Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

I just assumed everyone was hunt-and-peck typing with their middle fingers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
##vote Carl CX

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

CarlCX posted:

I just assumed everyone was hunt-and-peck typing with their middle fingers.

Just so I can ##unvote

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

CommonShore posted:

same but the other way.

the problem is that I did some :justpost: action and got targeted because of it. It's a pretty common first-round scum strategy in social deduction games to argue that anyone who sticks their neck out for any reason is the one who is actually scum to get someone killed fast.

Bluedeanie posted:

Day 1 is always a crapshoot so I will base my vote on the answer to this question: what is your favorite Diaz Bro Fight? Mine is Nate vs Cowboy

I am just behaving as advertised, my guy

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

CommonShore posted:

same but the other way.

the problem is that I did some :justpost: action and got targeted because of it. It's a pretty common first-round scum strategy in social deduction games to argue that anyone who sticks their neck out for any reason is the one who is actually scum to get someone killed fast.

Eh, I'm with you on the general reasoning but it's only two votes on D1 so I'm not sure if you're actually being targeted for sticking your neck out.

The Science of Suck
Mar 17, 2009

George Kansas posted:

Then that cements it tbh! Voting without ever saying why you're voting and then insisting that it's a serious vote....!

makes sense, thanks. my reasons are usually between me and my ballot box but since you showed me yours i will show you mine

joke or no the post about sitting out the game was the first scummy thing i saw and an immediate vote made sense to me since they already had a vote and votes can draw out players who are avoiding posting lest they reveal their scummy thoughts. not bad for early d1 imo.

as for not saying why i’m voting at the time, it was strategy! maybe the wrong one, but i thought the vote was the important part because the post could be explained away as purely comedic. but how would a new player who drew scum react to votes piling up? that was my thinking anyway, thanks for reading

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

The Science of Suck posted:

makes sense, thanks. my reasons are usually between me and my ballot box but since you showed me yours i will show you mine

joke or no the post about sitting out the game was the first scummy thing i saw and an immediate vote made sense to me since they already had a vote and votes can draw out players who are avoiding posting lest they reveal their scummy thoughts. not bad for early d1 imo.

as for not saying why i’m voting at the time, it was strategy! maybe the wrong one, but i thought the vote was the important part because the post could be explained away as purely comedic. but how would a new player who drew scum react to votes piling up? that was my thinking anyway, thanks for reading

I stated practicing with nunchucks halfway through this post

The Science of Suck
Mar 17, 2009

CommonShore posted:

same but the other way.

even assuming what you say is true about the strategy being common, you sound like you’re just saying ‘no u!’ right here. like, if it was an honest mistake of not reading the op what is the point of turning around and saying ‘no u!’ when you get called out?

##vote CommonShore

The Science of Suck
Mar 17, 2009

ilmucche posted:

I stated practicing with nunchucks halfway through this post

sounds like a bad time for me! i’m incredibly weak and frail, just a wisp of a thing really. i will take the honorable route of standing and banging for as long as i am able, goongrats on beating up the world’s biggest wimp though. hope your parents are proud

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

CommonShore posted:

same but the other way.

the main problem is that townie folk just loooove to post scummy things. it’s their favorite thing to do

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

ok thank you, i think you are less scummy now ##unvote

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Gumball Gumption posted:

Eh, I'm with you on the general reasoning but it's only two votes on D1 so I'm not sure if you're actually being targeted for sticking your neck out.

fwiw it’s an extremely townie thing to be upset about two votes on you lol

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

ilmucche posted:

Just so I can ##unvote

you’re a loose cannon ilmucche!

##vote ilmucche

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

George Kansas posted:

you’re a loose cannon ilmucche!

##vote ilmucche

if there's ever a thread where OMGUS is appropriate

https://i.imgur.com/6zwKrd8.mp4

##vote George Kansas

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

I think its spelled AMONGUS but yes it is also a very popular mafia game :)

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

George Kansas posted:

fwiw it’s an extremely townie thing to be upset about two votes on you lol

Except when it's scummy! And it gave me a little scum vibes but not a ton and that's mostly because I think it's always a little scummy to tell people common strats and look helpful on D1 if there are a lot of new folks.

