Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Patware
Jan 3, 2005

all the bravest is the only one flat-out bad

this has a weird kind of nostalgia to it because they pull from some random stuff in terms of names and special cards

ffrk is the purestrain nostalgia pipe

brave exvius is decent but very casual-unfriendly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
This isn't Final Fantasy all-stars like FFRK and Exvius. However, there's a pretty steady stream of callbacks, awesome remixes, and events focused on particular games. The gameplay isn't incredible, but it is...inoffensive? You can experience all content minus multiplayer with starter jobs and basic cards, so the gacha isn't too bad.

I get some fun nostalgia from it, anyway. Just wish they pulled more from SNES era. So far, just been Ultros and Gilgamesh battles, a Warrior of Light looking job (for NES era) and a Kain job class. Mind you, they did an awesome job with Ultros and Gilgamesh.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
Cool, got Knight of Etro after two pulls. Now to throw all the skill seeds into it and see how it performs.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Starting to get pretty mad about all these legend jobs released that I can't get. Last job I got was grappler or pugilist, apparently from a pity pull (which keeps happening to be the only time I'm getting jobs, I miss the job summon)

Pulled and got sazh ability card.

All these FF13 cards seem to be ST, which I am way less interested in, especially since I already have an entire set of 5* Terra Battle ST cards.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

i'm pretty sure the FF13 ST cards loving annihilate the Terra Battle ST cards in terms of damage output, aren't the Terra Battle ST cards just basic STs? the FF13 cards that aren't Fast Learner all have Damage Focus, Multistrike, and Painful Break. They're freight trains.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
Terra Battle cards aren't bad, just kinda basic. The big thing with them was that they could be 5*'d super easily. I still use some every now and then as filler for elements I don't have a better card for.

Except Echoing Regen. That one still has some good uses.

We still have a while on this event yet, so can still pull for more cards. I heard it's gonna be a while before the next awesome card batch, anyway, so might as well go heavy here.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

HPanda posted:

Terra Battle cards aren't bad, just kinda basic. The big thing with them was that they could be 5*'d super easily. I still use some every now and then as filler for elements I don't have a better card for.

Except Echoing Regen. That one still has some good uses.

We still have a while on this event yet, so can still pull for more cards. I heard it's gonna be a while before the next awesome card batch, anyway, so might as well go heavy here.

Yeah, the nice thing about the TB cards was that they were trivial to get to 5*. Another thing about those fast learners is that they have color/rebuff combinations that aren't normally available and have some interesting awoken abilities.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

I did one starter pull and got the Scholar job. Was this a good idea or should I just save up to spend on the FF 13 gacha? Never thought I'd type that sentence out.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
Starter packs are a sure bet to get you up and running. FF13 event pulls are good if you want cards that are very good and limited time, but you could wiff pretty easily and have very little to show for it. So...guaranteed good or somewhere in the range of terrible to incredible. That said, the starter packs will likely be the only guaranteed job pulls for a while, if they ever even come back again (they probably won't). In your shoes, I would probably at least try for Dancer.

Once you spend your mithril on a Mobius gift pack, see how you're feeling on the gamble, I guess. Just prioritize the gift box always.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

The tooltip says it is only available for the first 30 days of play. Currently saving up stuff to do more pulls on it while letting the game auto farm for me to play Prey. I hope I get more cool jobs like Scholar. I barely whipped that bad boy out and it's made a world of difference for my experience. Tho I do like the ranger class.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Nomadic Scholar posted:

The tooltip says it is only available for the first 30 days of play. Currently saving up stuff to do more pulls on it while letting the game auto farm for me to play Prey. I hope I get more cool jobs like Scholar. I barely whipped that bad boy out and it's made a world of difference for my experience. Tho I do like the ranger class.

You get three guaranteed jobs from those packs, it's Scholar, Dancer and Dragoon, one from each base type (non-Monk), plus some good cards that will carry you easily thru content.

