Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

dougdrums posted:

it’s real cool and good when a megacorp asks me to submit a pr for an issue, when they make fucktons off of it. but i should be grateful to contribute for some reason.

yeah, the whole thing with billion dollar corporations asking people (some of whom may be unemployed and struggling to pay their bills) for free tech support is a huge problem

then there are the cases where everyone acts absolutely shocked when some security bug in critical infrastructure rears its head, and it turns out that the critical piece of software is maintained by one guy in a village in croatia who has never been paid a dime for his work

and then there is "your entire company uses the software i wrote, but apparently i'm not worthy of being paid because i flubbed inverting a binary tree on a whiteboard in 30 seconds with people breathing down my neck"

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Dec 14, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
just react to all PRs and requests with hostility.

i will dunk on a company or some random idiot using my code if they ask for even the minimum of interaction

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
another good trick is to tell people submitting PRs that you don't accept PRs from their country, no matter what it is

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

http://www.boringcactus.com/2021/09/29/anti-license-manifesto.html

quote:

software licenses are unavoidably a legal tool. the legal system, in the US and approximately everywhere else, is not a machine that leads to justice. therefore, software licenses do not lead to justice.

we cannot software license our way to a better world. as such, we should and must software license our way to a stranger world. permissive licenses and copyleft licenses are both tools of the corporate status quo. we therefore reject all conventional software licenses, and instead champion the weird, the experimental, the decorative, the hostile, the absurd, the useless, the straight up unhinged.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

quote:

the hostile, the absurd, the useless, the straight up unhinged

👋🏼

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

another good trick is to tell people submitting PRs that you don't accept PRs from their country, no matter what it is

in my line of work PR means per rectum

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
that monkey license is pretty good

quote:

Copyright Bouke van der Bijl

I do not give anyone permissions to use this tool for any purpose. Don't use it.

I’m not interested in changing this license. Please don’t ask.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

just react to all... with hostility

singing my song with his words

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

rotors manifesto converted me to an open sores costanza-face

thanks rotor. thotor

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i just read it

i’m gonna deny people their use of the crime committer source code for other committer projects

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
simply ask the military not to use your murderdrone script

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

simply ask the military not to use your murderdrone script

if you license everything as for strictly non-commercial use, and they use it anyway, you could sue them for it. i'm not seeing many downsides to releasing open source software, that specifically is excluded from business use, and otherwise has few restrictions / requirements

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
a non-commercial license on your software doesn't actually exclude militaries from using it to guide missiles towards hospitals, or some nonprofit political thinktank using your stuff to power their servers for a campaign to legalize murder

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)
you can’t sue if it’s being used in secret

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple on pizzadog derangement syndrome

dougdrums posted:

you can’t sue if it’s being used in secret

no license or copyright will prevent those willing to break the law from using your stuff.

If thats something you cant live with, don’t share your code broadly or at all.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

but if you feel like you absolutely must share your code to the world (???) a non-commercial, non-military license is about the best you can do.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

but honestly if thats the case, please ask yourself why you feel compelled to share your work like that.

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
I simply make sure all of the code I make public on github isn’t useful in the first place

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

dougdrums posted:

I simply make sure all of the code I make public on github isn’t useful in the first place

HamAdams
Jun 29, 2018

yospos
lmao look at all these nerds writing code in their free time

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

my conscious is clean. I only publish spam libraries on npm that just have functions to print out my posts to stderr

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

dougdrums posted:

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

*pressing the open PR button* rotor forgive me, but i gotta go back to da old me

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Armitag3 posted:

*pressing the open PR button*

:negative:

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

this is very stupid imo

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

rotor posted:

this is very stupid imo

turn on ur monitor

handoferis
Dec 25, 2022

i saw too many people in my small hobby community fleecing newbies by selling them overpriced junk entirely built on open source hardware and software that they had no part in developing, so i licensed all my stuff under the "no wastemans" license, where the code wasn't publicly online, but you could have it and use it however you like if you weren't on the shitlist, apart from giving it to people on the shitlist.

my license terms were never breached, but inevitably someone ended up doing the exact same thing i had done previously and open sourcing it, and the ripoff merchants just started using the open sourced thing. painful.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

I’m giving away software on the internet!! :cawg:

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

I've been thinking a lot about rotor's effortpost with respect to my current job situation. Some of you know that I'm a grad student at a public university. One thing that I do feel strongly about is that the public is paying my salary, so the software I develop in the course of my research should be made available. What little I do write that might be useful to others I tend to MIT-licence, under the assumption that "well, yall paid for this through your taxes, by way of the NSF grant that pays me, so who am I to say what you should or shouldn't do with this". After all, in much the same way, if I write a paper about something and then Palantir/Lockheed-Martin/ICE/etc go off and drive something from my research, I can't do anything about it. So, given that this weird situation is that I'm paid a pittance to "trade in ideas", what's the right way to think about how your work should be used (or indeed even how you choose what problems to research) ethically?

