Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Another act of Final Fantasy VII comes to a close in Chapter 40: Coldest. It's one of the most dramatic chapters yet! I'm glad it's over because I think this is where the game picks up again for me, not that this last act was bad or anything. I'm really exciting about these upcoming parts. Also hopefully before long I'll be able to tackle some optional stuff like the Battle Squares.

Scalding Coffee posted:

They are giving you a lot of AP for these battles.

The AP rates boom even further in this next video. It seems like when I wasn't paying attention I started getting huge amounts of AP consistent with the final dungeon in vanilla FF7. I can't complain and I get the feeling it works with the challenge arc the mod maker wants with this hack. I was worried about leveling up too fast in this game but it seems like most people playing this mod are in their level 50s around this part of the game, as I saw in 4-8's Let's Stream. Not to mention levels aren't as important in this mod since the only way to get stats is through Rank Ups and equipments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Tifa finally lived her dream of being a Commando.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

DoubleCakes posted:

Another act of Final Fantasy VII comes to a close in Chapter 40: Coldest. It's one of the most dramatic chapters yet! I'm glad it's over because I think this is where the game picks up again for me, not that this last act was bad or anything. I'm really exciting about these upcoming parts. Also hopefully before long I'll be able to tackle some optional stuff like the Battle Squares.

The AP rates boom even further in this next video. It seems like when I wasn't paying attention I started getting huge amounts of AP consistent with the final dungeon in vanilla FF7. I can't complain and I get the feeling it works with the challenge arc the mod maker wants with this hack. I was worried about leveling up too fast in this game but it seems like most people playing this mod are in their level 50s around this part of the game, as I saw in 4-8's Let's Stream. Not to mention levels aren't as important in this mod since the only way to get stats is through Rank Ups and equipments.

Totally OK with them boosting AP rates, they were way too low in vanilla for my taste. Quake 3 was doing work because you were able to unlock if with that boosted AP gain.

Miacis
Oct 9, 2012

Get off my lawn!!
I like how fake-Sephiroth was given a bunch of attacks themed after being a fake, and how jenova-WAR is all berserk and confusion. This mod is good with adding flavor to boss encounters instead of just difficulty.

Scalding Coffee posted:

Tifa finally lived her dream of being a Commando.

In 2015, Sega Chief posted videos of a specific FF7 magic-only challenge run where he had edited a bunch of player models, one of them was a Tifa in SOLDIER attire. This may or may not have inspired this Commando lady we keep encountering. It probably did, since some of the other models can be found in NT.

Miacis fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Apr 9, 2018

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

We've arrived at the next part of New Threat, 41: What A Sticky Situation!

As I said in the description, I like this chapter for its urban environments.

Miacis posted:

I like how fake-Sephiroth was given a bunch of attacks themed after being a fake, and how jenova-WAR is all berserk and confusion. This mod is good with adding flavor to boss encounters instead of just difficulty.

I've been noticing this too and I'm liking it. It's top-tier game mod design.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Did the mod fix the slap fight in case you win?

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

This next part 42: The (Mis)adventures of Tifa Lockhart focuses on a lot of extra/side stuff that the player can do just after getting the airship. Because of various sidequests opening up over the back end of disc 2 we are going to have a lot of these kind of episodes.

Also, I've been a bit slow with getting these episodes out, but for good reason! For the last while I've been busy with a video project: a "video essay" on my experience with La-Mulana and the 260 hours it took to beat it without a guide. So if you're interested in La-Mulana, the infamous puzzle metroidvania, you might want to check it out! It's been getting some buzz!

Scalding Coffee posted:

Did the mod fix the slap fight in case you win?

I'm not sure. Weirdly enough I'm not sure how you 'win' the slap fight.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The flag for winning the slap fight got turned off. You are now supposed to lose it. Probably to make things more desperate instead of being another fight you won and the bad guys are still standing.

Found some random trivia: If you take the elevators in the Shinra HQ raid to rescue Aeris, the guy you run into is named Hito.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Apr 19, 2018

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

We begin out search for the Mega-Materia in Episode 43: 10 Minutes of Desperation! I start this episode with a nasty surprise when I try to cheat and take the Quadra Magic. Moving on to the episode proper, I head to Corel to claim the first Mega-Materia and that Shinra train battle is intense. I try to pepper up the recording with a personal story but it's pretty goofy.

