Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

RCarr posted:

Almost exclusively

They have to deal with golfers all day and handle all the conflict so none of the rest of the staff has to. Its a pre-requisite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

GEMorris posted:

They have to deal with golfers all day and handle all the conflict so none of the rest of the staff has to. Its a pre-requisite

At my courses it’s also exclusively old retired dudes who love to boss people around.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

xsf421 posted:

At my courses it’s also exclusively old retired dudes who love to boss people around.

And spend as much time as possible looking for golf balls instead of monitoring pace of play.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Golf ball related question. How old is too old even for a novice? I was gifted a large bucket of balls. It looks like the average age of which is 12-15 years old. This includes some mid 2000’s to 2010-ish Pro V1s, Bridgestones, etc.

Should I:

- Use them because I won’t notice a difference hitting a 9i 100 yards?
- Save them for perilous shots?
- Save them for chipping/putting practice?

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

If you are hitting your 9i 100 yards you are not really compressing the ball, so honestly the only difference you'll see is in your chipping and possibly how they feel while putting. Even old ProV1s or other balls with urethane covers will spin more when hitting pitches and chips and will feel different than balls with firmer covers so I would just play them and try to get a sense for what you like the feel of before investing in newer balls.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

MakaVillian posted:

Course Marshalls are usually giant d-bags in my experience

I was mostly just rolling my eyes about it because lol, it’s a $15 track and pretty much looks the part. Our county parks system has half a dozen nice to extremely nice championship and tournament courses that don’t have starters/marshalls. Put the money you’re paying that guy to be crotechy and sit in a golf cart into idk making the grass on your range not a sand pit

Infomaniac
Jul 3, 2007
Support Cartographers Without Borders
I went out late at night with my brother in Palm Desert with a couple of uv flashlights and hunted so many balls. It was a nice bonding experience, and it was fun imagining the poor golfers who didn't find their drives when they were just off the fairway. Their loss is my gain.

Rogue Elephant
May 1, 2007

Last year playing fall golf I lost a ball in the rough 2 feet from the fairway. Then I found it playing the next week. I know because it had a very distinctive marking

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

just lol if you don't mark your golf balls with dickbutt

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
I play as a single, and well under 50% of golfers mark their balls. A pretty big percent don't know what brand and model ball they just hit.

"I think it was a Callaway?"

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I play a yellow Srixon so I almost never mark my ball. I might play one or two rounds a year with someone who also uses a yellow ball. I do still always know what model and number I'm playing though.

The only reason I use a yellow ball is because when I first started playing I was buying the same ball as my buddy (Bridgestone e6) and he was using white balls so I just grabbed the yellow to avoid any potential confusion.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
I mark my ball with a straight sharpie line because I'm constantly checking my lie angles as I make swing changes. (I also play red or orange neon Wilson Optix Duo's, so usually the only other red or orange neon balls in the group are callaways)

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

I just started marking mine. I’d never played with someone using Z star diamonds until three weeks ago when the entire foursome was. So now they get the St Rappeo cross in blue.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Rogue Elephant posted:

Last year playing fall golf I lost a ball in the rough 2 feet from the fairway. Then I found it playing the next week. I know because it had a very distinctive marking

The other weekend I thought I had lost my ball in the very deep links-style rough on a big steep hill surrounding the 2nd green. Apparently there wasn’t anyone in front of me, because it was my last ProV1 and when I got to the 9th green tucked behind said hill, it was sitting right there on the edge of it :downs:

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
I guess I don't see why one wouldn't mark one's ball. I play some fairly unusual balls (my winter ball is the Cut Grey). I still mark. Too many players are just hitting some random crap they found and have no clear idea what they hit, so being able to say, "my ball has two blue lines under the number" ends any question.

Bad day off the tee, and on approaches. Great day chipping and putting.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

torgeaux posted:

I guess I don't see why one wouldn't mark one's ball. I play some fairly unusual balls (my winter ball is the Cut Grey). I still mark. Too many players are just hitting some random crap they found and have no clear idea what they hit, so being able to say, "my ball has two blue lines under the number" ends any question.

Bad day off the tee, and on approaches. Great day chipping and putting.

My experience is that even a mark won’t stop someone from picking up or playing my ball. I’ve had people playing a different hole drive out into my fairway, pick up my ball, and then deny doing it.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

xsf421 posted:

My experience is that even a mark won’t stop someone from picking up or playing my ball. I’ve had people playing a different hole drive out into my fairway, pick up my ball, and then deny doing it.

True enough. I've chased a guy down to his green from our parallel fairways after he swore the ball he hit was his. I walked to it on the green, showed my mark (matching my other balls) to his playing partners and left him to figure out how to score it.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

xsf421 posted:

I had a lady I was golfing hit my Titleist ProV1 with my initials in a big green monogram; "whoops! I thought it was my Pinnacle!" Jesus Christ lady

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Guy today was not only hitting a range ball, but it was old, and the kind of dirty that indicates lengthy time in mud/water.

He was not aware the flight/distance/roll of the ball could and would be different from even a Top Flight ball.

torgeaux fucked around with this message at 00:57 on May 21, 2024

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

I started marking mine because every time I had a better result than my husband he'd be like "This is my ball. No, this can't be yours, it's definitely mine."

Now I can point at the sparkly metallic sharpie circle around the logo as proof, AND my ball is shiny :3:

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Hey guys I was redirected here from the chat thread.

