Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Not yet, though I think the chances of any other talent from the original dub returning are slim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

Not yet, though I think the chances of any other talent from the original dub returning are slim.

Are the other actors still alive/working in the industry for that matter? I know at least a few members of the original Japanese cast have died/retired by now (for example, either Meryl or Milly was voiced by the original Bulma from Dragon Ball, the other one was Kagome from Inuyasha who’s still around)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jan 14, 2023

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Larryb posted:

Are the other actors still alive/working in the industry for that matter? I know at least a few members of the original Japanese cast have died/retired by now

The only relevant characters for this would be Meryl, Wolfwood, Knives, Rem, and young Vash/Knives. Meryl and Wolfwood were already recast with Luci Christian and Brad Hawkins for Badlands Rumble, so it'd probably be them, and Adult Knives was voiced by Kirk Baily, who passed a year ago, so he'd need to be recast. Rem was voiced by Bridget Hoffman under the name Ruby Marlowe, who hasn't really seemed to have any anime roles since Fate/Zero. Young Vash was Bryce Papenbrook in the original, I'm not sure if he'd be able to pull it off now considering he was like 12 then and he's 36 now, and Young Knives was voiced by Joshua Seth, who retired from VO in 2006.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Is Badlands Rumble related to the older anime? Also, the OP for this is pretty great. I have a feeling I'll be listening to it a good bit the next few weeks.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

tsob posted:

Is Badlands Rumble related to the older anime? Also, the OP for this is pretty great. I have a feeling I'll be listening to it a good bit the next few weeks.

It’s the series movie for the 90’s show if I remember right. Not required watching or anything but it’s decent

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Badlands Rumble was basically a long one-off episode with some new characters, pretty much the same as the Bebop movie, but made like 12 years after the series. I really like it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I kinda wanted Vash to say "You owe me two slices of pizza" after shooting the bullet out of the air lol

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I see that we're still going to get horrible deaths. The old show was so effective at marking the difference between slapstick nonlethal gunfights and borderline horror of actual murders.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
God damnit they made the one-off joke villains sympathetic.

Really hoping that Vash did some magic that caused Gosef to not be blown up. Quite frankly him not doing anything, even out of self-preservation, feels slightly out of character to me. That said, they did cut away so until they show the robot man's corpse I am holding out, as unlikely as it is.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Unlucky7 posted:

God damnit they made the one-off joke villains sympathetic.

Really hoping that Vash did some magic that caused Gosef to not be blown up. Quite frankly him not doing anything, even out of self-preservation, feels slightly out of character to me. That said, they did cut away so until they show the robot man's corpse I am holding out, as unlikely as it is.

Vash was too busy keeping Professor Nebraska from running into the blast.

This Vash is definitely quite a different character - much more open, vulnerable, and visibly uncertain. Feels less like a man who's chosen his life and more of one who's trying to figure out how to make the best of an extremely bad situation.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Darth Walrus posted:

Vash was too busy keeping Professor Nebraska from running into the blast.

This Vash is definitely quite a different character - much more open, vulnerable, and visibly uncertain. Feels less like a man who's chosen his life and more of one who's trying to figure out how to make the best of an extremely bad situation.

True, but I also read it as he pushed Nebraska away so he could go to Gosef himself, even the cut just after he did the push. Either way, we will see next episode.

EDIT: I regret saying “Out of Character”. Feels like I am overstating it.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jan 15, 2023

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Still iffy on the writing to be honest but the way Vash held stupidly true to his values and principles was really good and as was the way the conflict played out until the end of the episode.

That said, I'm glad Orange was able to animate the weird-rear end space western goons, the designs of baddies did get pretty cartoonish in OG Trigun as well (so many humungous bastards)!

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Not a fan of either the OP or ED to be honest. Maybe they'll grow on me, but right now I don't like the music or the animation for either.

Big fan of Gofsef's redesign though. I don't know if it's meant to be a nod to the Chippendales, but it's hilarious.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

Maera Sior posted:

Not a fan of either the OP or ED to be honest. Maybe they'll grow on me, but right now I don't like the music or the animation for either.

Big fan of Gofsef's redesign though. I don't know if it's meant to be a nod to the Chippendales, but it's hilarious.

It's hard to appreciate the new OP when the original 90s OP is such an all-time banger.

I'm really digging the new series though. I don't mind that it's getting straight into the meat of the story with little to no preamble - I suppose the writers assume that everyone is familiar with the original story so they don't really need to retread the same ground.

