Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
I've been working on trying to swing more into out and it hurts my back when I wake up the next morning. Bummer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
3 wood off the deck, 190-200 (metre) carry with 10m of roll depending on how high I hit it

Driver off tee, 200-215 carry with a bit more roll

Golf sucks yo, I cannot work my driver out

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Those distances are pretty in line with where you'd expect them to be.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

For some reason I’m really suited to swinging golf clubs fast despite being a chubby 40 year old dude. Now if only they’d go that straight more often.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Yeah, I dropped distance to gain what I think of as "effective distance" by first, just hitting 3w off the tee, then my 5w with a 3w shaft, because my driver was capable of much longer distance, but far less accurate.

The Taylormade mini burner is my compromise. The last mini driver stayed in the bag for a few years and I'm hoping this one does the same.

But I'll tell you, looking at that smaller head, on a shorter shaft, the urge to swing out of my loving shoes literally requires a mantra as my swing routine.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

daslog posted:

I've been working on trying to swing more into out and it hurts my back when I wake up the next morning. Bummer

What I've found that works for me is

1. Set up the the ball like this ----------- O Target

2. Move my feet and shoulders like this / (I'm left-handed) without moving the club face but letting it rotate in your grip very slightly to stay in line (not as exaggerated, but you get the idea, maybe 5-10? degrees)

3. Pick a target that seems in line with where my feet and shoulders are pointing

4. This is the hard part: You've got to really, I mean really, try to hit your ball at the new target. I don't mean like, oh, I'll swing parallel with that new target. I mean you gotta with your entire soul say, "I'm gonna hit that loving tree with this ball" You've got to convince yourself that IS YOUR NEW TARGET

5. The ball will not hit the tree (if you released). For me it flies almost perfectly straight, maybe a slight draw. They you do mental Kung Fu and think, yep, just like I planned it

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

SquirrelGrip posted:

3 wood off the deck, 190-200 (metre) carry with 10m of roll depending on how high I hit it

Driver off tee, 200-215 carry with a bit more roll

Golf sucks yo, I cannot work my driver out

Could be a club fitting issue, I was getting similar yardages until I went from 10.5 to 9 degrees on the driver (and have since turned it down to 8)
Do you know your angle of attack and spin numbers?

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
got a plastic wrapped mizuno stx-220 4 hybrid from japan for 70 with shipping included. When you can't hit far the solution is to buy longer clubs (that you can't use) right? Going from my experience with the 4H at the sim, they're a lot easier to hit than a 5i so I might be good enough for them now. Next step is a driver when I feel ready

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

xsf421 posted:

For some reason I’m really suited to swinging golf clubs fast despite being a chubby 40 year old dude. Now if only they’d go that straight more often.

I'm convinced that for the average dude with imperfect technique that being a chub gives you a bit of extra oomph in the swing to muscle through problems and better balance due to lower centre of gravity (up to a point).

Still better to be fit and healthy and git gud tho.

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007
Wew lad, had a Lesson yesterday, went really well, right knee felt a little weird at the end, but i was like meh whatever.

Get home, move my body a little, and my knee feels weird again, uh oh. no real pain, but something doesn't feel right. Took my dogs on a walk, and i felt fine. wake up this morning? still no pain, but again, move my leg and there's some tortion, and no pain really, but a click/pop above my right knee on the outside and it just doesn't feel right.

I swear to god if i tore something randomly during my lesson with zero pain i'm gonna be hella pissed.

I go to Cancun in 3 weeks and i have tee times to play El Tinto, and El Camaleon Golf Club which is the Mayakoba LIV course.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Carth Dookie posted:

I'm convinced that for the average dude with imperfect technique that being a chub gives you a bit of extra oomph in the swing to muscle through problems and better balance due to lower centre of gravity (up to a point).

Still better to be fit and healthy and git gud tho.

