Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

In fact, as a rule, I don't like all mafia media. If it's about the mafia or mafia related stuff, I ain't interested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Grimes, disregarding how awful and dumb she is as a person, I do not understand how people like her music. She can't sing to save her life and her music is pretty generic.

Maybe I'm not taking the right kind of drugs but I find her music just plain not good

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

git apologist posted:

game of thrones obviously, what an absolute pile of poo poo

I watched a whole season of Game of Thrones, and when it didn't improve, I abandoned it. When I told people about my experience, their reaction was literally always "oh, you gotta stick it out for longer." Excuse me, why? A whole season, and more? The show had its chance, and it failed.

GI Joe jobs posted:

The common defense made for musicals is that you haven't seen the right ones. False, I hate them all.

People do the same thing with anime. It's true that Cowboy Bebop has great music, it's also true that I can listen to it without having to endure Ed.

DicktheCat posted:

Also, if I never have to watch another loving musical, I'll be just fine.

:hmmyes: I went to see Rent on a field trip in high school, and literally the only part of it I "enjoyed" was how fascinatingly awful the songs were. It almost seemed as if they were perfectly, scientifically designed to be as unappealing as possible to human ears, and they only got worse as the play went on.

quote:

Musical theatre nerds can be such pushy little psychos over a non-issue. I don't get it.

I was in drama club from 6th to 12th grade, and being IN musicals was fun for me. Singing is fun, acting is fun. Did I like sitting back & watching a musical happen though? Other than watching Disney movies when I was little (pre-drama club little), hell no.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

YeahTubaMike posted:

:hmmyes: I went to see Rent on a field trip in high school, and literally the only part of it I "enjoyed" was how fascinatingly awful the songs were. It almost seemed as if they were perfectly, scientifically designed to be as unappealing as possible to human ears, and they only got worse as the play went on.
I watched the movie with friends and hated it. Then one of the same friends and I went to see it on Broadway and I hated it even more. Welp that's my story

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Silicon Valley but mostly because something about the main guy (the one that didn’t Verizon commercials) has a really punchable face.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I never saw a moment of it except in commercials, but that show Succession pissed me off in principle.

Who the gently caress cares what billionaires do with their money? Oh, they've got drama, however will they divide the unimaginable riches?!

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Musicals would be a lot better if they just took the best 1/3 to 1/2 of the songs and cut the rest. No one gives a poo poo about the 10th best song in a musical but for some reason it still exists.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

BATS FLY AT MOON posted:

Silicon Valley but mostly because something about the main guy (the one that didn’t Verizon commercials) has a really punchable face.

I swear to god I read a thread in A/T where someone confessed they were a moderately famous actor on a TV sitcom and they just got busted doing something with their female CoStars shoes and then TJ Miller got cut from the show. Someone please back me up.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

exmachina posted:

I swear to god I read a thread in A/T where someone confessed they were a moderately famous actor on a TV sitcom and they just got busted doing something with their female CoStars shoes and then TJ Miller got cut from the show. Someone please back me up.

TJ Miller got cut I think because he broke his brain on drugs and going on a manic episode and doing a bomb threat on amtrak, I know I'm wrong on some details here but that's the gist

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Okay, so I feel like I'm fumbling something with True Detective. I usually enjoy the subject matter, the actors, and prestige drama in general. But the dialogue in this struck me as so navel-gazey and "the writer is speaking" that I couldn't stand it. McConaughey's character seemed like he was trying to wax cowboy poetic with every line, which I guess would be fine if he was ever saying something and not just wringing every last syllable out of bog standard thoughts.

Is there a reason McConaughey's character speaks like that and draws out. Every. loving. Thought? Is he a failed drama major who, after his rancher father's murder went unsolved, vowed to join the cophood to crack the case and prove to his dead dad he's not a failure after all? Is that it?

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school

Dinosaur Gum

TontoCorazon posted:

I hated the Rugrats as a kid with a passion, the show was so loving boring and ugly and almost never funny. Cannot understand how people have such a strong nostalgia trip for it.

The Office is another one, could never understand how people loved such an unfunny show, hey look Steve Carell said/did something that would be uncouth in an office setting, now John Krasinski is gonna say something witty and look at the camera for the 10,000th time.

All my friends watched Rugrats in elementary school and I never understood why, that show sucked.

Watching the Office just made wonder what the gently caress was wrong with people who liked the show, every character was super lovely to literally everyone. Creed was the only good thing in the show.

