Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Bafta deez nuts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

BafTAR, is this anything?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Gaius Marius posted:

I would be exteremly surprised if EEAAO doesn't take it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlIz0q8aWpA

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Saw Sokurov's latest which features deep fake Hitler, Mussolini, Churchill and Stalin all in limbo, Jesus too, and in one scene a ghost Napoleon offers a hand grenade to Adolf as a gag

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I think Banshees could surprise everyone for best picture but EEAAO makes sense too.

Spielberg probably getting Best Director for Steven Spielberg Presents: Steven Spielberg: A Steven Spielberg Movie, by Steven Spielberg.

Blanchett a lock for Best Actress (kind of a shame for Michelle Yeoh), I think Farrell is gonna score an upset over Fraser for Best Actor since everyone seems at best vaguely embarrassed by The Whale.

Glass Onion won't win best original screenplay (that's Banshees for sure) but it will be nominated and that alone infuriates me.

I bear no responsibility for money you lose on these predictions but if you win any I demand tribute.

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure
Glass onion is actually up in adapted screenplay because it’s a sequel, where I think it’s plausible it wins over Women Talking.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

smug n stuff posted:

Glass onion is actually up in adapted screenplay because it’s a sequel, where I think it’s plausible it wins over Women Talking.

i forgot about that uuuuuugh you're probably right, gently caress

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
I dunno I feel like Fraser has a huge groundswell of support and movie quality seldom has much of an effect on actor categories. Plus it's so *brave* of him to play a fatso.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

graventy posted:

I dunno I feel like Fraser has a huge groundswell of support and movie quality seldom has much of an effect on actor categories. Plus it's so *brave* of him to play a fatso.

he's definitely the chalk bet but if i was putting money down i'd go Farrell. could pay out.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I have enough faith in the Academy, an organization I mostly loathe and fully distrust, to not give EEAAO Best Picture.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

For the record I haven't seen like any of the movies being discussed including this one but I hope EEAAO takes home a bunch of oscars solely because a friend of mine worked on it and I think that'd look sick on his resume.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
EEAAO should win best picture because it actually is the best movie of 2022

I love people losing their poo poo over Glass Onion being treated as good (because it is)

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Escobarbarian posted:

I love people losing their poo poo over Glass Onion being treated as good (because it is)

for me to poop on

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Has any Netflix movie won an Oscar yet? I feel like Roma may have taken home a best screenplay or best cinematography statue, but I can’t remember.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
It won best director.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Pearl for best picture

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

Pearl for best picture

in a serious world Mia Goth would be a Best Actress contender (hell, a Best Adapted Screenplay contender too, I hope she gets the cowriting credit again on MaXXXine)

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

in a serious world Mia Goth would be a Best Actress contender (hell, a Best Adapted Screenplay contender too, I hope she gets the cowriting credit again on MaXXXine)

An absolutely amazing performance. I also didn't think Ti West had that kind of movie in him, it's just next level poo poo compared to his other flicks. I'm super interested in MaXXXine but I worry it'll hew closer to an 80s city slasher in look/setup and the world isn't exactly lacking 80s ripoffs. I'm hoping it's more of a Showgirls riff

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

An absolutely amazing performance. I also didn't think Ti West had that kind of movie in him

Me neither which is why I honestly give Mia Goth all the credit for it

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I really disliked the first hour of Pearl but it all comes together really nicely in the third act.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Mia Goth could win an Oscar just for hiding her accent alone

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

She really made me believe she was enjoying loving a scarecrow which is a pretty difficult task.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

X-Ray Pecs posted:

She really made me believe she was enjoying loving a scarecrow which is a pretty difficult task.

"I'M MARRIED!" might be my favorite line reading in the movie.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Pearl and A Wounded Fawn have great end credits

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Honest Thief posted:

Mia Goth could win an Oscar just for hiding her accent alone

I saw a interview with her and she speaks like the Platonic Ideal of a Victorian Street Urchin.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
Every time that scene comes on in Goodfellas where Young Tommy says "Howya doin', Hendry" I burst out laughing because I always forget it's coming. I don't know why it gets me so good

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
A movie about Renfield and Nicolas Cage as Dracula are both such great ideas that it hurts to see them wasted on a "so that just happened" action comedy.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I hope glass onion wins because I enjoyed it

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
I hope it wins an award.. for me to poop on!

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Bedshaped posted:

Every time that scene comes on in Goodfellas where Young Tommy says "Howya doin', Hendry" I burst out laughing because I always forget it's coming. I don't know why it gets me so good

That actor has some really good line readings in A Bronx Story too.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Honest Thief posted:

I hope it wins an award.. for me to poop on!

Because you enjoyed it?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Rian Johnson is cool. He was nice to me when I met him and that is cool.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Hand Knit posted:

Because you enjoyed it?

It's true, I do enjoy pooping

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Glass Onion was ok. I liked The Menu's satire better.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That’s funny cos to me The Menu was exactly the smug pleased with itself movie people like to claim Glass Onion is

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Escobarbarian posted:

That’s funny cos to me The Menu was exactly the smug pleased with itself movie people like to claim Glass Onion is

i haven't seen The Menu yet but i'm willing to entertain the idea that they're both bad

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I feel like people are taking The Glass Onion a lot more seriously than it should be taken, and more seriously than it takes itself.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
I like taylor joy and Fiennes so much but christ do I hate nick hoult, I'll probably never watch the menu. Persona non grata

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Escobarbarian posted:

I actually agree with that. I also thought The Menu was shot very well and a lot of the dialog was very well written but the broader points of the story weren't great. The nihilism and ultimate meaninglessness of the story reminds me a lot of Cabin In The Woods; there's some good ideas at play and they obviously have a few points to make but the overall thesis is just kind of half-baked and then it ends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

The Peccadillo posted:

I like taylor joy and Fiennes so much but christ do I hate nick hoult, I'll probably never watch the menu. Persona non grata

If it helps he plays an insufferable turd and gets a marvelous comeuppance.