Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
oh gently caress oh jesus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Sometimes I wonder if Makima is Kreia from Kotor in disguise. Or Gaunter O'Dimm.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Gotta say, I appreciate how Fujimoto has... just gone and taken the most extreme hypothetical examples for Makima discussion and gone full tilt.

On the one end, yes. People will take a full chapter of Makima playing with adorable dogs and assume there's some secret evil motive, and there's no way she just loves giving her adorable Custard belly skritches.

On the other, people will defend her when she murders the most popular character in the manga, on panel, in cold blood.

In conclusion, Makima is a land of contrasts.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010
In this week's speedscans, it becomes apparent the ongoing moral of the story is 'gently caress Opening Doors '

https://imgur.com/a/HL5eIce

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

JamMasterJim posted:

In this week's speedscans, it becomes apparent the ongoing moral of the story is 'gently caress Opening Doors '

That didn't happen. You sir are trying to fool me. :colbert: Shame on you.

Denji's evolution into an actual character is fascinating though. Even if this isn't real.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

:negative:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

JamMasterJim posted:

And here Makima gives Denji another valuable life lesson.

You let someone else make all your choices for you, you're going to regret it.

Murdering a subordinate is a small price for such a good teaching opportunity.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I demand a rebranding of the future devil to liar devil because this future blows man

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Wait so how did Denji predict that Power was holding a birthday cake? Of course we know that Makima could have just mind controlled her into getting a cake, but with the kind of person Power there is no way that Denji should have expected her having that. I'm starting to think (hope) that there is something more going on here..

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

I demand a rebranding of the future devil to liar devil because this future blows man

...Might not be as bad as it seems now.

Aki saw Power slaughtered by Denji.

That didn't happen here, did it? And even if you take that as a translation error, if Aki saw what happened here, he'd hardly go to Makima to try to save Power.

Something else might be going on here.

Remember what Angel told Aki back in the restaurant?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Reading this comic is being constantly on edge.

Also this is the worst

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

JamMasterJim posted:

Jesus Freaking Christ :eyepop:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Angry Lobster posted:

Jesus Freaking Christ :eyepop:

Just the opposite, I'm afraid.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

chiasaur11 posted:

Just the opposite, I'm afraid.

This manga is literally killing me bit by bit.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Angry Lobster posted:

This manga is literally killing me bit by bit.

A contract with the Comic Devil, eh?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
lol the painting.

Jorenko
Jun 6, 2004

I think you're just mad 'cause you're single.

Sindai posted:

lol the painting.

Wow, that's an interesting touch. Presumably Makima identifies with Lucifer to some extent. Who is the big bad Authority she's rebelling against?

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Latest chapter speedscan stuff

i uh...actually feel kind of sick. which is a pretty visceral and unexpected reaction for me. To be sure, i react emotionally very strongly to stories all the time, but actual nausea? that's disconcerting.

maybe it's just well, everything

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

I Hate Makima So Much

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
after 20+ years there's finally another contender for the 'biggest emotional gut punch through use of finger gun + saying bang scene in japanese media' award

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Just cover me in chainsaws.:smith:

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

Shinjobi posted:

Just cover me in chainsaws.:smith:

If you insist

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Please give me a slice of life Monster of the Week spinoff after this. I... I just need it okay? :smith:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
remembered how this was described as evil FLCL and i totally heard the Brittle Bullet trigger-cock sound several times throughout this chapter

won't you crush this melancholy world

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
What if Makima's plan is to push denji to open the door to chainsaw devil? Maybe she's trying to release the chainsaw devil into the world at full strength, so he can kill the rest of the devils out of the earth?

What if I'm just making up bullshit because I hate what just happened?

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
M-maybe she'll be ok

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I'm holding out hope this is some kind of mind power and Denji's still in the park but this comic has no chill so it's probably real :(

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
Maybe Makima wants Denji to be a well rounded person who isn't reliant on people. So she kills off his attachments that he had while growing as a person so that he can become a better person. Yeah... that's what is happening....

Hamelekim fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Aug 21, 2020

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Anyway

It was really sweet of her to bring a cake, I hope they all have a nice time eating it and scritching all the dogs' ears

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Makima bad folks.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

The future can suck a dog's dick.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Jerkface posted:

Good news, now that you've read it has become the past!

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

Jerkface posted:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Hamelekim posted:

Maybe Makima wants Denji to be a well rounded person who isn't reliant on people. So she kills off his attachments that he had while growing as a person so that he can become a better person. Yeah... that's what is happening....

Somehow, I doubt.