Scalding Coffee posted:

Found some random trivia: If you take the elevators in the Shinra HQ raid to rescue Aeris, the guy you run into is named Hito.

I think I've had this happen to me once. For what I know it's very rare, especially so since I usually take the stairs at the Shinra HQ!

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Did you end up having the train go super fast before it suddenly stops at Corel? That is another weird quirk in the regular game and you get yelled at for doing it.

edit: Turns out that the fighting mini-game in Gold Saucer is different than the one in Legend of Legaia. The game does read your input with Afro Man and forces you to eat one or two hits before it will let you damage the guy again. I never got to the fourth character, who looks like a fat/muscular Sentai ranger, and the last fight is just you inputting attacks until you beat yourself, to get 300GP.
Certainly a scaled down version of the one in LoL.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Apr 22, 2018

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Episode 44!
We reach the end of the Cloud's Missing saga with Episode 44: Cloud's Final Fantasy, which includes me doing the final Fort Condor mission, testing out some spells and equipment, returning to Mideel to check on Cloud, and I try to finish my Blind Side story.

Hold on tight, because coming up next is a lot of fun side content and Junon!

Scalding Coffee posted:

Did you end up having the train go super fast before it suddenly stops at Corel? That is another weird quirk in the regular game and you get yelled at for doing it.
I sped the train up, yeah. Maybe the dialogue is different but if you either speed the train up or slow it down the result is the same and you get the Ultima materia (or in the case of NT, the Planet materia).

Scalding Coffee posted:

edit: Turns out that the fighting mini-game in Gold Saucer is different than the one in Legend of Legaia. The game does read your input with Afro Man and forces you to eat one or two hits before it will let you damage the guy again. I never got to the fourth character, who looks like a fat/muscular Sentai ranger, and the last fight is just you inputting attacks until you beat yourself, to get 300GP.
Certainly a scaled down version of the one in LoL.
I've griped about the Gold Saucer minigames but I have most trouble on the fighting game. It's too hard for me to learn the moves, even if the prize is great. In NT I think the guy that sells GP outside of Gold Saucer appears more frequently so I can dump more gil into him so I don't have to worry about GP when I want to do the Battle Square.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

The fighting game is rigged to be a set X% to win, lose, or draw each time you hit a button. I think it's something like, a 95, 50, 3, and .03% chance to win each respective fight. I'm trying to figure out how to program a macro to keep playing basketball for me so I can get GP but apparently "hold Z for .45 seconds, let go, then mash Z bunch and start over" is way harder to program than I'd have thought. Also I don't care nearly enough to do it.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
When they said they fixed the dialog for the PC, I would not have expected an F bomb.
Did NT change up the Battle Arena? Having all the enemies be much stronger would hurt the balance, even though they are very weak in the original. Still worth it for the shoes.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

suicidesteve posted:

The fighting game is rigged to be a set X% to win, lose, or draw each time you hit a button. I think it's something like, a 95, 50, 3, and .03% chance to win each respective fight. I'm trying to figure out how to program a macro to keep playing basketball for me so I can get GP but apparently "hold Z for .45 seconds, let go, then mash Z bunch and start over" is way harder to program than I'd have thought. Also I don't care nearly enough to do it.
Didn't realize that randomness was a part of the fighting game. As for the basketball game I know more than a couple people that got the rhythm down to make it a dependable GP resource, not that I'd have the patience for it.

Scalding Coffee posted:

When they said they fixed the dialog for the PC, I would not have expected an F bomb.
Did NT change up the Battle Arena? Having all the enemies be much stronger would hurt the balance, even though they are very weak in the original. Still worth it for the shoes.
The F-bomb sticks out but it's not a big deal. It's just weird that while everyone has to @#%&! Yuffie is uncensored.

As for the Battle Arena, I'll get into it more next episode but the Battle Square has been revamped so that there is no randomization in the enemy parties.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Yeah, I don't care if the word "gently caress" is used; but it clearly shows that line was written from scratch since the rest of the dialogue follows normal FFVII conventions.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Turns out that the poison stack glitch only works on the actual hardware and is not something you can reproduce on an emulator. At best, I could get a one time double tick of poison on Midgar Zolom, Godo, and his goons. I was convinced it was something you can always do in the game and it only worked on certain bosses, like with the freeze glitch when you let poison kill Midgar Zolom.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

That relies on literally opening the top of the PSX, which keeps it from loading the next thing but allows battle ticks to keep happening. You're right, an emulator can't reproduce that without you being able to tell it to stop streaming new data from the ISO for a while.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

--Episode 45--
In this Episode 45: Try Everything, Fail At Everything we take a peak at many changes that New Threat brings, including the entirely new Special Battles and Junon Leagues. Then, we head into Junon Reactor!

