Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggestBatman
Aug 23, 2018
Hal is certainly on paper the least interesting GL premise-wise, but as the one with the most history (Alan Scott hasn't had nearly a similar amount written about him) there's a lot to mine for it. The poster above is right that Johns wrote some good stuff about Hal when he could build off of all the crazy 90s stuff that happened to him.

This reminds me of people claiming superman is uninteresting because of uncharitable descriptions of his character and characterization.

Either way though, John's GL books are primarily worth reading for the characterization he gives Sinestro, not any of the heroes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
How on earth do people manage to come up with worse answers to 'what was this character during during WW2' than the Minions movie

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Hal Jordan has the coolest costume, which is enough for a guy like Johns.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

How on earth do people manage to come up with worse answers to 'what was this character during during WW2' than the Minions movie

Something something the blueprint

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Just be thankful the majority of writers decided to pretend 9/11 never happened.

For the most part. I need to track down that crying Dr. Doom jpg sometime.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The biggest damnation I can give of Geoff Johns' GL run is that it ended the same week as webcomic Dominic Deegan and it had the exact same ending.

BiggestBatman posted:

Hal is certainly on paper the least interesting GL premise-wise, but as the one with the most history (Alan Scott hasn't had nearly a similar amount written about him) there's a lot to mine for it. The poster above is right that Johns wrote some good stuff about Hal when he could build off of all the crazy 90s stuff that happened to him.

This reminds me of people claiming superman is uninteresting because of uncharitable descriptions of his character and characterization.

Either way though, John's GL books are primarily worth reading for the characterization he gives Sinestro, not any of the heroes

John Stewart was first introduced 3 years after Hal Jordan was. Guy was a bit longer but also had a huge amount of focus. Kyle was the newest but had plenty of years under his belt.

Johns didn't write anything interesting about Hal. He worked to undo interesting things about Hal. Hal wasn't aging! His cool white streaks were because of FEAR MONSTER. Hal didn't snap in the face of something awful, it was a fear bug. And everyone else is worse about the fear bug anyway so Hal is the best. And Hal is the best ever and everyone is worse than him and nobody is as good and man isn't Hal just the loving best? Not like those stupid other Green Lanterns.

Johns, unironically, writes Hal not like a fan of Hal but like someone who was a 'fan of Hal' based off wikipedia articles and half-remembered comics. Hal's biggest appeal wasn't that he was the Very Best, it was that he was kind of a dumb fuckup fighter jock rear end in a top hat. He was not this amazingly put together and strong-willed guy, he is the dude who unironically once tripped in a bathtub and his ring had to go find John Stewart to help instead. A big part of what made GL (post-Scott) interesting is that selecting for people who "have no fear and are strong of heart" means you're going to get a whole loving lot of people with incredibly strong and not inherently good personalities.

(Not to mention the GL Corps are basically Space Cops and Geoff Johns spent a *lot* of time justifying why Space Cops Should Be Able To Murder.)

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Aug 17, 2022

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Darwyn Cooke wrote the best Hal Jordan story.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
DC backing away from where they were going with legacy heroes in the 00s was such a huge mistake. Bringing back both Barry and Hal were terrible ideas.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

I don't know how well it kept those numbers up, but the premiere of the Justice League cartoon in 2001 apparently had over 4 million viewers, while Justice League comics from the decade rarely broke 200,000 sales.

Wally West and John Stewart were probably the most well known versions of the characters at that time, and I remember a lot of people unfamiliar with the comics that had seen the cartoons wondering why Green Lantern was suddenly white when they made the Ryan Reynolds movie.

Robot Style fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Aug 17, 2022

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Robot Style posted:

I don't know how well it kept those numbers up, but the premiere of the Justice League cartoon in 2001 apparently had over 4 million viewers, while Justice League comics from the decade rarely broke 200,000 sales.

Wally West and Jon Stewart were probably the most well known versions of the characters at that time, and I remember a lot of people unfamiliar with the comics that had seen the cartoons wondering why Green Lantern was suddenly white when they made the Ryan Reynolds movie.

Wally West in particular is a really sore point for me because they brought Barry back but basically everything outside of the comics (and sometimes the comics) just writes Wally West but calls him Barry.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Wally is great, but Impulse was also great and got done even dirtier.

I feel like the Ezra Miller Flash would have actually made more sense as Wally West and his trauma being that his mentor figure was a hero who died instead of the family murder stuff from the comics that was always kinda weird.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

The biggest damnation I can give of Geoff Johns' GL run is that it ended the same week as webcomic Dominic Deegan and it had the exact same ending.

John Stewart was first introduced 3 years after Hal Jordan was. Guy was a bit longer but also had a huge amount of focus. Kyle was the newest but had plenty of years under his belt.

