Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Mario
Zelda
Souls
Knack
Grand Theft Auto

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Real answer: Final Fantasy

Some hits and misses, but the mythos is enormous, and fun. The characters are memorable, most of the stories are memorable, and it has the best music from any franchise ever.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

credburn posted:

Some hits and misses, but the mythos is enormous, and fun. The characters are memorable, most of the stories are memorable, and it has the best music from any franchise ever.

FF 7 soundtrack absolutely slaps and that isn't just nostalgia talking

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

credburn posted:

if we're going to include franchises that have the occasional miss, than Halo is by far the best franchise in existence. Or maybe qualify that and say pure Bungie Halo is the best franchise in existence.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

Simply Simon posted:

. Can we pretend that never happened?

We are defined by our failures, not our virtues. Only god forgives

Long reign the Yakuza empire

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
Stalker.
any of the "Ivalice" games.
Persona.
Kings Field (eventually)
as we are judging the best and worst, I'm not adding Morrowind or NV.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Vampire Panties posted:

if we're going to include franchises that have the occasional miss, than Halo is by far the best franchise in existence. Or maybe qualify that and say pure Bungie Halo is the best franchise in existence.

What?

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
Really answer: Pokémon.

Mudlark
Nov 10, 2009

come on now just because one of the series explicitly remembered for its soundtracks and dungeons did away with both of those things doesn't mean they're boring- LOOK, FUNNY PENIS ROBOT

Outpost22 posted:

Unironically this though. Goddamn did Pokemon win the franchise wars.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

cumpantry posted:

fusion isn't very good and federation force is like a second black eye really
I reaaaally like Fusion, but I admit I didn't play FF and completely forgot about it existing. I doubt it's as excruciatingly bad as Other M tho

N. Senada posted:

We are defined by our failures, not our virtues. Only god forgives
I must accept this wisdom

Anyway, re: Halo, I get it. The Master Chief Collection has five really good games which I had a blast co-oping with a buddy, and Halo 4 which is inexplicably terrible. And made by a different studio, so it HAS an explanation, but no actual good one.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Far Cry.

databasic
Jan 8, 2024

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Real Answer: Microsoft Encarta

Is there an answer more painfully correct than this?

databasic
Jan 8, 2024

databasic posted:

Is there an answer more painfully and euphorically correct than this?

edit: I meant to edit my post instead of replying but I am actually terrible at the internet. Still, the proto-Wikipedia paved the way for my computer and later internet addiction. (The dinosaur articles were v. cool.)

databasic fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jan 14, 2024

Helluva
Feb 7, 2011

Monkey Island.

databasic
Jan 8, 2024

Helluva posted:

Monkey Island.

Yes but did you play 'Grim Fandango' and what were your thoughts?

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Outpost22 posted:

the first five gens of pokemon and gen 7 are all stone cold classics

gens 6 and 8 are a little clunky but they're not bad games

i respect gen 9's huge swing to try doing an open world game and like some of the story beats but i hated the performance and empty feeling world and it's my least favorite as a result

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Mass Effect
Assassin's Creed
Telltale Minecraft
Sniper Elite
Far Cry
Turok
Star Fox
Sonic
Duke Nukem

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

Argyle Gargoyle posted:

Contra 1-4 are gems
The PS1-3 and WiiWare ones are trash
the genesis contra was a crime against humanity

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Prettz posted:

Isn't that the one that has a werewolf with a gun arm?

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

X-Wing
TIE Fighter
X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter
X-Wing Alliance

If XWA didn't have that lovely robot it'd be four pure gold hits.

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

Prettz posted:

Do people really hate it that much? It’s pretty cool.

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

Oh yeah??????? Well frick you pal and kiss my grits

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

Red Alert, it peaked with the one that had all of the BSG actors doing cinematics.

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

Doctor Dogballs posted:

It's a really cool game but it's so loving hard.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

Doctor Dogballs posted:

Oh yeah??????? Well frick you pal and kiss my grits

if you havent played gmod already i got a game recommendation thats gonna blow your top

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

unfortunately there's nothing i can do about the focus on aggravating, childish writing. for that i suggest a "visual novel"

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

BUG JUG posted:

X-Wing
TIE Fighter
X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter
X-Wing Alliance

If XWA didn't have that lovely robot it'd be four pure gold hits.

:haibrower:

best answer itt

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

Doctor Dogballs posted:

It's not though? It was kind of a contra rule that contra is supposed to have great graphics and not horrible graphics. Also you can't follow up the incredible SNES contra on a system with only 3 buttons. Also there's a dog-man. Until today I had assumed everyone had put that game out of their minds.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

bossy lady posted:

It's a really cool game but it's so loving hard.

all the different routes through the game and storylines are :discourse: for a genesis game

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

Far cry from a good game

Bich

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

N. Senada posted:

Far cry from a good game

Bich
as weird as it is for me to admit this, far cry has been a great franchise up through 5
the first one in 2004 was one of the Big 3 of shocking DX9 games. FC2 was great, though at the time I thought it was the most casual FPS I'd ever played. FC3 was incredible despite being even more casual. there was a 4th I think. and FC5 has among the best outdoor graphics of any game, and is pretty much endlessly enjoyable driving around and blowing up republicans. I heard there's a 6th but I can't confirm it as no one will talk about it.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

covidstomper58 posted:

Red Alert, it peaked with the one that had all of the BSG actors doing cinematics.

Tiberian Sun has some really awesome atmosphere to it

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?
ive been replaying cnc: generals these past few weeks and it fuckin reeks of post 9/11 american exceptionalism and absolutely lacks in any of the character of the previous entries in the series. if it werent for generals and cnc4, i'd vote for this series

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I would've said Tribes except HiRez hosed it up so badly.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

Prettz posted:

as weird as it is for me to admit this, far cry has been a great franchise up through 5
the first one in 2004 was one of the Big 3 of shocking DX9 games. FC2 was great, though at the time I thought it was the most casual FPS I'd ever played. FC3 was incredible despite being even more casual. there was a 4th I think. and FC5 has among the best outdoor graphics of any game, and is pretty much endlessly enjoyable driving around and blowing up republicans. I heard there's a 6th but I can't confirm it as no one will talk about it.

6 is pretty bad. I had skipped from 3 to 6 and regretted it. Should’ve kept my happy memories of 2 and left the franchise behind.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

:catdrugs:

Black & White series

GEEKABALL
May 30, 2011

Throw out your hands!!
Stick out your tush!!
Hands on your hips
Give them a push!!
Fun Shoe
Vote for Quake.
I am really surprised no one has mentioned Unreal Tournament yet.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

JSW all the wey bby but thats 2 games. I suppose the monty games were more of a franchise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

credburn posted:

Isn't that the one that has a werewolf with a gun arm?

Just wanted to chime in that this dude is rad as gently caress