Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The first flaming shovel guy gave me more trouble than most bosses :/

That one attack where they smash you into the ground with a fury attack and then keep pounding you faster than you can get up until you're dead. I don't know how you're supposed to recover from that other than "nail the perfect guard" or "rush the upgrade tree to rising dodge"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Yeah that fight wasn't terribly easy. I leaned heavily on the flamethrower Legion arm and the Salamander dagger. Set his loving creepy rear end on fire, then smack him around for bonus fire damage. Still took me a lot of attempts.

Honestly the elites in this game are rougher than most bosses. They're so loving fast, have long combos, do so much damage and are often so difficult to read that you'll just eat poo poo on them constantly.

Yeah, I felt really good about beating the chapter 4 boss, then got repeatedly shithoused by that random zombie bear in the next area.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

Incidentally, pro tip for anyone who wants to take on the huge optional boss in the factory - you don't have to take constant poison damage while doing so. Late in the level, there's a lever at the end of a set of large red pipes that's guarded by a flame-shoveller. It drains the poison swamps, making the Construct of the Future boss vastly easier.

I had the idea with that flame shoveller that I would lead him to his death falling off the pipe shortcut, anyway he survived the fall and I had to fight him and the optional boss at the same time, in the poison and somehow I managed to beat them both. It took a long time.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

haveblue posted:

The first flaming shovel guy gave me more trouble than most bosses :/

That one attack where they smash you into the ground with a fury attack and then keep pounding you faster than you can get up until you're dead. I don't know how you're supposed to recover from that other than "nail the perfect guard" or "rush the upgrade tree to rising dodge"

Make some distance or dodge around to his side when he glows red. It's one of the easier fury attacks to avoid, and he only follows up with rapid-fire smashes if you're right next to him when it gets you.

Another thing is that you should always dodge to your left (his right) to avoid his horizontal swings, thanks to the way the timing of their hitbox works.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Another tip for the Construct of the Future - when he raises one leg, switch targets to the other leg, move so it's in between you and the one he's stomping with, and smack/stab away. Switch over again when he raises the leg you're attacking, and back away when he raises both. If he's swinging his arms in a circle, stand between his legs and just keep stabbing. All of his attacks are incredibly easy to avoid once you understand these principles, meaning the only remaining danger is the poison swamp itself - and even that can be removed.

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

Just started this and I'm having a blast, but I came across a human with PTSD who just stunlocks me. Like the second he sees me he just starts swinging and doesn't stop until I'm dead. Fun times!

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

MachuPikacchu posted:

Just started this and I'm having a blast, but I came across a human with PTSD who just stunlocks me. Like the second he sees me he just starts swinging and doesn't stop until I'm dead. Fun times!

The guy wearing a donkey mask? He exists to teach you the value of perfect parries. Do enough of them and his weapon will snap in half, making him feel all sad and emasculated (and, in a more practical sense, reducing his hitboxes and making his attacks easier to avoid).

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
I have broken brain disease and cannot leave minibosses and hardcore elites alone to just come back later for their loot, and yeah I spend way more time on them than the regular bosses in the game. I think the double-shield guy in the factory took me more times than anything else so far.

I just put the portrait in Gepetto's room and it's safe to say: lol. lmao.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

Incidentally, pro tip for anyone who wants to take on the huge optional boss in the factory - you don't have to take constant poison damage while doing so. Late in the level, there's a lever at the end of a set of large red pipes that's guarded by a flame-shoveller. It drains the poison swamps, making the Construct of the Future boss vastly easier.

I ignored the Puppet of the Future, did the whole section with the flame shoveller and pulled the lever. I had no idea what it did until I saw a video showing the poison goop in his area, lol.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Am I not supposed to parry this Chapter 3 boss? I can't find the timing at all.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

If anyone wants a stupidly powerful weapon combo, throw the bone cutting saw blade on the bramble curved sword hilt. It's dumb. The blade's block mitigates damage really well, it's perfect block breaks most enemies weapons quite fast, it does a shitton of damage, and has a long reach. The hilt was a speedy moveset that works well with the blade's damage types and the charge attack is a leap that covers a stupid amount of ground. So you can charge out of range of the enemy and then just leap into them. It's kinda too good.