Johns didn't write anything interesting about Hal. He worked to undo interesting things about Hal. Hal wasn't aging! His cool white streaks were because of FEAR MONSTER. Hal didn't snap in the face of something awful, it was a fear bug. And everyone else is worse about the fear bug anyway so Hal is the best. And Hal is the best ever and everyone is worse than him and nobody is as good and man isn't Hal just the loving best? Not like those stupid other Green Lanterns.

Johns, unironically, writes Hal not like a fan of Hal but like someone who was a 'fan of Hal' based off wikipedia articles and half-remembered comics. Hal's biggest appeal wasn't that he was the Very Best, it was that he was kind of a dumb fuckup fighter jock rear end in a top hat. He was not this amazingly put together and strong-willed guy, he is the dude who unironically once tripped in a bathtub and his ring had to go find John Stewart to help instead. A big part of what made GL (post-Scott) interesting is that selecting for people who "have no fear and are strong of heart" means you're going to get a whole loving lot of people with incredibly strong and not inherently good personalities.

(Not to mention the GL Corps are basically Space Cops and Geoff Johns spent a *lot* of time justifying why Space Cops Should Be Able To Murder.)

Not only that, he wrote John Stewart as an ex military jarhead instead of focusing on him being an architect first and foremost. And he then created a lebanese green lantern with a gun whose origin story is getting caught with a carbomb and mistaken for a terrorist.

Spacebump posted:

DC backing away from where they were going with legacy heroes in the 00s was such a huge mistake. Bringing back both Barry and Hal were terrible ideas.

Agreed. Even having Bruce take back the mantle was a mistake. Having Dick become Batman of Gotham and having Bruce handle the JLA level stuff was a great idea but they squandered it.

I'm also reminded that this is like the third time they've tried giving Superman a kid, fourth if you count the cloned Superboy (who Geoff Johns retconned into being half Luthor, half Kent, lol).

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Timeless Appeal posted:

Wally is great, but Impulse was also great and got done even dirtier.

I feel like the Ezra Miller Flash would have actually made more sense as Wally West and his trauma being that his mentor figure was a hero who died instead of the family murder stuff from the comics that was always kinda weird.

I'd agree with that - especially as The Flash show with Grant Gustin already covered the murder/prison dad story about as well as anything could have.

One reason that Spider-man:Homecoming is probably my favorite Spider-man movie (outside of Into the Spiderverse) is that it didn't make us go through the spider bite/woo-hoo powerz and then Uncle Ben's dead rear end yet again.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/Hbomberguy/status/1560028544725647360?s=20&t=JVKsTXY-gjujJRNgJgXSeg

Uatu The Lurker
Sep 14, 2003

I can say no more!
Already I have over stayed my time in this ephemeral sphere!

ImpAtom posted:

Please, for the love of god, go on

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

While I am burnt out on comic book movies and shows, She-Hulk is pretty drat good.
Only one ep so far but I'm gonna stick with it.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Inzombiac posted:

While I am burnt out on comic book movies and shows, She-Hulk is pretty drat good.

It's basically a law procedural version of Parks and Rec or some other quirky NBC prime-time workplace comedy that just happens to involve Superheroes. Some people will really enjoy it and some people will get annoyed that there is way more relationship drama and legal antics than fight scenes.

For what it's worth, the writers all worked on Rick and Morty, Silicon valley, Parks and Rec, and Robot Chicken and the comedy is very much in the quirky/deadpan/bizarre/pop culture-y style of those shows and I really enjoy it. But, if you don't like that style of comedy or go in expecting a ton of action scenes, then you might not enjoy it.

Tatiana Maslany is a great comedic actress and I hope she gets more exposure from this. Most people probably don't know who she is, and if they do, then it is probably from Orphan Black. Or maybe the tiny guest spots on Parks and Rec.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Aug 18, 2022

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

It's basically a law procedural version of Parks and Rec or some other quirky NBC prime-time workplace comedy that just happens to involve Superheroes. Some people will really enjoy it and some people will get annoyed that there is way more relationship drama and legal antics than fight scenes.

Wow, I knew there would be court room scenes but the first episode barely had law stuff. I'm excited for the rest of the series because the stuff at the end was my favorite part of the episode.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Spacebump posted:

Wow, I knew there would be court room scenes but the first episode barely had law stuff. I'm excited for the rest of the series because the stuff at the end was my favorite part of the episode.

The next 3 episodes are all dealing with two specific court cases and about half of the episodes are "case of the week" episodes, according to the show-runner.

They only made the first 4 episodes available for screening and there is basically no hint of the overarching plot by the end of episode 4. Combined with the 25-30 minute episode run times, it is a very old school episodic sitcom structure; unlike the other D+ shows. That is another thing that will probably be divisive, because in 4 weeks people are going to be wondering where it is all going, why every episode is self-contained, and why they have been "spinning their wheels" on the main plot for so long.

