Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

Misandrists...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Disney's Pocahontas

1) Mel Gibson being cast as the White Savior who empathizes with indiginous folks (lolllll)

2) it looks like butt, their faces slide everywhere what is GOING ON Disney. the only ones who look consistently good in this film are the villains, who were allowed to be cartoons.

3) 90s liberalism - the indiginous folks defending themselves are depicted as just as 'wrong' as the white men attacking them in a war song that is just 'both sides - the song'

this poo poo doesn't hold up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YiAzyCzZzw&t=45s

And then 14 years later James Cameron remade this movie and called it Avatar :lol:

Speaking of, the entirety of Avatar. I saw it twice. The first time I essentially only paid attention to the visuals because why not; it was visually stimulating. The second time I watched it and actually paid attention to the plot, I thought, “This is just absolutely dreadful lol.”

“Unobtanium” :lmao:

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

You Are A Elf posted:

And then 14 years later James Cameron remade this movie and called it Avatar :lol:

Speaking of, the entirety of Avatar. I saw it twice. The first time I essentially only paid attention to the visuals because why not; it was visually stimulating. The second time I watched it and actually paid attention to the plot, I thought, “This is just absolutely dreadful lol.”

“Unobtanium” :lmao:

To be fair, Avatar didn't "both sides" the conflict. The humans are clearly the shitheads, and the movie ends with them getting marched back onto their shuttles to Earth.

Movie is still tedious as gently caress, though. Were it not for the copious amounts of sexy catpeople feet it'd be completely unwatchable.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

olives black posted:

To be fair, Avatar didn't "both sides" the conflict. The humans are clearly the shitheads, and the movie ends with them getting marched back onto their shuttles to Earth.

Correct. Let’s call it a reimagining of Disney’s Pocahontas.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
the guy in the oil tank in water world saying oh thank god before blowing up

3 A.M. Radio
Nov 5, 2003

Workin' too hard can give me
A heart attACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK!
You oughtta' know by now...
Sgt. Al Powell blowing Karl away at the end of Die Hard. His entire character arc is he's a cop that killed a kid on accident, and then finds the courage to kill again. Not a great look nowadays.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

3 A.M. Radio posted:

Sgt. Al Powell blowing Karl away at the end of Die Hard. His entire character arc is he's a cop that killed a kid on accident, and then finds the courage to kill again. Not a great look nowadays.

It is interesting that scenes like that are part of the subtle inadvertantly Indoctrinatiion to kill. Like justifying a "good" kill after murdering a kid.

It's poo poo like that that has gotten us here. But it's over generations and generations from Dirty Harry onwards.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

skooma512 posted:

He prefers the company of men.

It surprises me that there was never one of those dadcore 90s military court dramas called "The Company of Men"

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Shima Honnou posted:

the guy in the oil tank in water world saying oh thank god before blowing up

:same:

SodomizeTheWeak
Apr 20, 2002
I'm going to miss that banana popsicle.
As bad as I feel for Frank Castle, you can't just go around murdering people man.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

ikanreed posted:

I now understand that a rich billionaire absolutely would build the cube from Cube

is that the plot? It's been ages since I watched it and I thought it was never explained

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Thesaurus posted:

was excited to watch back to the future with my kid, then remembered that a key plot point is Michael j fox's mom being sexually assaulted at the school dance... Really sucked the fun out of that idea. Yeah they interrupt the sexual assault, but it's still a hosed up plot point to casually insert. So many "classic" movies and shows have poo poo like this that we'd all just chuckle at as kids

Uh, I don't think we chuckled at it chief

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Milo and POTUS posted:

Uh, I don't think we chuckled at it chief

If she had been Marty’s stepmom it would have been much easier to trace the damage Back to the Future did to the nation’s psyche.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

You Are A Elf posted:

i had similar thoughts about the first one (i only saw it once though) but holy poo poo the second one is so much worse. like within the first five minutes you can easily see every single plot point the movie is going to go through and then it just takes loving forever for them to hit every single predictable beat. the first one at least had the whole sensational imax experience going for it but in the second one the spectacle wears off real quick and then you are just sitting there waiting for it to end

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Earwicker posted:

i had similar thoughts about the first one (i only saw it once though) but holy poo poo the second one is so much worse. like within the first five minutes you can easily see every single plot point the movie is going to go through and then it just takes loving forever for them to hit every single predictable beat. the first one at least had the whole sensational imax experience going for it but in the second one the spectacle wears off real quick and then you are just sitting there waiting for it to end

It never ceases to amaze me that these are by the same guy who made Aliens, Terminator 2 and True Lies :psyduck:

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
i always thought the cat people were more uncanny valley weird poo poo than sexy.