I’m a former ice hockey player with great balance and body control, so lessons have been super effective for me. I can usually get heads to turn at the range when I start full swinging because it sounds so different than everyone else.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

xsf421 posted:

I’m a former ice hockey player with great balance and body control, so lessons have been super effective for me. I can usually get heads to turn at the range when I start full swinging because it sounds so different than everyone else.

Have you had to adjust for anything with a hockey background?

I feel like the push-pull and back to front weight transfer of a wrist shot make for a delayed release and a weird follow through in a golf swing. (This could also be because I bat & throw left, shoot right, and golf right).

I have not found hockey to translate well to golf yet :smith:

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

waffle enthusiast posted:

I feel like the push-pull and back to front weight transfer of a wrist shot make for a delayed release and a weird follow through in a golf swing. (This could also be because I bat & throw left, shoot right, and golf right).

I was a very bad (bottom of adult D league) defenseman, because I could skate backwards and hit slapshots. I definitely had to adjust my release, I used to hold the face wide open, and that's still my miss with driver. The weight transfer and using ground force has translated super well for me, though. I was hitting driver 260-270 carry (80 yards right) in my first year.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Serious question, have you ever tried golfing left handed? It may lend better to your handedness profile.

I'm like the opposite of you, RH in everything except hockey, and I experimented with golfing on the same side. While there were some benefits (I putt LH permanently now and will never go back), I struggled with putting power down without being wildly out of control.

shyduck fucked around with this message at 18:13 on May 17, 2024

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

shyduck posted:

Serious question, have you ever tried golfing left handed? It may lend better to your handedness profile.

I actually borrowed some clubs at the range a couple of days ago and tried hitting a handful of balls left-handed. It felt super weird, and I absolutely could not make reasonable contact with the ball. Topped everything. It absolutely didn’t feel like swinging a baseball bat.

I imagine if I put a year into going left-handed, I might come away with more power. But I think I would still be a hot mess for quite a while.

edit:

Just wrapped up another lesson. My problem is almost exclusively my club face and contact location on the face (changing my name to Hosel Enthusiast). I can develop an inside-out path, and drop the club somewhat into the slot with intentionality. But my club face is frequently open 10° or more. It feels soooooo weird rolling my wrists over far enough to get a neutral club face.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 19:37 on May 17, 2024

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

https://twitter.com/JeffDarlington/status/1791428598080938492?t=r4rc7LJ2P7b5byfjJu0msg&s=09

Wtf???

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

I actually borrowed some clubs at the range a couple of days ago and tried hitting a handful of balls left-handed. It felt super weird, and I absolutely could not make reasonable contact with the ball. Topped everything. It absolutely didn’t feel like swinging a baseball bat.

I imagine if I put a year into going left-handed, I might come away with more power. But I think I would still be a hot mess for quite a while.

edit:

Just wrapped up another lesson. My problem is almost exclusively my club face and contact location on the face (changing my name to Hosel Enthusiast). I can develop an inside-out path, and drop the club somewhat into the slot with intentionality. But my club face is frequently open 10° or more. It feels soooooo weird rolling my wrists over far enough to get a neutral club face.

I'm currently dealing with the exact same issue but I'm having a bit of success trying some things out (which I wont tell because it will mess up your mind). I think my main issue now is that as my swing form got a lot loose, better and wider with fully stretched out arms all the way, I'm having trouble keeping up with my new club speed (especially my right arm) and so my release is happening a lot later than it should be. After a few practice sessions, my club went from almost fully open to around 5-10 degrees. Lemme know how that goes!

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Scottie driving full speed to Valhalla like in Thelma and Louise

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Painfully slow round today in a course normally good about enforcing pace. Four ball in front of us, three dudes playing from the tips. While annoying, I get great pleasure out of watching guys (who literally told us on the third tee box that they had to wait so long because they hit the ball so far) spend so much time in the tall secondary rough.