I know some people I have forced to watch the X-Files in 2021 who really enjoyed the content of the show, but basically can't stand to watch it because it has the old pre-2000 episodic structure of 3 "Monster of the Week" episodes for every 1 main story arc episode. Modern prestige TV has kind of broken that mold. Even sitcoms have overarching multiple season-long plot lines now.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

The next 3 episodes are all dealing with two specific court cases and about half of the episodes are "case of the week" episodes, according to the show-runner.

They only made the first 4 episodes available for screening and there is basically no hint of the overarching plot by the end of episode 4. Combined with the 25-30 minute episode run times, it is a very old school episodic sitcom structure; unlike the other D+ shows. That is another thing that will probably be divisive, because in 4 weeks people are going to be wondering where it is all going, why every episode is self-contained, and why they have been "spinning their wheels" on the main plot for so long.

I know some people I have forced to watch the X-Files in 2021 who really enjoyed the content of the show, but basically can't stand to watch it because it has the old pre-2000 episodic structure of 3 "Monster of the Week" episodes for every 1 main story arc episode. Modern prestige TV has kind of broken that mold. Even sitcoms have overarching multiple season-long plot lines now.

This is awesome. Thanks for all that info.

I'm excited, I miss pre-2000 episodic structure.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

If She-Hulk actually is just an episodic legal satire, then that sounds like something that's completely up my alley, but at this point I'm just going to wait for the whole thing to come out before trying it. I'm probably one of five people who would have been happier if WandaVision was entirely just a different sitcom parody each week and had no "real world" stuff or attempts to tie into some MCU narrative.

Tatiana Maslany is a great actress, and that first season of Orphan Black was incredibly addictive. I liked the whole show, but that first season was something else. She's really funny in her episodes of Comedy Bang Bang, too. It's funny, the first time she was on Comedy Bang Bang with Kristian Bruun, I actually thought "It's a shame they only got one of the clone actresses from Orphan Black and not the others" before remembering she played all of them and feeling really stupid.

She auditioned to be in both Rogue One and The Last Jedi and I can imagine her career would have gotten a big boost if she had landed either of those.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Spacebump posted:

This is awesome. Thanks for all that info.

I'm excited, I miss pre-2000 episodic structure.

Same here. I don't need everything to feed in to a massive meta plot.
Sometimes light and breezy is okay!

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Inzombiac posted:

This is also me. I legit really enjoyed the opener, more so than any other current-era MCU show.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Chairman Capone posted:

I'm probably one of five people who would have been happier if WandaVision was entirely just a different sitcom parody each week and had no "real world" stuff or attempts to tie into some MCU narrative.

Then count me as another one of those five. The show was far more interesting in the first few episodes.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Chairman Capone posted:

If She-Hulk actually is just an episodic legal satire, then that sounds like something that's completely up my alley, but at this point I'm just going to wait for the whole thing to come out before trying it. I'm probably one of five people who would have been happier if WandaVision was entirely just a different sitcom parody each week and had no "real world" stuff or attempts to tie into some MCU narrative.

Tatiana Maslany is a great actress, and that first season of Orphan Black was incredibly addictive. I liked the whole show, but that first season was something else. She's really funny in her episodes of Comedy Bang Bang, too. It's funny, the first time she was on Comedy Bang Bang with Kristian Bruun, I actually thought "It's a shame they only got one of the clone actresses from Orphan Black and not the others" before remembering she played all of them and feeling really stupid.

She auditioned to be in both Rogue One and The Last Jedi and I can imagine her career would have gotten a big boost if she had landed either of those.

Shoulda been Palpatine.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Chairman Capone posted:

I have to assume she auditioned for Jyn in Rogue One, but I wonder who she auditioned for in The Last Jedi. Rose, I guess? Or a more minor character? The only other non-Rey female characters in her age range I can think of are Rose's sister and that one pilot they made a big deal about in the lead up to the movie, and then blew up so quickly, not even I remember her name.

Either way, as hard as the wait must have been, landing a Marvel lead role later will definitely end up being a better career move, in the long run.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Aug 18, 2022

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

101 posted:

Then count me as another one of those five. The show was far more interesting in the first few episodes.

I'm also one of those 5. Having great actors showcase their range in matching old styles of stuff I grew up on in syndication was great, and only having hints of craziness in the background was key. Then it just became generic Marvel at the end.

I kind of liked Loki; it at least kept its somewhat off kilter feel throughout.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Darko posted:

I'm also one of those 5. Having great actors showcase their range in matching old styles of stuff I grew up on in syndication was great, and only having hints of craziness in the background was key. Then it just became generic Marvel at the end.