FernGully did the story way better and it had a loving smoke monster that was voiced by Tim Curry and made you think maybe chopping down poo poo was sexy.

edit: the scene at the ending was actually really good cause the human goes back go human poo poo to try and fix things. he can't stay with the fairies because he got work to do. but the harder stuff hits when/if you ever listen to the soundtrack, lots of the lyrics were changed for the movie. Robin Williams does some great work on the Batty Rap but listening about the animal experiments is hard. "Animals don't feel pain, they just get used to it!"

Cowslips Warren fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jun 10, 2023

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Cowslips Warren posted:

i always thought the cat people were more uncanny valley weird poo poo than sexy.

FernGully did the story way better and it had a loving smoke monster that was voiced by Tim Curry and made you think maybe chopping down poo poo was sexy.

:yeah:

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
Pretty much any scene in a movie where the person driving the car shoves a cassette into a car's tape deck makes my heart ache. My Chrysler 200 has an all-in-one touchscreen that can't be easily replaced, and my Walkmans sound like dogshit when plugged into the AUX jack. Even if I could replace it, getting a working cassette deck that works is a total crapshoot now, as they're not manufactured anymore :smith:

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

olives black posted:

It never ceases to amaze me that these are by the same guy who made Aliens, Terminator 2 and True Lies :psyduck:

well, all of these are team efforts and have co-writers, not just cameron (also iirc aliens was written by dan o'bannon, not cameron). i suspect what happened is that as cameron got more and more successful, his movies became less team efforts and more just him surrounding himself with people who agree with whatever he's doing, which is why his movies have gotten steadily shittier over the years, and also more focused on pure spectacle with less interesting stories.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Thesaurus posted:

was excited to watch back to the future with my kid, then remembered that a key plot point is Michael j fox's mom being sexually assaulted at the school dance... Really sucked the fun out of that idea. Yeah they interrupt the sexual assault, but it's still a hosed up plot point to casually insert. So many "classic" movies and shows have poo poo like this that we'd all just chuckle at as kids

Obligatory John Mulaney bit
https://youtu.be/jKwMnnuN7-g

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

olives black posted:

Pretty much any scene in a movie where the person driving the car shoves a cassette into a car's tape deck makes my heart ache. My Chrysler 200 has an all-in-one touchscreen that can't be easily replaced, and my Walkmans sound like dogshit when plugged into the AUX jack. Even if I could replace it, getting a working cassette deck that works is a total crapshoot now, as they're not manufactured anymore :smith:

It might not help, but it's nominally quite easy to make a cassette reader yourself, and it feeds directly into an amplifier circuit, no need for any computer bits.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

Thesaurus posted:

It's portrayed as a bad thing done by the bad guy. Doc Brown getting executed on-screen is worse than that.

If anything is wrong with that movie it's how George turns his life around by punching a guy in the face, which isn't a good message.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

Schweinhund posted:

It's portrayed as a bad thing done by the bad guy. Doc Brown getting executed on-screen is worse than that.

If anything is wrong with that movie it's how George turns his life around by punching a guy in the face, which isn't a good message.

I mean, Tom Wilson's a bit fascistic in that movie, isn't he?

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Earwicker posted:

It never even crossed my mind to watch The Way of Water because I knew it would be a bad time, and I’m glad your view of the movie only proved my doubt. I’m sure it’s like the first film: visually stunning, but devoid of any worth past swirling colors and blue cat people.

