Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
Frankly melee combat is just unbalanced and will be a drag solo until you get skills that can counter mobs just abusing turtling by breaking guard and staggering. It feels like dark souls but isn't as nuanced, so you're going to have a bad time using roll jitsu to try and player skill through every encounter purely in melee. Get traps, get ranged attacks, and embrace abusing AI and cheesing encounters or otherwise fully engaging with your arsenal. I think the game is much more enjoyable co-op.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012
I love Outward melee combat. It's like buying your way to power.

Melee isn't about health bars or timing in Outward. It's all about the white stun bar. It's safe to hit an enemy as long as you'll drop or keep their stun bar below 50%. Early game (using only the skills you can buy in Cierzo) this means you have two safe initiating attacks. The push kick that you start with, and the shield bash you can buy cheaply enough. Keep your distance unless those skills are off cooldown, and then move in to circle strafe and punish the enemy when they miss you. The knockdown that happens after 3(?) hits is neither a punishment nor a reward. It prevents infinite combos (bad for you), but there's no way to avoid the knockdown without resetting the enemies stun bar (so the extra hits are good).

Your basic stat restoring buffs are SUPER important in Outward. You should never, ever be without a stamina recovery buff, and it's worth making Gaberry Tartine from day one instead of struggling with the weak stuff. 3 silver per meal to buy the ingredients is not going to break the bank. You should try to drink water before getting into fights, too. Water is easy to refill in (almost) every zone; so you shouldn't be worried about conserving it. The water based stamina recovery buff stacks with the food based buff, so you can get souls-like stamina recovery instead of the terrible base recovery.

Health restoring meals are very cost effective compared to bandages, so you can afford to trade some hits in almost any fight. Your armor is bad though, so you can't trade often. Save bandages for when you're really beat up and need to heal quickly. Note, bandages are NOT in-combat healing. They're slow to apply and slow to take effect. They're only worth using because they stop bleeding and stack with food buffs.

Do use traps; traps often push an enemy's stun bar near the 50% line. They're also a good combo with your kick/bash against the really tough enemies who can shrug those off. (Actually you should probably run from the tough enemies, but traps + skill is the way to stun them until you get better weapons.)

Guns are fantastic; they're like traps you re-arm after you win the fight. Just swap and shoot. Remember to reload. If you see a gun in the trader caravan, it is probably the best 50 silver you can spend. Bows have never felt good to me, not even the end-game ones.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

i got a spear and stabbed some hyenas to death then tied the hyena fangs to my spear and now it glows slightly and makes people bleed to death

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I picked this up a couple days ago and hell, it's neat. Definitely reminds me of Gothic in a good way and I dig how it encourages you to utilize all the tricks at your disposal to make combat easier. I just wish that there wasn't so much empty space. Traveling from place to place drags after a while.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

i have no idea which faction to pick. i want to do evil spells.

Drizvolta
Oct 31, 2011

juggalo baby coffin posted:

i have no idea which faction to pick. i want to do evil spells.

You can pick up spells from any trainer no matter which faction you pick, with one minor exception: if you pick the Holy Mission faction the friendly immaculate will attack you on sight and you won't be able to learn the possession boon.

The new DLC area has the hex mage which has some pretty evil feeling spells, or you can go train with the mercenary trainer to learn how to pull the blood from your enemies, healing you and also loading your gun.

One thing to mention however is that once you pick a faction you should return to your hometown to pick up a very important sidequest from the head guard. Failing to do this sidequest means that your hometown is wiped out.

jboslund
Jan 27, 2009

Gobblecoque posted:

I picked this up a couple days ago and hell, it's neat. Definitely reminds me of Gothic in a good way and I dig how it encourages you to utilize all the tricks at your disposal to make combat easier. I just wish that there wasn't so much empty space. Traveling from place to place drags after a while.

The distances and travel time pretty much have to be intentional. It fits in with the rest of the experience. "Do I really want to fight three whole bandits, all at once?" 'Do I really want to run into this dark cave?" "Do I really want to go all the way to Monsoon? Maybe I'll wait until I can think of two more reasons to go to Monsoon, and save the extra trips."