I kind of liked Loki; it at least kept its somewhat off kilter feel throughout.

Sad to say, I'm not one of those five. I loved the first episode of She-Hulk but have been struggling to fight my way through the first three episodes of WandaVision, it all just seemed so aimless.I just put on episode four after finishing She-Hulk and felt some relief when the out-of-town stuff gave it some context, something to focus on. That stuff can and probably will still suck, mind you, but my memories of bad sitcoms from days of yore are still too vivid to appreciate modern reenactments of them with one or three characters occasionally acting as if David Lynch had been on set. So far, I prefer the X-Files poo poo to the sitcom call-backs from the first three episodes.

Also yeah, Loki ruled. It's the one show I might wanna revisit.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Count me as another one who preferred Wandavision the most out of those first 3 D+ shows. I haven't watched anything else yet.

I feel like I was in a bad place during Loki because I was thoroughly meh on it the whole time. Maybe I need to rewatch it. Wilson and Hiddleston were a great duo, but the show didn't go as goofy as I would have liked for the most part. I was expecting something a bit more outlandish with the TVA, and the most we got were an alligator and action scenes that never really went anywhere. Umbrella Academy did "timeless bureaucratic monitor of the universe" better in my opinion.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Chieves posted:

Count me as another one who preferred Wandavision the most out of those first 3 D+ shows. I haven't watched anything else yet.

I feel like I was in a bad place during Loki because I was thoroughly meh on it the whole time. Maybe I need to rewatch it. Wilson and Hiddleston were a great duo, but the show didn't go as goofy as I would have liked for the most part. I was expecting something a bit more outlandish with the TVA, and the most we got were an alligator and action scenes that never really went anywhere. Umbrella Academy did "timeless bureaucratic monitor of the universe" better in my opinion.

Umbrella is better than any MCU show, yes, but I'd rate Loki high among MCU shows in which I expect exactly nothing, basically. I got *some* enjoyment and different stuff from it, which is more than almost anything else.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
WandaVision has 3 or 4 really cool interesting episodes that gave me renewed hope for the MCU being able to use it's works world and budget to make innovative weird complex television, then it just turned into a generic MCU slurry and got real real bad.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

WandaVision ditches the pretty interesting premise halfway and yeah, it's just a bog standard MCU flick. Falcon does this right out the gates. The rest has been pretty decent though. Moon Knight took a bit to get going and maybe should have been a movie but was fine - carried by Isaac.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Darko posted:

Umbrella is better than any MCU show, yes, but I'd rate Loki high among MCU shows in which I expect exactly nothing, basically. I got *some* enjoyment and different stuff from it, which is more than almost anything else.

I enjoyed Loki a lot too, Ms. Marvel was the best one overall to me though by a mile.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Falcon does tease some interesting ideas around the enemy terrorist cell being correct and good, but they can't bring themselves to lean into it and keep reverting back to the usual "you have a point but you went too far, we can only achieve change through :decorum:" shite.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

feedmyleg posted:

WandaVision has 3 or 4 really cool interesting episodes that gave me renewed hope for the MCU being able to use it's works world and budget to make innovative weird complex television, then it just turned into a generic MCU slurry and got real real bad.

If they had done it better it'd have been really funny to present the two Visions as just having a nice chill chat about what's going on while in the background you can see the witches are shooting space lasers around or whatever through a window

Or if they'd done basically anything else than what they did

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

RBA Starblade posted:

If they had done it better it'd have been really funny to present the two Visions as just having a nice chill chat about what's going on while in the background you can see the witches are shooting space lasers around or whatever through a window

That is basically what actually happened. The two Visions stop fighting each other, start talking it out, and then they decide that logically they shouldn't be fighting and white Vision just leaves.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

That is basically what actually happened. The two Visions stop fighting each other, start talking it out, and then they decide that logically they shouldn't be fighting and white Vision just leaves.

I know, but the presentation of it was bad and the space laser fight itself was very boring

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Chieves posted:

I was talking to a friend about this in that Wandavision has some pretty insane highs in terms of the show personally I enjoyed the meta breaking fight between Wanda and Vision during the 80s episode before fake(?)Pietro shows up and even I don't mind so much that they were playing the meta so to speak on that but kinda just meanders to the end and so the quality ends up varying wildly towards the end.

Loki is way more consistent a good show, so while it doesn't hit the insane high its just mostly good throughout.

Mooseontheloose fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Aug 19, 2022

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
They really should have committed to the metajoke considering the payoff in No Way Home and Multiverse of Madness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

RBA Starblade posted:

Or if they'd done basically anything else than what they did

I did appreciate that the Visions went through the classic Ship of Theseus thought experiment. I was only familiar with the one from John Dies at the End