Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
all of the doctors under like 50 that i've ever talked to at parties and whatnot are super pumped for single payer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

quote:

Single-payer advocates say doctors love their system. If so, why did British doctors go out on strike twice in 2016? 

I don't know, why did British doctors go on strike in 2016?

quote:

Why are the junior doctors going on strike?

Junior doctors are still objecting to a new contract that changes what counts as a normal working week.

Previously, only 7am until 7pm on Monday through to Friday were considered standard working hours, with any extra hours warranting additional pay.

The Department of Health wants to extended the normal working hours to last until 10pm and to include Saturdays. Mr Hunt believes the changes will be a “significant step forward” towards his goal of a implementing a  seven-day NHS without allocating any additional funding.

After much negotiation, the BMA and the Government agreed to include Saturdays as part of standard time, with supplements paid for at least seven weekends a year.

oh, the lovely Tory government wanted them to work more hours without any increase in pay? wonder why that wasn't mentioned in the original article

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
my fav were the quotes

"Also we’re in dangers of doctors have much more than just shaky hands if the government succeeds in removing financial penalties for hospitals which force their doctors to work unsafe rotas. These penalties are a vital protection against safe hours.

"Reclassifying normal working hours to include 7am-10pm on Saturday could see us working every Saturday of the year. That means never getting a weekend to see our family and friends.

my wife was a resident then and she said when those articles started showin up the other people in the program would just start laughing hysterically or get super bummed about how bad training is here

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Taintrunner posted:

Dr. Deane Waldman (@SystemMD), MD, MBA, is a retired pediatric cardiologist and director of the Center for Health Care Policy at the Texas Public Policy Foundation. He serves on the board of directors of the New Mexico Health Insurance Exchange and is the author of The Cancer in the American Healthcare System.

sounds like a rent-seeker leech, imo

oh, they accidentally cut short the title of his book!!!!!

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

kill all mbas

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Best Giraffe posted:

kill all mbas

masters of business administration

🚨 fake doctor alert, fake doctor alert 🚨

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Best Giraffe posted:

kill all mbas

not an empty quote.

The best thing about business majors is how many classes you see that have to be dumbed down for them. You never see "business for math majors" but always see "math for business majors".

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

once upon a time, science and the liberal arts were one. mathematics is even still a liberal art! science and arts majors must put aside our differences and struggle as one against our common foe: the business majors, whose foul presence corrupts our time honored traditions of learning things and doing drugs in peace and prosperity

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Solkanar512 posted:

not an empty quote.

The best thing about business majors is how many classes you see that have to be dumbed down for them. You never see "business for math majors" but always see "math for business majors".

I was a finance major at one of the top undergraduate finance schools, and one of my upper level courses was called Futures and Options. Somehow this course attempted to teach about financial derivatives without ever including any calculus. The especially bizarre thing about this is that Calc I and II were both required during Freshman/Sophomore years, so students should have already taken it. It was just watered down to the point where it wasn't even useful at all, because how the hell can you even properly teach about that subject without calculus?

i think it mostly due to the need for grade inflation, since it seems like grade inflation is a huge issue at "elite" colleges.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
did the class cross over with the "executive" mba program?

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

I was a finance major at one of the top undergraduate finance schools

HISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

lancemantis posted:

did the class cross over with the "executive" mba program?

Actually yeah, the professor also taught a very similar course to the MBAs and it was held in the MBA building. My impression of the MBA program is that its main purpose was to give people the opportunity to network and further embed them in the "a bunch of people who are currently rich as gently caress or will be rich as gently caress in the future" community.

Best Giraffe posted:

HISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Well, I graduated in 2008 right into the financial crisis and ended up getting a job completely unrelated to finance as a result. If anything, my experience knowing a bunch of people in the industry has made me even more hostile towards it, because I've seen how people who are otherwise good and normal can gradually get persuaded that their fellow coworkers at investment banks, hedge funds, etc are obviously smart and would never do anything dumb or immoral, nosiree. It's easy to just get caught up in that environment when you're surrounded by a bunch of well-spoken educated people in suits and what have you, and each individual cog in the machine is rarely doing anything obviously evil, so they convince themselves that clearly the leftists (or whatever) are just ignorant and misguided in their condemnation.

Basically my net take-away is that being a well-off professional in an industry like that inherently makes people bad/harmful, rather than the people being bad/harmful to start with. It's basically impossible to change from the inside, because most people - regardless of their prior beliefs - will get swept up in the industry's culture.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
My parents are both doctors and support single payer, especially my mom who loving love to be to tell private insurers to go gently caress themselves and their lovely billing beuracracy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Glumslinger posted:

My parents are both doctors and support single payer, especially my mom who loving love to be to tell private insurers to go gently caress themselves and their lovely billing beuracracy

Oh but I thought capitalism is the most efficient system that cuts all the red tape!

• Locked thread