As for the poison glitch, I'm glad we got that sorted out because I faintly remember hearing about that back in the day and was curious.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

You can save the world with toad.

Does the mod list the changes for Battle Arena? It would have been a boon to try out the disc one fights.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

--Episode 46--
We're up to Episode 46: It's My Sub Now! We finish off Junon Reactor and claim the submarine from our Shinra enemies. How tough is the Keelhaul Armor, the New Threat version of Carry Armor? Later on I get frustrated with the submarine minigame because the way I have my keyboard set up does not translate into minigames very well.

Scalding Coffee posted:

You can save the world with toad.
I only played the GBA version of FF2 but I was surprised in how effective Toad spamming was. I think even one phase of the final boss was vulnerable to Toad, which is hilarious.

Scalding Coffee posted:

Does the mod list the changes for Battle Arena? It would have been a boon to try out the disc one fights.
I'm not sure, I can't find a list. Looking back I should have given the Battle Arena another chance, but alas.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
It took way too many resets to get the marching mini-game to work perfectly. Turns out that mashing the button is not a guarantee, since sometimes you have a cooldown between presses to get points and you failed because of it. Guess there is some RNG working against you.

Bombs had a Right arm to steal in the original and that did around 1400 to all the enemies and wins the last fights of the arena, since the last enemy group ignored the molotov. Shrapnel was a cheap arena item you buy that was a non-elemental and AoE molotov. Those three items really made short work of the game for a while. I imagine a bunch of mols and shrapnel would clear up the arena after you went two or three dungeons when you get the buggy. Any earlier and your options would be too limited when the arena penalties load up.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

--Episode 47--
This is one of those episodes where I get pulverized. Episode 47: Ninja War 19XX features the appearance of a New Threat exclusive boss fight at Wutai, not to mention a run-in with the New Threat version of the Emerald Weapon!

Scalding Coffee posted:

It took way too many resets to get the marching mini-game to work perfectly. Turns out that mashing the button is not a guarantee, since sometimes you have a cooldown between presses to get points and you failed because of it. Guess there is some RNG working against you.
I don't know what you even get for the marching mini-game because I've never understood the logic of it.

Scalding Coffee posted:

Bombs had a Right arm to steal in the original and that did around 1400 to all the enemies and wins the last fights of the arena, since the last enemy group ignored the molotov. Shrapnel was a cheap arena item you buy that was a non-elemental and AoE molotov. Those three items really made short work of the game for a while. I imagine a bunch of mols and shrapnel would clear up the arena after you went two or three dungeons when you get the buggy. Any earlier and your options would be too limited when the arena penalties load up.
Most of my experience in vanilla FF7 is buying grenades in Midgar and never using them. In New Threat I've made more use of items but I'm not surprised that items are used to rush through early Battle Arena. I don't like the Battle Arena so I've never tried to do it until I had to (for the Omnislash).

DoubleCakes fucked around with this message at 22:04 on May 8, 2018

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
hi i just wanted to say thanks for doing this LP, I've found it pretty entertaining and showing off a gameplay mod that I wouldn't have played myself

that's all bye

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
FFVII just loves useless games. The march can get you some grenades, maybe healing items, ethers, or 5000 gil. Worthless. The dialog is the better payoff. "Give that soldier a bomb."
Grenades made the early game up to Bottomswell real easy. Worth the money to stock up, since enemies outside Midgar dropped expensive stuff.

The Disc 1 arena gave you speed materia for a few thousand points, so maybe you could have got some good stuff in New Threat.

I checked Tifa's piano and it didn't have that extra materia, so someone stocked more stuff in it later. Maybe get it during disc 2 in the original version.

Since you know you are going to get murdered, why not try to Sense, Manipulate, and Throw stuff at the new bosses? I bet money can solve some problems.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 02:41 on May 6, 2018

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

--Episode 48--
In Episode 48: Corridor of Atrocities we explore the Sunken Gelnika. We start the episode with some audio problems but those clear up in a bit. Gelnika is already a hard dungeon in vanilla FF7. How much worse does it get in New Threat?