I also really like Vash's redesign - 90s Vash was iconic as hell but definitely one of those examples of Main Character Syndrome, especially given how drab almost everyone else in-universe looked in comparison. New Vash's outfit is a bit more like something someone would actually wear.

Plus his gun being a .22 instead of a big cool magnum is a really interesting twist. The only thing I really miss is the old soundtrack, I need that steel guitar.

McKilligan fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jan 15, 2023

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

McKilligan posted:

The only thing I really miss is the old soundtrack, I need that steel guitar.

This! Discussing it with my cousin and agreed that's what feels off the about show so far.

https://twitter.com/ChefLuBu_ATL/status/1613915756189687811

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
We've seen his wanted posters all over but I'm hoping it's not just a reference. I'm really hoping we get a full, real appearance of Brilliant Dynamites Neon. Dude's outfit could look so wild in this art style. Make him real weird and glowy.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Episode ruled. I'm liking what I've seen so far

DemonDarkhorse
Nov 5, 2011

It's probably not tobacco. You just need to start wiping front-to-back from now on.

PringleCreamEgg posted:

We've seen his wanted posters all over but I'm hoping it's not just a reference. I'm really hoping we get a full, real appearance of Brilliant Dynamites Neon. Dude's outfit could look so wild in this art style. Make him real weird and glowy.

im rewatching the original and just got to this episode. for some reason i remember him being a lot less of an rear end in a top hat.

tbh im not a fan of CG in general but im still watching because its trigun.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

PringleCreamEgg posted:

I went back to check and it looks like trailer 4 has some members of his gang at 1:26.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
i'm going through the trailers and saw this in #2

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'd where a guess that that scene is from the next episode. I can't see Father Nebraska being much of a recurring character.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I want Trigun to follow the Jojo formula and have Vash get his own Vash-squad of former-villains turned friendly-gang for the rest of the series. The Nebraska's, Brilliant Dynamites Neon, etc.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

SpartanIvy posted:

I want Trigun to follow the Jojo formula and have Vash get his own Vash-squad of former-villains turned friendly-gang for the rest of the series. The Nebraska's, Brilliant Dynamites Neon, etc.

Trigun antagonists tend to die horribly despite Vash's best efforts just so he can board the trauma train.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.

SpartanIvy posted:

This is essentially Vash’s goal. It doesn’t really work out.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Arc Hammer posted:

Trigun antagonists tend to die horribly despite Vash's best efforts just so he can board the trauma train.

Judging from the end of the last episode we are getting that conga line started early.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Welp, poo poo just got real. Also Wolfwood debuts next episode it seems

Larryb fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jan 21, 2023

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Townspeople: That guy has a million knives. I wonder what his name is.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Episode 3 rules

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Well that's certainly one way to show millions knives. Good and brutal.

I'm hoping that we get a bit more of Meryl in the next few episodes because she hasn't had a whole lot to do just yet.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
well, if she wanted things to do then maybe she should have worn a cape full of derringers.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
And brought along her friend Milly and a tray of pudding

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

oh sweet, dub's up of ep 1

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Arist posted:

oh sweet, dub's up of ep 1

How's the voicework out of curiosity and did any alumni from the old show return besides JYB?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Larryb posted:

How's the voicework out of curiosity and did any alumni from the old show return besides JYB?

It's fine, haven't gotten to older Vash yet but Meryl and Roberto sound good.

Also, no one else returned to my knowledge.

e: okay JYB's still got it for sure

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Here’s a cast & crew list for the dub if anyone’s curious:

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2023-01-20/trigun-stampede-anime-reveals-english-dub-cast/.194027

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/Crunchyroll/status/1616903586901856256?s=20&t=YwQ79dtjN9hwyZgpK1iMFQ

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
This poo poo's wild. That episode rocked. Was not expecting the second half. My favorite part was when Millions Knives said "I'm going to unleash Millions of Knives" and then he Knived Millions all over those guys.

Also really interested to see what the deal is with the old man and the kid.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

JYB sounds really good, Meryl sounds fine but the "special delivery it's from Rosa!" line feels awkward.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
The Nebraska family survived in the anime and manga, so I do hope to see more of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Good episode.

Oof, though I am not a fan of the "Your presence brings about suffering, and you should leave" trope though that is less on the show and more on me honestly.