Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Quote-Unquote posted:

No sex worker should have to deal with incels. They need serious, intensive therapy and/or being fired into the sun by a very powerful cannon.

I believe we came to the consensus some time ago that the correct method for dealing with incels is to chuck them into an active volcano.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Xenocides posted:

I believe we came to the consensus some time ago that the correct method for dealing with incels is to chuck them into an active volcano.

That should appease the gods somewhat.

Seriously though, a lot of those dudes are just victims of a ridiculous culture of toxic masculinity. They can be dug out of that poo poo if they get help before they get seriously radicalised and turn into Paul Joseph Watson or whatever.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Quote-Unquote posted:

No sex worker should have to deal with incels. They need serious, intensive therapy and/or being fired into the sun by a very powerful cannon.
Yeah to be clear I am not necessarily disagreeing with that.

Sex workers having tools that help them identify their clients and ensure their own safety will help deal with that. 'Cause right now they're already dealing with incels, and already at risk of being murdered by them.

quote:

They might not realize they’re going with the black market option is the point of that. You’re gonna have a bunch of options that seem legal, but actually aren’t, and the clients aren’t gonna scrutinize their sex selling license. There is already existing evidence of this exact thing happening, but you’re seemingly resigned to not trusting studies done on this because you think they exist solely to push a political narrative or such so I dunno what more you want.
I don't really understand what problem you're pointing at here though. Honestly I'm not too concerned about who has a license? I'm concerned about the sharing of information that actually helps both parties understand the safety of the interaction, and tons of people will absolutely use whatever methods are actually available and functional to make sure they're going somewhere that seems safe.

Like I also don't really care if my weed store is unlicensed if they have a long history of good customer dealings and safety. And they can pay some fines if they get busted for that.

Martman fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Apr 2, 2021

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I guess maybe you're connecting "black market" sex work to women being enslaved and stuff? When you just say "there are studies" I'm not really compelled to investigate that much because there are a ton of lovely studies that love to speak extremely vaguely about human trafficking in ways that push very strange narratives about what sex work is or could be. If women are given good options to be self-employed sex workers (or work for legitimate and safe agencies or whatever), I do not think that makes it easier for bad people to kidnap other women.

e: To be a little more clear, as far as I understand it, if a group of women get in a van together, drive to the next town over, and rent a couple hotel rooms to do some sex work, keep an eye on each other, share costs, help each other out, etc., they have just participated in human trafficking by most definitions.

Martman fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Apr 2, 2021

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Here's a review of a study that suggests legalizing prostitution leads to an increase in sex trafficking.

https://orgs.law.harvard.edu/lids/2014/06/12/does-legalized-prostitution-increase-human-trafficking/

Here's the definition of sex trafficking used in the report this study draws its trafficking data from. It doesn't include things like the above posted example.

United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC) - Trafficking in Persons: Global Patterns posted:

Trafficking in persons:
The recruitment, transportation, transfer, harbouring or receipt of persons, by means of the threat or use of force or other forms of coercion, of abduction, of fraud, of deception, of the abuse of power or of a position of vulnerability or of the giving or receiving of payments or benefits to achieve the consent of a person having control over another person, for the purpose of exploitation. Exploitation includes, at a minimum, the exploitation of the prostitution of others or other forms of sexual exploitation, forced labour or services, slavery or practices similar to slavery, servitude or the removal of organs.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Weka posted:

Here's a review of a study that suggests legalizing prostitution leads to an increase in sex trafficking.

https://orgs.law.harvard.edu/lids/2014/06/12/does-legalized-prostitution-increase-human-trafficking/

Here's the definition of sex trafficking used in the report this study draws its trafficking data from. It doesn't include things like the above posted example.

And the conclusion to that review

While trafficking inflows may be lower where prostitution is criminalized, there may be severe repercussions for those working in the industry. For example, criminalizing prostitution penalizes sex workers rather than the people who earn most of the profits (pimps and traffickers).

