Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
are old movies ever funny
sometimes, for instance Space Balls.
no, a decade after a movie is made it stops being funny. all movies we currently find funny will suffer the same fate. death is certain. hail satan
hmm...not sure op
View Results

• Locked thread
e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Maybe you're just getting old and cynical?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Otto Von Jizzmark posted:

Dumb and dumber

I hadn't seen it since I was in middle or high school. But upon watching the uncut version on Netflix I discovered Sea Bass was going to rape Lloyd.

I absolutely love Dumb and Dumber but the uncut version was pretty terrible. Jokes cut exactly when they were supposed to in the original and went on way too long in the uncut version. The whole Sea Bass thing (with Carey later found sucking his thumb in the fetal position) was hilarious, but the whole "Sea Bass wearing a leopard thong" thing was too much ~wackiness~ and was kinda dumb.

I literally threw out the original version DVD when I bought the uncut one and bought the old one again because the uncut one doesn't have the theatrical version in it.

I cannot wait for the sequel coming in November. I am praying it doesn't suck. I think Jimmy Fallon is showing the first official trailer sometime this week.

The subtle stuff in Dumb and Dumber is what makes it so amazing. Jim Carey dry heaving when he sees Jeff Daniels with Mary. Jim Carey asking Mary if she's busy and he peers his head into the house and looks around. Gets me every time.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.
Op, I've sentenced posters younger than you to the gas chamber. Didn't want to do it. I felt I owed it to them

Because you're a stupid gently caress.

HalPhilipWalker posted:

Duck Soup is the funniest film of all time.

"You're a brave man. Go and break through the lines. And remember, while you're out there risking your life and limb through shot and shell, we'll be in be in here thinking what a sucker you are."

It's still funny 80 years later.

I havent seen Duck Soup but this line is brilliant and makes me realise how stupid I am for not watching the Marx Brothers.

Gin Soaked Ape
May 4, 2004

Benedick Cuckold posted:

gonna have to disagree with you on ghostbusters. it's charming for sure, but it isn't really laugh out loud funny

ghostbusters 2 is a rehash of ghostbusters 1 and isn't as charming, but i recall it having better jokes

sorry about your brain damage

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Wet Hot American Summer is still hilarious.

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.
I just watched What About Bob and it holds up pretty well.

I'm going to check out The Man Who Knew Too Little next but I suspect that one aged very well because Bill Murray is just acting like himself for that whole film.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
The Super Mario Bro's movie is still hilarious due to how bad it is.

Speaking of which, was the movie The Pest ever funny? I don't remember much about it except the sexually confused rich kid and snakes.

Sad Billionaire
Mar 31, 2009

What a twist
Fan of Britches

Waltzing Along posted:

Here is the answer: Bringing Up Baby. It's 80 years old and is still one of the funniest films ever made.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I just watched the original M*A*S*H movie and to a modern viewer it's basically Sexual Harassment: The Film

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

ZombieParts posted:

I just watched What About Bob and it holds up pretty well.

I'm going to check out The Man Who Knew Too Little next but I suspect that one aged very well because Bill Murray is just acting like himself for that whole film.

Most Bill Murray movies age well because the humor comes from his personality and not the script. Scrooged is a super dumb movie but it works because Murray delivers every line with absolute sincerity, up to and including the line where he demands someone staple antlers to the head of a mouse.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Sabel posted:

Argument clinic sketch is still funny. Nerds haven't beaten it into the ground.

Yes they have.

wane tendo
Mar 19, 2005

Buglord

Entropic posted:

Wet Hot American Summer is still hilarious.

truth

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Gin Soaked Ape posted:

sorry about your brain damage

am i the one with brain damage? or are you the one who allowed your brain to be damaged by mainstream society? think about it

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Has anyone seen a Police Academy movie recently?

I'm kinda curious to do so, because I am sure they are now absolutely terrible when back in the day they were pretty funny.

No evidence though.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Gaunab posted:

Nerds like spaceballs because they like star wars and will probably eat poo poo if it involved star wars in some way

where the gently caress have you been. nerds haven't like star wars for over a decade

Interlude
Jan 24, 2001

Guns are basically hand fedoras.

Haverchuck posted:

schindler's list: still funny
p much any movie where jews die is a knee slapper

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
I dunno OP, maybe humor is subjective & your sense of humor changes over time. hosed up if true.

