Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
what's funny is that here in the bay area doctors are being priced out as well as teachers so it's becoming v undesirable from the other direction

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

Peanut President posted:

As long as we have people who absolutely refuse, even with a 40% pay jump, to even consider the possibility of living amongst the (blood dripping font) R E P U B L I C A N S nothing will ever get fixed.

700k to 1.2m is a 70% pay increase, not 40%.

Also some jobs literally pay double in the sticks vs. in Cali/NYC.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Peanut President posted:

Okay how the gently caress are you gonna do that? Teachers don't want to live in those places either.

Fullhouse posted:

nah we'd better fund some more tax cuts for the local employer that rules us like a fuedal lord by selling our elementary schools to private capital

a good first step is probably to stop doing this

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Fullhouse posted:

a good first step is probably to stop doing this

yeah? Do you honestly think I vote right wing?

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

you're kind of a stupid rear end in a top hat so I assume you vote for the libertarians

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Fullhouse posted:

you're kind of a stupid rear end in a top hat so I assume you vote for the libertarians

:laffo:

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
Yeah the guy with Jimmy Carter as his avatar votes for the Libertarians

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!
goddam im so sad that we aint gonna have another jerry vs jimmy election in forever

i mean poo poo they can be womens names too but not the kinda women fukken imperialists push to office without makin em go by somethin 'classy' like geraldine or w/e

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Fullhouse posted:

lol

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
He's not a stupid rear end in a top hat. He's justifiably angry at the idea of someone turning down a million loving dollars and a JET just so they can live in StartupTown.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

jesuss christ i would love to be able to just say 'gently caress golf this weekend im goin to monument valley' these people are fukken idiots

Idk maybe become a doctor and do that then? It's so simple

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Grondoth posted:

He's not a stupid rear end in a top hat. He's justifiably angry at the idea of someone turning down a million loving dollars and a JET just so they can live in StartupTown.

actually they're turning down a dece seven figgies to avoid places where people are fine with these textbooks

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Grondoth posted:

sometimes people have life goals besides swimming in cash and owning a plane. weird, I know

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

to me the issue is analogous to trying to solve the vast disparity between rich schools and poor schools, and that's already a system that's nationalized and still failing miserably.

would there be value in a "Doctors for America" program that was similar to the TFA where they try to recruit idealistic young professionals into servicing destitute cities in return for a complete forgiveness of their student loans / other miscellaneous perks? people are willing to become educators for 3 years just to pay off student loans that are far less expensive than the total cost of going to med school. sure, having a bunch of wet-behind-the-ears doctors rotating through poorer areas isn't a perfect solution, but it'd be trying something different at least. maybe you'd even manage to snag a few of them into staying in one of the areas in their rotation because they actually came to like it after living there for a while.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Lol, do all Middle Americans think California is just Palo Alto or some poo poo? Or does it just blow their mind that so many people choose to live in a place that costs more because it owns?

West Coast, best coast, bitch!

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Do you know how much goddamn influence you'd have on your community as the resident neurosurgeon? Not only just that, but one who's paid over a million loving dollars and has a jet? Do you have any idea how much good you could do?

The first job my dad took coming out of med school was to be all the way up in Maine in a tiny town called Eagle Lake. I never thought him particularly heroic for this, I thought it was just sort of the way things went. I guess instead he was a bastion of decency and goodness for taking that job instead of loving off to NYC or something so he could drink the right wine with the right people.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Grondoth posted:

Do you know how much goddamn influence you'd have on your community as the resident neurosurgeon? Not only just that, but one who's paid over a million loving dollars and has a jet? Do you have any idea how much good you could do?

The first job my dad took coming out of med school was to be all the way up in Maine in a tiny town called Eagle Lake. I never thought him particularly heroic for this, I thought it was just sort of the way things went. I guess instead he was a bastion of decency and goodness for taking that job instead of loving off to NYC or something so he could drink the right wine with the right people.

Maybe your had just hated cities and diversity? Nothing wrong with that, but for some reason most doctors don't hold the same view? :iiam:

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

highly educated high earners definitely don't want to put down roots in places where regressive governments are underfunding things like "healthcare for poors and olds" and "the educational system your future children will be exposed to" and other awful policies

my wife is finishing up her residency next year and birmingham alabama will absolutely suck all the doctor dicks since they're trying extra hard to build a decent program there and whatnot. know what she's not gonna do? go practice in a place that, today, right now, would require her female patients to hold funerals for their miscarriages. i sure as poo poo wouldn't want to start a family in a place like that, since so many other options are available

it goes way beyond "ew this noncoastal city doesn't have a decent opera"

This little phenomena is fun to watch living in a not quite fully fledged metro area. Companies move out here thinking "hey, lower cost of living means we can pay less!" then they rapidly exhaust the employee talent pool and suddenly you're now paying out the wazoo for people to move and of course they now need an extra $22,000/year because the schools are poo poo and they're putting their kid in private school, etc.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

actually they're turning down a dece seven figgies to avoid places where people are fine with these textbooks

Yes, because those textbooks are in public schools in such places as...

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Thoguh posted:

Yes, because those textbooks are in public schools in such places as...

