Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Rarity posted:

Namor is not the smartest tool in the shed

He was looking kind of bold
With vibranium and gold
In the shape of a snake
On his forehead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

live with fruit posted:

Plus none of the Wakandans said his name correctly.
This really bothered me.

Now, full disclosure, I'm a trans woman, so I definitely have a dog in the fight, but you do not have heroes call somebody by the wrong name as a flex in a movie for children. You just don't. He even said "this is the wrong name to call me," and they kept. loving. Doing. It.

So when you combine this with the new Black Panther apparently being a huge transphobe I felt really betrayed and hurt watching this weird movie about a guy with ankle wings.

LividLiquid fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Nov 16, 2022

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Were they saying it incorrectly? I took his line to be a threatening “you should call me Namor not my real name”

But agreed, the absolute worst part of this movie is how lovely the Shuri actress is IRL.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Yeah he didn't want them calling him K'uk'ulkan and they only did it the one time

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Rarity posted:

Yeah he didn't want them calling him K'uk'ulkan and they only did it the one time

I just saw this yesterday. I thought he said his friends/followers called him K'uk'ulkan and his enemies called him Namor (or maybe N'Amor?). The Wakandans calling him Namor seemed like a pretty good indication that they were not going to be his friends. M'Baku was bringing up the whole K'uk'ulkan thing to ask "Do we really want to start some kind of eternal religious war with these people who are at least as powerful/capable as we are?"

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Really though, you have Spider-Man, Ant Man, Iron Man.

So it's reasonable to call Namor the Fish Man.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

We never see him talk to fish so who could say?

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Bottom Liner posted:

Were they saying it incorrectly? I took his line to be a threatening “you should call me Namor not my real name”

But agreed, the absolute worst part of this movie is how lovely the Shuri actress is IRL.

He said it was Namor as in "(si)n amor" and they kept saying it with the traditional Naymor pronunciation.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Disappointing they didn't do Silver Age Namor complete with gadget fish

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

live with fruit posted:

He said it was Namor as in "(si)n amor" and they kept saying it with the traditional Naymor pronunciation.

I don’t think that was what he was talking about, I think he meant them using his friendly name vs the name his enemies gave him.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Bottom Liner posted:

I don’t think that was what he was talking about, I think he meant them using his friendly name vs the name his enemies gave him.

He said his enemies call him Namor and he presented himself as their enemy.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

live with fruit posted:

He said his enemies call him Namor and he presented himself as their enemy.

Yes that is my point. He was not correcting pronunciation, he was telling them to cal him Namor and not K'uk'ulkan.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Mochiballs posted:

No a spoiler but just to be safe
It sorta sucks that Wakanda has been invaded twice successfully already. I thought it was a thing that Wakanda is hard to invade?

thats why they made movies about the two times it happened

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
I think Namor being a hard-headed rear end in a top hat is pretty accurate to his comics character. He's at best an rear end in a top hat who does the right thing in the comics, and often not even that.

Having said that, I don't know how having colonialization of the Americas happen, right in front of you, in your living memory, would gently caress with your view of world politics, but it would probably fairly badly.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Riptor posted:

thats why they made movies about the two times it happened

Lol

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Supposedly they had to digitally reduce Tenoch Huerta's bulge for the final cut of this movie.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Looking forward to the unedited and uncut version.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Jaxyon posted:

Supposedly they had to digitally reduce Tenoch Huerta's bulge for the final cut of this movie.

https://twitter.com/belovasoup/status/1592352422093283332

mystes
May 31, 2006

AndyElusive posted:

Looking forward to the unedited and uncut version.
Did they digitally circumcise him too?

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

mystes posted:

Did they digitally circumcise him too?
That would require some very sharp fingernails

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
RELEASE THE PENIS CUT

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I'm going to start a Hollywood PR firm that does nothing but spread rumors about my clients' huge penises being too big to be shown on screen.

I'll be a billionaire.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Many people are saying Namor should have been impaling fools with his fish-hog.