I never liked Christmas movies but I dated someone who lived for them. Oh wow another Christmas miracle, praise the yule log

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Hotel Kpro posted:

All my friends watched Rugrats in elementary school and I never understood why, that show sucked.

Watching the Office just made wonder what the gently caress was wrong with people who liked the show, every character was super lovely to literally everyone. Creed was the only good thing in the show.

I never liked Christmas movies but I dated someone who lived for them. Oh wow another Christmas miracle, praise the yule log

Had the absolute worst dread as a kid whenever rugrats came on. I had to prepare myself to be bored out of my mind

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

BATS FLY AT MOON posted:

:hmmyes:

I suffered through season three and then got one episode into season four before accepting that I just didn’t care anymore.

I had to bail at the suburban mom and Russian conspiracy theorist somehow ending up IN RUSSIA doing spycraft. Now I kinda can't believe I ever made it that far.

(Stranger Things, for context)

I can't believe this poo poo was so popular, it brought Kate Bush back

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Das Boo posted:

Okay, so I feel like I'm fumbling something with True Detective. I usually enjoy the subject matter, the actors, and prestige drama in general. But the dialogue in this struck me as so navel-gazey and "the writer is speaking" that I couldn't stand it. McConaughey's character seemed like he was trying to wax cowboy poetic with every line, which I guess would be fine if he was ever saying something and not just wringing every last syllable out of bog standard thoughts.

Is there a reason McConaughey's character speaks like that and draws out. Every. loving. Thought? Is he a failed drama major who, after his rancher father's murder went unsolved, vowed to join the cophood to crack the case and prove to his dead dad he's not a failure after all? Is that it?

He's a depressed weirdo. Woody Harrelson's character even calls him out on it.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Saalkin posted:

He's a depressed weirdo. Woody Harrelson's character even calls him out on it.

Good, I wanted to strangle him.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

StrangersInTheNight posted:

And also obscure Metallica b-side Master of Puppets

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

True Detective as a series has a thing with characters speaking oddly and it usually comes out sounding weird, see also: Vince Vaughn in season 2

It's like they really wanted characters to speak like they do in old Noir movies but forgot how characters spoke in old Noir movies.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

deep dish peat moss posted:

True Detective as a series has a thing with characters speaking oddly and it usually comes out sounding weird, see also: Vince Vaughn in season 2

It's like they really wanted characters to speak like they do in old Noir movies but forgot how characters spoke in old Noir movies.

I'm still salty I watched all of season 2 hoping it'd get better. I want that time back!!

Vince Vaughan was God awful in it. He'd always... Talk like... Extra pauses... Equals... Good acting.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school

Dinosaur Gum
I never liked anything Charlie Brown either. He deserved better

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Miracle workers: It would be a miracle to find a single good joke.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Arrested Development, too campy for me. I don’t actually hate it but the humor just misses me

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
gently caress any version of a Leonard Cohen song not performed by the man himself.

Even that one. Yes that one too. Every one of them are bad, even the ones that are good.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Snowy posted:

Arrested Development, too campy for me. I don’t actually hate it but the humor just misses me

It's cool, the third season goes heavily off the rails with Michael dating a woman with cognitive disabilities who happened to get rich and spend the money to make herself look like Charlie Theron. Played by, natch, Charlize Theron.

Rita is mentally a child and Michael doesn't notice and almost marries her 😭 It doesn't age well

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I felt like that was more commentary on the Manic Pixie Dreamgirl archetype than anything, but yeah it's a little clumsy

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

redshirt posted:

I never saw a moment of it except in commercials, but that show Succession pissed me off in principle.

Who the gently caress cares what billionaires do with their money? Oh, they've got drama, however will they divide the unimaginable riches?!

Oh yeah I bounced off that, felt like style over substance.

I had to bail at the suburban mom and Russian conspiracy theorist somehow ending up IN RUSSIA doing spycraft. Now I kinda can't believe I ever made it that far.

Yeah season 1 was interesting as it felt like the kids were in danger & that there as a well thought out mythology. Fast forward to the mall where the Soviet Union somehow built the world’s deepest bunker complete with an elevator in the American heartland undetected, and sends uniformed conscripts to wander around like a Goldeneye level.

Das Boo posted:

Because the creator shamelessly plagiarized the dialogue from horror writer Thomas Ligotti and happily accepted praise as a genius & development deals while not crediting Ligotti or giving him a cent. This also led to issues with the dialogue not always fitting well with the story.