I'm nearing the end of the game and am a bit bummed. I don't want this one to end. NG+ with a new build is gonna be fun though.

Gainsboro
Feb 28, 2023

Twenty Year Lurker

SirSamVimes posted:

I used this baby at +5 and was able to hit both the Eldest and his current buddy at once sometimes.
I was using the Booster Glaive handle with the Wrench head for maximum smash, but hot diggity does the Saw Cleaver's extra range make up for the miniscule damage loss.

Darth Walrus posted:

The guy wearing a donkey mask? He exists to teach you the value of perfect parries.
I just kept dodging to the side and backstabbing him over and over again. Works on every stalker I've met so far!

Gainsboro fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Sep 21, 2023

Valleyant
Jul 23, 2007

That darn catte
I got to the filter boss in chapter four and didn't think it was too bad. and then it went to phase 2 lmao

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Bugblatter posted:

I'm nearing the end of the game and am a bit bummed. I don't want this one to end. NG+ with a new build is gonna be fun though.

If it helps, there are reportedly three endings

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Am I not supposed to parry this Chapter 3 boss? I can't find the timing at all.

Fuoco? You can, but he's big and slow enough that just getting out of the way is often a perfectly viable strategy, especially for his red attacks.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

haveblue posted:

If it helps, there are reportedly three endings

There are, but like... I guess I'd draw the comparison to how Bloodborne's endings worked, rather than anything that significantly diverges.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Bugblatter posted:

A couple tips to people diving in:

The perfect block is an essential tool, but its input is a bit different than you might be used to if you’ve come from Sekiro. The block is only active while you are holding the button, so you can’t just tap it if you want the full duration of the perfect block frames. So, hit the button right before the impact, but also keep it held for a bit until the enemy’s strike has finished.

Son of a bitch, I felt like my Parries were landing more when I held the button but I didn't know if it was broke brain placebo.

The game loving owns.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

If you’re a rapier-boy like me, you can get a shop expansion in Chapter 6 that unlocks a weapon called something like the Tyrant’s Dagger which has a very close move set but has a damage buffing Fable instead of the finicky Guard Parry.

I found the Chapter 6 boss pretty surprisingly easy for how folks has talked it up, but it’s a constant that people just get hung up on different things; I very nearly one shot it but got got by the sudden flaming attacks toward the end. Still only ended up taking three tries compared to beating my head all night against Chapter 5. On the other hand the elite in the hallway toward the end of Chapter 6 handed me my rear end multiple times thanks to getting stuck in those goddamn tiny alcoves over and over again.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Nothing kicked my rear end in this game quite like all the respawning mini bosses in the swamp, sheesh

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Nikumatic posted:

If you’re a rapier-boy like me, you can get a shop expansion in Chapter 6 that unlocks a weapon called something like the Tyrant’s Dagger which has a very close move set but has a damage buffing Fable instead of the finicky Guard Parry.

The Salamander Dagger and Blind Man's Double-Sided Spear hilts are both also solid for the rapier playstyle. Salamander wants a universal blade, like the Greatsword of Fate, since it does slash R2s, but it's incredibly fast to drop a charge with.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

Valleyant posted:

I got to the filter boss in chapter four and didn't think it was too bad. and then it went to phase 2 lmao

I played until 1 am and went to bed defeated. I’m going to try out the fire arm tomorrow per recommend and probably grind out a level or two in stamina

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009
Has anyone noticed that the handle affects the number of perfect guards to stagger? I was practicing on one of the bosses and tried the sword of the fates blade with the default handle and then tried with the salamander handle. I could not get it to stagger using the salamander handle no matter how many perfect guards I performed. But with about 3-4 perfect guards on the default handle, I was able to break their guard. I really wish this game listed more info.