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.

redshirt posted:

I'm kinda curious to do so, because I am sure they are now absolutely terrible when back in the day they were pretty funny.

No evidence though.

You read my mind. I'm going to grab a few of them and see if they are watchable.

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

redshirt posted:

No evidence though.

I don't think anyone considers Police Academy some sort of timeless classic like the shitheaps Animal House and Caddyshack.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
I heard an interview with Bobcat Goldthwait recently, he said he would have tried to be funnier in the Police Academy movies if he knew people would still be talking about them in 2014.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Still funny: Abrahams & Zuckers films. Not still funny: Airplane II.

Actually I take that back, Airplane II was never funny at all (except maybe for each joke directly copied from the original) and Ken Finkleman can go to HELL.

Wicker Man posted:

The Super Mario Bro's movie is still hilarious due to how bad it is.
This reminds me that Street Fighter (the one with JCVD) is hilarious too, but in the case of SF it seems to be intentional. Zangief and Bison are hysterical each time they're on screen. Bison's John-Wayne-Gacy-fan-art-style self-portrait also makes me laugh pretty hard every time I see it.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

BigBoss posted:

I don't think anyone considers Police Academy some sort of timeless classic like the shitheaps Animal House and Caddyshack.

The premise of this thread is not classics that are not classics, but rather simply funny movies that are no longer funny.

Police Academy movies were once funny - this is a box office fact, backed by the insane number of sequels.

However, are they still funny? No one knows, apparently.

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

Otto Von Jizzmark posted:

Dumb and dumber

upon watching the uncut version on Netflix I discovered Sea Bass was going to rape Lloyd.

Rape Kick his rear end, Sea Bass!

Other Barry
Jun 5, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
[simpsons joke about police academy]

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Bimmi posted:

Yes they have.

Any Monty Python sketch whose name you can remember has been beaten into the ground and is no longer funny. There are still funny ones but I can't tell you what they are because if I could they would suck.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Any Monty Python sketch whose name you can remember has been beaten into the ground and is no longer funny. There are still funny ones but I can't tell you what they are because if I could they would suck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T70-HTlKRXo

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

beverly hills cop is still good

also the first two austin powers are still pretty funny imo it was just goldmember that was jarringly bad and stupid

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
Not just Duck Soup, but all the Marx bros movies are still funny.

Groucho was a comedic genius, possibly the greatest ever.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard
I just watched Caddyshack for the first time and I don't think either my wife or me laughed a single time. Bill Murray's character, clearly intended to be the zany comic relief, was just odd. I pitied him.

Caddyshack
Funniness 0/10

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
i like when chevy is hitting the golf balls into the holes and going "nuh nuh nuh nuh nuh nuh nuh"

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Lottery of Babylon posted:

sad but true. first they came for the holy grail, and i did not stop them. then they came for the life of brian and i said nothing. then the meaning of life, and that killed that. and now, even the flying circus has been torched to the ground and not safe from the grubby hands of unfunny people. although monty python beat some their own jokes

the larch

Xaris fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jun 9, 2014

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
I bet a lot of people assume "Coming to America" is no longer funny, but it is still very funny.

california roll
Feb 23, 2009
this applies to all movies. remember die hard? it's poo poo

Radical and BADical!
Jun 27, 2010

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

The Brown Menace posted:

top secret owns

just watched it last week, laughed my as off. Same goes for RH: men in tights and blazing saddles

Edit: nigel the goddamn torch mofos

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

california roll posted:

this applies to all movies. remember die hard? it's poo poo

naw actually it's still good

sleeve
Jun 28, 2008

Arian_Samurai posted:

I bet a lot of people assume "Coming to America" is no longer funny, but it is still very funny.

This and Trading Places will always be funny.

Not a movie, but Beverly Hillbillies will also be funny forever.

Time Machine
Feb 24, 2006
When this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit.
Blazing Saddles is still funny no matter how PC it gets.

The Upright Citizens Brigade tv series is not funny, nor was it ever.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

caddyshack: still funny, due in large part to chevy chase (see also: fletch)

animal house: terrible movie for idiots that was never funny

beverly hills cop 1: not a single laugh to be had

billy madison is also somehow still funny every time i watch it

Erethizon_dorsatum
Nov 14, 2009
Seriously though the nerds in revenge of the nerds are sex offenders and I can't believe that apparently no one realized this during production

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
It was okay to rape people in the 80s as long as it was part of a larger madcap scheme.

• Locked thread