But I don't think this is to directly control Denji, either. Makima's good at manipulating people. It's one of her basic traits, and that includes Denji. Brutally murdering Power in front of him? That's terrible for getting him to stay a loyal dog... and excellent for teaching a lesson about personal responsibility.

And that's something of a constant theme for Makima. We talk about ignorance being bliss in Chainsaw Man, but Makima's the usual counterpoint. She continually drags Denji into new experiences, makes him work through his own thoughts, tells him that knowing about the person you love makes sex better, tells him that new experiences are the way to get past old ones.

Makima also brings up the Country Mouse to the opposite effect as Reze, discussing how she finds comfort in killing the country mouse, showing that ignorance might bring happiness, but it won't provide safety.

Makima and Haruko do feel cut from the same cloth. And Haruko wasn't the main villain, exactly. She actually worked for the Galactic Space Patrol Brotherhood, the guys trying to stop the evil Medical Mechanica.

It's just that Haruko was also running a side hustle that could lead to the extinction of humanity, and she'd do just about anything for her own ends. Important bit there, though? Even when Naota fought her, he still loved her, and wouldn't finish her off. Haruko's definitely not a hero, but she's complicated as a villain, and I doubt Makima's going to be simpler.

(That's the main reason I'll fight anyone who says Prog is worse than Alt. Whatever Prog's sins, at least it remembers that Haruko's a villain, and that's why she's interesting. Alternative's Haruko is just a wacky sidekick. A defanged Haruko is an unforgivable sin.)

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Aug 22, 2020

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Denji needs go go back to Hell, and reunite with the reborn Blood Devil. She won't have her memories, but maybe they can become siblings once more.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Elfface posted:

Denji needs go go back to Hell, and reunite with the reborn Blood Devil. She won't have her memories, but maybe they can become siblings once more.

I actually think that's plausible.

Denji's supposed to kill power, not just allow her to be killed. And we know how Devils get back to Earth, right?

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

denji needs to put his blood in power's head and bring her back to life!!!

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

chiasaur11 posted:

But I don't think this is to control Denji, either.
This is grooming. She is building Denji into her ideal, which doesn't necessarily mean she wants him to be her literal dog. "Do what I say" is not the end all, be all of control and manipulation.

Ignoring the viscera, ultimately Makima and Denji's whole dynamic so far has been about abusive sub/Dom relations and it looks like it's building up to Denji realizing it is time to start working to remove himself from Makima.

I am genuinely really upset about that last chapter and I hope Fujimoto knows what he's doing and not just being flippant about this. I can't say I have total faith with how Fire Punch ultimately came together in the end pretty unsatisfyingly to me.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The only question I really have left about Makima is what drives her. Is she like all the other devils who're driven by the nature of the fear they embody, or does she have a more constructed endgame/plan? Is she a dog chasing cars (just dominating because that's what she does), or is she more actualized and her goal has more to it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Fabricated posted:

The only question I really have left about Makima is what drives her. Is she like all the other devils who're driven by the nature of the fear they embody, or does she have a more constructed endgame/plan? Is she a dog chasing cars (just dominating because that's what she does), or is she more actualized and her goal has more to it?

Angel just wanted to live a peaceful life, Power found that blood is nice inside things too, Poochita gave his life for Denji's dreams... we've seen plenty of devils be more than just an engine to spread their brand of fear. And since Makima's unusually human looking, it's probably an endgame with a place for humanity... even if it's not a place humans would want for themselves. (If we're talking SMT, law ending looks more likely than chaos).

The thing that's really been interesting for me in the last couple of chapters is the emphasis on Makima's inhumanity. It's been easy to think of her motives so far as "good person" versus "bad person", but her talk about Aki's death hasn't felt like a person at all, with a shallowness that ties into how she's been all along.

It's not like she wants to kill off her people. She even seems outright vengeful when it comes to Quanxi. But when they die... well, these things happen. The goal was achieved, so it's fine. Play with the dogs a little, move on.

It fits with Power, too. What she wants, judging by her interactions with Denji dating back to the first chapter, seems to be an equal. A Denji who can disagree with her, work towards different agendas, even defy her, but who still likes her at the end of the day. A Denji that's just a dog isn't the same.

So... when he asks for that? Well! Obviously a lesson is in order. He'll get over it quickly enough, but he'll remember that when he lets other people make all his decisions.

Again, Makima likes when Denji defies her. She's been responsible, directly or indirectly, for creating or allowing most of the circumstances where he thinks about things beyond "I like Makima and also having enough food."

It's an incredibly hosed up dynamic, but it also feels like there's a real affection being filtered through her nature, a monster that spent too long playing human to quite fit anywhere.

Again, Haruko and Naota is probably the reference point here. And that's a very rich vein of dysfunction and manipulation.