Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Tiggum posted:

What... is this? I don't understand what I'm looking at here.

It's a Sorin planeswalker wearing a Dracula costume.

Here's the regular printing:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
To be a little more specific, back in 2020, they introduced the world of Ikoria, a world that was defined by having a lot of Big loving Monsters stomping around, and humans living among them. They made alternate printings of specific cards, re-imagined as fitting within the Godzilla fictional universe:

So the alternate version has the card's original name printed in small print below the alternate name. In terms of rules, the card name is always 'Brokkos, Apex of Forever' regardless of what's actually printed at the top of the card. The Dracula cards were printed for the most recent set in Innistrad, a world that's heavily inspired by nineteenth century gothic horror.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I still need to pick up a set of the Godzilla cards. Because I am a consumer whore.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Tiggum posted:

What... is this? I don't understand what I'm looking at here.

its count dracula it says right on the card

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Skios posted:

To be a little more specific, back in 2020, they introduced the world of Ikoria, a world that was defined by having a lot of Big loving Monsters stomping around, and humans living among them. They made alternate printings of specific cards, re-imagined as fitting within the Godzilla fictional universe:

So the alternate version has the card's original name printed in small print below the alternate name. In terms of rules, the card name is always 'Brokkos, Apex of Forever' regardless of what's actually printed at the top of the card. The Dracula cards were printed for the most recent set in Innistrad, a world that's heavily inspired by nineteenth century gothic horror.

This seems incredibly dumb and I hate it.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021

Randalor posted:

I still need to pick up a set of the Godzilla cards. Because I am a consumer whore.

Don't forget to pick up Void Beckoner, the most poorly timed Magic card ever :eng101:

SpaceGodzilla does have an attack called Corona Beam in universe. Unfortunately Covid hit right between the card being designed, printed and packaged and actually becoming available to customers. No further printings of the card were done, and the card name was amended for Magic Arena.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Ragnar34 posted:

Unfortunately to this day Jason is still the main character of Magic the Gathering, with his loving hoodie and everything
You say unfortunately, but consider

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

Skios posted:

Don't forget to pick up Void Beckoner, the most poorly timed Magic card ever :eng101:

SpaceGodzilla does have an attack called Corona Beam in universe. Unfortunately Covid hit right between the card being designed, printed and packaged and actually becoming available to customers. No further printings of the card were done, and the card name was amended for Magic Arena.

lmao

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
So the Jumpstart 2022 series (not sure if it's an expansion, or...with a name like Jumpstart, it's the new version of what "Portal" was?) has some anime-style art on reprints.

One of them is...uhh...I don't want to say BAD, but...yeah it's bad:

IDK, I guess I feel like almost anything in an anime-style is so weirdly out of tone with the rest of Magic, but I've seen some of the others and they look ok, this one is just...even more out of place than you'd think.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

DrBouvenstein posted:

IDK, I guess I feel like almost anything in an anime-style is so weirdly out of tone with the rest of Magic, but I've seen some of the others and they look ok, this one is just...even more out of place than you'd think.

Yes. Even other work from this artist is significantly better. We have no explanation why this one in particular is the bottom of the barrel.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

KennyMan666 posted:

You say unfortunately, but consider

Yeah okay I forgot about that.

Tiggum posted:

I hate planeswalkers so loving much.

Before the cards, the fiction of the game was that you were a planeswalker, a godlike being who can create worlds and for whom entire nations would live and die. It's an incredibly cool concept.

Then, one day, the official line switched from "we could never make a card of a planeswalker, because that card would have to effectively be a whole other player joining the game" to "planeswalkers have about 2 HP and can do exactly three very specific things."

gently caress. That.

I mean I hear you, but I figure the card is more the contract than the character. "My fee is three mana, these are the three things I'm willing to do while I'm here, and if I take three damage the deal's off and I'm out of here." Different cards for the same planeswalker are like different service packages you can purchase. Deathrite Shaman was banned because he got himself incorrectly registered as a creature so he could undercut other contractors. Wrenn and Six is his douchebag friend who keeps it above board but should lose his license anyway. We don't talk about Oko.

