Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. McGibblets
Sep 17, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx
The last wrestling match I watched was when Stone Cold was walking to the ring for the Royal Rumble? And he got hit from behind or something and spent half the match laying down hurt then came into the ring at the end and won? If I remember this right? Anyways I'm confused why would Roman be in the rumble if he is the champion already..doesn't that defeat the purpose?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Mr. McGibblets posted:

The last wrestling match I watched was when Stone Cold was walking to the ring for the Royal Rumble? And he got hit from behind or something and spent half the match laying down hurt then came into the ring at the end and won? If I remember this right? Anyways I'm confused why would Roman be in the rumble if he is the champion already..doesn't that defeat the purpose?

The Rumble this year is now for the Title itself instead of being a number 1 contenders match, so Roman's in the match because he has to defend the title.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I'm actually glad they're moving away from the "winner is in the main event at Wrestlemania" stip this year, even though the winner is obviously still going to be in the main event - just not necessarily due to the stipulation: Whether Roman wins or loses they'll still have to make a Fastlane match to determine who faces the champion, which makes the event relevant instead of just a pre-Mania pit stop.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

I'm watching the 2001 Rumble right now and I just saw something wonderful I never noticed before. During the Drew Carey bit, you know how he tries to bribe Kane? Next time you watch the match, keep an eye on the money. It's kind of hilarious.

While Raven runs out, a ref looks around, reaches into the ring, grabs all the money and nonchalantly pockets it.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

After last year's Rumble poo poo the bed, it's jarring to look at the 2006 Rumble and go, "This certainly stopped being good the moment Big Show and Kane stopped being in it."

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gavok posted:

I'm watching the 2001 Rumble right now and I just saw something wonderful I never noticed before. During the Drew Carey bit, you know how he tries to bribe Kane? Next time you watch the match, keep an eye on the money. It's kind of hilarious.

While Raven runs out, a ref looks around, reaches into the ring, grabs all the money and nonchalantly pockets it.

:lol:

That was awesome. Actually the whole Carey thing was actually pretty funny.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Another great under-the-radsr moment I've noticed: When Santino gets eliminated in 1 second at Rumble '09, there's a whole section of people near the front row with signs for each letter in his name who are suddenly all confused and saddened that they were robbed of their opportunity to use them.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Speaking of which, I wonder if they'll go for the "shorter than Santino's 1 second" attempt again since Titus hosed it up.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

I hope not, Santino is kind of the perfect person to hold that record.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

Owens will break Santino's record

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
Remember how great last year's Rumble was?

https://fat.gfycat.com/TightNaughtyAfricanparadiseflycatcher.webm

:allears: Memories

Genericide
Jan 20, 2004

The 1999 rumble should be shown to anybody who ever considers hiring russo. It's 100% overbooked garbage, and they can't even do that right. There's like three different points where there's fewer than two people in the ring, a ton of backstage segments that are shown over the top of the actual wrestling and a ton of inorganic spots - Kane being chased out by doctors, Viscera getting abducted by The Undertaker and the totally transparent way that 3 - 15 are a shower of poo poo, and 16 - 30 is when the stars turn up. And there's an interference finish.

edotherocket
Apr 6, 2006
Internet.
Jim Ross gives us his top ten Royal Rumble shows:

"My arrival in WWE wan't universally welcomed by all folks but Gorilla and Bobby Heenan took me under their wings and helped navigate my journey"

"A prime example of why having a strong first bout on all PPVs is essential as it sets the tone and challenges others to "follow that!""

"Marked the first time that I wore a cowboy hat on a broadcast as Vince McMahon and Jerry Lawler also wore hats for this cowboy-themed event"

10. 2002
9. 1997
8. 2011
7. 1994
6. 2005
5. 2003
4. 2004
3. 2000
2. 2001
1. 1998

http://www.foxsports.com/wwe/story/wwe-royal-rumble-the-rock-stone-cold-steve-austin-jim-ross-vince-mcmahon-011516

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

JR has good taste in Rumbles.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

I think 02 deserves a higher spot, but I always think that on pretty much every rumble list. Good list though.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
"Four-man" rumble in 2011, nice proofreading morans.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

I've been watching a lot of Rumbles and it's starting to crack me up how the "slowly struggle to lift someone over the top rope" spots NEVER work. Like, during a Rumble, you'll often see the pace slow down for a bit, where several guys are in the ring just doing basic punches and kicks to each other, while slowly trying to lift each other over the top. I have never seen someone get thrown over the top in those moments.

edotherocket
Apr 6, 2006
Internet.