That said, there's tricks to help you move faster, too. Once I found a pair of boots that made me run faster, I decided I never needed to wear plate boots again. Also,the chickens drop a rare item, plus the desert chickens can be cooked into a meal that makes you run faster. It all stacks.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Traps look really broken. I mean, most of everything in this looks broken but traps especially. Magic looks really fun but it seems like it requires at least 75 different hotkeys to combine skills to use it effectively.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

This game feels so, so much like Two Worlds and I don't know how I feel about that.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Jimbot posted:

Traps look really broken. I mean, most of everything in this looks broken but traps especially. Magic looks really fun but it seems like it requires at least 75 different hotkeys to combine skills to use it effectively.

Traps are very strong but you do have to go through lugging them around and setting them up so I've found that as I progress and get stronger I use them less. Mostly for larger groups of enemies and more intimidating looking foes. A lot of times in dungeons I like to set up a few with no particular target just to create a fall-back point in case I get surprised or mess up. Early on though they're a lifesaver and I spammed that poo poo everywhere.

I joined up with the desert guys and have been specializing in the mercenary (guns) and rogue engineer (traps and daggers) classes and it's been wild how much damage I'm doing now. Frost bullets are very cool (heh), effectively turns pistols into shotguns that really mess up groups. Daggers are also a lot more powerful than I would have thought. The backstab skill is nuts: low cooldown and stamina cost for huge damage and if you pay attention lots of enemies will show you their rear end when they end an attack combo. According to the wiki it's even stronger than the description suggests and from my experience I believe it.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
The real trick to melee combat is to just get next to them a circle strafe to the right while mashing attack.this will work on practically anything.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
The real real trick is to get full movement boosting gear and just zoom around at the speed of sound while the enemy lurches through attack patterns and than bop 'em with a poison dagger.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Do the weapon stats hide something? Like I find a quarterstaff which is a twohanded weapon needing more materials, and it seems to have worse stats than the basic club?

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid
It's been a while, but different weapon types have different attack abilities from trainers.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Weapons of different classes also have their own attack patterns which dictate their base speed and reach in addition to moveset preference. Like a one-handed sword and a two-handed mace that both have a speed of 1 won't be attacking at the same actual speed.

Besides, costs don't matter with regards to the club vs quarterstaff since they're basically free both in terms of crafting requirements and just finding them lying around in the starting town.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Gobblecoque posted:

Like a one-handed sword and a two-handed mace that both have a speed of 1 won't be attacking at the same actual speed.

Oh, right. So the Speed is only for reference within a class, it shouldn't be compared across classes.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I just bought this on a whim. Any tips for starting out?

Drizvolta
Oct 31, 2011

Before leaving the village in search of cash to pay back your debt, you can grab anything not nailed down to the floor so don't be afraid to just pick stuff up.
If you leave the village via the main gate the guard will teach you a weapon skill for whatever you currently have equipped, so look high and low through the town and you should be able to find most of the basic ones, so just use whatever you fancy.
Dodging with your backpack on removes all your iframes so make sure to drop it when you get into a fight.
Drinking water before getting into a fight will give you extra stamina regen.
Eating meat-based dishes will give you a heal over time, helpful to keep yourself topped off between fights.

Here's 2 tips to help repay your debt at the start:

If you need a bunch of cash, you can complete Helen's quest to get a strange mushroom, you can find her to the left of the main gate up on a balcony. The trog cave is to the NW of town.

If you want to repay the debt immediately with no challenge: On the beach south of town there's an injured man, give him a bandage and he'll give you a writ to cancel the whole payment. Just watch out for the electric pistol shrimp.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Do the "no challenge" thing, use the money from the mushroom quest to get an alchemy set then start making the big bucks. Super-duper cheat spoilers Thick Oil + Water gets you 3 Warm Potion that sells for a decent mount. Honestly, I really like the idea of being just another adventurer but the carry limit is annoyingly limited and the combat is too janky for how punishing it is. Still, it's a more intuitive Gothic, if you played or heard of that series, but in that game you were able to get to the top a bit easier, this game likes to punish you for looting things.

I highly recommend you get some mods. I got one that got rid of food spoiling and that made the game 100x more enjoyable since it was one less thing to worry about in a game where you have to keep track of no less than ten trillion things.

Oh and I recommend using the 2-handed Axes to start with. They're surprisingly fast and their "heavy" attack is actually a two-hit combo that's extremely fast.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Does this get ridiculously easy by the mid/endgame or does it stay tough?

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

victrix posted:

Does this get ridiculously easy by the mid/endgame or does it stay tough?