My thought was, they could hit immediately if the group in front of them was in the fairway, because they never hit it. They could not have honestly broken 90. They were also very serious about putting. Very serious, but not good.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
one of my best moments on the golf course was when someone said "you can hit" when I was on the teebox and I said I could hit that far so I had to wait. Then I striped it 20~ yards past where they were.

Really makes up for the several hundred other times where I've looped one out of bounds instead

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

I know golf has a habit of smacking you round the face when you’re feeling confident with something; but I’m pretty :smugdon: with my short game, which is on par with a 10 handicapper.

Just a shame the rest of it drags me down.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

WorldIndustries posted:

Could be a club fitting issue, I was getting similar yardages until I went from 10.5 to 9 degrees on the driver (and have since turned it down to 8)
Do you know your angle of attack and spin numbers?

Negative, but I’m pretty sure I’m coming down and spinning it too much

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

I’ve got a dilemma.

I played golf on Friday night, and my wife had to put the kids to bed - and there was drama and the kids were uncooperative.

I’ve got a lesson on Monday night; and have a tee time for tomorrow morning.

I’m torn; I *should* cancel my tee time and be around to help with the kids in the morning. But, on the other hand. Golf.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Oodles posted:

I’ve got a dilemma.

I played golf on Friday night, and my wife had to put the kids to bed - and there was drama and the kids were uncooperative.

I’ve got a lesson on Monday night; and have a tee time for tomorrow morning.

I’m torn; I *should* cancel my tee time and be around to help with the kids in the morning. But, on the other hand. Golf.

Narcissist answer? Golf.

Real dad talk? Talk to your wife. Kids will have those types of days all the time, and while it’s awesome you’re having this dilemma (I’ve had it as well), making time for yourself is very important. Just make sure she gets equal time for herself. Balance my friend.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Douchebag posted:

Just make sure she gets equal time for herself. Balance my friend.

Without getting all e/n; she’s not really got hobbies. So it makes it all the more awkward when I go out for a couple of hours of golf. I want her to have something she’s passionate about, but she’s not as obsessive as I am when I find something I enjoy.

I mean, I’ll be teeing off at 6 AM and should be home by 9.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
just like injury recovery, give yourself some time off before you have to take off a lot longer or the sessions become less enjoyable for a long time. if she appreciates the gesture then it was a good move, if not you know how to make your decisions in the future

Floofy
Jan 17, 2004
Living in Canada, I didn’t do anything all winter in order to be able to get to golf every other weekend and not feel guilty about leaving the wife to deal with the rug rats.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
Huh, so weird that we have the same wife

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Went to the range and got a large bucket of balls, it was wet as hell but for some reason they had us hitting from grass and not mats, decided to practice my tee shots.

1. My injury is so much better, after the whole bucket I barely feel any sensitivity where it was. (Physical) therapy works.

2. I've gotten some consistency, that consistency is a block or a fade (I'd say its not a slice anymore, except for driver) but is almost linear in its progression as my clubs get longer, it gets worse.

3. I've got an actual functional 5 iron shot now, which is nice.

4. Still trying to make something work in the 7w/4h/4i slot and nothing is.

I think this is mostly due to getting the clubface closed, I'm setting up with a very strong grip (my instructor had me back off my address shaft lean as it was extreme), and I'm trying to close the face on the backswing, but I'm still ending up open at impact. My swing plane is mostly in to out or neutral, but I just can't seem to close the drat face on longer clubs. Now when I get to 7i and shorter, I can get the face closes and those I align to straight, and my miss goes from a slight block with the seven all the way to a hook with the pitching wedge.

Anyone got any ideas, drills, or even training aids? Was thinking Watson Hanger but open to suggestions.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I had luck with training hitting with the trailing right hand open, only touching the club with your palm. that reflects the position of the club face and helps against both early and late release, I just try to slap the ball if that makes sense. one handed chipping with each arm also gave me a few ideas but it's hell on my elbows

edit: I mean you have an instructor, I assume you haven't got to that lesson just yet but you could see what they think about it

nerdz fucked around with this message at 00:45 on May 19, 2024

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Oodles posted:

Without getting all e/n; she’s not really got hobbies. So it makes it all the more awkward when I go out for a couple of hours of golf. I want her to have something she’s passionate about, but she’s not as obsessive as I am when I find something I enjoy.