“The likely negative consequences of legalised prostitution on a country’s inflows of human trafficking might be seen to support those who argue in favour of banning prostitution, thereby reducing the flows of trafficking,” the researchers state. “However, such a line of argumentation overlooks potential benefits that the legalisation of prostitution might have on those employed in the industry. Working conditions could be substantially improved for prostitutes — at least those legally employed — if prostitution is legalised. Prohibiting prostitution also raises tricky ‘freedom of choice’ issues concerning both the potential suppliers and clients of prostitution services.”

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

if prostitution became legal everywhere would the amount of sex trafficking go up, down, or stay the same?

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Weka posted:

Are you completely sure? It's possible my example is literally only missing someone being considered the "boss" of that arrangement.

Recruiting + transporting people, by means of giving/receiving payments or benefits to receive consent, having "control" of that person for the purpose of "exploitation." Exploitation being satisfied by "at a minimum, the exploitation of the prostitution of others"

Control is left undefined, but for some reason the exploitation runs the entire gamut from "the prostitution of others" to literal "slavery." Kinda my whole point is that these things are written in a way that it's easy to skim over them and see "oh gently caress, slavery," but they just so happen to also include anyone working for someone else where that person gets some kind of benefit. e.g. working for any agency, or honestly I'm not even sure if paying for online advertising could be read to meet that.

Martman fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Apr 3, 2021

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

And just you know to not come off as insensitive or whatever, I understand slavery and coerced labor are absolutely real things. I'm just saying they're real things in every form of labor, but sex work is focused on in sensationalized ways dishonestly to avoid the politically scarier issue of women who may decide on their own that sex work is worth the money.

I'm sure children are being enslaved to work in restaurants and stuff, but nobody uses that to imply we should ban restaurants in the U.S.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
A few thousand years ago this tribe of people moved into the back end of the Mediterranean and killed everyone around them in the name of their religion until being brutally owned by the romans but unfortunately they came up with a few offshoot cults and their poo poo got popular enough to spread their particular brand of stick-in-the-assness around the world and that's why a shitload of cool fun things like hookers and drugs are illegal.

vudan
Dec 11, 2010
There are convicted sex traffickers forming lobby groups to advise on decriminalizing sex work so they can continue to pimp and exploit women. I think this issue is often oversimplified.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

vudan posted:

There are convicted sex traffickers forming lobby groups to advise on decriminalizing sex work so they can continue to pimp and exploit women. I think this issue is often oversimplified.

ban wage labor problem solved

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Nuts and Gum posted:

Legalization means accessibility, and every Christian wife knows her husband is sprinting to the gently caress barn (name pending) the second it opens. No way it could ever be voted in.

Use this handy loop hole and call it "The Prayer Room"

https://www.breitbart.com/asia/2021/03/24/reports-australian-lawmakers-used-parliament-prayer-room-lot-sex/

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

cool breitbart link

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Martman posted:

cool breitbart link

Not sure what the situiation is with breitbart, it was just the first link I grabbed that had the story I was looking for.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

They are extremely bad sorry lol not trying to be a jerk but yeah

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
sex work shouldn't be encouraged but should deffo be legal since it decreases rape and other criminal cases of sexual violence ( https://journalistsresource.org/politics-and-government/legal-prostitution-reduce-rape-holland/ )

why its illegal is complicated but it mostly has to do with THE PATRIARCHY and a specific culture's concepts of bride wealth/price

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
It really just seems like all of this is a no-win situation.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
if you'd seen me cum you'd want to make it illegal too

I am Toni Lippi
Aug 16, 2004
I constantly tell the women I work with that if prostitution were legal I would morally and financially support their decision to be a sex worker. I bemoan to them that this avenue is not an option and find it to be sexist and rooted in bigotry.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

wtf does this have to do with prostitution?