I'm kinda in that phase where I don't have the right cards to do MP well. I have cards, but they don't match my classes, basically. I drew Knight of Etro but I have no good cards for it, it's sad.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
You have at least one good card. The free Lightning card from the event is excellent and pretty much made for Knight of Etro, SP and MP. I haven't even broken damage cap on it yet or leveled up the ability and it's already performing well.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

What should I be doing with the red Mobius books? My inventory is full of em.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
Use them to up the ability levels of any anniversary cards you drew. This will likely only be relevant if you upgrade them to 5*.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

My inventory is so drat full of these books and I only have the Book. What other anniversary cards are there?

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

They're the ones with art depicting moments from the game, they only dropped off the anniversary banners. The offense ones, the only ones those dropped books level:

A Witch's Kiss, Chaos's Onslaught, The Blank, The First Warrior, The Friend, The Knight, The Princess, and The Unscathed

The support ones are A New Journey, A Palamecian Tale, A Quiet Moment, and The Yellow Ribbon.

most of them kind of suck if you're not new, except A Witch's Kiss which is really good and A New Journey which trivialized playing supports in MP

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Patware posted:

They're the ones with art depicting moments from the game, they only dropped off the anniversary banners. The offense ones, the only ones those dropped books level:

A Witch's Kiss, Chaos's Onslaught, The Blank, The First Warrior, The Friend, The Knight, The Princess, and The Unscathed

The support ones are A New Journey, A Palamecian Tale, A Quiet Moment, and The Yellow Ribbon.

most of them kind of suck if you're not new, except A Witch's Kiss which is really good and A New Journey which trivialized playing supports in MP
The Knight is really good, it lets breakers in MP carry boost on elemental orbs, also comes with cleave, and has innate JCR as a passive.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

HPanda posted:

You have at least one good card. The free Lightning card from the event is excellent and pretty much made for Knight of Etro, SP and MP. I haven't even broken damage cap on it yet or leveled up the ability and it's already performing well.

I saw that one, and I also got Falcie Anima or whatever the ST laser is, but those are the two decent cards I have for the job. Probably gonna farm Lightning up during the event.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

hey girl you up posted:

The Knight is really good, it lets breakers in MP carry boost on elemental orbs, also comes with cleave, and has innate JCR as a passive.

*glances*

*looks away for a moment, slicks back hair and puffs sleazyman breath spray*

hey the knight, you're looking pretty cute to be with that crowd

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Yeah I have none of those cards. I did pull last Hunter though. Wasn't expecting that. Is it possible to further boost cards pulled at 4* augments?

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
Yes, but if you haven't cleared chapter 3.2 you'll have to do that first.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

I have just been doing the anniversary event and the lightning event. Barely cleared chapter 1. Probably should have done more before loving off to events.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Nomadic Scholar posted:

I have just been doing the anniversary event and the lightning event. Barely cleared chapter 1. Probably should have done more before loving off to events.

I wanted to farm Lightning cards and I'm getting wrecked so I understand the feeling.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

I've yet to get wrecked, I've just auto'd literally all the content I've done after I did my first Starter pack pull. poo poo was funny as hell. I even broke 2mil score once. Now I've got last Hunter to 7 crowns, and I'm out of red orbs. Thank the tutorial stuff for giving me a shitload of the skill seeds.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Nomadic Scholar posted:

Make sure you finish off the anniversary event, it closes Sunday evening. But stock up on gold/silver feathers like others mentioned to boost them to 5* later.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I was finally convinced to try this game out and I did a few rerolls to get something neat from the current event.

I uh... I did good I'm told.

So now I want an actually good ranger job to throw that on top of, should I basically go for the starter packs for that purpose? Also I'm told I wanna get the gift box at 1500 currency too since it has lots of goodies in it.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I was finally convinced to try this game out and I did a few rerolls to get something neat from the current event.

I uh... I did good I'm told.