The "don't trade open source labour for job visibility" is also something I struggle with over here too. While research papers are nominally the thing that gets you hired as a faculty member, it's also incredibly valuable to get your work used by others in the field. Obviously a big way of doing that is to open-source your code and have others build atop it - for instance, in my field, there's a technique called E-matching, and I think part of the reason why it's used as much as it is is that there's a great open source library that other researchers can use.

anyway I don't have good answers but maybe you all do, also accepting "why are you in grad school, come make $800k/yr at my crypto startup instead" responses

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

in your case it sounds like you are doing research and advancing knowledge as opposed to a primary focus on building tools that solve a business problem. so my take would be that it’s entirely cool and good for you to be open soresing

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Dijkstracula posted:

I've been thinking a lot about rotor's effortpost with respect to my current job situation. Some of you know that I'm a grad student at a public university. One thing that I do feel strongly about is that the public is paying my salary, so the software I develop in the course of my research should be made available.

What little I do write that might be useful to others I tend to MIT-licence, under the assumption that "well, yall paid for this through your taxes, by way of the NSF grant that pays me, so who am I to say what you should or shouldn't do with this". After all, in much the same way, if I write a paper about something and then Palantir/Lockheed-Martin/ICE/etc go off and drive something from my research, I can't do anything about it. So, given that this weird situation is that I'm paid a pittance to "trade in ideas", what's the right way to think about how your work should be used (or indeed even how you choose what problems to research) ethically?

Why not GNU license it? You're sharing it with people you care about, and making it unpalateable to business.

wrt to the comparison between research and code, I would say there's not much difference from an ethical standpoint, but there's not as much that you can do about it due to how publicly funded, peer-reviewed research works. However just because there's not much you can do about one doesn't mean you shouldn't bother with the other.

quote:

The "don't trade open source labour for job visibility" is also something I struggle with over here too. While research papers are nominally the thing that gets you hired as a faculty member, it's also incredibly valuable to get your work used by others in the field. Obviously a big way of doing that is to open-source your code and have others build atop it - for instance, in my field, there's a technique called E-matching, and I think part of the reason why it's used as much as it is is that there's a great open source library that other researchers can use.

thats really sad. I dont have a solution for you, nor do I have a solution for all the junior engineers that are facing tough job interviews and may not have the luxury of saying "I'm at the stage of my career where I no longer write code for fun." But I think at least recognizing that this "work for exposure" bullshit is in fact bullshit, and sharing this opinion with your colleagues is a good start.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

git apologist posted:

in your case it sounds like you are doing research and advancing knowledge as opposed to a primary focus on building tools that solve a business problem. so my take would be that it’s entirely cool and good for you to be open soresing

my opinion is that it depends. Is it research in computer vision? then no, it is absolutely immoral to research at all, much less release. Is it research on types and verifiably correct code? then go ahead, no one uses that poo poo anyway lol

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
afaik the uni still sets the salary and they will act in their interests even if it means loving you over, so I wouldn’t be too conflicted

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
I refuse to open sores my code because it’s bad and I don’t want nerds to dunk on me

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

I refuse to open sores my code because it’s bad and I don’t want nerds to dunk on me

i have bad news about your posts

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

I have never written an open source, I get paid fat stacks to write absolute garbage

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

ADINSX posted:

I have never written an open source, I get paid fat stacks to write absolute garbage

Actually this isn’t quite true I guess some of my grad school job was open source so if you want some bad Perl from 2009 it’s yours I guess

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

ADINSX posted:

same

i wrote a tiny lil thing back in 1998 or so but that hardly counts

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.
i fixed a critical concurrency bug in the at-the-time very popular Java template language Velocity thanks to it being open source

so open source is only like 99% bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
what about open source as a method of public audit

for example bitwarden is open source, the intention being that it’s easier for anyone to spot security flaws. i’m sure you’re all well aware of why this might be proposed

suppose this is literally to do with open source rather than a licensing model