Pennant
Aug 24, 2007

~~~~~ everybody move your feet and feel united oooh ooh ooh ~~~~~

Laughing Zealot posted:

I'm not a fan of how the Black Panther appeared to be fully cgi a lot of the time instead of a person in a suit.

You think Letitia Wright is capable of doing flips off the side of aircraft carriers without cji assistance? Maybe let her be an actor instead of asking her to be a gymnast as well.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

the suit doesnt need to be cgi. they could make a real suit she can wear.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Pennant posted:

You think Letitia Wright is capable of doing flips off the side of aircraft carriers without cji assistance? Maybe let her be an actor instead of asking her to be a gymnast as well.

Ever since watching RRR I’ve decided that American actors need to be as good at stunts and dancing as they are at acting.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

the suit doesnt need to be cgi. they could make a real suit she can wear.

They do that for Tom Holland in his Spider-Man movies but just about every time we see him in suit with or without his mask, it's a CGI suit. Marvel does weird poo poo like that... they might as well not even give him anything to wear if they're not going to use it.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Real fabric generally doesn't work the way that you think it does when doing crazy body poo poo.

Sometimes the costume that looks the most badass also doesn't allow for movement.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Sometimes super hero hollywood costumes will have folds or contort in ways that just doesn't look good on camera so they'll CGI the entire thing like Iron Man or like in the case of Sam Wilson's Captain America suit they'll make slight alterations. It's debatable if it's always successful or not.

Case in point, reducing Namors sub size.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Jaxyon posted:

Real fabric generally doesn't work the way that you think it does when doing crazy body poo poo.

Sometimes the costume that looks the most badass also doesn't allow for movement.

I do not agree with you in the slightest. Sometimes characters are just walking and talking. There's zero reason for it to be CGI there.

Make it CGI when they're bouncing all around or whatever, but it's really lame and honestly feels insanely useless to have them do that.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Could be a weird situation where they have more control over how it looks by having it being a render than having to control for the lighting?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
It's also possible they changed design after shooting. The white avengers uniforms in endgame were entirely CG.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That's also a problem too as thats what fucks over the animators when they have to redesign something from the ground up and do it super quickly.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Browntable did a good video on how Marvel overuses CGI...two of them in fact. I haven't seen the second one though. I get they want the colors to look right or the characters to be a bit more muscled, but if they're going to make them wear an uncomfortable suit (Tom Holland has said a few times that the Spider-Man suit looks awesome but is uncomfortable to wear) they should actually make use of it. RDJ wore a sort of harness since they didn't want to make his suit physically thus the Iron Man and War Machine suits are entirely CGI.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdMArSniq-8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MU9lTOltb7I

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Technically in Iron Man 1 you had a mix of practical suits and CGI as Favreau wasn't convinced yet that the technology was at the right level yet; which is why scenes like this fight in IM1 look so impressive; I don't know what is practical effects and what is CG, but I get the sense that the practical effects and the older design just carries so much more weight compared to later suits.

I think the more recent issues with the CG being seen as "off" is more to do with bad practices, bad planning, crunch culture, too many projects with unreasonable timelines; overly designed costumes that really need their own version of an editor to trim the fat; and poor vision than the CGI itself.

Like seriously I liked Thor 4 for what it was but I got immediately annoyed when Thor went from a good costume to an overly flashy one; which I don't get the sense it was meant to be like a midlife crisis I'm going to buy a really expensive corvette sort of joke.

For the most part I'm fine with what I get, until I see how it could've been done so much better, like the comics version of Shuri's costume with the fur or the deleted scene with Zeus and then I get really annoyed.

Also not sure to what extent covid messed with production conditions and scheduling, could've been significant?

Speaking of Browntable I found it really funny when he tried to "MCU-ify" his characters costume design and it was... Really loving good!? A good eye for composition and contrast and solid skill makes it hard to gently caress up on purpose it seems :D

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title
I saw this movie when I was tired and in a bad mood and it didn't make me any less tired or improve my mood. Guess that could be on me. Sorry, movie.

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

- maybe it was my theater but a lot of the scenes were way too dark

Necrothatcher posted:

Maybe I was just in a screen with a crappy projector but it was really hard to see what was going on in this movie.
all the night-time scenes or underwater scenes were impossible to make out in my theater

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

Shneak posted:

Shuri carried the movie surprisingly well. Ramonda killed every scene she was in. I loved Ironheart's introduction and actual comedic relief she brought. But the MVP was Okoye. Incredible peaks and valleys for her character and now I get why she's apparently getting a spin-off.

I knew Okoye was never going to become the new Black Panther, but her character arc would've made it the right call.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Caught this today. There's some good performances in it but all the action scenes were total typical CG dogshit.

Literally all the suit designs were bad. I don't like the new BP costume, whatever the hell Riri had in that last battle scene was bad. That blue outfit Okoye had at the end was loving terrible. I know they joke about how bad it looks but sweet Jesus why did they design them like that.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...

Jose Oquendo posted:

Caught this today. There's some good performances in it but all the action scenes were total typical CG dogshit.

Literally all the suit designs were bad. I don't like the new BP costume, whatever the hell Riri had in that last battle scene was bad. That blue outfit Okoye had at the end was loving terrible. I know they joke about how bad it looks but sweet Jesus why did they design them like that.

Don't disagree, but pretty sure Okoye declined wearing it and recruited the lady with the two knives from the attempted lab invasion. I'm not big into aesthetics*, for me the problem was by the last act I didn't much care about the various action figures bumping into each other. It seemed like the mermaids were invincible, but the plan to fight the ocean people using a boat way out in the water meant lots of wakandan soldiers drowned as far as I could tell. I definitely felt a bit baron zemo-ish towards the "super soldiers" of everybody having power suits, and kind of salty that all those wakandans had to get hosed up but nobody with a name died. Wakanda got done dirty.

*admittedly Nakia's green and blue suit had me interested in aesthetics during a few shots. And she's established as super capable and badass, and is running humanitarian outreach in Haiti. In fact Nakia is loving awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
There were two suits. Okoye and Aneka wear them. Okoye also has it on when she breaks Ross out of the van at the end