Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

World War Mammories posted:

I remember his pride in saying “Suddenly America is the largest oil producer, that was me people ... say thank you.” and strangely I don't want to thank him for it

Well interestingly in hindsight, it's the main reason we can be punishing Putin as much as we currently are without completely loving the world economy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
He changed my life. I'll never forget that day on the pier when he yelled at me for throwing rocks at seagulls. "How would you feel if I threw rocks at you?" I'd never thought about it like that before.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
How cool would it be if the sequel to Hamilton was Obama??

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

A Strange Aeon posted:

How cool would it be if the sequel to Hamilton was Obama??

Iiiiin warm Honolulu I was born and raised
By my Muslim faith indoctrinated by rage
Choomin' out maxin, and taxin all cool
Shootin some missiles into your school
When a couple of guys who were up to no good
asked me to re-form their neighborhood
My mom got scared
she said 'You're moving up to Illinois' cold air'

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Apr 18, 2022

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is
He was the best president since Kennedy, which really isn't saying much at all if you look at who was in office. I wish he went farther, and did more to stop the GOP, but I'm more inclined to just blame the republicans for republican actions rather than the democrats.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Doctor J Off posted:

He was the best president since Kennedy, which really isn't saying much at all if you look at who was in office. I wish he went farther, and did more to stop the GOP, but I'm more inclined to just blame the republicans for republican actions rather than the democrats.

i dont understand why kennedy is seen as some kind of hero these days either. he illegally tried to invade cuba to and it was a massive fuckup.

its almost like the american military/intelligence/industrial/corporate complex is a monstrous machine that constantly invades other countries whether republics or democrats are in the white house

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

he smashed the brains of not only the right wing in america but also the left, which is even funnier

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
he somehow drone murdered like a billion muslim civilians and STILL made the chuds lose their poo poo and elect trump as president

extremely impressive

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is

Earwicker posted:

i dont understand why kennedy is seen as some kind of hero these days either. he illegally tried to invade cuba to and it was a massive fuckup.

its almost like the american military/intelligence/industrial/corporate complex is a monstrous machine that constantly invades other countries whether republics or democrats are in the white house

To your latter point, Bay of Pigs occurred very early in Kennedy's presidency, having been planned by the CIA through the end of the Eisenhower administration. He later criticized the action and the CIA for going through with it.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DerVmiZeUDw

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Of course he criticized it, it was botched under his watch. If it had succeeded do you think he would have gone "This was a er uh an act of the CIA without my knowledge and er uh support!"?

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.
Viewpoint from a civilized country:

Obama was a pretty good centre right president representing the centre right party. Americans complaining he wasn't left wing enough when their political system has never had a left wing component is a hearty lol.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Good scapegoat. Even to this day I hear people saying " Thanks OBAMMA"

I think he tried his best but welp.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
We'd get coffee every Wednesday at 11, just to catch up. He always used artificial sweeteners and credited one particular brand with his enormous professional success. "This poo poo is what keeps me on top." he'd say as he emptied three or four packets into his coffee. I'd always heard they were bad for you and I don't like sweet coffee, so I never tried it.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

He was and is a right wing loser virgin OP

The Bloop posted:

I personally know more multiple people that I care about who were saved from death and/or abject destitution by the wet fart healthcare bill that we all agree could have been much better

So I guess he was no different from trump or Hitler

Say this to someone who lost people they cared or wound up in abject destitution because of the bill didn't go far enough and see how they react. "We all agree it could have been much better" is just rationalizing death as long as it's hitting someone else

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

how do i explain obama to my kids?

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Well he was the first black president but he might be an evil commie too so you better watch out.

Also the N-word. At least that's how it was in my house growing up.

Ugh.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

He was and is a right wing loser virgin OP

Say this to someone who lost people they cared or wound up in abject destitution because of the bill didn't go far enough and see how they react. "We all agree it could have been much better" is just rationalizing death as long as it's hitting someone else

Not sure what you want here. No good thing is ever going to be good enough to not have this sort of objection raised, short of literal magic.

I agree it could have and should have been better, but it can be, and in fact is, also true that it was a marked improvement over what existed before.

He wasn't elected by leftists, and while I wish he had been, that's just not the electorate we have

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

The Bloop posted:

Not sure what you want here. No good thing is ever going to be good enough to not have this sort of objection raised, short of literal magic.

I agree it could have and should have been better, but it can be, and in fact is, also true that it was a marked improvement over what existed before.

He wasn't elected by leftists, and while I wish he had been, that's just not the electorate we have

Gee whiz he replaced the most lethal and rapacious healthcare system in the developed world with what would have been the second most lethal and rapacious healthcare system in the developed world had they existed simultaneously, what a milestone. Would you still give them so much credit if they'd instead opted to do even less with it and half of your loved ones that it saved had died? It's still an improvement, right? You should be grateful any of them lived

The electorate was completely orthogonal to any of his decisions. He served wealthy business interests and that's it

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

Bad Purchase posted:

how do i explain obama to my kids?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
You seem to be vastly overstating the amount of "credit" I'm giving him.

He signed a bill that Congress gave him that made things less lovely for a lot of people but not everyone.

I get that you don't like him, but that's just literally what happened.