MrSmokes posted:

I've been watching a lot of Rumbles and it's starting to crack me up how the "slowly struggle to lift someone over the top rope" spots NEVER work. Like, during a Rumble, you'll often see the pace slow down for a bit, where several guys are in the ring just doing basic punches and kicks to each other, while slowly trying to lift each other over the top. I have never seen someone get thrown over the top in those moments.

The only instance I can recall of this happening is Jannetty being eliminated by the Brainbusters in 1989.

Son of Man
Jan 29, 2003

by Azathoth
I just watched the 04 rumble at OP's suggestion and I really enjoyed it. The card overall was pretty entertaining and the rumble match was one of the best stories. This is also the PPV where Taz is on commentary comparing Bog Show head to typewriter. a typewriter. I thought it was a joke someone here made up but he actually says it lol

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

I had finished writing a new article that ranks all the Rumbles from worst to best. That should be published sometime in the next few days, but in the meantime, here are the 5 dirt worst:

28. Royal Rumble 2015
27. Royal Rumble 1988
26. Royal Rumble 1994
25. Royal Rumble 1999
24. Royal Rumble 2012

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

was 2012 that bad? Compared to 2014 and 13? It had a lot of non-wrestlers to be sure but you got some fun like Ricardo Rodriguez coming out to Alberto's music while driving out in a beat up delorean.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

2012 was pretty bad when I rewatched it outside of the Sheamus/Jericho ending, Kofi's handstand and some of the goofy stuff. The non-wrestlers get the knee-jerk reaction that they're stealing spots from more deserving wrestlers, but it's worse than that because they really aren't. The 2012 roster is really bad and shallow to the point that guys who lost the title matches earlier are given spots in the Rumble.

But the damning part is that when you ignore all the non-wrestlers and special appearances, you're left with a Rumble where the core roster does basically nothing. When I finished watching it, I couldn't recall anything fun or memorable about them outside of the Kofi handstand and the ending (where the wrong guy won anyway).

2013 is decent, just not remarkable. 2014 would be otherwise really good, but it's screwed up by the lack of Bryan, Batista winning and the uncomfortable stuff with CM Punk.

edotherocket
Apr 6, 2006
Internet.
I'm more miffed about the ranking for Royal Rumble 94 but thats probably because I had it on VHS as a kid and watched it a million times. The main thing I didn't like about 94' was that it treated Owen like a jobber just before his big push but otherwise I didn't think it was that bad.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Son of Man posted:

I just watched the 04 rumble at OP's suggestion and I really enjoyed it. The card overall was pretty entertaining and the rumble match was one of the best stories. This is also the PPV where Taz is on commentary comparing Bog Show head to typewriter. a typewriter. I thought it was a joke someone here made up but he actually says it lol

It somehow makes perfect sense.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Someday I swear I'm going to make a photoshop based on all the weird ways Show's body parts have been described.

Typewriter head, frying pan hands, his rocket-powered carcinogenic right fist, his tree trunk legs, I think someone once said his back is like an airport runway too. I'm sure there were others but those are the ones I remember.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Son of Man posted:

It was revealed in Taz's trip to TNA that if he doesn't have Vince in his ear, he rambles inanely all the time.

21 Hoot Salute
Feb 8, 2005

Night-time, turn around
Lonely is the city tonight
Night-time, all around
Lonely in the city tonight

So this time next week the Rumble will be in its final stages

Hope it doesn't suck!

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Taz on commentary during Rumbles was good. At once point he starts singing a song about how he's a little French man when Rene Dupree is in the ring.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

edotherocket posted:

I'm more miffed about the ranking for Royal Rumble 94 but thats probably because I had it on VHS as a kid and watched it a million times. The main thing I didn't like about 94' was that it treated Owen like a jobber just before his big push but otherwise I didn't think it was that bad.

I like the idea of the ending and all, but after Diesel gets tossed out, everything is boring as gently caress. Doesn't help that Bret's part of the story involves him being almost completely immobile.

