

I'm pretty sure I saw comic version Rhino as well. What was up with the statue of liberty? It was gold and they were adding a shield? Was it destroyed/damaged in a previous movie and I forgot?

No, they were just morons who were ruining a historic monument to "honor" Captain America. There was a background scene in the movie where some dude on a call in radio show said "yeah I'm a patriot who loves America and the Avengers but putting Captain America's shield on the Statue of Liberty is a bad idea" so it was kind of portrayed as a good thing that it was destroyed.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I don't get why they were replacing the torch with a shield rather than the tablet. Would have looked better that way imo

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Kaddish posted:

Copper, technically. :science: I had the same thought, that maybe it had been destroyed, and the original copper coloring was because they had rebuilt it. Apparently not though, they showed it intact during Endgame.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I guess replacing the torch with a shield is apropos considering.....

Baronash posted:

Copper, technically. :science: I had the same thought, that maybe it had been destroyed, and the original copper coloring was because they had rebuilt it. Apparently not though, they showed it intact during Endgame.

Lol, yes that was my confusion as well. It looked like new copper so I was confused.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Mameluke posted:

I don't get why they were replacing the torch with a shield rather than the tablet. Would have looked better that way imo

They probably didn’t want the tablet’s text removed but also didn’t want to add it to the shield.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Think about what a seismic societal shift has been caused because of the Avengers and Thanos. I'm surprised there isn't a monument to them that's bigger than the SoL.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

stev posted:

Think about what a seismic societal shift has been caused because of the Avengers and Thanos. I'm surprised there isn't a monument to them that's bigger than the SoL.

I think the only mention of the blip was Strange not being Sorcerer Supreme unless I missed something.

That's kind of what's bothering me with the plot. Both the blip and the consequence thereof aren't really explored fully and now we have a new movie with a crazy uni/multiverse consequence and we just sort of have to shrug.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

They weren't even removing the torch, they were literally just building a shield to attach to the hand holding it.

I agree with the dude who called into the news show, it was a bad idea that went too far and it was a good thing that battle destroyed it.

Kaddish posted:

I think the only mention of the blip was Strange not being Sorcerer Supreme unless I missed something.

That's kind of what's bothering me with the plot. Both the blip and the consequence thereof aren't really explored fully and now we have a new movie with a crazy uni/multiverse consequence and we just sort of have to shrug.

The MCU shows have been doing lots to expand on the effects and after-effects of the snappening/blip. Not every movie needs to add this element to their plots when the shows can handle that lifting.

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Dec 20, 2021

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

AndyElusive posted:

They weren't even removing the torch, they were literally just building a shield to attach to the hand holding it.

I agree with the dude who called into the news show, it was a bad idea that went too far and it was a good thing that battle destroyed it.

The MCU shows have been doing lots to expand on the effects and after-effects of the snappening/blip. Not every movie needs to add this element to their plots when the shows can handle that lifting.

On Hawkeye, Yelena mentions wanting to see the new and improved Statue of Liberty, which is actually a little confusing since NWH takes place between Halloween and Christmas and Hawkeye at Christmas so they'd really have to work overtime to fix/finish it.

Also, it would've worked better thematically for Spider-Man if they changed it to honor Iron Man, though I suppose Steve and the Statue are both American icons

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

AndyElusive posted:

That's fair.

Goddamn, I loved the Murdock/DD scene. He would work well in a down-to-earth Spidatman movie.

Are we doing spoilers in this thread or not, because I haven't been using spoiler tags for the last few posts. We have two threads talking about this movie.

Kaddish fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Dec 20, 2021

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

AndyElusive posted:

I do like that they were lazy and just crammed more poo poo into Lady Liberty's hands. She can probably fit a Stormbreaker for Thor in her tablet hand and some arrows for Hawkeye clutched in her teeth too

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Mameluke posted:

I do like that they were lazy and just crammed more poo poo into Lady Liberty's hands. She can probably fit a Stormbreaker for Thor in her tablet hand and some arrows for Hawkeye clutched in her teeth too

And thus totally missing the point.

Edit - The filmmakers even made a point to show the shield being destroyed and the next shot the torch.

Kaddish fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Dec 20, 2021

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

I swear to god this dialogue was written by an AI that was fed every Jos Whedon script and then told to write one of those "BLANK Movie" 'parodies.' This poo poo of characters not taking anything seriously in movies really needs to end.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

EdsTeioh posted:

I swear to god this dialogue was written by an AI that was fed every Jos Whedon script and then told to write one of those "BLANK Movie" 'parodies.' This poo poo of characters not taking anything seriously in movies really needs to end.

Sir, this is a Spider-Man movie.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

This was a good movie, I probably liked it best of the spiderman trilogy thus far.