I learned my lesson with sequels when I watched Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom. It might be the worst movie I have ever seen within the past five years. Jurassic World was really dumb, too, but compared to fallen Kingdom it was a goddamn masterpiece. I have no intention of finishing the World series with Dominion, which I’ve been told is even worse lol.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

You Are A Elf posted:

It never even crossed my mind to watch The Way of Water because I knew it would be a bad time, and I’m glad your view of the movie only proved my doubt. I’m sure it’s like the first film: visually stunning, but devoid of any worth past swirling colors and blue cat people.

well the thing is it's not even visually stunning. the first one is, sure. the second one though is visually very similar to the first one, just with more water, so it's not so much stunning and more "huh thats kind of cool i guess". and even that is only going to be a feeling you have in literally the first couple minutes of the movie, after that there's nothing particularly new or cool spectacle wise its just three hours of extremely ham fisted plot.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Earwicker posted:

well the thing is it's not even visually stunning. the first one is, sure. the second one though is visually very similar to the first one, just with more water, so it's not so much stunning and more "huh thats kind of cool i guess". and even that is only going to be a feeling you have in literally the first couple minutes of the movie, after that there's nothing particularly new or cool spectacle wise its just three hours of extremely ham fisted plot.
So ham fisted
Had to watch it with my brother and why did they have to make the bad guys cartoonishly evil?

I mean CMON

Many people do seem super stupid? (Trump won etc) but it's insulting to anyone with one brain cell, God I hate that poo poo

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

There is nothing redeeming in any of the movie, source material, or real life personalities involved in Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
The Jurassic movies got worse and worse over time. I don't particularly like watching people die gratuitous deaths these days, so that one random personal assistant (IIRC) who had an extremely protracted death sequence after being grabbed by the pterosaur things in Jurassic World was about it for me wrt the whole series. I realize the whole franchise inherently involves dinosaurs eating people, but at least it was funny and well-deserved when the the lawyer became a T-Rex snack in Jurassic Park.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Here, I’ll rank all of the Jurassic movies so you don’t have to!

1.) Jurassic Park

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Realizing that trexes and velociraptors are probably no harder to contain than elephants, tigers, or chimps is a recurring thought I have watching the og nowadays.

We don't use high voltage electric fences for that, because concrete ditches, elevated viewing areas and reinforced glass work fine.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

all the people who said that Johnny Five was just a machine were right, that robot wasn't really alive

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i think jurassic park is kind of like avatar in the sense that what made the first one have any appeal at all was the spectacle of seeing it in a theatre, feeling the bass when the trex takes a step and you see that cup of water ripple. thats not the kind of thing that can really be replicated in a bunch of sequels or turned into an entire franchise and still be good, it was just the one moment really. well that and newman getting killed.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Well also the fact that the effects in the OG Jurassic Park were not only mind blowing at the time but still look better than all of the sequels.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Bad Purchase posted:

all the people who said that Johnny Five was just a machine were right, that robot wasn't really alive

speaking of, when i was a kid i thought "Ben" was actually Indian, not a white guy in brownface

and i only just realized right now that said white guy is this loving guy from Succession lol

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Walter Sobchak seems a lot more tragic than funny to me now.

BeastOfTheEdelwood
Feb 27, 2023

Led through the mist, by the milk-light of moon, all that was lost is revealed.

Extra Large Marge posted:

Walter Sobchak seems a lot more tragic than funny to me now.

I mean, it is a Coen brothers movie. Sad funny is their schtick, which is why I love them.

On that note, Fargo hits a little differently nowadays with Marge being a cop.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

BeastOfTheEdelwood posted:

On that note, Fargo hits a little differently nowadays with Marge being a cop.
It was a sobering realization that cops and the CIA and whoever are almost uniformly portrayed in the media as not only the good guys, but competent.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Earwicker posted:

speaking of, when i was a kid i thought "Ben" was actually Indian, not a white guy in brownface

and i only just realized right now that said white guy is this loving guy from Succession lol

Holy poo poo, he was also Plague from Hackers! Also, apparently he has remorse and regrets for doing the Indian brownface thing :unsmith:

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Meanwhile, Hank Azaria is doing an Israeli (or is it Eastern European, I can’t really tell) accent in his role in the terrible “The Idol” series on HBO, so I don’t really think he learned his lesson from voicing Apu

Brother Tadger fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jun 13, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Any funny romcom where, if you swap the genders, it becomes a horror movie. Looking at you, The Proposal.