Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Chilichimp posted:

How do you hold down a job in higher ed believing in young earth creationism?

I mean like, how do you ascend to University President... believing that the earth is only 6k years old?

Be a Florida politician first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Mr. Nice! posted:

Like known shithead and no poo poo 6000 year earth creationist president of FSU John Thrasher.
That's my alma mater so it drives me insane, yeah.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Chilichimp posted:

I mean like, how do you ascend to University President... believing that the earth is only 6k years old?

I'm in a chemistry lab and a fellow PhD candidate I work with is an anti-vaxxer.

There's all sorts of fun stuff out there!!!

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose

Chilichimp posted:

Politics. It also helps if you cry about 'religious persecution' if anyone calls you on it.

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose

wtftastic posted:

I'm in a chemistry lab and a fellow PhD candidate I work with is an anti-vaxxer.

There's all sorts of fun stuff out there!!!

We had geology/geological engineering/mining engineering students at Missouri S&T who were YEC. I also taught a few pre-med evolution deniers. Never underestimate the power of 'BUT MUH OPINIONS!!!!'.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

well that was fast

Is the Mizzou team done striking now that the President is out, or until all the other demands are met?

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
The reddit reaction to this is hilarious.

"The students protesting are the the racists."

"SJWs just destroyed a once great football team."

Actual quote: "I got a canker sore on my lip and I keep poking at it with my tongue, but that's only making it worse!"

Never change you idiotic little shitheads. :allears:

EDIT: A better one:

quote:

"These players should lose their scholarships. The people who listed those blatant racist demands should be expelled. These black racists who get into this school based on quotas and affirmative action have not right to call anyone "privileged" they are nothing more than cultural terrorists. I hope the backlash against these racist blacks is severe.

When you use the term "white privilege" you are a racist."

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Mr. Nice! posted:

Like known shithead and no poo poo 6000 year earth creationist president of FSU John Thrasher.

Last I heard about him he raised money to offer tenure to more professors but he cut some christmas bonuses for staff.

I dunno what he's been up to since the month after he took the position. Hello fellow nole alum!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

pillsburysoldier posted:

Last I heard about him he raised money to offer tenure to more professors but he cut some christmas bonuses for staff.

I dunno what he's been up to since the month after he took the position. Hello fellow nole alum!

I honestly haven't kept up since I've been back at law school. As far as I know he hasn't done anything too shitheaded, but in principle I still disagree with him in the position.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Chilichimp posted:

Yeah Florida's university system is loving ruined right now. Was it UF where Rick Scott implemented the "professor who offers to be president for lowest salary gets to be president" plan? If it doesn't get fixed, they'll suffer academically for a good 30 years. It's actually really hard to attract professors when the president is all "hey geology, biology, chemistry, astronomy, and physics departments: you're all full of poo poo."

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Lt. Chips posted:

I know, right. What the hell is wrong with this guy, trying to inact some positive change at his university instead of yelling "YOLO, peace out!"

I get that, but unfortunately even Public unis these days are a business. If Apple screws up you get a PC. I imagine encouraging and facilitating transfers would likely be a huge way to influence a university.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
*sigh* the Texas Tech Rivals board reaction to this is making me hate my school :(

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

pathetic little tramp posted:

Yeah Florida's university system is loving ruined right now. Was it UF where Rick Scott implemented the "professor who offers to be president for lowest salary gets to be president" plan? If it doesn't get fixed, they'll suffer academically for a good 30 years. It's actually really hard to attract professors when the president is all "hey geology, biology, chemistry, astronomy, and physics departments: you're all full of poo poo."

Strangely, Chemistry and Biology at FSU has been on a huge upswing with recruiting people out of places like MIT and Stanford, and got totally new labs. This is the work of the previous president who now is at Penn State though. Physics... :smith: but physics is always on the backburner. Thank god for the Mag Lab. FSU's issues are closer to mizzou in the grad student sense, there are some cuts that are wildly unpopular, but not as bad as Missouri.