In my experience yeah it gets a lot easier as it goes on because once you start building up a collection of skills that work with each other you're able to kill so quickly that 99% of encounters can't even touch you. It stays somewhat interesting though because you can potentially die very quickly, especially if you're like me and don't wear much armor because gently caress anything that makes you slower in this running simulator of a game.

Drizvolta
Oct 31, 2011

Having access to magic and easy mp refills also can trivialize combat pretty easily, you do a lot of damage from range. Rune magic is absolutely bonkers once you know the combos

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Ive been playing more and more of the game and really I have just been hanging around the starting town even though I have like 400 silver pieces. I just don't know when I will be prepared to go somewhere else.

It started off slow, but I like it! I can reliably kill everything near Cierzo and can kill the mantis shrimp as long as I can get them alone.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
You're ready to go investigate more of chersonese and hit up enmerkar at least

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Nonexistence posted:

You're ready to go investigate more of chersonese and hit up enmerkar at least

Checked out some fortress because I thought I could sell stuff there and the guy inside was acting really creepy and weird so I noped out of there.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
Yeah that place is a real barrel of monkeys

Anyone here play soroboreans yet? Is it a new main quest faction or postgame?

Drizvolta
Oct 31, 2011

It's a new main quest faction, although there are some rather tough bits so it does help to have a bit of gear and experience

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

How do I get rid of this Corruption bullshit? I've got a permanent hunger and lightning res debuff on me.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

The combat in this gets so much easier once you get the brutal club. One handed swords feel so pointless in this. I finally worked up the knowledge to be confident enough to venture to Monsoon. I had tried the forest and the game basically ate all my food so I had to return to Cierzo. What is the best way for a melee character to deal with ghosts?

I am really enjoying this, although I can't but help but feel that a lot of things in this game are just deliberately obtuse or more complex just for the sake of being more complex.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
It's supposed to have that vibe to harken back to older RPGs with arcane mechanics you would have to like scour game guides and forums of player experimentation to fully understand. Melee guys should get weapon buff spells or consumables for ghosties.

Drizvolta
Oct 31, 2011

blackguy32 posted:

The combat in this gets so much easier once you get the brutal club. One handed swords feel so pointless in this. I finally worked up the knowledge to be confident enough to venture to Monsoon. I had tried the forest and the game basically ate all my food so I had to return to Cierzo. What is the best way for a melee character to deal with ghosts?

I am really enjoying this, although I can't but help but feel that a lot of things in this game are just deliberately obtuse or more complex just for the sake of being more complex.

One-Handed weapons are so you can use a shield/gun/book in your offhand. Melee characters need to apply a varnish or rag of some element, but especially spiritual, to deal more damage against ghosts.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

So, I feel like i've put a dozen hours into this and barely made any kind of progress. I was hoping there'd be a bit more guidance and density of things to do outside of the first area, and there is to an extent, but not nearly as much as I'd like. Bummer. Hopefully a sequel or future DLC helps.

That said, I'm looking for some guidance. I'm at the phase where I feel like i've explored the hell out of the first Cheronese or w/e area but still generally get my rear end kicked unless I'm very, very, very careful. Is picking a faction meant to be more of a late game thing? I assumed it was like Gothic where picking your camp would open you up to story and start the game in earnest but it's really not feeling that way, especially the swamp area which murdered me about 10 feet into it.

What's a good way to make a lot of money? I never have more than about 500 silver at once and it tends to go quick since I run out of supplies and stuff. I use a bone mace (the one after iron, with predator bones) and bone shield but I'm not especially clear on where to go from there.

Are there any good ways to... increase survivability? What should I be looking for in armor? I assume protection is some manner of damage soak but I don't see it mentioned anywhere.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Sankis posted:

So, I feel like i've put a dozen hours into this and barely made any kind of progress. I was hoping there'd be a bit more guidance and density of things to do outside of the first area, and there is to an extent, but not nearly as much as I'd like. Bummer. Hopefully a sequel or future DLC helps.

That said, I'm looking for some guidance. I'm at the phase where I feel like i've explored the hell out of the first Cheronese or w/e area but still generally get my rear end kicked unless I'm very, very, very careful. Is picking a faction meant to be more of a late game thing? I assumed it was like Gothic where picking your camp would open you up to story and start the game in earnest but it's really not feeling that way, especially the swamp area which murdered me about 10 feet into it.

What's a good way to make a lot of money? I never have more than about 500 silver at once and it tends to go quick since I run out of supplies and stuff. I use a bone mace (the one after iron, with predator bones) and bone shield but I'm not especially clear on where to go from there.

