Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 6 days!)

yea i was eyeing the list for apoth to show up the past two days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Pluto is a Netflix show that's coming out all at once, right?

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Tales of Woe posted:

Pluto is a Netflix show that's coming out all at once, right?

i think so

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

We're really spoiled for choice this season, there's over a dozen series listed as 'action/fantasy'. My Daughter Left the Nest and Returned an S-Rank Adventurer and Shangri-La Frontier have both started already and I enjoyed them more than Ragna so far.
The Demon Sword Master of Excalibur Academy has also started but was extremely mid

I watched shangri la today and it barely grabbed me, which is still more than s-rank which sorta bored me. I feel like one or both of them are going to make me drop them if they don't surprise me next episode. Going to watch overtake in a bit(i wonder if it's going to send me to sleep like every open wheel racing league), daigo and the adopted witch afterwards.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Shangri-la Frontier fun so far, has a lot of moments when people's faces go silly, and if directors knows how to use it well, it really livens up the regular stuff happening.
I just hate the stupid bird mask the main character plays as.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Shangri-La Frontier: Honestly kind of dug this. Looks nice and uses the VRMMO trope to have fun with gaming culture. I think the second half of the episode gets mired a bit in explaining mechanics, but I liked what I saw enough to watch more.

Overtake: The first episode uses the plot device of a photographer who doesn't know much about racing to get you up to speed on how F4/open-wheel racing works. Looks cool and they're setting up some character drama that might be compelling. I'm also in for more of this and I think if you're into cars/racing I'd say check this out.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Overtake suffers from PS3-rear end cgi which distracts me from the action(mfg is also guilty of it) and honestly going to a formula or supergt race without any kind of ear pro is sorta silly. Also going thru the effort of licensing Honda and Michelin branding but not the protagonist car (Jeep Renegade) is a bit low effort.

Starting with the adopted witch now.

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

GateOfD posted:

Shangri-la Frontier fun so far, has a lot of moments when people's faces go silly, and if directors knows how to use it well, it really livens up the regular stuff happening.
I just hate the stupid bird mask the main character plays as.

that's a very promising funny face. gonna need to see a second one before i bite the bullet though

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Big Leg posted:

that's a very promising funny face. gonna need to see a second one before i bite the bullet though

have you seen the main character

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Adopted witch is, until now, the surprise of the season. I really liked it, phoenix is my spirit animal.

Starting with the bay anime, more explosions than in transformers.

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

Southern Cassowary posted:

have you seen the main character

no, although i was kind of hoping that was the main character

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Big Leg posted:

no, although i was kind of hoping that was the main character

this is

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The Boy and the Heron...

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Small kinnikuman pv https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoZcS8LjrK0

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

oh boy. well pieyon was pretty cool in oshi no ko, maybe this is the year of buff birds

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
I'm bouncing hard from Daigo, I sorta hate when you have a perfect superhuman as protagonist. I'm giving it another episode but I'm not confident.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Frieran good, here's hoping Maomao is also good. S-Rank doesn't have the budget or people to make it pop which is sad but not a huge surprise

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Sadly I fell like the only thing I care about is the new season of Netflix' Castlevania

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Shangri-La got a pretty adaptation, yay. :toot:

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

SlowBloke posted:

Adopted witch is, until now, the surprise of the season. I really liked it, phoenix is my spirit animal.
I bounced off of it pretty fast. It is, as I expected, "Wacky Comedy Anime Type DD - Excessive Boobies Edition." Plenty of miscommunications, boobies, bad puns, boobies, zany antics, boobies, annoying side characters, and boobies. Things I have seen in anime all the way back to to 80's. The animation is sufficiently servicible for what it is, and there are certainly those who will enjoy it for what it is. I, however, had a hard time finishing the first episode, so I shall leave the viewing of it to ones more appreciative of such shennanigans.

That was the most pretentious and condescending way of saying "It bored my mantits off." possible. How about something more enjoyable?

Namely SHAN-GRI LA F-R-R-R-R-R-RONTEEEEEER!

Okay, I promise not to do that again, but the trailers burned it into my memory and I had to do something to try and wipe it away. :regd08:

This was more like it. There was a nice mix to the start of the series with equal helpings of comedy, blushing high school romance(just a dram), and video game action, all done in excellent animation with a nice score to back it up. For an introduction, it worked out well, but I think the primary complaint is going to be if the show keeps cramming too much explanation and terminology of the game into story. Having read the manga, I would call that a fair concern, and I hope the folks at C2C have worked out how to make it so it doesn't overwhelm the plot. The other issue is the manga has battles that take place over multiple chapters, so I'm hoping they can tighten up things by animating them.