Pretty sure FSU's president just wanted to be President in name mostly and is going on to rock the boat as little as possible, but like with Mr. Nice, haven't really heard a lot. I dunno how a more, um, 'proactive' president with those beliefs would have fared, though.

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

welp I'm glad wolfe is gone but mizzou is still gonna be racist and even if you somehow succeed in purging the school of any racial incidents and making it a safe space, it's still gonna be the same old lovely world outside of academia

college radicals are insufferable even when they're right tbh

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

kayakyakr posted:

*sigh* the Texas Tech Rivals board reaction to this is making me hate my school :(

Never read rivals boards.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Eifert Posting posted:

I get that, but unfortunately even Public unis these days are a business. If Apple screws up you get a PC. I imagine encouraging and facilitating transfers would likely be a huge way to influence a university.

Encouraging transfers would take years to affect change if it happened at all.

Meanwhile one grad student going on hunger strike moved the football team to exercise their massive and until now unused leverage and go on a labor strike, which drove the president to resign within 36 hours.

In his resignation speech Wolfe said that "this is not how change should come about." I'm guessing his main problem with it is that it was wildly effective, unlike how "voting with your wallet" by transferring would have been.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

i think getting rid of wolfe has more to do with him cutting benefits to graduate students/humanities departments than the racist incidents (this was just the symbolic issue they used to get people together for their cause) but it goes to show that university admin isn't all powerful and can indeed be challenged by students/faculty

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
Man, Oklahoma has a lot of issues (see: every time ever the university makes the news), but at least we have a president that can handle them and is beloved. I can't imagine having so little faith in your university administration.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Feranon posted:

welp I'm glad wolfe is gone but mizzou is still gonna be racist and even if you somehow succeed in purging the school of any racial incidents and making it a safe space, it's still gonna be the same old lovely world outside of academia

nice and steamy hot take caller, okay next we have Derrick from Austin, what's your outlook Derrick?

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Alaois posted:

nice and steamy hot take caller, okay next we have Derrick from Austin, what's your outlook Derrick?

"um yes, i think they should just play FOOTBAWW"

Shats Basoon
Jun 13, 2013

What did the president do?

RecoomesSexyRear
Jul 18, 2003

Feranon posted:

I doubt anyone realistically thinks it's just going to end overnight. The goal is to get someone who just takes it seriously and has a backround of actually dealing with college students. You are receiving a ton of ignorant rural/small town Missouri kids who have never had their beliefs challenged nor have they ever been in an environment where casual racism is discouraged. They need someone who isnt the stereotypical dismissive Missourian who thinks racism doesnt exist unless we talk about it. That might be inaccurate pertaining to Wolfe but after a life spent here, it certainly makes sense. Who Mizzou will hire though who knows? Missouri is backwards and doesn't learn from its mistakes.

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

Shats Basoon posted:

not a hell of a lot, and that's the gripe

but the school as a whole handles incidents of prejudice pretty severely if/when they find the perps so idk what you want them to do, get some psychics and establish a pre-crime dept to swoop in and stop some ozarkan redneck hayseed from calling students the n-word before he does it?

e:

Gone Baptizin posted:

I doubt anyone realistically thinks it's just going to end overnight. The goal is to get someone who just takes it seriously and has a backround of actually dealing with college students. You are receiving a ton of ignorant rural/small town Missouri kids who have never had their beliefs challenged nor have they ever been in an environment where casual racism is discouraged. They need someone who isnt the stereotypical dismissive Missourian who thinks racism doesnt exist unless we talk about it. That might be inaccurate pertaining to Wolfe but after a life spent here, it certainly makes sense. Who Mizzou will hire though who knows? Missouri is backwards and doesn't learn from its mistakes.

oh I'm not arguing that wolfe isn't a shithead. loftin is as well and I'd like to see him go too. but some of the other demands are horribly unrealistic or even illegal

Segata Sanshiro fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Nov 9, 2015

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose
Can't wait for them to find another useless, do-nothing empty suit for president

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Shats Basoon posted:

Nothing, which is kind of the entire point.

