Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

don't forget FPG which is used to determine bust status. it stands for fantasy points generated

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Jimmy Haslem stated on the record that he pulled the trigger on JFF because a homeless guy told him to and we’re gonna act like nfl gms and owners have better things to do than check twitter obsessively. Ok

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

if there's one class of people i trust to make decisions, it's the one that includes david tepper

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

jim irsay on a coke binge, announcing on twitter that the colts were sending the browns a first for trent richardson

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.
2024 1 Chop Robinson 21 DE
2024 2 Patrick Paul 55 OT
2024 4 Jaylen Wright 120 RB
2024 5 Mohamed Kamara 158 DL
2024 6 Malik Washington 184 WR
2024 6 Patrick McMorris 198 DB
2024 7 Tahj Washington 241 WR

I think a lot of Dolphins fans had mixed feelings and disappointment about this draft because it didn't address any positions of immediate need and is largely backfilling positions of relative strength(or otherwise didn't need to be address this year. Some people are mad about no IOL or Christian Wilkins replacement, I was annoyed with ignoring TE again.

That being said I think the logic is pretty sound and the value pretty good(especially in the third day). Malik Washington in the 6th for this offense? Hell yeah that rules.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
I loved our day 2-3 on reflection.

I like chop and the upside but I just really think Barton fills huge needs at RG and adds line flexibility.

Maybe they’ve got something in the works or maybe it just typical rumor mill nonsense but we’ll see. Off-season isn’t over yet, and I like the 5th and 6th round picks a lot - expect them to be on the 53

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

Diva Cupcake posted:

Sorry if you drafted a WR with a career YPRR under 2. You might as well be spinning a roulette wheel.

https://twitter.com/scottbarrettdfb/status/1785072212573127154?s=46

https://twitter.com/scottbarrettdfb/status/1785184388222759118?s=46

Not fair to Jay Lynn Polk bc he had to share the field with odunze

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

You're arguing at cross purposes. An owner being a loving clown and over ruling his room doesn't mean scouts and GMs give a gently caress about twitter rumours or that they have an impact on draft rooms.

But again. The prevalence of loving clowns doesn't mean it has no impact on a teams final decision.

So in other words... dumb owners of dumb teams do dumb things regardless of twitter.

Colts GM is still right. It's a lovely thing to do to anonymously poo poo all over someone trying to get drafted on the basis of content.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

Doltos posted:

I don't believe there are are owners rushing to their scouting department to tell them not to draft someone because there was a bad report on twitter.

You give David Tepper far too much credit to assume he would not be exactly the kind of dipshit who is very much capable of that

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I like this cut up my team did of the draft class

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8jFigqcHT4

I also like that the Panthers took a big steaming piss right in Jerry Jones' face

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7362218618697862442

While I know there has been many a contentious thing in this draft and offseason. Jerry Jones having his favourite prospect stolen is amazing. Its even more amazing, at least in my opinion that Morgan managed to trade back with LA, pick up a 2nd rounder next year. Then trade up with Indy at the cost of - gently caress all in order to do so.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I liked the lions' and bengals' drafts.

These cat teams didn't make waves but made good value picks for the most part.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

gently caress the Cowboys

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I liked the lions' and bengals' drafts.

These cat teams didn't make waves but made good value picks for the most part.

That description is the exact opposite of what the lions did!

The lions made some huuuge reaches via consensus board.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Only on the middle picks, the first two and last two were fantastic value.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Febreeze posted:

You give David Tepper far too much credit to assume he would not be exactly the kind of dipshit who is very much capable of that

Likewise Kraft is running (autocorrect had “rubbing” there lol) around doing a full media blitz on how Bill is a giant loser and telling teams not to hire him after winning 6 Lombardis for New England. These are not rational, emotionally mature people. Owners flying off the handle and upending their draft board over a tweet is completely believable.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Hamhandler posted:

2024 1 Chop Robinson 21 DE
2024 2 Patrick Paul 55 OT
2024 4 Jaylen Wright 120 RB
2024 5 Mohamed Kamara 158 DL
2024 6 Malik Washington 184 WR
2024 6 Patrick McMorris 198 DB
2024 7 Tahj Washington 241 WR

I think a lot of Dolphins fans had mixed feelings and disappointment about this draft because it didn't address any positions of immediate need and is largely backfilling positions of relative strength(or otherwise didn't need to be address this year. Some people are mad about no IOL or Christian Wilkins replacement, I was annoyed with ignoring TE again.