I mean, I’ll be teeing off at 6 AM and should be home by 9.

Yeah man I’ve been there too, almost same situation. We found ways to balance it out. Mine didn’t have many hobbies either but she liked spa days and poo poo like that so I’d set up days for her to enjoy that.

Or just buy her clubs. LOL.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Douchebag posted:

Yeah man I’ve been there too, almost same situation. We found ways to balance it out. Mine didn’t have many hobbies either but she liked spa days and poo poo like that so I’d set up days for her to enjoy that.

Both

Rogue Elephant
May 1, 2007

Douchebag posted:

My mom once told me a story (when I was real little, like 7 years old or something) about before I was born and she thought maybe she'd get into golf since my dad was so into it. So he says yeah, ok, but we should go to a range to teach you to hit before going on an actual course. So they go, and it's all fine. Then it starts to drizzle, then rain, but they keep at it. Then it starts to properly downpour and my mom goes under cover and is watching my dad continue to hit. Then it starts to loving HAIL and he's still out there, and my mom is yelling at him to come in, but he says something like 'this is all part of the game!' My mom swore to never golf again.

She told me this story to tell me how crazy she thought my dad was.

Then when I thought about the story like 10 years later I realized that my father, who was A Dad way before he was actually a father, never went more than like 3 hours without checking the weather channel. He knew exactly what he was doing, what was going to happen, and when. And that's when I realized he was a secret genius. He just wanted his saturday mornings with the boys.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

I'm a terrible child. I'd dob my dad in just to see what happened if I made that connection.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Before I got married, I told my wife I golf on Saturday mornings. Always. After we're married, that's the only time off-limits. When we were having a kid, I said it again, only time off-limits. No scheduling family, friends, events. Saturday morning.

If you can't do that, you won't play. Ever. Every event is literally more important than any single round, and it will get pushed out.

Emergencies are going to have to take priority, for obvious reasons.

The corollary to this is, you don't get to put golf ahead of the family/friends otherwise. Free time? Golf. In-laws in town? Saturday morning golf, other times, in-laws.

Her water broke at 4am Saturday morning. Gave birth at 9pm. First round I'd missed in years.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
Think I can safely say that I had my best round ever yesterday. Played at Edinburgh USA, which isn't exactly an easy course. Was +9 through 16 holes with 9 pars....before a double par (+4) on 17 and triple bogey on 18.....which was a little upsetting. Keeping my chips around the green low made a huge difference.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
well, I finally did it! self coached myself into an unusable swing! it looks great, and honestly the wedges and 9 irons have never been this high and accurate but past that, big welp. looking at my videos I'm doing everything I wanted to do so I have no more to add. This is the wall I was waiting for before looking for more coaching.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Had a lovely Sunday morning at the range with a buddy. Played around with closing my driver face and adjusting my stance on driver and am seeing a noticeable improvement so going to keep up on that. Still don’t hit it too terribly far but at least I’m keeping it MUCH straighter instead of loving off 50 yards right. Even piped one probably 225ish and dead straight :unsmith:

But then I totally torpedoed my short iron game that I was very happy with by finally pulling the trigger on a nice full set of barely used irons to replace my grandpa’s old incomplete set I’ve been learning on :smith:

Also, while I really love the chipping/bunker and putting greens that no one uses at this facility, their driving range kinda sucks and they have a $15 9-hole executive course that’s fine for the price. However they had a ranger out today that was acting as a starter and between tee times was parking up at the putting green and driving range and glaring at us and the whole three other people there :jerkbag:

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Course Marshalls are usually giant d-bags in my experience

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

MakaVillian posted:

Course Marshalls are usually giant d-bags in my experience

Almost exclusively