Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Just watched this yesterday for the first time. It's been at least a decade since I've seen another Scream movie but this seemed fine, not great nor terrible by the standards of the franchise. I seem to recall the original two at least being a bit more fun with the meta stuff, but I might be misremembering. This one felt to just reference the rules of the genre a few times which has been done plenty by now. Some fun fakeouts with the doors at least :v: but maybe they coudl've done something to gently caress with the pretentious horror genre rather than just reference it explicitly a few times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Its biggest strengths were David Arquette in general and Jasmin Savoy Brown surprisingly doing a good job with the nu-Randy stuff. It also looks really good.

Rewatching it, the dialogue in the third act gets pretty hokey, which happens with the meta stuff in this franchise anyway, but it's a little off in this one.

Ghost Dad has extremely grown on me and i love it now. (I still think Melissa Barrera kinda sucks though)

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
It did really make me want see Arquette get another shot at being in bigger movies

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Arquette surprised the hell out of me and was the best part of the movie.

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005

mobby_6kl posted:

but maybe they coudl've done something to gently caress with the pretentious horror genre rather than just reference it explicitly a few times.

I've been assuming this was what the character of Sam was for, what with her doing a dramatic family secret reveal super early in the movie and getting told to gently caress off, and having a mental illness not be the seed of some grand metaphor or twist but in fact something that is straightforwardly helpful at the end

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

LesterGroans posted:

(I still think Melissa Barrera kinda sucks though)

she was a drag on in the heights as well, which is saying something because if ever there were a chain made of weak links...

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

So I have a theory for Scream 6 that would help explain and address the complaints about how Dewey was overpowered by Amber who's so much smaller than him and that's in Scream 6 it's revealed there was a third killer that the other two didn't reveal, and they will likely be the main killer in 6. If you're continuing with the whole Scream being a meta commentary on movie cliches well you could have 6 flashing back to 5 with certain changes to account for this and that will be a nice rift on retcons.

Just Chamber fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Apr 20, 2022

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

R. Guyovich posted:

she was a drag on in the heights as well, which is saying something because if ever there were a chain made of weak links...

Legitimately forgot she was even in that.

Jenna Ortega's got the chops though.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Just Chamber posted:

So I have a theory for Scream 6 that would help explain and address the complaints about how Dewey was overpowered by Amber who's so much smaller than him and that's in Scream 6 it's revealed there was a third killer that the other two didn't reveal, and they will likely be the main killer in 6. If you're continuing with the whole Scream being a meta commentary on movie cliches well you could have 6 flashing back to 5 with certain changes to account for this and that will be a nice rift on retcons.

Doesn’t she say that it was an honor to be the one to kill Dewey? Like, I guess they could retcon it to be that she meant it was an honor to be part of the group that killed him, but that’s pretty sloppy retconning.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

OldSenileGuy posted:

Doesn’t she say that it was an honor to be the one to kill Dewey? Like, I guess they could retcon it to be that she meant it was an honor to be part of the group that killed him, but that’s pretty sloppy retconning.

Well I think you could just say that she was either saying that just to gently caress with and upset Gale because she was that type of psycho or by taking ownership of that kill it was partly to throw them off any sort of idea there was a third killer out there. I say it's a theory, it's more an idea I had that I doubt they'll do but I think could be neat seeing as there's never been three killers killing together

Just Chamber fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Apr 21, 2022

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
This thread got me to watch the original Scream for the first time tonight and I really enjoyed it, enough that I immediately put on Scream 2. Seems like the consensus is that 2 is really good too and then 3 is where it starts to get iffy? Not gonna get around to it tonight either way but curious how 3 and 4 hold up

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

goferchan posted:

This thread got me to watch the original Scream for the first time tonight and I really enjoyed it, enough that I immediately put on Scream 2. Seems like the consensus is that 2 is really good too and then 3 is where it starts to get iffy? Not gonna get around to it tonight either way but curious how 3 and 4 hold up

Pretty much. Some prefer 2 or say that it's neck and neck but I think the second falls apart a little in the third act.