So now I want an actually good ranger job to throw that on top of, should I basically go for the starter packs for that purpose? Also I'm told I wanna get the gift box at 1500 currency too since it has lots of goodies in it.

Yes, pull from the starters until you get Dancer and then go for the box. Then finish the starters, as there are events where you'll need multiple classes to complete.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Solkanar512 posted:

Yes, pull from the starters until you get Dancer and then go for the box. Then finish the starters, as there are events where you'll need multiple classes to complete.

There is no reason not to get the mobius box the moment you hit 1500 magicite. 1500 magicite is equivalent to 3 tickets, and the box instantly gives you 6 tickets.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

I did 2 starter pack pulls for Scholar and Dancer. Between waifu Lightning, a capped out Dancer, and a slew of capped out ability cards I feel absurdly broken right now. Then again if this is anything like Record Keeper the early game might be an absurdly easy cakewalk regardless.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

hey girl you up posted:

There is no reason not to get the mobius box the moment you hit 1500 magicite. 1500 magicite is equivalent to 3 tickets, and the box instantly gives you 6 tickets.

poo poo, this is absolutely right, sorry.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
Don't base the game's difficulty on the story dungeons. The only story dungeons that can't be auto'd through reliably start at ch. 5, and even then only because of elemental buff and debuff shenanigans. The AI doesn't account for things like "Wind damage now does 2%" and will just keep spamming that wind damage because hey, the enemy is earth element. Even that's probably not a big deal unless running on Hard mode.

Once you have your stuff in order, the only real challenge comes up in ranking events and multiplayer. That's probably what the score mechanic is there for, I think. It gives a challenge while surviving a battle isn't challenging.

Speaking of scores, that paradigm mechanic in the Lightning XIII event is spoiling me. The AI reliably gets around 40-50 million points now under auto, and I've so far managed to get 139 million points on a half-hearted attempt. Tempted to see just how high I can push this while the event is going. It's pretty fun seeing multiple hits from ultimate at the true damage cap (999,999).

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

So should I just get rid of these anniversary tomes? I still don't have any of the cards they can affect. And I have like 40 of the fuckers.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

yes

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
Mobius is a cool game that you can mostly idle and see cool story bits.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Occultist: Legendary Ghost/Legendary Dragonlord/Dhampyr/A Witch's Kiss

I have these maxed out right now but they can't beat mobius/omega battles in FF13. What should I have instead?

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

I joined at a bad time with the anniversary ending today.

I was so happy when I finished what I thought was the end only for "Part 1 Complete!" :negative:

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Occultist: Legendary Ghost/Legendary Dragonlord/Dhampyr/A Witch's Kiss

I have these maxed out right now but they can't beat mobius/omega battles in FF13. What should I have instead?
You lack all three of the soloing holy trinity of haste/boost/faith, and don't have any wall or barrier either, so those are all holes that could probably be patched up. You have mage's trance for lesser versions of faith/boost, but it's 30%, where normal faith is 50% and normal boost is 100%. I'd personally put in KOTR instead of LDL, something like Occultist just does not have the break power to do hard content like those fights without a major break power boost.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I joined at a bad time with the anniversary ending today.

I was so happy when I finished what I thought was the end only for "Part 1 Complete!" :negative:

They like to make you think you've missed out on something, only to later give you another go or, more commonly, throw in even better stuff.

Try clearing the FFXIII event even a little because it gives you a TON of good stuff. You won't feel bad about missing out on the Anniversary event.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Sorry, I meant Legendary Hargon not Legendary Dragonlord.

I have all the normal jobs pre-job summon, been playing since about since release. I only have Mythic Knight for legend jobs

Could I have some suggestions on creating a deck that may work for this harder content?

Here's a list:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

You lack all three of the soloing holy trinity of haste/boost/faith, and don't have any wall or barrier either, so those are all holes that could probably be patched up.
You don't need any of those for the current ff13 stuff because you get them all from paradigm shift (haste/boost from blue, barrier/wall from yellow, faith/brave from red).

• Locked thread