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 46 hours!
Elf. It just loving sucks dude. Everyone fawns over it like it's the only genre parody they've ever seen so that makes it really special to them. It's just annoying and gross. And I have a soft spot for dumb Will Farrel poo poo.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

emSparkly posted:

Elf. It just loving sucks dude. Everyone fawns over it like it's the only genre parody they've ever seen so that makes it really special to them. It's just annoying and gross. And I have a soft spot for dumb Will Farrel poo poo.

Loud + Stupid = Funny

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
I don't even know if people like Elf that much, or if its just that advertisers and marketers really want us to like Elf that much so they can sell their weird seasonal Elf-branded poo poo

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies

emSparkly posted:

There are a couple pretty good gags but it's a movie for babies, with jokes that babies like. Easy costume for tall dudes though.

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

I don't even know if people like Elf that much, or if its just that advertisers and marketers really want us to like Elf that much so they can sell their weird seasonal Elf-branded poo poo

elf is actually beloved :shrug:

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

emSparkly posted:

I never saw Elf, but I feel the same way about Anchorman. I wouldn't say it loving sucks, though. It's just most of the jokes are really lame or simple.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

TengenNewsEditor posted:

Hence the thread submission

Lt. Cock
May 28, 2005

INCOMING!

TontoCorazon posted:

TJ Miller got cut I think because he broke his brain on drugs and going on a manic episode and doing a bomb threat on amtrak, I know I'm wrong on some details here but that's the gist

TJ Miller wanders into the place I work often enough that it’s not notable to the staff anymore. The first time I saw him I was about to call security because I thought he was a new crazy guy pacing around outside the building. Just had the same energy I’m used to seeing off our regular problem people.

On topic to the thread tho. I have never understood what people see in LOTR. Books or movies. I’ve done them all exactly one time and never had any strong desire to engage with them again. Related to that, high fantasy as a genre on the whole. I really just don’t find it appealing whatsoever.

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

redshirt posted:

Hence the thread submission

yeah they were questioning its inclusion. it's appropriate

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Elf is beloved by the same people who think Ricky Bobby and Step Brothers are the funniest poo poo ever, mostly right wing southerner types who think that Applebees is a fancy date night

I don't know if Will Ferrell intended it but I think those people genuinely see themselves in his fake idiot characters and not as the fake idiots that he's pretending to be

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

TengenNewsEditor posted:

Yeah it's more of a bad joke about how they're trying super hard to turn it into another property like A Christmas Story and so every year there's Elf on TV and a bunch of Elf merchandise. Just getting pushed at us super hard. Like, Elf is beloved, but is it 'brings multiple generations together to cackle at how the dad says FRAG-EEELAY' beloved?

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

Yeah it's more of a bad joke about how they're trying super hard to turn it into another property like A Christmas Story and so every year there's Elf on TV and a bunch of Elf merchandise. Just getting pushed at us super hard. Like, Elf is beloved, but is it 'brings multiple generations together to cackle at how the dad says FRAG-EEELAY' beloved?

yeah i know what you mean, for a while the elf push had me thinking "people actually love elf?" but they do yeah

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 46 hours!

Toxic Mental posted:

Elf is beloved by the same people who think Ricky Bobby and Step Brothers are the funniest poo poo ever, mostly right wing southerner types who think that Applebees is a fancy date night

I don't know if Will Ferrell intended it but I think those people genuinely see themselves in his fake idiot characters and not as the fake idiots that he's pretending to be

My family is full of loud annoying Nascar watching hillbillies who think Talladega Nights is the funniest loving movie ever. They completely fail to see that the movie is calling them out for being loud annoying hillbillies.

I do kinda like Step Brothers but mostly because John C. Reilly is forever endeared to me as Dr. Steve Brule.

emSparkly fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Oct 31, 2023

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

YeahTubaMike posted:

I watched a whole season of Game of Thrones, and when it didn't improve, I abandoned it. When I told people about my experience, their reaction was literally always "oh, you gotta stick it out for longer." Excuse me, why? A whole season, and more? The show had its chance, and it failed.

I tried too, I watched three whole seasons trying to get into it, but it just seemed like the worst teenage edgelord garbage. I love LOTR, so it’s not like I don’t see the fun in fantasy settings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

The cereal is actually really good. Not a lot of maple flavored breakfast cereals out there.