The anime art never works for me, but I liked this one.

But the stained glass one was still better imo

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

BaronVanAwesome posted:

from the first page but LMAO at first glance I thought he gave up the sword for golfing

Nonsense, they would never print a card like that. Because...

Here's something else I enjoy: weird rules interactions. I love cards that make things happen that the rules allow for, but obviously were not designed for. Here's one such card.

Mycosynth Lattice can make a lot of weird stuff happen. Nowadays they tend to put more restrictions on effects like this, like only affecting nonland permanents. So say you then play this card...

One of the things I love about Magic is that, if you play your cards right, you can get the game into a state of "the game is still playable but it is weird and hosed up because you did something the developers did not intend for you to do" which normally cannot be found outside of video games. Playing Mycosynth Lattice and March of the Machines fucks things up. Everything on the battlefield is now an artifact creature. All lands currently on the battlefield, and any played in the future, instantly go to the graveyard because lands have no mana cost so they are 0/0 artifact creatures. Enchantments are now enchantment artifact creatures, which is okay, but if one of those enchantments is an aura enchanting another permanent, it immediately falls off because it is a creature, then immediately goes to the graveyard because it is an aura which is not attached to anything. Planeswalkers are now artifact creature planeswalkers which can attack, and be attacked. You can use your artifact creature planeswalker to block one of your opponent's creatures from attacking you while using another one of your creatures to block one of your opponent's creatures from attacking your artifact creature planeswalker. You can also have your artifact creature planeswalker block a creature which is... attacking it... so it takes the hit... for itself.

Your creatures are now also artifacts and your artifacts are now also creatures. Pretty normal, all things considered. Too normal! Let's throw something else into the mix.

Let's say you also have a Neurok Transmuter in play, as well as an artifact. Any artifact will do as long as it costs at least one mana and isn't naturally a creature as well. Let's say... Mana Geode. Okay so Mycosynth Lattice doesn't do anything to the Mana Geode because it is already an artifact, while March of the Machines makes it a 3/3 artifact creature. Now you use Neurok Transmuter to make it blue and not an artifact until end of turn. So now it's a 3/3 blue creature, right? Well, no, because March of the Machines only makes artifacts into creatures, so when it stopped being an artifact, it stopped being a creature. Now Mana Geode is a blue... nothing.

It is a blue permanent with no type. I love this game.

Ariong has a new favorite as of 00:02 on Dec 3, 2022

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

"Maybe some dolphins have sex for pleasure."

Ariong posted:

Mycosynth Lattice can make a lot of weird stuff happen. Nowadays they tend to put more restrictions on effects like this, like only affecting nonland permanents.

I played a fun game a few months ago where my opponent played Mycosynth Lattice into my Null Rod, with no creatures in play.

Mycosynth Lattice makes *everything* artifacts, including lands. And Null Rod does not allow you to activate abilities of artifacts. You can't tap lands for mana. You cant activate the abilities of permanents. We played ~40 turn cycles of "draw, go, discard" until I eventually hit my Nether Spirit, which reanimated and I used to win the game:

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

I also like the idea of combining Mycosynth Lattice with Bludgeon Brawl

Equip a creature with four mountains for no reason. Have a creature pick up a planeswalker as a weapon. Make a creature dual-wield enchantments. Heck you could equip a creature with Bludgeon Brawl itself, so they're hitting your opponent with the concept of improvised weapons.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I was going to ask what the hell you were talking about, because mana abilities don't have a cost. Then I saw the card's changes. What the gently caress? That was changed after Mycosynth Lattice. Those fucks knew what they were doing,

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

Randalor posted:

I was going to ask what the hell you were talking about, because mana abilities don't have a cost. Then I saw the card's changes. What the gently caress? That was changed after Mycosynth Lattice. Those fucks knew what they were doing,

Unless I'm mistaken, Null Rod has always worked the same way the entire time. The way it's printed on the card was an old wording to differentiate activated abilities from static abilities. It's not that mana had to be spent on it.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Oh, another thing that happened sort of recently is that they finally changed the "hound" type to "dog." Here are some great dogs.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Magic's at its best when its just both players trying their honest best to figure out the stupid situation they worked themselves into. I once had an infinite sliver combo lose to an infinite squirrel combo that we only figured out after doing some set notation and figuring out which infinite set of infinities was technically larger to defend against which