Sperglord Firecock posted:

hi i just wanted to say thanks for doing this LP, I've found it pretty entertaining and showing off a gameplay mod that I wouldn't have played myself

that's all bye
Your words mean a lot! You're very welcome and I hope you stick with me to the end.

Scalding Coffee posted:

The Disc 1 arena gave you speed materia for a few thousand points, so maybe you could have got some good stuff in New Threat.

I checked Tifa's piano and it didn't have that extra materia, so someone stocked more stuff in it later. Maybe get it during disc 2 in the original version.

Since you know you are going to get murdered, why not try to Sense, Manipulate, and Throw stuff at the new bosses? I bet money can solve some problems.

i haven't used a lot of throw and I'm starting to wonder if that was a big mistake. I even used Manipulate and Morph more times than Throw.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
You should check on your status resistances if the Ribbon is negating regen.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Scalding Coffee posted:

I'm pretty sure Ribbon blocks everything. I can't use regen, shield, or any positive status when it's equipped.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

--Episode 49--
We're up to Episode 49: Guidebook: Most Important Item and while a whole episode focused on the Guidebook might not sound fascinating, stay tuned to see how New Threat changes the Kalm Traveler so that the player has the ability to bypass Chocobo Breeding entirely and still get a Gold Chocobo!

Scalding Coffee posted:

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

I'm pretty sure Ribbon blocks everything. I can't use regen, shield, or any positive status when it's equipped.

I've confirmed that Ribbon blocks buffs. This changes things.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I think I got Kefka to punch himself to death.

Do you still get items that prevent status changes?

Miacis
Oct 9, 2012

Get off my lawn!!
Regarding Ep 48, I just wanna give a quick shoutout to the first post in the thread. :v:

Miacis posted:

- Peerless and Resist are two very niche effects from the vanilla game that see some more use in NT. (...) Resist also blocks not just the application of new statuses (including buffs), it also prevents you from removing existing ones until you Dispel it. Might be useful if you find yourself unable to apply buffs or cure something with Esuna in the future.

So that's the deal with Reno's opening attack. It sets Poison, Doom and Resist on you, and you need to dispel the Resist before you can cure your status. But you managed to blitz them down pretty fast regardless... which is good because those Death Forces you cast? They got resisted too.

Miacis fucked around with this message at 22:42 on May 15, 2018

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

--Episode 50--
Going live now is Episode 50: Not Without My Chocobo! In this demicentennial episode of New Threat, I make my way around the world and fight a collection of tough New Threat exclusive bosses.

Scalding Coffee posted:

Do you still get items that prevent status changes?

I think there is a consumable item that gives the target Resist. I'm not sure, though.

Miacis posted:

So that's the deal with Reno's opening attack. It sets Poison, Doom and Resist on you, and you need to dispel the Resist before you can cure your status. But you managed to blitz them down pretty fast regardless... which is good because those Death Forces you cast? They got resisted too.

Thanks for the reminder, unfortunately you'll have to put up with me for a few videos before this lesson gets through my head. But it is something I keep in mind as I go forward.

DoubleCakes fucked around with this message at 22:44 on May 16, 2018

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Every one of these bosses might as well require a fake start of using every attack and ailment you can use, because damage racing doesn't work on any of them.
Were the last two bosses Shinryu and Omega?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Omega AND shinryu? Goddamn.

And yeah these seem to be puzzle bosses, and if the dev isn't a tactics 1.3 style dickhole as soon as you get their gimmick you can probably shut it down easy.
Like the goldberries might just be to put resist on all your guys.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 02:11 on May 17, 2018

Miacis
Oct 9, 2012

Get off my lawn!!
Congrats on defeating the Kaktuar on the first go! His deal is that he has a ton of evade and pretty good defense, but if you attack him with magic, he grows in size. Once he's big enough, he'll use "Cactageddon" which is basically Cloud's Finishing Touch, and an unavoidable party wipe. I uh... I believe you were one or two hits away from that.