All that said though ##Vote Dirt Road Junglist for the crime of existing but not being very memorable or opinionated yet.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Gumball Gumption posted:

Except when it's scummy! And it gave me a little scum vibes but not a ton and that's mostly because I think it's always a little scummy to tell people common strats and look helpful on D1 if there are a lot of new folks.

All that said though ##Vote Dirt Road Junglist for the crime of existing but not being very memorable or opinionated yet.

Oh, sure, pick on the quiet ones. Just over here minding my business, keeping an eye out for scum, and I get called out? Sheesh, at least I wasn't helpful.

##Vote Gumball Gumption

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Day 1 is all about establishing that you're not friends with anyone. We're in a fight. How are we gonna be friends?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Just a friendly reminder about our Lurker rule, players with less than 10 posts since the start of day one will be put on notice. :justpost:

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Realistically, I think we're just all fighting each other and then it'll be sort of weird and uncomfortable when someone mistakenly dies.

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

I dont get any largely scum vibes from anyone, bringing up lawyers was a bit strange, but sometimes you gotta protect yourself when people wont throw hands like we do in Stockton, and they hide behind laws and poo poo

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Giblert Melendez

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
wonder what chris avila is doing these days

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

JOHN CENA posted:

Just a friendly reminder about our Lurker rule, players with less than 10 posts since the start of day one will be put on notice. :justpost:

Well then I gotta poo poo post a lot more then!

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Can we award the person who posts the most insane conspiracy about who is what role (basically have to be 10000% dead wrong) the Brandon Schwab Award?

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh and do any of you think RZA should make a bio-pic on Nick/Nate Diaz and if so, who should he cast for Cesar Gracie?

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
I’m gonna come out swinging tomorrow morning while drinking my coffee.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Mekchu posted:

Oh and do any of you think RZA should make a bio-pic on Nick/Nate Diaz and if so, who should he cast for Cesar Gracie?

Method Man, obviously.

Obviously.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Method Man is a good pick but the real answer is Joey Diaz.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So for that

##Vote## Dirt Road Junglist

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Mekchu posted:

Method Man is a good pick but the real answer is Joey Diaz.

You need to match for rear end in a top hat idiot capacity rather than physical likeness, so it's Mel Gibson.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Also I don't know who is or is not scum but I'm starting hospital fights with anyone who votes for lobmob

The Science of Suck
Mar 17, 2009

Gumball Gumption posted:

been thinking about this post and it seems weird to call something scummy and then vote for a lurker

##vote Gumball Gumption

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

CarlCX posted:

You need to match for rear end in a top hat idiot capacity rather than physical likeness, so it's Mel Gibson.

I guess that depends on the tone of the movie. Who is playing the Diazes and who is directing?

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
I drank a monster instead of coffee so no hits yet.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
off the top of my head I like this take, indicative of genuine thought

been thinking about this post and it seems weird to call something scummy and then vote for a lurker

##vote Gumball Gumption

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
The 209 and Carl CX both stand out to me in that neither of them have posted any standout opinions. Not enough for me to want to vote either of them but if that becomes a pattern in days to follow could be worth notice

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Oh, sure, pick on the quiet ones. Just over here minding my business, keeping an eye out for scum, and I get called out? Sheesh, at least I wasn't helpful.

##Vote Gumball Gumption

Just a question: why do you frame it as seemingly good that you aren't helpful? that's how I'm reading it

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Mekchu posted:

So for that

##Vote## Dirt Road Junglist

This seems to not have parsed as a real vote due to the extra ## by the way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Bluedeanie posted:

Unless some scummy player just really overplays their hand, Day 1 doesn't typically yield super helpful information without Night 1 to help contextualize it, imhmpe (in my honest mafia playing experience)

My vote is staying on CommonShore even though it started as a joke post, because so far I haven't seen a better case for anyone else. I will also move my vote if it looks like it'll make the difference between bringing down the guillotine or not, as I think a no-execution Day benefits scum more often than not. Just letting you all know in case I change my vote and someone tries to call that scummy. It's not!!! You gotta believe me!!!!!

this post is weird. I liked earlier how bluedeanie started with a simple icebreaker question but this moves the needle for me the other way somewhat