Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Methanar posted:

You should know better than to generalize millions of people based off of your weird mental caricature.

grow up

I'm pretty sure that's what you're doing with the whole wholesome, true American thing cuz your definition is a caricature of 1950's TV shows that never existed anywhere

I am sure the south will be incredibly welcoming to a passive-aggressive Canadian, though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Methanar posted:

You should know better than to generalize millions of people based off of your weird mental caricature.

grow up

Lmao Tennessee is nearly dead last in health outcomes and education. The state is currently under fire from doctors who have to weigh up letting women die on the table or face prosecution.

Crime is high as hell. The state is actively hostile towards black and mixed race people.

Leave it to beaverville it ain't.

But of course, most people in ITT know you don't give a gently caress about any of that so long as you can get better internet and low taxes.

stranger danger
May 24, 2006

Methanar posted:

im thinking i should move somewhere closer to chicago to help with my professional video games career. I think its the lag holding me back.

pro gamers come from all around the country, it's probably not the lag that's holding you back

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

quote:

Tennessee's crime rate of 672.7 per 100,000 is the fourth-highest in the country. According to the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation (TBI) increase in property, crimes were driven by the number of reported burglaries in Memphis and Shelby County. Memphis saw an increase of 23 percent while the county as a whole saw an increase of nearly 12 percent. The number of reported motor vehicle thefts (carjackings) in Memphis increased by nearly 13 percent and 11 percent in Shelby County.

okay wtf

actually nvm thats tied with portland lol.

Methanar fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Mar 20, 2023

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
OP, Toledo Ohio is often called The Paris of The Midwest. You should move there, sight unseen. I'll even go with you to a Mudhens game, but someone's gotta drive me cuz I plan on getting blackout drunk

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Methanar posted:

okay wtf

actually nvm thats tied with portland lol.

Yeah but the difference is that the majority of crimes in Portland is vagrancy and bike theft, in Tennessee it's shootings and break-ins lmao

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/51/Violent_Crime_Rate_by_U.S._state.svg

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

bagmonkey posted:

OP, Toledo Ohio is often called The Paris of The Midwest. You should move there, sight unseen. I'll even go with you to a Mudhens game, but someone's gotta drive me cuz I plan on getting blackout drunk

Let's move to Chinese Paris instead with its breathtaking vistas

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
Ironically there is actually a Paris in Tennessee

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
12 years ago I moved to Knoxville from Michigan

The price of my house doubled over the last 4 years, so you maybe should have done this 4 years ago like I did. (Still cheap to a Californian, one moved next door at the peak of the boom)

East Tennessee is pretty, mountains are cool.
The traffic is way worse than it has to be, I blame old people mostly (retirees also like no state income tax) but a lot of others seem baffled by concepts like, passing lane, roundabout, 3 way stop and on ramps! (Seriously so many people merge onto 70mph traffic at 40 or less)

Plenty of people also go 15 under with a line of 30 cars behind them and nowhere to pass.

Some of the worst allergies in the country in Knoxville, I did not have them until I moved here. One year pollen was 3/16 of an inch or more on my car in one day.

Everyone seems big into sports and I am not, I've honestly not met many video gamers.

I met my wife here, she doesn't want to move and it's grown on me, but most people and laws here are a bit behind the times.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I’m just gonna wait for 10.5nessee to come out. :shrug:

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

"You're the only 10 I see!" :mmmsmug:

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
"Why don't you just make tennessee better"
"These go to eleven-nessee"

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

The price of my house doubled over the last 4 years, so you maybe should have done this 4 years ago like I did. (Still cheap to a Californian, one moved next door at the peak of the boom)

Yeah :/ I missed out.

I bought a house in 2016 in the one place in north america where house prices have declined. that's like 250k+ in wasted opportunity costs lol

I definitely should have moved to the US when I had my first chance. I crippled myself staying in Canada because I was scared and didn't know any better.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Go back to Canada, there's racist poo poo holes there too

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

I live in Tennessee, it’s a fact that it’s hard to spell!

Tennessee gets better as you go east, Memphis is a shithole, Nashville I hear is nice but touristy and expensive. I live near Chattanooga and I have awesome internet. I’m from the Midwest, and Tennessee is the least culturally different from that. Not impressed by schools or hospitals, but food is decent. Also this may shock someone from California or ny but someone in my neighborhood has a rainbow flag and no one’s burnt down their house.

Good Tennessee joke:

Why do the volunteers wear orange?

They can play football Friday night, go hunting Saturday, and pick up trash on the side of the highway serving community service on Sunday.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

wow these flights suck

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Tnuctip posted:

I live in Tennessee, it’s a fact that it’s hard to spell!