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK
Happy for those kids! I'm glad they showed the corrupt administration they couldn't be worthless!

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
i don't why y'all are sitting at them counters, still gonna be some racist folks out there even if you can eat at the woolsworths

Deciding something isn't worthy of protest because doing so will not literally end racism everywhere seems like a very high standard to me.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Nov 9, 2015

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Parmesan Basil posted:

Happy for those kids! I'm glad they showed the corrupt administration they couldn't be worthless!

They being the Southeast Conference

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

MourningView posted:

i don't why y'all are sitting at them counters, still gonna be some racist folks out there even if you can eat at the woolsworths

Deciding something isn't worthy of protest because doing so will not literally end racism everywhere seems like a very high standard to me.

It's more likely just cynicism. Being jaded will gently caress a dude up.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
And yes of course some of the demands are silly and unrealistic, it's a bunch of college kids writing them and I doubt they seriously expect all of them to be met anyway. That doesn't render the protest as a whole worthless either.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Plus it's a pretty standard bargaining tactic. Include a couple of reasonable demands, and a bunch of outrageous ones. Then you can "compromise" by dropping the outrageous ones.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Plus it's a pretty standard bargaining tactic. Include a couple of reasonable demands, and a bunch of outrageous ones. Then you can "compromise" by dropping the outrageous ones.

Hmm I think the point of mocking their demands is the idea that they can even "demand" anything. People wanted these kids to shut the gently caress up.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Crain posted:

Actual quote: "I got a canker sore on my lip and I keep poking at it with my tongue, but that's only making it worse!"

The turds in the Mizzou subreddit tried to dox me and some other guy who decided to comment. That site is basically the global headquarters for white guy grievance international

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
The presidents only real job is getting alumni to donate money. Not sure how the new guy is going to end racism in Missouri. I wish them luck.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

Elephanthead posted:

The presidents only real job is getting alumni to donate money. Not sure how the new guy is going to end racism in Missouri. I wish them luck.

The Alumni Association was taking a beating from alums over this so, presumably, the new President would know how to handle the ongoing racial problems a bit better than Wolfe if we take your assertion that the President's only job is to get money from alums.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Crain posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dw_mRaIHb-M

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Peven Stan posted:

The turds in the Mizzou subreddit tried to dox me and some other guy who decided to comment. That site is basically the global headquarters for white guy grievance international

Uh, excuse me, but you'll find that only SJWs dox people and are evil and ......

Reddit's particularly unbearable today, between this and the Yale thing. I posted about how the racial incidents are really only half the issue and that the president was also terrible when it came to academics and particularly his treatment of grad students.

Someone decided to put a downvote bot on me. Not just on that post, which went like -20 or something, but on all of my posts. I went to a test forum to check, instant negative comment score on a forum with no users and no active posts.

But it's the anti-racists who want to censor people.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

What's up with some of the media being barred from filming the press conference ot whatever they're doing right now

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

pillsburysoldier posted:

What's up with some of the media being barred from filming the press conference ot whatever they're doing right now

Considering the fact that CNN has billed this as "ANGRY BLACK KIDS ATTACKING WHITE ADMINISTRATORS!!!" it seems like a good idea.

But probably more to do with it being a specifically campus focused event and not really a national news story. If you don't have much footage to run, you can't generate days of news out of the event.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose
I'm enjoying all the sheltered suburban dipshits on social media losing their minds over a peaceful protest after finger-wagging at the Ferguson protesters for not being peaceful enough. Whole lot of :qq: I WILL NEVER SUPPORT THIS UNIVERSITY AGAIN :qq: too.

• Locked thread