Texas. Kansas. Can't actually see the picture, but those two are notorious for blatantly falsified textbooks.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Talmonis posted:

Texas. Kansas. Can't actually see the picture, but those two are notorious for blatantly falsified textbooks.

the picture specifically says "science 4 for christian schools", and texas and kansas public schools haven't actually fallen that far yet.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Condiv posted:

the picture specifically says "science 4 for christian schools", and texas and kansas public schools haven't actually fallen that far yet.

ah i see you're unfamiliar with charter school vouchers supplanting public education

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

ah i see you're unfamiliar with charter school vouchers supplanting public education

I think that's why he said 'yet.'

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

charter schools aren't public schools

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
but the people there are still ok with those books, which is the point

don't be a pendant

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

but the people there are still ok with those books, which is the point

don't be a pendant

a minority of people are ok with those books, and they send their kids to religious schools (and are generally psychos). unbelievably, i'd argue that there are such people living in california too

i mean, if you're worried about the quality of public school curricula in texas, then you should be worried about the public schools in your state too. a ton of textbooks are published with texas in mind first and foremost

Condiv has issued a correction as of 20:18 on Jan 10, 2017

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Condiv posted:

a minority of people are ok with those books, and they send their kids to religious schools (and are generally psychos). unbelievably, i'd argue that there are such people living in california too

i mean, if you're worried about the quality of public school curricula in texas, then you should be worried about the public schools in your state too. a ton of textbooks are published with texas in mind first and foremost

Well yes, that's why a lot of us get angry about the bullshit Texas pursues, rather then rolling our eyes at it like Kansas or Alabama.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Talmonis posted:

Well yes, that's why a lot of us get angry about the bullshit Texas pursues, rather then rolling our eyes at it like Kansas or Alabama.

rightfully so, but the image above is not even close to the bullshit texas public education has fallen to. if you wanna complain about public schools in texas there's plenty to complain about without ascribing psycho christian school bs to them.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Grondoth posted:

Do you know how much goddamn influence you'd have on your community as the resident neurosurgeon? Not only just that, but one who's paid over a million loving dollars and has a jet?

that's a really good point, and if I was trying to motivate decent quality doctors to move to a Podunk area, that's exactly how I'd spin it. lots of people who graduate from doctor school have massive egos; you'd probably get further playing to that than just trying to toss an arbitrary amount of money at their feet.

"do you have any idea how much influence you'll have over our community as the resident attending physician? you'll hold the power of life and death over us! do you want to go and be %GeneralPracticeDoctor#548752 in a coastal metropolis, or do you want to impose your tyrannical will over our small community with impunity? you could rule us like an angry god!"

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Making those places not a miserable poo poo hole and free public transport to hospitals could help. of course if tehy're republican states lol at that happening

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
alternatively just let the fentanyl epidemic take its course

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Jose posted:

I think that's the plan. It's weird to me that heroin and stuff is such a white people dad now.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Freaking Crumbum posted:

that's a really good point, and if I was trying to motivate decent quality doctors to move to a Podunk area, that's exactly how I'd spin it. lots of people who graduate from doctor school have massive egos; you'd probably get further playing to that than just trying to toss an arbitrary amount of money at their feet.

"do you have any idea how much influence you'll have over our community as the resident attending physician? you'll hold the power of life and death over us! do you want to go and be %GeneralPracticeDoctor#548752 in a coastal metropolis, or do you want to impose your tyrannical will over our small community with impunity? you could rule us like an angry god!"

You and whoever owns the local car dealership will be kings among men.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

This is dumb thread of anecdotes about a microscopic number of insanely elite subspecialty surgeon positions being used to illustrate healthcare access across the country. A better general indicator would be the number of internal/family medicine physicians per capita, and what they make.

Here's bunch of stats: https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes291062.htm

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/pixelatedboat/status/817936348174651392

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

Jose posted:

this is probably what will happen

everything outside of major population centers will rot and gradually depopulate as people who have the means to leave do so, and everyone who doesn't is eventually strangled to death by disease, drug addiction, and a government that is mostly run by small-scale tyrants who are happy to live in poo poo as long as they're on top of the pile

then when natural resources can't be properly exploited due to the depleted labor force then we'll just move in with full automation (or nearly full automation)

interstellar without the dust storms or magical math problems

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

The solution is nationalized healthcare and a goddamn rifle in the face of over educated assholes telling them where they will work and will like it.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

SpaceGoku posted:

this is probably what will happen

everything outside of major population centers will rot and gradually depopulate as people who have the means to leave do so, and everyone who doesn't is eventually strangled to death by disease, drug addiction, and a government that is mostly run by small-scale tyrants who are happy to live in poo poo as long as they're on top of the pile

then when natural resources can't be properly exploited due to the depleted labor force then we'll just move in with full automation (or nearly full automation)

interstellar without the dust storms or magical math problems

Where do places like Wichita and Omaha sit in this fantasy future?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Jose posted:

also this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Nonsense posted:

The solution is nationalized healthcare and a goddamn rifle in the face of over educated assholes telling them where they will work and will like it.

a clockwork orange but where his old gang members become nurses

• Locked thread