3 sees Kevin Williamson get the boot in favour of Ehren Kruger and it's obvious. Parker Posey is great in it (and though I think Cox is underrated, Posey would have killed as Gale Weathers) but the killer poo poo ties itself into a pretzel and there's a big retcon that I find pretty lovely. The Hollywood setting and having Lance Henrikson clearly sitting in as a Weinstein are the only interesting things about it.

4 isn't bad. Kevin Williamson came back! Everyone got excited! Then midway through shooting they get rid of Williamson and bring back Ehren Kruger. So we get a half assed version of what was intended. It also looks like a sitcom. However, there's a copy on YouTube that has the deleted scenes structured back in and is a better movie than what came out in cinemas.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Thanks! Yeah I loved the killer reveal in the first movie but I didn't think the second was able to tie a bow on things quite as neatly. Still didn't sour my enjoyment though, that was a great sequel. Sounds like it's definitely at least worth making time for 3 and 4, I appreciate the recommendation on the YouTube cut.

My big takeaway from seeing them the first time was what a good time the main cast seemed to be having with the scripts -- their performances went a long way towards just making the movies fun

goferchan fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Apr 21, 2022

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
2 gets points from me for having two really good suspenseful sequences (the cop car and recording studio bits), plus Timothy Olyphant devouring the scenery.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

DrVenkman posted:

4 isn't bad. Kevin Williamson came back! Everyone got excited! Then midway through shooting they get rid of Williamson and bring back Ehren Kruger. So we get a half assed version of what was intended.

I didn't know this but it explains a lot

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I didn't know this but it explains a lot

It's a large reason Craven actively poo poo on the movie after it was released, saying that "I signed up to direct a movie written by Kevin, and unfortunately that didn't happen."

DrVenkman posted:

Pretty much. Some prefer 2 or say that it's neck and neck but I think the second falls apart a little in the third act.

I give Scream 2 a little bit of a free pass because Williamson had to frantically rewrite the third act and the killers' identities during shooting, after the script leaked out to the Internet and the fanzines.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
I know it might feel a bit cheesy, but to help refresh the series I would have loved for them to change genres to more modern horror.

Like I get that it's a slasher meta commenting on the slasher genre but times have also moved on in terms of what horror is.

If the next scream was in the vein of something more like it follows, or the Blair witch/found footage or something (not the best examples, but you know what I mean).

Ie an actual "the rules of horror have changed" meta commentary that keeps the new characters on their toes rather than each film basically retreading the same stuff as the first.

It runs the risk of the series being turned into a different genre every year or two though.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Timby posted:

It's a large reason Craven actively poo poo on the movie after it was released, saying that "I signed up to direct a movie written by Kevin, and unfortunately that didn't happen."

I give Scream 2 a little bit of a free pass because Williamson had to frantically rewrite the third act and the killers' identities during shooting, after the script leaked out to the Internet and the fanzines.

Williamson has kind of debunked this now. He was on the Horror Queers podcast where they ask him specifically about this time. I'll paraphrase but he says that maybe it's his memory but he doesn't remember making changes because of the Internet, but what they did do was when they were casting they had a 70 page script for people to read but also intentionally 'leaked' some fake endings.

They wrote one that made Dewey the killer (Williamsons assistant wrote it) and knew someone running a movie blog and had them leak pages because they were concerned the real ending would get out.

He talked his opening for SCREAM 3 as well, that opens with Sydney and a domesticated life. She's attacked and is stabbed multiple times but keeps fighting back and the scene ends with her killing her attacker and then it cuts to 2 years later. When it got ditched he admitted to reusing it for THE FOLLOWING.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I think the whole serial killer cult thing from The Following was an early Scream 3 script, with Stu having survived and orchestrating everything from prison.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I downloaded the leaked script for Scream 2 before it came out and printed the entire thing out to read lol.

I forget who the killer was in that draft but there was only one of them and also Sidney died at the end.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I thought those scripts were decoys

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I downloaded the leaked script for Scream 2 before it came out and printed the entire thing out to read lol.

I forget who the killer was in that draft but there was only one of them and also Sidney died at the end.

