Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Hail, Caesar! was quite uneven, but I can overlook its flaws because there's too much great stuff overshadowing the dull parts like "No Dames", the religious council, and Hobie's retakes.

fat bossy gerbil posted:

The amazing thing about the Coen brothers is that they've never made a bad movie. Some of their movies are better than others and not everything they've done is a masterpiece but even at their worst they never fail to produce a decent and totally watchable movie.

They're good at hiding any shortcomings with outstanding camera work and great lines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
My only problem with Hail Caesar! was I kept wanting Brolin to be the same character from Inherent Vice. Like, the character from Hail Caesar! is somewhat similar in his demeanor, but just not quite as over the top and hilarious. I was waiting for at least one scene along the lines of "molto panakako!" and it never came.

Good movie overall though.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Hail Caesar was OK. I have no urge to ever see it again, but it was OK.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I've seen every Coen bros movie except The Ladykillers and Hail Caesar. The latter because I just haven't gotten around to it yet, and the former because it seems to be universally panned. Should I just watch it?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Spatulater bro! posted:

I've seen every Coen bros movie except The Ladykillers and Hail Caesar. The latter because I just haven't gotten around to it yet, and the former because it seems to be universally panned. Should I just watch it?

It's not terrible, it just feels kind of like someone else trying to write a Coen brothers script and doing an okay job. This probably isn't a popular opinion, but I think it's about as good as Burn After Reading.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Tom Hanks alone makes Ladykillers watchable at least once, plus the supporting cast is decent. It'd be better after a couple drinks though.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I haven't seen Ladykillers either but it seems like its at least a pretty eccentric Tom Hanks performance right? Might be worth watching just for that, its not every day you get to see Hanks doing something other than his typical persona.

Edit: beaten

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-edBUcE57kk

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
The man really is a national treasure.

Watched Bridge of Spies this week and predictably he was fantastic in it. He can pull off that Spielberg stuff better than anybody.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

The cast of The Ladykillers is fantastic. Which, in a way, makes it seem even worse because there's no excuse for having so many great actors and still being so unfunny. Being a remake of a much better film doesn't do it any favours either.

Samuel Clemens fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jan 27, 2017

FrakkinCylon
Apr 25, 2008

My folks went to Caprica and all I got was this frakking avatar.
I've heard a number of people comment about how The Thin Red Line is one of the better war movies ever made, but I found it dull and far too long. About 2 hours in I was praying a sniper would take ME out, so that I wouldn't have to watch it any longer.

Stylistically Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon was cool, but overall it left me cold.

I know Citizen Kane is supposed to be just about the greatest film ever made, and while I agree it was groundbreaking for some of it's techniques, I still found it boring.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
You can't just recommend The Thin Red Line to somebody if you don't already know how they feel about Malick. Its a great war movie but its also pure concentrated Malick just like most of his other work.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Or even if they don't know Malick, they need to be prepped about its philosophical and introspective nature. It's definitely a movie that needs some prefacing for the uninitiated.

FrakkinCylon
Apr 25, 2008

My folks went to Caprica and all I got was this frakking avatar.
After a quick IMDB visit, I freely admit I think it's the only Malick film I've seen. Perhaps his aesthetic just isn't my thing. I am curious to see The Tree of Life.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

FrakkinCylon posted:

After a quick IMDB visit, I freely admit I think it's the only Malick film I've seen. Perhaps his aesthetic just isn't my thing. I am curious to see The Tree of Life.

See Badlands and Days of Heaven first.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The Tree of Life is my favorite Malick so far - I've only seen Badlands and Days of Heaven otherwise, though.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

FrakkinCylon posted:

If you were bored by The Thin Red Line definitely just don't jump right into Tree of Life. Take Egbert Spouses advice and watch one of his first two films first, they both have much more traditional narratives and are a good way to get acclimated to his style.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

banned from Starbucks posted:

Monsters is a grade A piece of poo poo and I will fight any and all people who like that loving thing.

It's great and more relevant today than ever before.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Basebf555 posted:

If you were bored by The Thin Red Line definitely just don't jump right into Tree of Life. Take Egbert Spouses advice and watch one of his first two films first, they both have much more traditional narratives and are a good way to get acclimated to his style.

Days of Heaven feels like a 3 and a half hour movie that's been cut down to 90 minutes, but in a good way.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The background on every A and B-lister trying to get any part at all in The Thin Red Line, only for most of them to be written out completely or almost completely from the finished film, is maybe the most Entourage thing to ever happen.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

I haven't liked an entire Tarantino movie since Jackie Brown. He does some scenes so exceptionally well but can't help add gimmicky bits throughout his movies that completely take me out of the immersion.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Oh,I forgot one, thanks.