Seams posted:

Taz on commentary during Rumbles was good. At once point he starts singing a song about how he's a little French man when Rene Dupree is in the ring.

Yeah, Dupree was in the Rumble twice and each time Tazz got so excited about how French he is. It's infectious and one of the reasons why I can never truly hate Tazz's inane commentary.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Gavok posted:

I like the idea of the ending and all, but after Diesel gets tossed out, everything is boring as gently caress. Doesn't help that Bret's part of the story involves him being almost completely immobile.

Yeah, Dupree was in the Rumble twice and each time Tazz got so excited about how French he is. It's infectious and one of the reasons why I can never truly hate Tazz's inane commentary.

I think I'm the only person who likes Tazz's commentary, but I basically grew up on it back when the only wrestling I could watch was Smackdown in the 2000s.

After Tazz mentions Haas and Benjamin, Cole: “They were protégées of Kurt Angle.”
Tazz: “Yeah, they were friends with him too.”
:c00lbert:

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Jan 18, 2016

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
I've been watching the rumbles backwards from 2015 and '12 was god-awful. Who the gently caress are half these people?

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Yorkshire Tea posted:

I think I'm the only person who likes Tazz's commentary, but I basically grew up on it back when the only wrestling I could watch was Smackdown in the 2000s.

After Tazz mentions Haas and Benjamin, Cole: “They were protégées of Kurt Angle.”

"Whelp, here comes the pain..." and "DIAL IT UP, COLE!" have stuck with me exactly as much as "BAH GAWD,"

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

I remember last year after the Rumble someone posted after the crowd popped for Rusev something along the lines of "at that point if hitler had run out to the ring and hit roman with the hitlerplex and tossed him out of the ring, the roof would have come off" and i've been laughing at that and the concept of a "hitlerplex" for a solid year. i hope i draw hitler, and i hope it's his year

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

That DICK! posted:

I remember last year after the Rumble someone posted after the crowd popped for Rusev something along the lines of "at that point if hitler had run out to the ring and hit roman with the hitlerplex and tossed him out of the ring, the roof would have come off" and i've been laughing at that and the concept of a "hitlerplex" for a solid year. i hope i draw hitler, and i hope it's his year

He'll be eliminated by Tye Dillinger, proving that 10 is better than nein.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Gavok posted:

He'll be eliminated by Tye Dillinger, proving that 10 is better than nein.

:perfect:

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Yorkshire Tea posted:

You are not alone, friend. I thought Taz was pretty good in WWE but I also think OneThousandMonkeys is correct in the assumption that it had a lot to do with Vince. His TNA stuff was usually really bad.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Hitlerplex '88

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

gonna make a Hitler caw with the Hitlerplex Finisher

Havoc904
Jul 29, 2006

A school festival is a festival that takes place at our school!
Does anyone else remember when Damaja won a "Road to the Rumble" tournament in OVW and the main part of the prize was a slot in the 2003 Rumble??
I remember getting incredibly excited to see a fresh face in the Rumble, especially since I had only been a fan for about 3 years at that point. I just knew this Damaja guy would have a huge image impact, even creating him in No Mercy using the random pictures and match recaps I could find online.

Then he was pulled from the Rumble a week before. I was devastated. That was going to by new guy drat it. Instead he showed up in S&M outfits that summer with Doug Basham.

I was also pretty pissed when Jeff Hardy won a Rumble qualifying spot over Raven (in Raven's first match on Raw after being delegated to Heat for 2002). This was during the height of Jeff Hardy loving up everything with one foot out of the door. I think Raven was fired the next week anyway.

Finally, it was time for the actual Rumble. Despite being let down by no Damaja or Raven, I knew HBK would make up for it all. 3 minutes into the Rumble we have Chris Jericho tossing out a lifeless HBK while Christopher Nowinski smugly stood outside the ring in his Harvard jacket.

My mark heart was broken that night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CoolCat
Jun 29, 2015

My favourite Rumbles are the ones where there are possibly 4 or 5 people who could conceivably win. I hate it when it's down to one or two. Rumble 2000 is the guiltiest offender of this, the build all but told it it would be Rock or Big Show, and shock horror, they were the final two.

• Locked thread