I think all the materia cave bosses were designed with several ways to beat them. Like, the Bomb King, sure you can go at it straight and try to heal the bombs to keep them alive while you fight the big guy. But you can also be sneaky and confuse them before they die, so they detonate on each other. Or do as DoubleCakes did, try out Odin and be glad you did.
The Kaktuar, you can slowly duke it out with limits and high accuracy moves, healing with items to ignore the MP attacks and the size mechanic. Or blitz it down with magic before he summons the death tornado, if you have the DPS for it.

Even the Goldberries you can go at it different ways. Without giving out any strategy ideas for them, they're mostly designed to gently caress with your head. Previous versions of the fight even had "change player model sizes" as one of the random counters. It didn't play any Goldberry animation, wasn't labeled, and had no mechanical effect so it was like... whut why is cloud bigger now.
Also Chef's Curse put the zombie effect on everyone and it was the worst.

I think now, the Chef's curse doesn't even have any mechanical effects anymore, but it warns you that all their moves ignore status immunity/resist. And some of their moves seem to put resist on you so it's extra hard to remove the statuses they set. So casting Resist on yourself might actually be a counterproductive in this fight.

Miacis fucked around with this message at 22:42 on May 17, 2018

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
Just messaging to say I'm really enjoying this LP for all the weird poo poo this hack puts in.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I knew the Kaktuar fight would be special since the field was zoomed out. I was expecting it to be bigger than the bomb boss and be moving limbs at his tallest or grow a stache.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

--Episode 51--
Episode 51: The Plot Returns is exactly what it sounds like: we focus on plot stuff in this episode like Rocket Town and then Ultimate Weapon.

Scalding Coffee posted:

Every one of these bosses might as well require a fake start of using every attack and ailment you can use, because damage racing doesn't work on any of them.
Were the last two bosses Shinryu and Omega?

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Omega AND shinryu? Goddamn.

And yeah these seem to be puzzle bosses, and if the dev isn't a tactics 1.3 style dickhole as soon as you get their gimmick you can probably shut it down easy.
Like the goldberries might just be to put resist on all your guys.

Yes, it's Omega and Shinryu from FF5 and they are pretty hard. I will check up with them after I'm done Midgar and see if I can at least figure a few things out.

Miacis posted:

Even the Goldberries you can go at it different ways. Without giving out any strategy ideas for them, they're mostly designed to gently caress with your head. Previous versions of the fight even had "change player model sizes" as one of the random counters. It didn't play any Goldberry animation, wasn't labeled, and had no mechanical effect so it was like... whut why is cloud bigger now.
Also Chef's Curse put the zombie effect on everyone and it was the worst.

I think now, the Chef's curse doesn't even have any mechanical effects anymore, but it warns you that all their moves ignore status immunity/resist. And some of their moves seem to put resist on you so it's extra hard to remove the statuses they set. So casting Resist on yourself might actually be a counterproductive in this fight.

Reading up on earlier versions of the Goldberries makes me happy with what they are now, as tough as they are.

Ubiquitous_ posted:

Just messaging to say I'm really enjoying this LP for all the weird poo poo this hack puts in.

Thank ye kindly!

not lame!
May 9, 2006
STYLE!
I can't wait to see more of the crazy poo poo in this mod. I look forward to you getting revenge on these bullshit bosses. This looks challenging but not impossible.

This is far more interesting than the nightmare mod, which seems to be hard for the sake of being hard, or the necrosis mod (no healing items in it, when if a character dies they stay dead forever).

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

--Episode 52--
Episode 52: Terror In The Sky we fight Ultimate Weapon, go back to Midgar Sector 5, and have a rematch against the Goldberries. Will I triumph over both Ultimate Weapon and the Goldberries?

Also in the meantime I released a video on my experience having dial-up until 2014 so check that out if ya wanna!

not lame! posted:

I can't wait to see more of the crazy poo poo in this mod. I look forward to you getting revenge on these bullshit bosses. This looks challenging but not impossible.

This is far more interesting than the nightmare mod, which seems to be hard for the sake of being hard, or the necrosis mod (no healing items in it, when if a character dies they stay dead forever).

I've looked into the Nightmare mod and Necrosis mod both and I don't really care for them. New Threat is really the first FF7 mod I've played because nothing up to that point interested me quite like NT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The Goldberry fight ended as expected. I am surprised Shadow Flare was permitted to cause a lot of damage to a story boss. The WEAPON fights sure are a league of their own in any version of the game.