The Hateful Eight. Hate this movie. Django I don't like that much, but there's some good in it. Honestly, Tarantino's forte into western has been pretty weird and not as cool as I imagined.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Bicycle Thieves is painfully tedious.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Bicycle Thieves is the opposite for me, it's all plodding, desultory stuff that's supposed to wrench my heart out but it comes across as sort of generic.

Gah!

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Have I mentioned how little I enjoy Bicycle Thieves?

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Have I mentioned how little I enjoy Bicycle Thieves?

I really dig Bicycle Thieves. Weird comparison but it kind of reminds me of Altman's Nashville. Like with Nashville something that really struck me after I saw it is how even though there's all this talking in the movie it never rly seems to change anything in a positive way. A lot of times in movies/tv/whateva(!) people make bad decisions because they're acting on incomplete evidence or misunderstanding something. In Nashville it feels like talking/knowing leads the characters to either make the exact same decision they were already going to make or a worse one.
It could be called cynical but the film is clearly empathetic towards all those characters & because we usually only know as much as a character does when they make a mistake, their bad decision is just as likely the same decision that we would tell them to make. It forces empathy because it forces us in their shoes. Then it's almost frustrating in the end because all these small decisions and victories and losses almost seem to not matter because they're irrelevant to these larger machinations (machine nations?) that can sweep us away in a second without us having done anything wrong, but the ease at which we can be swept away shows the value in all of those small decisions cuz its what we got.
(I know im oversimplifying but i think the point stands. Or maybe im forgetting/misunderstanding something & completely misinterpreting Nashville in which case nobody tell me please)

Now Bicycle Thieves i think is significantly different in that language and discussion and all that are useful and positive in the movie and i think in general its doing something way different than Nashville but it feels similar to me in there's that same sense of constant empathy with these characters as they struggle with all these little moments that don't really change anything because of this bigger situation they're trapped in. Like ya no doubt his bicycle's gettin jacked we know that from the title and if we've googled "neorealism" before watching it and/or realize that we're watching a 1948 Italian movie we're also aware that we're probably not bookin a cheerful time and none of it's necessarily surprising in that sense. But I think it rly nails the contrast it builds and this sense of constant panic/loss of control/fear of greater loss that comes not only when something's stolen from you but also just when you're poor and struggling. Stuff like Ricci talking to his son in the restaurant eating food he shouldn't be buying but he's buying anyways because wtf else r u supposed to do when you're poor, annoyed, halfway into the abyss and your kid's hungry? Then at the same time Ricci's son is noticing the other poor kids across the divide at a different table & Ricci starts to realize that his son is gonna be in the exact same spot he is. Then he starts thinking what he could have done differently but clearly its all chance, he finds the exact thief after losing track of him but still gets nowhere with the info, his bike is stolen not when he leaves it outside of the fortune tellers unattended, but when he is working on a ladder right by it . And thats just like a part of that one scene. its good!!

Dunno if that nashville comparison gets across like I want it to but im not rewritin this post again while the servers are down or w/e it is thats currently replacing the forums/"Preview Reply" button with an announcement from March 28th and comical picture of spiderman reporter J Jonah Jameson

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Ewar Woowar posted:

I haven't liked an entire Tarantino movie since Jackie Brown. He does some scenes so exceptionally well but can't help add gimmicky bits throughout his movies that completely take me out of the immersion.

Can't disagree with this, especially considering I think Reservoir Dogs is fantastic and Pulp Fiction is a masterpiece. Having said that I have not yet got round to seeing Jackie Brown, Django or Hateful Eight. I really enjoyed Kill Bill 1, not sure I ever saw Kill Bill 2 to the end and both Death Proof and Inglorious Basterds were ok movies that I've only been compelled to watch once.

3 A.M. Radio
Nov 5, 2003

Workin' too hard can give me
A heart attACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK!
You oughtta' know by now...
I feel like I should give it a rematch since I barely remember why I felt this way, but holy poo poo, I despised Drive. I remember thinking it was a pretentious piece of poo poo that was EXTREMELY overhyped by the internet.

Same goes for Donnie Darko. I don't think either of them are horrible movies and they're entertaining on some levels, but anybody who thinks they're these great masterpieces needs to broaden their horizons.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I really love Congo, i recognise its kind of trashy but that movie just works for me on so many levels from the talking gorilla to the lost city of zinj.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

This has been my reaction to most of this thread.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ramagamma posted:

I really love Congo, i recognise its kind of trashy but that movie just works for me on so many levels from the talking gorilla to the lost city of zinj.