Amazing Spiderman being able to save MJ and his reaction to it was probably my favorite point in the movie, but I liked all of it overall. The weakest scene to me was probably... well, I didn't like most of Sandman's stuff.

It was really cool having him show up to help against Electro, but when they had the 3v3 shot of the spideys vs lizard electro sandman he just felt out of place.

Would have been cooler if he was fighting against electro and spiderman at the same time, since his goal was to push the button and go home, and the other two wanted to destroy the way home.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

AndyElusive posted:

Sir, this is a Spider-Man movie.

It's YOU who's out, Gobby - out of your MIND!

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

It's YOU who's out, Gobby - out of your MIND!

The Raimi movies are good because the characters take things insanely seriously.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

EdsTeioh posted:

Lol, it's not even close to that bad.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

porfiria posted:

The Raimi movies are good because the characters take things insanely seriously.

Spider-Man 3 is a lot better when you watch it as a melodrama. All the memes about Bully Maguire seem to miss that he's supposed to be be stupid.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Literally an entire part of the movie where there isn't a single joke made while Peter Parker grapples with the grief and rage over the death of his Aunt May while being comforted by his best friends and the alternate dimension Spider-Men sympathize with him and share their own personal pain and tragedy.

EdsTeioh watching: "This Jos Whedon poo poo with characters not taking anything seriously in movies really needs to end!!!"

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

porfiria posted:

I am 100% on board with Raimi's Spider-Man and Spider-Man 2. My only issue is some of the art direction/production design but everything else is A+++.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

live with fruit posted:

Spider-Man 3 is a lot better when you watch it as a melodrama. All the memes about Bully Maguire seem to miss that he's supposed to be be stupid.

Okay but it’s also supposed to be funny and it is lmao

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

There's a lot of earnest sincerity in Raimi's Spider-Man that makes them a joy to watch. It would have been easy to put in a bunch of ironic jokes to the scene where Aunt May prays on her bedside followed by Green Goblin blowing up the wall and forcing her to finish the prayer while cackling evilly, but its delivered completely straight. It's the kind of corny that is also present in the Star Wars Prequels, and the LOTR trilogy to a lesser extent, where it might sound hokey and awkward, but the sincerity in the delivery makes the movies very easy to quote.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Kaddish posted:

Lol, it's not even close to that bad.

<normal movie flow, character says something> BIG PAUSE IN THE SCORE <other characters make fun of the situation>

Repeat for 2.5 hours. Absolutely was the poster child for that.

I did like DeFoe and Molina a lot though.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

EdsTeioh posted:

<normal movie flow, character says something> BIG PAUSE IN THE SCORE <other characters make fun of the situation>

Repeat for 2.5 hours. Absolutely was the poster child for that.

I did like DeFoe and Molina a lot though.

That really didn't happen that much. Maybe 4 times? The most egregious was the "it still sounds weird" and "Otto Octavius!" "ha ha!" stuff. That's, what? 5 lines?

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Roth posted:

There's a lot of earnest sincerity in Raimi's Spider-Man that makes them a joy to watch. It would have been easy to put in a bunch of ironic jokes to the scene where Aunt May prays on her bedside followed by Green Goblin blowing up the wall and forcing her to finish the prayer while cackling evilly, but its delivered completely straight. It's the kind of corny that is also present in the Star Wars Prequels, and the LOTR trilogy to a lesser extent, where it might sound hokey and awkward, but the sincerity in the delivery makes the movies very easy to quote.

Shakesperian in that it hams it up for the back of the audience.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

On the one hand Toby Maguire is very unconvincing as a teenager, on the other hand the first thing he does on getting superpowers is use them to try to get a car to impress a girl, which is the thing a teenager who got superpowers would obviously do rather than decide to fight crime at night in the hopes of becoming an avenger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Mooseontheloose posted:

Shakesperian in that it hams it up for the back of the audience.

There some wonderful little touches in Spider-Man. Remembering Osborne's "oh! It's cold!" complaint when he gets the metal bands on him right before he's injected with the Goblin serum makes me smile. It is such a nice little character moment. In fact, I really love Raimi's tone switching, it's one of my favorite things about HK cinema as well. Big huge bombastic otherworldly ham-handed poo poo followed up with fun little intimate character work. Sometimes in the same scene. Great stuff.

Alchenar posted:

On the one hand Toby Maguire is very unconvincing as a teenager, on the other hand the first thing he does on getting superpowers is use them to try to get a car to impress a girl, which is the thing a teenager who got superpowers would obviously do rather than decide to fight crime at night in the hopes of becoming an avenger.

He was also very convincing as a creep that nobody would like, and I don't mean that as an insult.