Couple of notes I'll spoiler since folks are only just starting the show:

-I'm sure if you go to the Games subforum, there will be plenty of examples of NPCs as utterly frustraiting as the one in "Faeria Online," and watching one get the beatdown it deserves was satisfying to watch on a number of levels. You will also find plenty of gamers like our protagonist who take pride in beating same. As the show itself says, "We call these people 'freaks.'" :gaben:

-VORPAL BUNNIES 4 LYFE!

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

ragna crimson was a pretty good ad for the manga, but not a really good anime. probably wont watch it. recreating the shot of archer from the back from fsn was pretty funny

firefighter daigo loving rocks. same with freiren. not really surprising on either count.

also finished undead murder farce yesterday and that was the anime of the season. easy.

studio mujahideen fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Oct 1, 2023

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
Watched first episode of shangri la and it was great. Bright, colorful, and happy, and about someone doing something they love. You can vicariously feel the joy of the protagonist doing something they have put a great amount of practice into.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

GloomMouse posted:

S-Rank doesn't have the budget or people to make it pop which is sad but not a huge surprise

Yeah, my impression from the first episode was that the show has a limited budget and is trying to imitate the look of bigger budget shows, but the workarounds are too visible (re-used shots of the house, what looked like filtered photographs for some of the background details, etc).

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The Family Circumstances of the Irregular Witch is 100% a gag manga, just to let people know who might be going into it expecting a slice of life about family.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Read all of shang ri la to date

Watched the anime and the first episode held up, it should continue to climb from here, and by climb I mean it should hit a god drat rocket ship at certain points.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Sha Frontier right now is a good spot, because the dream of a good massive online game without battle passes or microtransaction is definitely fantasy right now.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

SlowBloke posted:

I was surprised when episode 1 had a reference to the 80s Sylvester Stallone arm-wrestling movie Over The Top, that really came out of nowhere

I wonder how this is going to compare to I'm Giving the Disgraced Noble Lady I Rescued a Crash Course in Naughtiness which is a fairly similar concept except it has a wizard raising an abandoned girl in the forest instead of a witch. Looks like it'll have less boob jokes and more capybaras

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

I was surprised when episode 1 had a reference to the 80s Sylvester Stallone arm-wrestling movie Over The Top, that really came out of nowhere

I wonder how this is going to compare to I'm Giving the Disgraced Noble Lady I Rescued a Crash Course in Naughtiness which is a fairly similar concept except it has a wizard raising an abandoned girl in the forest instead of a witch. Looks like it'll have less boob jokes and more capybaras

That series isn't really a gag manga, it's a nice slice of life that just happens to have some very cute "naughtiness". So they should hopefully fill different niches.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Irregular Witch is surprisingly high effort for a gag manga adaptation, based off the first episode, hopefully they can keep it up.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
There was a teaser for some 4koma adaptation about a princess who is "tortured" by being used as a taste tester for gourmet foods. Is thst coming out this season, I might have missed it in the lineup from the OP.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

There was a teaser for some 4koma adaptation about a princess who is "tortured" by being used as a taste tester for gourmet foods. Is thst coming out this season, I might have missed it in the lineup from the OP.

That's coming out in Winter. The series is called It's Time for "Interrogation" Princess and it not really gourmet foods as it is just really delicious foods and snacks. They also expand it to other fun games and such.

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Oct 2, 2023

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

that one's next season

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

oh, already at episode 2 of llregular witch

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Dekaboko Majo is fun and hits all of the right notes the manga does. It's also another fantasy series with a focus on a daughter overly attached to her single parent.

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Oct 2, 2023

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

GateOfD posted:

Sha Frontier right now is a good spot, because the dream of a good massive online game without battle passes or microtransaction is definitely fantasy right now.

It's absolutely an attempt to call back to the earlier days of MMOs, where opinionated devs did weird things, player actions were intended to change the world, and player documentation was sparse enough that it was possible anything could be hiding in the code.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Shy episode 1 was really strong and I'm excited for the adaptation. Lots of good clever shot framing and composition

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I went into Shy almost completely blind and it shows a lot of promise but episode 1 didn't quite gel for me. The fact that it starts with the main character having a huge crisis of confidence to the point where she can't manifest her powers, with almost everyone around her complaining that she's useless wasn't really the best introduction but I get the feeling it'll pick up

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

I went into Shy almost completely blind and it shows a lot of promise but episode 1 didn't quite gel for me. The fact that it starts with the main character having a huge crisis of confidence to the point where she can't manifest her powers, with almost everyone around her complaining that she's useless wasn't really the best introduction but I get the feeling it'll pick up

i usually hate that type of poo poo but it didn't linger for too long on it so it was w/e, and the first ep was really strong like SatoshiMiwa said so i'm in it for the long haul i think

also Spirit ftw

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

also first ep of Firefighter Daigo down too and it was solid, kinda educational too which lol. think i'll give it the three-ep test since it might be unfolding into more interpersonal drama than i expected

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Mamiko Noto voicing Pepsha after doing Prospera is gonna be a trip though