I noticed it with the practice dummy using the rapier too. You can't guardbreak the dummy with the rapier using only perfect guard on light handles.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Mean Baby posted:

I played until 1 am and went to bed defeated. I’m going to try out the fire arm tomorrow per recommend and probably grind out a level or two in stamina

Three important tips for that fight. First, learn to parry. Most of its attacks are much harder to dodge than block - and, conversely, it fights relentlessly enough that repeated perfect parries will build up its stagger gauge very quickly. The main exceptions are its Fury attacks, which are short-ranged and highly telegraphed, and therefore easy to avoid if you're not right up in its face. Second, try to engage whichever side your NPC ally isn't attacking during the second phase. It can usually only fight one of you at a time, with the other side just sitting there and letting itself get mauled. The big monstrous face you were engaging in the first phase is generally an easier target, due to its size, lack of mobility, and familiar moveset, but it's your call. Third, use thermite. It's a huge target that's highly vulnerable to fire - easy pickings.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Anyone know how to get up to this part in the plague village near where that monster breaks down a door? I’ve already beaten the gang fight and I thought it would circle back here.

That fight was nuts tho against the family. Took me the most tries so far. Once I focussed on breaking the big brothers sword tho everything kinda clicked.

e: I am reading its available after chapter 8

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Sep 21, 2023

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

(late-game bossfight spoiler) I'm eagerly awaiting when all the people who struggled with the black rabbit gang run into them for the second time :allears:

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

I thought this game would be more of a Bloodborne but with how bad the iframes in dodges feel to me, I am playing it more like Sekiro and having a much better time with it.

Bugblatter posted:

The perfect block is an essential tool, but its input is a bit different than you might be used to if you’ve come from Sekiro. The block is only active while you are holding the button, so you can’t just tap it if you want the full duration of the perfect block frames.

Realizing this definitely made the game click properly. I was getting my rear end kicked tapping for parries early on.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Hulk Krogan posted:

Yeah, I felt really good about beating the chapter 4 boss, then got repeatedly shithoused by that random zombie bear in the next area.

Yeah, it was a hilarious surprise when the loving Welcome Bear wasn't a one-off elite, but a recurring enemy. I ran face first into him after starting again from the Stargazer and got the poo poo murdered out of me

Gainsboro
Feb 28, 2023

Twenty Year Lurker
I learned (by accident) that you can perfect parry the exploding suicide dolls, which is charmingly illogical.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

Chapter 7 has one of the funniest goddamn game design jokes I've seen in a while.

You fight goddamn brick wall of a shield robot in the factory, and I was super glad to see the back of him once I took him down. Then he shows up again in the Grand Exhibition, this time surrounded by three electrical bomb throwing assholes you need to take out before you can properly fight your old friend. But you can also just once again run past him if you took that route in the factory. You move on, and climb up some ladders.

And then there's the shield robot, standing on a goddamn one-person-wide rafter.

The boss of the chapter became an official member of the one-and-done club, first boss in the game to do so.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Ok I beat the game including the true final boss Definitely a very good game. I liked the non-puppet enemies a lot more than the puppet enemies. Probably one of my favorite soulslikes but I have weird soulslikes taste (ds2 is my favorite, ds3 is my least favorite, I didn't even play Bloodborne all the way through)

I don't feel like my experience really matched up with the way I see people talking about the game. I leaned hard on dodges instead of parries and found it kind of easy? But I also beat Sekiro without parrying much so :shrug: Once you get the double dodge upgrade the dodge iframe window is massive and the dodge has huge physical range. I didn't get stuck at any bosses for too terribly long but I guess it just kind of clicked for me.

I did most of the game as an Advance build and it was fine, respecced to a technique build towards the end and they felt fairly equivalent in power. Your legion stuff remains relevant as a non-advance build and your weapons remain relevant as an advance build which was pretty cool but it made both builds feel more or less the same.

Probably gonna do a ng+ playthrough even though I usually don't, weapon assembly is fun. I miss being able to co-op bosses for fun after beating them but oh well.

Easily the best non-Fromsoft souls game and I think I enjoyed it more than ds3 or Bloodborne (neither one of those really jived with me for whatever reason, but I'll totally try Bloodborne again if it ever gets a pc port :colbert:)

e: The highlight of the game was definitely the village, it's still good through the rest but I didn't find the later setpieces/boss designs/etc as engaging as crawling deeper into that place and seeing increasingly bizarre horrors.