Are there any good ways to... increase survivability? What should I be looking for in armor? I assume protection is some manner of damage soak but I don't see it mentioned anywhere.

Dont feel too bad, I played Cheronese so much that I think I killed everything in it, that includes all of the respawns. Once you get over the hump, you will most likely be unstoppable.

As for survivability, first, what is your build? The Ammolite armor is a good armor set that you can easily get near the start. You can mine ammolite on the beach, palladium spikes occasionally go on sale from the soroborean merchant in Cierzo. It gives a damage bonus, doesn't hinder your movement, and has decent protection and resistance.

A important thing to combat is to come prepared. Drinking water will help your stamina replenish faster, eating the gaberry tartuffe will do it some more, items with meat will allow you to replenish your health even while fighting. I usually carry meat stew for that purpose.

Best way I got money early game was crafting warm potions with a alchemy kit, water, and thick oil. Buy the merchant supply and make some for a decent profit.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

I was looking to be some kind of spellsword, though if magic turns out to be real good (its hard to tell right now) I thought of going full mage if it's possible.

Right now I'm in, I think, the blue sand armor and boots with a crown of some kind of mana reasons. I haven't been able to find many spells to learn, unfortunately.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Sankis posted:

I was looking to be some kind of spellsword, though if magic turns out to be real good (its hard to tell right now) I thought of going full mage if it's possible.

Right now I'm in, I think, the blue sand armor and boots with a crown of some kind of mana reasons. I haven't been able to find many spells to learn, unfortunately.

There is a guy past ghost pass that offers some wind spells. The spellsword trainer is in Cierzo. For a lot of enemies, blocking is better than dodging even without a shield. Circle strafe and blocking will get you through a lot of fights. Never overcommit unless their impact bar is below 50 percent. I usually only poke once after they use an attack. The Blue Sand armor is really good for tanking hits.

Also, don't be afraid to look out the outward Wiki for locations of things you might want. This is a game that basically wants you to plan a lot of stuff out so not having that information really hinders you.

Drizvolta
Oct 31, 2011

Sankis posted:

That said, I'm looking for some guidance. I'm at the phase where I feel like i've explored the hell out of the first Cheronese or w/e area but still generally get my rear end kicked unless I'm very, very, very careful. Is picking a faction meant to be more of a late game thing?

Picking a faction isn't a late game thing at all actually, I'm pretty sure the devs intended for you to go pick one, then take the time in between quests (after each faction quest they tell you to come back in a few days for your next job) to go get your next skill/spell. I would really advise you to make the journey to each of the other cities and look at their skill trainers. Berg's rune magic is the best magic hands down because it's so flexible, but you need to have access to all 4 runes, have a book in your offhand, and know the correct combos (or just look them up on the wiki, there's no shame in that).

If you're finding your money is going to food and healing potions and other consumables, it's very much worth the investment to learn how to cook/brew your own supplies, you'll need either an alchemy kit or a cooking pot over a campfire, and you'll need to either buy the recipe, or experiment to learn the right combo to make meals or potions that can help you in combat. (If you don't want to spend your silver you could always look the recipe up on the wiki too)

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

I think I burned myself out on this game hardcore by doing one of the main DLC quests. The game by itself isn't too bad, but the DLC has one "dungeon" that you can only get to by going through another dungeon and using the train and running a good chunk of time to get to if you need to replenish or whatever.

After spending quite a bit of time, the game gives the appearance of being somewhat deep but after a while you find that a lot of it is quite shallow. Like you will explore and find something cool and then it really is quite literally a single room with one enemy or something.

The game attempts to limit your comfort by not allowing you to buy houses not related to your specific faction until you beat a faction questline, but you can just buy backpacks to stash your stuff and a plant tent to sleep in and achieve something close to the same thing.

I guess the good news is that after I deal with most of this stuff on this character, I won't have to deal with a lot of it again since I can just pass on everything to the next character and there is no level system.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
Unless they fixed it the "pass things on" mechanic is jank as hell and just eats your stuff most of the time

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Nonexistence posted:

Unless they fixed it the "pass things on" mechanic is jank as hell and just eats your stuff most of the time

I was just going to load up another character and drop all my items in split screen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

onionradish
Jul 6, 2006

That's spicy.
Anybody play through and have opinions on the DLCs? Reviews on Steam seem pretty mixed.