Coming in 2017, Jax from Sons of Anarchy will be getting to the bottom of the lost city of zinj.

spoiler alert: he'll die right after he gets to the bottom of it

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Hat Thoughts posted:

I really dig Bicycle Thieves. Weird comparison but it kind of reminds me of Altman's Nashville. Like with Nashville something that really struck me after I saw it is how even though there's all this talking in the movie it never rly seems to change anything in a positive way. A lot of times in movies/tv/whateva(!) people make bad decisions because they're acting on incomplete evidence or misunderstanding something. In Nashville it feels like talking/knowing leads the characters to either make the exact same decision they were already going to make or a worse one.
It could be called cynical but the film is clearly empathetic towards all those characters & because we usually only know as much as a character does when they make a mistake, their bad decision is just as likely the same decision that we would tell them to make. It forces empathy because it forces us in their shoes. Then it's almost frustrating in the end because all these small decisions and victories and losses almost seem to not matter because they're irrelevant to these larger machinations (machine nations?) that can sweep us away in a second without us having done anything wrong, but the ease at which we can be swept away shows the value in all of those small decisions cuz its what we got.
(I know im oversimplifying but i think the point stands. Or maybe im forgetting/misunderstanding something & completely misinterpreting Nashville in which case nobody tell me please)

Now Bicycle Thieves i think is significantly different in that language and discussion and all that are useful and positive in the movie and i think in general its doing something way different than Nashville but it feels similar to me in there's that same sense of constant empathy with these characters as they struggle with all these little moments that don't really change anything because of this bigger situation they're trapped in. Like ya no doubt his bicycle's gettin jacked we know that from the title and if we've googled "neorealism" before watching it and/or realize that we're watching a 1948 Italian movie we're also aware that we're probably not bookin a cheerful time and none of it's necessarily surprising in that sense. But I think it rly nails the contrast it builds and this sense of constant panic/loss of control/fear of greater loss that comes not only when something's stolen from you but also just when you're poor and struggling. Stuff like Ricci talking to his son in the restaurant eating food he shouldn't be buying but he's buying anyways because wtf else r u supposed to do when you're poor, annoyed, halfway into the abyss and your kid's hungry? Then at the same time Ricci's son is noticing the other poor kids across the divide at a different table & Ricci starts to realize that his son is gonna be in the exact same spot he is. Then he starts thinking what he could have done differently but clearly its all chance, he finds the exact thief after losing track of him but still gets nowhere with the info, his bike is stolen not when he leaves it outside of the fortune tellers unattended, but when he is working on a ladder right by it . And thats just like a part of that one scene. its good!!

Dunno if that nashville comparison gets across like I want it to but im not rewritin this post again while the servers are down or w/e it is thats currently replacing the forums/"Preview Reply" button with an announcement from March 28th and comical picture of spiderman reporter J Jonah Jameson

I just find the characters to be shallow and one-note. I'm also not a huge fan of slog movies about sad poor people - "poverty" movies, Holocaust films, and movies about boarding school all have to be done really, really well for me to be interested. Everything about Bicycle Thieves feels so distant and mannered.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I was not a big fan of Ladykillers. Part of that is who I originally saw it with, but even watching it later it just didn't do much. Hail Caesar! was awesome, mostly because I loved the dumb commie jokes plus the general Coehn Brothers pacing it had.

A Serious Man remains their best movie.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

My favorite Coens is either O Brother or Hudsucker.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

people hating on refn should probably watch the pusher trilogy that stuffs so good

edit: I also want to go to bat for deadman but thinking back on it despite seeing the movie at least 5 times I've never watched it not high out of my loving mind. it's really good in that state though. killer soundtrack too

Tolkien minority fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jan 28, 2017

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I just find the characters to be shallow and one-note. I'm also not a huge fan of slog movies about sad poor people - "poverty" movies, Holocaust films, and movies about boarding school all have to be done really, really well for me to be interested. Everything about Bicycle Thieves feels so distant and mannered.

What did you think of Dead Poet's Society? Not trying to be an rear end or anything, I'm honestly curious.

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
I encourage children who are bullied to kill themselves. In fact, I get off to it. Pedophilia-snuff films are the best. More abused children need to kill themselves.
Amelie, whimsical cutesy bullshit.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Leavemywife posted:

What did you think of Dead Poet's Society? Not trying to be an rear end or anything, I'm honestly curious.

I've never seen it, it looks kind of aggravating.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Leavemywife posted:

You didn't ask me, but I found it to get cornier and more pretentious as it went along. The ending was some schmaltzy bullshit.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Spatulater bro! posted:

You didn't ask me, but I found it to get cornier and more pretentious as it went along. The ending was some schmaltzy bullshit.

Yeah, that's about right. It was a really simplistic version of Robin Williams's standard "outsider rebel" archetype (probably not as bad as Patch Adams, but in the same ballpark), and the suicide felt contrived and kind of cheap. I read a pretty good article about why its attempted resistance against the educational status quo is actually just shallow anti-intellectualism: http://www.theatlantic.com/education/archive/2014/02/-em-dead-poets-society-em-is-a-terrible-defense-of-the-humanities/283853/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Brand New Malaysian Wife posted:

Amelie, whimsical cutesy bullshit.

oh yeah I forgot I even watched this I fuvkin hated that movie for the same reasons you listed

• Locked thread