Pretty sure that one has Cotton as the killer and he and Sydney die together. Dewey is killed in the sound booth and Gale is killed during the showdown.

What I think happened is that the 70 page script that they were giving to actors for casting got out and someone tacked on one of the fake endings and it entered Hollywood lore.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

DrVenkman posted:

Pretty sure that one has Cotton as the killer and he and Sydney die together. Dewey is killed in the sound booth and Gale is killed during the showdown.

I think this was the one, yeah.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
There was also an ending where there was like 5 killers working together

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

MacheteZombie posted:

There was also an ending where there was like 5 killers working together

Yeah, the real original ending had Mrs. Loomis, Cotton, Derek and Hailey as the killers. That's the one that got leaked and prompted all the rewriting and re-shooting; Craven talks about it in the original Scream 2 DVD commentary.

Williamson's memory is just a little off.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Red Letter Media had Jack Quaid on the episode they just uploaded and Mike spoils the movie right at the beginning lol

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Lol. That rocks

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Glad I watched it as soon as I did lol

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I finally watched Scream 5, it's alright. I think the fact that Scream is my favorite movie makes me more forgiving of the sequels because I never expect them to live up to it. I will say, that I think this one did a decent job of feeling like a Scream movie with the tone of the opening scene the whole way through.

I think the one thing that could really, really make a Scream 6 work for me is if there was a third killer and it happened completely alongside Scream 5.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Also finally got around to watching this, and its high points really made it work for me. I loved that I recognized bits and pieces of The House even though I've only ever seen each Scream movie once around when they came out; it dealt with its own iconic...ness... without overestimating its importance in the genre imo.

I couldn't help but watch it through the Star Wars lens after that hilarious deconstruction and it really made me imagine a version of the Sequel Trilogy where Rey struggles with visions of Darth Vader while seeing Kylo act as a failed impersonator. And alongside all of this dealing with goofy mythology, it gave Courtney Cox and David Arquette a really nice cinema send-off to their own real world relationship. And I hadn't realized it but they met while filming Scream 1!

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

https://twitter.com/THR/status/1524517726483533824?t=UVk-GZFatr85m7zb-6pD9w&s=19

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Heck yeah. She was the best part of the movie and I think Craven had mentally slotted her as surviving if he went back to do another one.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I think it was in her contract that she survived, lmao, since the original plan for the fifth movie revolved around her and Emma Roberts' character duking it out in hospital.

This loving loving loving owns btw. Her performance during the trivia section in 4 is really really good.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

Open Source Idiom posted:

This loving loving loving owns btw. Her performance during the trivia section in 4 is really really good.

In that scene she is literally pleading with the killer not to remake Scream, and it just might be the greatest meta moment in a series that's all meta all the time.

In hindsight I would've loved if she responded to Ghostface's assertion that Peeping Tom is the first slasher film with a desperate, "Wait! No, I disagree. I disagree! It's a matter of opinion, rear end in a top hat!"

Finally, it's a tough thing to get across on film, and it kind of flew by me on first watch, but I think it's a chilling idea that if you actually manage to win Ghostface's game he simply vanishes. On the phone, at least.... No confirmation, no immediate hang up, no response at all, just silence. Spooky!

SidneyIsTheKiller fucked around with this message at 00:22 on May 27, 2022

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
On a recent rewatch I caught something truly special. When Sidney tells Gale that she placed a GPS tracker on the car, Neve Campbell delivers the line like she's imitating Parkey Posey's character Jennifer Jolie in Scream 3. The line is even similar to one in Scream 3. It's really fantastic,

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...
^It's been months since I've seen it. Was the line "Gale Weathers would find a way" or similar? Because LOL I didn't pick up on that 'til just now.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

^It's been months since I've seen it. Was the line "Gale Weathers would find a way" or similar? Because LOL I didn't pick up on that 'til just now.

Yeah, that's the line from Scream 3. I think Sidney's line in 5 is "Seems like something Gale Weathers would do."

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/THR/status/1533034583050096642

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Neve Campbell won’t be in the next film. They wouldn’t pay her
https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1533864571928289286?s=20&t=W1RDXx59Ge5-XIrYQl4ASA