I absolutely did not expect (very late-game) Geppetto to turn on me and try to take his P-Organs back wtf old man

e2: also to be fair I used specters on several bosses in this game which probably contributed to me finding it pretty easy

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Sep 21, 2023

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

deep dish peat moss posted:

But I also beat Sekiro without parrying much so :shrug:

:dogstare: guess you're just built different

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I am extremely bad at parrying in these games and have adapted to overcome my limitations instead of getting good at parrying :colbert:

This game in particular has a certain rhythm to boss combos that make them easy to dodge if you dodge the first hit - a lot of the combos are timed in such a way that dodging again as soon as the first dodge ends will dodge the followup, etc. Souls games throw a lot of delayed attacks and stuff like that at you to prevent that but it worked on almost everything here.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Sep 21, 2023

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

deep dish peat moss posted:

I don't feel like my experience really matched up with the way I see people talking about the game. I leaned hard on dodges instead of parries and found it kind of easy?
Dodges have more lenient timing and usually put you in a much better position, so they're actually very good. If it weren't for the red fury attacks, you should just be dodging all the time. Because those exist though, you really need to get the parrying down. And then you will realize parries FEEL SO GOOD. DING RED FLASH! DING RED FLASH!

But yeah, you basically have three defenses: dodging, parrying, or just positioning yourself to not be there when the attack hits. The only one of those three that always works for every attack in the game (other than grabs) even when low on stamina is parrying. So that's why a lot of people rely on it.

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

was practicing without a spectre against fallen archbishop andreus and was getting really comfortable with the timing and getting confident and then i realized waaaaaait a minute and knew there was a 2nd phase coming . I can get him to about half health but it's really hard to see anything and the areas you can actually damage without bonking your weapon off are pretty few. hope i get him down soon

edit: ok got him really close and then he has a big laser that kills you and if you get under him while he does it he slams you and kills you

JoeGlassJAw fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Sep 22, 2023

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

FWIW I often find bosses in these types of games much harder to learn with summons or player spirits or whatever. Aggro switching can make them much more unpredictable, and even when they fixate on your buddy, you just don't get as comfortable with their wind-ups and what not because you're staring at their rear end.

Also on that boss specifically, don't be afraid to mix up parries, blocks, dodged and just running the gently caress away, depending on what feels most comfortable and repeatable on a given attack. I could not get the parry timing down when he turns away from you and then swings back across his body, so parrying the first two hits of that string and then dodging the swipe was much more consistent.

The aegis legion arm can be pretty handy too.

Hulk Krogan fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Sep 21, 2023

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I finally beat the puppet king. Sad I still don't have an advance based boss weapon :qq:

WarpedLichen posted:

:dogstare: guess you're just built different

This is just a reference to the fact that Sekiro doesn't actually have a mechanic named "parry".

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

Vintersorg posted:

Anyone know how to get up to this part in the plague village near where that monster breaks down a door? I’ve already beaten the gang fight and I thought it would circle back here.

That fight was nuts tho against the family. Took me the most tries so far. Once I focussed on breaking the big brothers sword tho everything kinda clicked.

e: I am reading its available after chapter 8
drives me crazy when games do this.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6upgZB_yqrM

I think Iron Pineapple is one of the most articulate reviewers when it comes to discussing mechanics and design, especially within the Souls sub-genre, and his opinion has wound up aligning almost perfectly with my own.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Nikumatic posted:

Chapter 7 has one of the funniest goddamn game design jokes I've seen in a while.

You fight goddamn brick wall of a shield robot in the factory, and I was super glad to see the back of him once I took him down. Then he shows up again in the Grand Exhibition, this time surrounded by three electrical bomb throwing assholes you need to take out before you can properly fight your old friend. But you can also just once again run past him if you took that route in the factory. You move on, and climb up some ladders.

And then there's the shield robot, standing on a goddamn one-person-wide rafter.

The boss of the chapter became an official member of the one-and-done club, first boss in the game to do so.

I'm surprised you blasted through the boss that easily, he took me over an hour.

That game design joke was fantastic though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Nikumatic posted:

On the rafters theres a T where the grenade throwers are. I just led the chunky dude to the T, then looped around behind him. There was a definite “oh gently caress me” moment before I realized I could do that though, lol.