Australian sex laws are determined by the state. In my state you can be a prostitute as long as you work at a licensed brothel and the brothel has to follow various regulations. Other states forbid brothels but allow private sex work. But of course enforcement of certain laws are up in the air.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
Ah, what lovely morning! I think i'm gonna prostitute myself today.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
Legal sex workers wouldn’t have sex with incels because they can be selective about their clientele and are allowed to say no to gross smelly weirdos.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Martman posted:

I think in a larger sense it's frustrating to treat demand for "sex work" as some specific thing that's divorced from demand for sex. I am very skeptical that changing the legal status of sex work changes the actual underlying demand for sex itself, so then you have to get into the question of like... well ok if they're not getting it from sex work, are we saying that demand should just be left unmet? And isn't it weird how insane groups of men who feel like they will never get to have the sex they want are some of the most dangerous terrorists in the U.S.?

sure, crazy dudes like to go on shooting sprees because they feel entitled to sex, but have you considered that maybe they're actually right? :hmmyes:

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
it's pretty telling that in John 8:11 Jesus explicitly declines to condemn a prostitute

and then was tortured to death by the era equivilent of a state-run brownshirt battalion :allears:

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Cabbages and Kings posted:

it's pretty telling that in John 8:11 Jesus explicitly declines to condemn a prostitute

he also tells her to stop being a prostitute though, so maybe not the best example

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Straight White Shark posted:

sure, crazy dudes like to go on shooting sprees because they feel entitled to sex, but have you considered that maybe they're actually right? :hmmyes:
legally protected sex workers are more able to be selective about their clientele than ones who operate in a black market

incels are not entitled to sex, but sex workers should be entitled to choose to make money from someone they deem safe enough to interact with

our culture needs to change many things about the ways we demonize women, their sexuality, and their freedom to make money, and this is just one piece of that

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Step 1: free money for everyone
Step 2: castrate all straight men
:shrug:

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
prostitution is and should be illegal because sex is gross

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Cabbages and Kings posted:

and then was tortured to death by the era equivilent of a state-run brownshirt battalion :allears:

Maybe she was a prostitute but the text doesn’t say that. It just says she was committing adultery. More telling is where was the guy since even the chauvinist interpretation of Mosaic Law said you had to stone both.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Martman posted:

legally protected sex workers are more able to be selective about their clientele than ones who operate in a black market

which is great and all, except that as mentioned above legalization does gently caress all to end the black market and probably makes it worse.

it's a complicated issue and legalization is not a silver bullet. as someone upthread mentioned, the real solution is probably more along the lines of a robust welfare state; the harder it is to coerce women financially, the less likely they are to become victims of sex trafficking. the legal status of prostitution has a lot less impact on the safety and wellbeing of women by comparison.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

If you create means for it to be done more safely, those can be used by anyone. Increasing the amount of sex work, even if it's unlicensed, isn't the same as increasing the amount of danger

So I should be more careful in my language, I admit. I didn't mean that all black market sex work is equivalent in terms of risk, and I believe even illegal sex work can be made safer by legalization.

Martman fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Apr 3, 2021

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

*falls through a false wall in an obvious mistake, like a terrible mis timed pratfall during community theater*

IT IS... BECAUSE...Even illicit women must be protected from... YOUR GENITALS original poster!

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Martman posted:

If you create means for it to be done more safely, those can be used by anyone.

hmm yes I definitely can't think of any reasons why a trafficked woman would not be able to avail themselves of the legal protection of the police

pack it in everyone, we've solved sex trafficking. another successful goon project.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Big Beef City posted:

*falls through a false wall in an obvious mistake, like a terrible mis timed pratfall during community theater*

IT IS... BECAUSE...Even illicit women must be protected from... YOUR GENITALS original poster!

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

GORDON posted:

Fluid exchange is tops, tho.

I just puked in my own mouth

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

Sjs00 posted:

I just puked in my own mouth

Better share it with everyone else, bud. Fluid exchange!

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
What kind of upcharge should I anticipate when asking if I can use my Balldo? 10%, 20%?

CheeseThief
Dec 28, 2012

Two wholesome boys to brighten your day

Chief McHeath posted:

What kind of upcharge should I anticipate when asking if I can use my Balldo? 10%, 20%?

I'll give you a discount if you let me use it after you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Practicing Hypnolaw since 1990
Grimey Drawer

Straight White Shark posted:

hmm yes I definitely can't think of any reasons why a trafficked woman would not be able to avail themselves of the legal protection of the police

Well at least the worry of their own prosecution would be removed, so wouldn’t that be a positive step??