I’m organizing a surprise trip to Scotland or my dad’s 70th. He’s always wanted to go and just has never had time. I was thinking I’d get him a round of golf at royal st Andrew’s. Ive looked at the costs. This is just preliminary. I’d like to book it before the end of summer. I haven’t yet reached out to see how far out they’re booking. I understand I need a letter from his course pro confirming his handicap and that won’t be an issue.

Has anyone done something similar?

I’m a miserable golfer and wouldn’t want to bother. I was wondering if they allow a caddy. I think he’d really like that if we just walked 18 together.

Thanks!

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Caddies are provided at St Andrews so they’re not going to let you carry around your dad’s bag.

Your best bet for booking something for this year would be through a package as that would guarantee you a tee time.

Tee times are booked 2 days out, by lottery, if you don’t have something set up beforehand

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Playing with a guy with the prettiest practice swing I've ever seen. Occasionally, his actual swing, too

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
I just set up a home practice with a tiny hitting mat with fairway/rough sides and some foam balls (total budget: $30) for chipping and other ball striking exercises. nothing that will allow me to do full swings but that's by design, having a simulator would probably cause me long lasting physical damage or complaints from my downstairs neighbors.

With it I already had a major breakthrough: I was trying to figure out why I got so much better overall after a chipping session and the reason was that I was right hand chipping the balls off the green to chip them again, being careful to not damage the green. Turns out that was a very effective unintentional drill. Once I stopped doing that my contact steadily got worse. I'm now doing that at home, switching between my left and right hands and its quite impressive how much better my contact gets after a few one hand chips. Turns out my left arm gets tired way before my right arm, and it has poor movement from the get go. Once I'm done I get back to two handed chipping/pitching and wow, what a difference.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

got completely crack addict hooked on golf in March. been going with a buddy who has been hugely helpful with every swing. got 51+a breakfast ball on the executive course I’ve played a few times last night. right now im inconsistent off the tee and my chips all go too far or I under exaggerate and they go two feet. it’s literally all I think about, when I close my eyes at night i see my golf swing. hit a nasty 15 foot putt. my driver will either go 15 feet up into the air or like 200 yards. not sure how I can add distance without completely loving up my swing.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

got completely crack addict hooked on golf in March. been going with a buddy who has been hugely helpful with every swing. got 51+a breakfast ball on the executive course I’ve played a few times last night. right now im inconsistent off the tee and my chips all go too far or I under exaggerate and they go two feet. it’s literally all I think about, when I close my eyes at night i see my golf swing. hit a nasty 15 foot putt. my driver will either go 15 feet up into the air or like 200 yards. not sure how I can add distance without completely loving up my swing.

One of us, one of us.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Good news, you'll be completely loving up your swing for years! Embrace the suck, and get some lessons now before your bad habits become muscle memory

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Stop practicing and get lessons now. You don't want to ingrain bad habits that will take literal years to undo.

Also, golf is way harder than it looks.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Seconding getting lessons ASAP. The longer you wait the more poo poo you’ll have to change and the longer it’ll take to be good at golf.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
Golf is all consuming, I've been feeling the same way. Get lessons, absolutely.

Speaking of, since I like golf, volunteering and have free time I applied to volunteer for first tee. Apparently you can get a lot of free sports training programs (and free access to coaches) during the sessions. Lets see how that goes!

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

torgeaux posted:

Playing with a guy with the prettiest practice swing I've ever seen. Occasionally, his actual swing, too

He got it going in the second half, but man, that practice swing was just a thing of beauty. Easy, fluid, great follow through.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

This is some grade-A cop bullshit

https://x.com/fried_egg_golf/status/1793672847468204435?s=46&t=IW0MSOWK0Lh4VsB3wVLoOA

Rogue Elephant
May 1, 2007

Scottie video just dropped

https://x.com/FOS/status/1793687383...agenumber%3D330

It's really astounding how cops do this poo poo with almost no sense of shame or embarrassment

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Obviously the cop and his $80 pants were dragged out of frame

T-Square
May 14, 2009

I golfed a poo poo ton last year and progressively got worse and finally put the clubs down in October and didn’t think about golf at all until the Masters this year. Couple of weeks ago I played like four rounds and had a range session within a week and I have a range session planned tomorrow and two tee times booked this weekend and my first come first serve $7 par3 course opens too so I’ll probably get a round there too and I CANT WAIT

So yeah I’m hooked again too. And summer rec league starts in two weeks and my GFs retired greybeard dad joined with me so I’m excited to learn some poo poo from him

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
https://x.com/JasonRileyWDRB/status/1793732746332020985?t=0i414CGLzUwQVYFEa9vviw&s=19

Do yourself a favor, click through and read the whole thread. How the charges haven't been dropped yet I don't know.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
Not a suprise to anyone reading this forum but it is fuckin wild you can gently caress up 12 times at a job resulting in being suspended 6 times and still be employed.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Rookie numbers.

Guy needs to join the army and get those fuckup numbers up.

Also I bet Scheffler hates that cop on a visceral level. That dude arguably cost Scheffler millions in prize money and career fame while bitching about his $80 pants and that is a lol.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Only one thing can make a rich person sympathetic: fuckin cops.

That cop has a real punchable face too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

TheAlmightyFrog posted:

https://x.com/JasonRileyWDRB/status/1793732746332020985?t=0i414CGLzUwQVYFEa9vviw&s=19

Do yourself a favor, click through and read the whole thread. How the charges haven't been dropped yet I don't know.

They must have morons running the show. A) this guy probably shouldn't still have a badge. B) the charges should have been dropped REALLY quick in order to lessen the embarrassment now being heaped upon this department