That being said I think the logic is pretty sound and the value pretty good(especially in the third day). Malik Washington in the 6th for this offense? Hell yeah that rules.

I think the Dolphins had a great draft given what they had to work with. Highlights for me being Wright, Kamara and Washington. I was never that high on Chop Robinson but he does really fit the mold for that defense specifically. Even when it comes to edge players the Dolphins looking for pure speed lol

BlindSite posted:

I like this cut up my team did of the draft class

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8jFigqcHT4

Huge fan of the Legette pick, I've been saying the whole time the dude is a carbon copy of AJ Brown and I think he will bring similar value in the end. Brooks picked way way too early for my tastes, would've much preferred Benson or Wright but he'll do work for them, and Sanders seemed like decent value there. Nothing too thrilling, but with limited draft capital they got some guys who can contribute.

I still think they'll be terrible next year but a slight improvement doesn't seem like too much to expect.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?

Ornery and Hornery posted:

On literally 2 picks, the rest was lauded as high value picks. Did it annoy me? Yes. However Brad has earned the trust of his people.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
https://twitter.com/AllbrightNFL/status/1785503944380158199

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Play posted:

I think the Dolphins had a great draft given what they had to work with. Highlights for me being Wright, Kamara and Washington. I was never that high on Chop Robinson but he does really fit the mold for that defense specifically. Even when it comes to edge players the Dolphins looking for pure speed lol

Huge fan of the Legette pick, I've been saying the whole time the dude is a carbon copy of AJ Brown and I think he will bring similar value in the end. Brooks picked way way too early for my tastes, would've much preferred Benson or Wright but he'll do work for them, and Sanders seemed like decent value there. Nothing too thrilling, but with limited draft capital they got some guys who can contribute.

I still think they'll be terrible next year but a slight improvement doesn't seem like too much to expect.

Brother I have a lofty 4 to 7 win goal for this season and I think with the cupboard as bare as it was we'll hit at least 3 with the additions when you include FA.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
lol

https://x.com/gregauman/status/1786022443229868351

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
It’s just Penix envy

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Yeah I read that whole article, it's funny because I actually expected NFL folks to be a lot less strident about it than the media, who desperately needed something to talk about after an extremely chalk first round.

And they are, to an extent. But I don't get why one would say it would be a terrible outcome for Penix to outplay Cousins and earn the starting role. That would be great. That's exactly why you double up at the most important position. Money is spent, cap goes up, but a great long-term QB is literally priceless in this game.

The terrible outcome would be Penix is extremely bad and never contributes to the team in any meaningful way. That would be a disaster. The other thing is just massive sunk cost fallacy which I'd think NFL execs would be smart enough to not give credence to.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Play posted:

The other thing is just massive sunk cost fallacy which I'd think NFL execs would be smart enough to not give credence to.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
please don't post such graphic images in this thread

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
We're off!

https://twitter.com/MySportsUpdate/status/1786133049723240623?t=l8mU5t7GWO7aenFDQQHTkQ&s=19

Who is the one who doesn't get a deal done right away because of offset language?

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Chargers

Play
Apr 25, 2006

hot take alert

Master Stur
Jun 13, 2008

chasin' tail
Penix is gonna own and it'll spark a ton of GMs to make terrible decisions because they'll refuse to believe the Falcons just got lucky

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
It speaks to a completely broken process

Again, Penix will be 24 in a week. If you are drafting a QB to compete with and take over for Cousins you want a young one so that sitting him a couple years doesnt have him starting his age 27 season for the first time. If you on the other hand thought Penix was ready to compete right now there was zero loving reason to pay Kirk Cousins anything, much less 100 million US dollars, because 1) thats money you could spend on free agent weapons for Penix or your defense and 2) you knew* no one was taking Penix at anything like as high as 8 but you, so you didn't need to have insurance policy with Cousins