Tennessee gets better as you go east, Memphis is a shithole, Nashville I hear is nice but touristy and expensive. I live near Chattanooga and I have awesome internet. I’m from the Midwest, and Tennessee is the least culturally different from that. Not impressed by schools or hospitals, but food is decent. Also this may shock someone from California or ny but someone in my neighborhood has a rainbow flag and no one’s burnt down their house.

Good Tennessee joke:

Why do the volunteers wear orange?

They can play football Friday night, go hunting Saturday, and pick up trash on the side of the highway serving community service on Sunday.

hey thanks for the local positive opinion.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Knoxville is fine

Happyimp
Sep 26, 2007

I exist I guess.
If there is any goths in Memphis, come to the black lodge Saturday. We are really welcoming.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Methanar posted:

wow these flights suck

Yeah seriously, you should get way more CO2 on your flight for those prices.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Dixville posted:

Ironically there is actually a Paris in Tennessee

Gay, Paree, Tennessee.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Move to Florida op

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
gently caress that poo poo, Florida is too commie-libcuck.

Move to Alabama or Mississippi.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
OP can you check in once every 2-3 days once you move there so we can keep track of your progress thanks :) :) :)

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

(Seriously so many people merge onto 70mph traffic at 40 or less)

Plenty of people also go 15 under with a line of 30 cars behind them and nowhere to pass.

As someone who drives literally all day every day for work, this is so wrong

You should never in general complain about people going too slow unless it is dangerous. Not everyone knows exactly where they're going and it should ALWAYS be an option to go slow. There are so many times every day where people are going 70 in every highway lane, when the speed limit is 55. If someone wants to go THE SPEED LIMIT, they shouldn't have people behind them and passing on the right and being actually, you know, dangerous

Like I get it, everyone is in a hurry, but traffic has gotten so insane since covid started, it's awful. I see bad wrecks every single day now

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

precision posted:

As someone who drives literally all day every day for work, this is so wrong

You should never in general complain about people going too slow unless it is dangerous. Not everyone knows exactly where they're going and it should ALWAYS be an option to go slow. There are so many times every day where people are going 70 in every highway lane, when the speed limit is 55. If someone wants to go THE SPEED LIMIT, they shouldn't have people behind them and passing on the right and being actually, you know, dangerous

Like I get it, everyone is in a hurry, but traffic has gotten so insane since covid started, it's awful. I see bad wrecks every single day now

I would also like to add my anecdotal experience, California drivers are so much worse than TN drivers. They run red lights constantly, pass me on the right all the time, and they can't drive in the loving rain. The rain!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Dixville posted:

I would also like to add my anecdotal experience, California drivers are so much worse than TN drivers. They run red lights constantly, pass me on the right all the time, and they can't drive in the loving rain. The rain!

Dude, I'm in Vegas and the "can't drive in the rain" thing is killing me. It's just water!!!

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
NC drivers drive in the ditch over a centimeter of snow

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
It happened on my morning commute this morning (again) and it can be dangerous. These people are not attempting to merge with the existing flow of traffic.

Of course it's people's right to go slow with 30 cars behind them and no passing opportunities for many miles, I was just pointing out that it's quite common in east Tennessee.

They came out with a slow poke law because it's so common for people unilaterally causing backups by not respecting passing lanes, but I've never seen it enforced.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Oh don't get me wrong I'm just saying people driving bad is definitely not just people driving slow

I've been in 2 accidents in 2 years that weren't my fault, prior to this I had been in 1 accident that wasn't my fault in 20 years lol

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

bagmonkey posted:

OP can you check in once every 2-3 days once you move there so we can keep track of your progress thanks :) :) :)

maybe occasionally post an ADP paystub to let us know how much money it takes to buy misery

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Toxic Mental posted:

You gotta be trolling right

he's really, really loving stupid

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

precision posted:

Dude, I'm in Vegas and the "can't drive in the rain" thing is killing me. It's just water!!!

Rain in the Southwest (I’m in Phoenix) is equivalent to snow in the Southeast US - everyone flips the gently caress out and absolutely loses their minds, it’s absolute chaos.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Dixville posted:

That's been my experience when I've visited CA. Probably 1 out of every 20 drivers was in full on suicide mode. Running reds, weaving in and out of traffic refusing to ever break, tailing anyone driving at the speed of traffic, etc.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i have experienced all kinds of roads in almost every state of the US and imo the worst drivers are in Ohio and in the Tampa region of Florida

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Mar 21, 2023

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Dixville posted:

Something about living in california just makes you value human life less.

I wonder what it is

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
It's probably their lack of traditional values and fences OP!!

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Methanar posted:

I wonder what it is

It’s their culture of death and free love

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Methanar posted:

I wonder what it is

Californians aren't religious enough *angrily stares at all the Mexican Catholics in California*

respond to that Methanar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Yeah, why do you guys always have to be so negative about places also California just doesn't care about human life