There was technically a third player but they didn't have an infinite set so endless worm mutants from beyond spacetime and also squirrels just swarmed and obliterated them

I love Slivers. I love Sliver Overlord. I love the idea of it being the "End of Evolution" and that just being four slivers glued together

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I'm not sure if I prefer the Overlord or the Legion which is... just a fuckton of slivers. Just... a big ol' mass of slivers as 1 card.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Ariong posted:

Here's something else I enjoy: weird rules interactions. I love cards that make things happen that the rules allow for, but obviously were not designed for. Here's one such card.

It is a blue permanent with no type. I love this game.

These kinda cards make it seem like it'd be a nightmare to keep track of what anything is if it's used in physical games.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Let's not forget the reason mycosynth lattice is banned in modern.

Lattice turns this into essentially a one-card combo that goes off on turn six, which can be played in any color and relies on a planeswalker people use anyway. Wizards really needs to be more careful about making colorless cards so good.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021

Ragnar34 posted:

Wizards really needs to be more careful about making colorless cards so good.

You'd think they'd have learned that lesson somewhere around Urza's Legacy.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

The last time I seriously played MTG was when Fading was introduced so seeing all these cards is wild.

("seriously playing" just being playing with friends a few times a week with poo poo we just threw together with whatever cards we liked)

I went on a spell of really liking small pumpable creatures like Killer Bees. Always liked these little fellers.

And of course, this guy:

Ordered many a card off of a site called Anycraze. A snapshot of what it looked like as best provided by the WaybackMachine:

Also, shout out to my local Software, Etc (rest in peace old friend) where I made one of the greatest game purchases I've ever made with Mechwarrior 2: Titanium Edition with Netmech and Microprose's Magic the Gathering.

Played the absolute holy hell out of both of these. I wish my Netmech clan's website was cached in Oocities so I could revisit my dumb posts on the free Guestbook.

Unperson_47 has a new favorite as of 12:28 on Dec 3, 2022

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

Ragnar34 posted:

Let's not forget the reason mycosynth lattice is banned in modern.

Lattice turns this into essentially a one-card combo that goes off on turn six, which can be played in any color and relies on a planeswalker people use anyway. Wizards really needs to be more careful about making colorless cards so good.

Turn six???

What kind of shameful Karn deck wouldn't be ramping that baby out?

You'll notice in my previous picture that Karn Lattice is in play, but I had preemptively null-rodded for the double-sided lock.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Unperson_47 posted:

Also, shout out to my local Software, Etc (rest in peace old friend) where I made one of the greatest game purchases I've ever made with Mechwarrior 2: Titanium Edition with Netmech and Microprose's Magic the Gathering.

This game was great. And the interface was better than the current one (Magic the Gathering Arena). You could rearrange your cards, for a start.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Tiggum posted:

This game was great. And the interface was better than the current one (Magic the Gathering Arena). You could rearrange your cards, for a start.

Apparently there's a modern mod for this game that adds a lot of more recent sets, but it doesn't have a website and you have to track down an install file

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Tiggum posted:

Thats not the old multiplayer magic

Thats the single player one that focused on you as a planeswalker being an RPG character

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

ikanreed posted:

Apparently there's a modern mod for this game that adds a lot of more recent sets, but it doesn't have a website and you have to track down an install file

The story behind this is actually a bummer--it was being openly developed on a fan forum for the game, then some asshat threatened to out the project to WotC if some personal bugaboo didn't get fixed, so the modder scrubbed everything from the internet rather than deal with exposure to legal liability over a fun hobby project.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

RFC2324 posted:

Thats not the old multiplayer magic

Thats the single player one that focused on you as a planeswalker being an RPG character

Yeah, I know. It was great.

Not the RPG part - I think I tried playing that maybe twice - but the actual card game part of it that you could run as a stand-alone thing. I played it a ton.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Tiggum posted:

Yeah, I know. It was great.