People don't usually (maybe ever) double up on QBs by signing a high dollar free agent AND a top 10 draft pick, they either have the high dollar guy (usually already, not one who's never taken a snap for them like with Cousins in Atlanta) and use a low first round or later pick on their replacement (the Packers when they drafted Love), OR they have a high draft pick and sign a possibly-useful veteran cheap QB for competition/teaching (the Panthers now with Young and Dalton). The falcons did both which is objectively stupid because even if one of those two QBs turns out to be great you hampered the rest of your roster by tying up so much capital in a position you can only play one player at at any given time.

* I am assuming they knew this. If they actually believed there was any chance at all that someone would trade up higher than 8 to snatch Penix from them, they are even dumber than I think they are.

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.
I don't think it was a smart move and is bad team building, but I also think the Penix age thing is a little overblown.

If he's 27 when he starts and plays until Kirk's age that's still a 9 year window.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

New regime my man

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

Age concerns are way different for QBs than other positions. If they think hes QBOTF and they will only get 1.5 years of cousins then who gives a poo poo if he starts age 26-27. If he's good you're still getting 9-10 years of good qb play

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Age isn't the concern it's that a QB of Penix' caliber probably doesn't want to sit 3-4 years

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

Doltos posted:

Age isn't the concern it's that a QB of Penix' caliber probably doesn't want to sit 3-4 years

I don't think he will. I am curious about how 35 year old qbs recover from achillies injuries but I think Cousins is getting 2 years max as the starter if he doesn't get hurt

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Cousins will be 36 before the season starts.

If they think Penix is ready he's not going to have to wait 3-4 years

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

a neat cape posted:

New regime my man

For your sake, I hope it's changed

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Ches Neckbeard posted:

For your sake, I hope it's changed

I mean, we haven't had issues getting rookies into camp since Joey Bosa. It's been a while

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
https://twitter.com/Bateman_Szn7/status/1786145639052591241?t=8CGKTA1Gza-t-cTZxoG27g&s=19

I don't necessarily believe this but it brings up a question. Don't GMs disclose who they're trying to get when they trade picks? If I was moving back a few spots, I'd want to know exactly who I was giving up.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

In practical terms it doesn't matter that much about the money for the first two years where you're fine to sit penix - even if you're worried about age. By the time he starts he has a 10 year clock before he's as old as cousins is now. His injury history probably doesn't project to a super long career though. But I mean... even if you want to break down the big bad numbers if they cut Cousins after year 2 it's 25 mill hit, 12 mill in year 4. With Rookie salaries being what- 12 to 13 mill per year. It's not that bad of a cap hit to have 37 and 25 mill per year at QB.

Thats about what Baker / Goff / Carr are being paid now. You can obviously make the argument about the loss of another player they could have drafted in Penix's slot - sure but gently caress, who cares we see first rounders fail for a myriad of reasons.

The big issue as I see it, is that it looked a lot like it blindsided Cousins and you don't want that mess in your locker room before the process even starts and that Arthur Blank was completely blindsided by it which kind of hinders your prospects of the plan working out too, at least if the return isn't obvious and a good one. That level of dice roll is a career killer if you can't keep kirk slinging it happily and Penix doesn't come out and kill it when given a chance.

The real comedy potential I guess that Kirk gets injured this year - lets say around week 8 and Penix comes out and loving slays it and then you're paying your back up in yr 2 45 million dollars while he seethes on the sidelines and wants a trade no ones going to take on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

It definitely blindsided Cousins. I forget where I saw it but supposedly they called him while they were on the clock to be like “hey buddy, we uh, got some news for you……”. They were terrified of their plan leaking and missing out.

The Puppy Bowl posted:

https://twitter.com/Bateman_Szn7/status/1786145639052591241?t=8CGKTA1Gza-t-cTZxoG27g&s=19

I don't necessarily believe this but it brings up a question. Don't GMs disclose who they're trying to get when they trade picks? If I was moving back a few spots, I'd want to know exactly who I was giving up.

“KC bulked” well yeah have you seen Andy Reid