And yes the electorate matters because the leftmost half of American voters are, if they have any identifiable ideology at all, capitalist incrementalists, just like Obama

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
No lie I've never voted. I just have opinions and work. Who's the next big contender?

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

The Bloop posted:

You seem to be vastly overstating the amount of "credit" I'm giving him.

He signed a bill that Congress gave him that made things less lovely for a lot of people but not everyone.

I get that you don't like him, but that's just literally what happened.

And yes the electorate matters because the leftmost half of American voters are, if they have any identifiable ideology at all, capitalist incrementalists, just like Obama

If people didn't want a public option why did he run on it

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

This is a non sequitur

but polling showed a lot of people did and still do but not enough of Congress did or do, which the president only has limited soft control over.

He doesn't have a public option lever on the desk any more than a gas prices lever

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

I asked him that very same question over coffee one Wednesday in 2010. He looked shocked - as though the question had never occurred to him. He mumbled something about "staying competitive" and we spent the next 10 minutes in awkward silence.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

The Bloop posted:

This is a non sequitur

but polling showed a lot of people did and still do but not enough of Congress did or do, which the president only has limited soft control over.

He doesn't have a public option lever on the desk any more than a gas prices lever

lol it was dead before Congress even got it because of backroom deals he made with the hospital and drug industries. The Democrats who dismantled it did it with Obama's blessing, not his opposition. He personally did not want the public option to pass and made sure it didn't

It really doesn't sound like you're familiar with the history of this poo poo at all and are leaning entirely on vague liberal platitudes

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
He was definitely a disappointment but he at best saved my life and at worst a quarter mil in medical costs so I can’t really complain too much.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

posters like theincreduloushulk are exactly why i say he broke the brains of the left too lol

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

AHH F/UGH posted:

posters like theincreduloushulk are exactly why i say he broke the brains of the left too lol

What's brokebrained about knowing the history of the ACA

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Obummer is a mass murderer who butchered weddings and hospitals with missiles and drones. Libya now has open air slave markets because he listened to Hillary as Secretary of State.

I don't give a poo poo about Obamacare, I'd much rather all that poo poo not have happened. Obamacare has not saved me any money in monthly insurance payments and in exchange for this I have to live with the fact that my friends and family voted for a mass murderer who destroyed millions of lives for profit. Obamacare was not worth the death.

It feels bad. I don't like Obama and the lionization of his horror show of a presidency just feels like a massive cope because people are scared of admitting they were duped by the political machine.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

HIJK posted:

Obummer is a mass murderer who butchered weddings and hospitals with missiles and drones. Libya now has open air slave markets because he listened to Hillary as Secretary of State.

I don't give a poo poo about Obamacare, I'd much rather all that poo poo not have happened. Obamacare has not saved me any money in monthly insurance payments and in exchange for this I have to live with the fact that my friends and family voted for a mass murderer who destroyed millions of lives for profit. Obamacare was not worth the death.

It feels bad. I don't like Obama and the lionization of his horror show of a presidency just feels like a massive cope because people are scared of admitting they were duped by the political machine.

with all of that, limps to the title of best president since carter, hands down lol

DemonToadGoat
Jan 12, 2015

TheBizzness posted:

He was definitely a disappointment but he at best saved my life and at worst a quarter mil in medical costs so I can’t really complain too much.

My friends and I would play this lovely game when we were ten, where you'd wait for an oncomming car, then shove your friend into the street. but you'd never let go of their arm, so you would in the same instant pull them back onto the side walk. You'd then yell "saved your life"

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

On a personal level I think he's a good man but he was a disappointment as a president. So much potential wasted.

I've noticed a lot of other progressives get upset when I say I think Obama is a good person. This isn't excusing it but I think people don't really fathom how pressured you are into making decisions as the leader of an empire. I think it comes from extreme black and white thinking. I don't think anyone can suggest Jimmy Carter isn't a good man. But that didn't stop him from committing war crimes, supported apartheid regimes, and financed terrorists in his term as president.

It's the nature of the job, not the person.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Apr 18, 2022

Billy Ray Blowjob
Nov 30, 2011

by Pragmatica
People with a goldfish brain idea of politics attacking people who have even a mild issue with Obama?

Billy Ray Blowjob
Nov 30, 2011

by Pragmatica

Nelson Mandingo posted:

It's the nature of the job, not the person.

And that's why any one can become President in the USA.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I don't think anyone can suggest Jimmy Carter isn't a good man. But that didn't stop him from committing war crimes, supported apartheid regimes, and financed terrorists in his term as president.

He doesn't sound like a very good man when you describe him like that

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Listen, you can't judge people by the things they say, what they do, or the effects their acts or failures to act have on the world.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Kingo Ligma posted:

Viewpoint from a civilized country:

Obama was a pretty good centre right president representing the centre right party. Americans complaining he wasn't left wing enough when their political system has never had a left wing component is a hearty lol.

oops you posted this

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Look, it's simply part of the job to do war crimes. You have to genocide or otherwise indiscriminately cause suffering in order to accomplish absolutely loving nothing. The gently caress you people want?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD posted:

with all of that, limps to the title of best president since carter, hands down lol

has there ever been a good american president? I haven't read my high school history textbook in about 30 years so I can't remember

feels like there's a drastically low bar for "best president" in any case. Anyone who war crimes other countries is a monster who should be in prison. That's not a good head of state thats just a terrible human being