Not the RPG part - I think I tried playing that maybe twice - but the actual card game part of it that you could run as a stand-alone thing. I played it a ton.

Oh kick rear end. I thought that game was lost to the sands of time or maybe a fever dream because *no one* knows what I am talking about

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

I'm not paying $30 for no jumped up proxy but obviously these are cool as hell

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

I've never actually played multiplayer through MIcroprose's Magic the Gathering - just the single player RPG mode a ton of insta-battles against the CPU.

I played multiplayer over the Internet with a friend using a program called Apprentice, I think.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Did the base Microprose game have multiplayer or just the RPG and VS AI modes? I thought that was the expansion that added in some early sets (I want to say up to The Dark?) that also added in multiplayer.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Unperson_47 posted:

I played multiplayer over the Internet with a friend using a program called Apprentice, I think.
Apprentice was cool, until Magic Workstation came along and completely blew it out of the water. Apprentice worked fine, but MWS let you import the card art so it looked a million times better. Actually, much better than Magic the Gathering Arena, because the cards weren't cropped like they are in that. And they didn't slam into each other and explode and all the other annoying bells and whistles it forces on you.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Arena rules

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Tiggum posted:

Apprentice was cool, until Magic Workstation came along and completely blew it out of the water. Apprentice worked fine, but MWS let you import the card art so it looked a million times better. Actually, much better than Magic the Gathering Arena, because the cards weren't cropped like they are in that. And they didn't slam into each other and explode and all the other annoying bells and whistles it forces on you.

Aw yeah, I was out of the game by that point probably (tried to find a release date of Magic Workstation) but I would've loved it if I had known about it at the time.

I just learned there was a MTG game that seemed to be the actual card game for the Dreamcast that was exclusively released in Japan.

Unperson_47 has a new favorite as of 11:09 on Dec 4, 2022

Tau Wedel
Aug 3, 2007

I'm fine. Everything's fine. There is no reason to worry.
Back in the day, my favorite artwork was always Phil Foglio's art for Apathy:

Just a perfect illustration of "nah, I can't be bothered".

Mechanics-wise, I like Aetherflux Reservoir:

For context, players start with 20 life, so 50 damage is usually enough to kill your opponent. Obviously what you want to do with Aetherflux Reservoir is to build up more life with its first ability and other lifegain cards, then kill your opponent with the second ability once you can actually pay 50 life without dying. But note that the ability says "target creature or player". Creatures are much less durable than players; even ten damage is entirely sufficient to kill all but the sturdiest of creatures. And the entire goal of the game is to kill your opponent, so you'll usually be better off targeting them even if they have enough life to survive 50 damage. But if you really need to go "gently caress this guy in particular" and blast a dragon out of the sky with enough damage to kill it eight times over, you can, and I just love that.

Ragnar34 posted:

I don't know where to find a complete list of background appearances offhand, so I'm assuming he's in every card ever made.

Scryfall has a list, but I don't know if it is complete.

WotC actually put out a completely straight-faced Statement on Spacegodzilla explaining how this happened.

There was another remarkable fuckup a bit earlier, relating to preview cards. See, back in the fall of 2019 WotC released the set Throne of Eldraine, which had a lot of cards inspired by fairy tales such as the three little pigs, Snow White, and so on. (It also had the best possible name for a counterspell.) In the last few weeks before the set was released, WotC, as always, previewed some of the cards in the set in order to build up interest and hype, and one of the cards picked as a preview was based on the fairy tale Rapunzel. Unfortunately somebody didn't pay quite close enough attention to the calendar, which is how WotC ended up revealing a card named Trapped in the Tower on September 11.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Squeak squeak, muthafuckas

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Theme decks always seemed like they'd be a ton of fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skios
Oct 1, 2021

The Mighty Moltres posted:

Squeak squeak, muthafuckas

One of my favourite Commander decks is Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord with about two dozen copies of Rat Colony. The best part of the deck is that you get to run a bunch of cards that are basically unplayable in Commander normally because they're designed for strategies that require you to play multiple copies of a card. Pack Hunt, Secret Salvage, Bloodbond March, Doubling Chant are all great.