Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

City of Glompton posted:

thank you all, she is an angel, but have you considered a hen in the style of round?

:orb:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

City of Glompton posted:

thank you all, she is an angel, but have you considered a hen in the style of round?

Ah, yes; the physicist's theoretical spherical chicken... :hmmyes:

I just hope that's not a vacuum... :ohdear:

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I had to crawl under the deck to take this picture. She was running around the yard with it.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

City of Glompton posted:

Well, I was really looking for something more along the lines of a trapezoid.

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

Alterian posted:

I had to crawl under the deck to take this picture. She was running around the yard with it.

beautiful and clever

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

Y’all, Blanche is STILL mothering these babies and they are 8 weeks old today which is a week past our previous record. Usually she mothers for 5-1/2 weeks. :shrug:

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Judging by her expression, she still takes her mothering duties very seriously

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

she's so dedicated! i love buff chickens, they're so pretty

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

Joburg posted:

Y’all, Blanche is STILL mothering these babies and they are 8 weeks old today which is a week past our previous record. Usually she mothers for 5-1/2 weeks. :shrug:
she's doing important work.

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

in non-dedicated hen news, Scarlett's eggs are pipped and she doesn't want to stay on the nest!!! she's worrying me. these are the pooped on eggs that she's gotten off of a bunch, hope they are ok

City of Glompton fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Oct 9, 2022

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

City of Glompton posted:

in non-dedicated hen news, Scarlett's eggs are pipped and she doesn't want to stay on the nest!!! she's worrying me. these are the pooped on eggs that she's gotten off of a bunch, hope they are ok

that last egg that didn't hatch was due to heat changes, based on my observations and googling, and it concerns me that we might have more of that

Do you have another broody or an incubator you can put them in? Some hens don’t understand the hatching process the first time but figure it out on later broods.

Good luck to your eggs!

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

we have one but, her eggs are due a few days from now. Scarlett has settled down enough to hatch one chick, so hopefully that will help her stay put

e: she has hatched 6 chicks with 2 more pipped. there are two eggs that i think are duds there as well, but wasn't sure enough to take them out. so good job Scarlett, you're doing it.

i hope i wake up to 8 fluffy babies in the morning

City of Glompton fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Aug 31, 2022

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
My chickens are acting very strangely.
Annabelle, the "lead chicken", has developed an odd habit. She will stand in the middle of the lawn, puff herself up while flapping and let out a very loud "barking" squawk. She'll then stand there for a bit before repeating it.
There's no threats or anything around, and the others seem perfectly calm, so it doesn't look like a predator warning. If I go to see her she'll calm down and stop. Anyone observed anything remotely similar?

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Astrid didn't make it back to the coop last week before we locked them up. We searched and couldn't find her. She was walking around the yard the next morning. It happened again a few days later, but it wasn't quite too dark yet and I was able to find the hiding spot. Last night her sister Valkyrie joined her. We put them in the coop when they do this because our area is pretty wild.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
We had a group of 15 young chickens that were roosting in the trees. We were able to get them down every night and after about a month most go to the coop but a few hold outs still prefer the trees. It’s a pain but they will eventually figure it out. Really big breeds don’t seem to go through this phase in my experience.

We’ve had one of the guineas staying the the coops at night for about a week. I assume she wouldn’t be grab-able if she was healthy so we did a quick external parasite check and found nothing. I gave her Ivermectin on Sunday in case she has some internal parasite. Yesterday she looked awful, droopy wings and gasping. Sorry for the poor video quality.
https://youtube.com/shorts/nCJTdPtKi-Q?feature=share

I gave her an LA 200 injection last night. Today she’s not gasping but it’s not as humid as it was yesterday. Any other suggestions of stuff to look for or try?

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Our neighbors have a tree full of chickens at night. When we go lock up our coops we shine the flashlight over there and see a dozen orbs with eyes looking back at us. It’s hilarious.

We had a hen that decided to brood in the wood pile away from the coop. Took us a couple of weeks of going out and digging through the wood to get to her, bring her to the coop, before she started doing it again herself. Silly chickens.

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

Razakai posted:

Annabelle, the "lead chicken", has developed an odd habit. She will stand in the middle of the lawn, puff herself up while flapping and let out a very loud "barking" squawk. She'll then stand there for a bit before repeating it.
There's no threats or anything around, and the others seem perfectly calm, so it doesn't look like a predator warning. If I go to see her she'll calm down and stop. Anyone observed anything remotely similar?

can you get a video of this?

Alterian posted:

Astrid didn't make it back to the coop last week before we locked them up. We searched and couldn't find her. She was walking around the yard the next morning. It happened again a few days later, but it wasn't quite too dark yet and I was able to find the hiding spot. Last night her sister Valkyrie joined her. We put them in the coop when they do this because our area is pretty wild.

naughty babies

Joburg, good luck with the guinea, i wish i had a suggestion.

here's Scarlett's babies, she managed to hatch 8 despite her best efforts. three more eggs this week and then we are done hatching (unless Lil' Pep gets broody again, i'm saving her eggs for her :love:)

https://i.imgur.com/SAdynej.mp4

bonus from yesterday: when someone is making a fuss, but you can't figure out why. it's amazing to see all the chicks freeze in place.

(there was a RIR standing on top of the run, hollerin, i don't know why)

City of Glompton fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Oct 9, 2022

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I don't have chickens and I only very occasionally think about getting some, but I've been reading this thread over the past few weeks and it is now officially my favorite thread on the whole forums.

Chickens are so cute and so dumb

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

Razakai posted:

I forgot to answer this earlier, roosters do that. I think it’s just a general announcement to anyone in the area that this is their flock and they are willing to fight if anyone disagrees.

Annabelle is the big bad boss chicken and now everyone in your neighborhood knows it.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Airbnb I stayed at had some lovely birds!

One wee little chicklet:

how are cochins so round and perfect

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here

Joburg posted:

I forgot to answer this earlier, roosters do that. I think it’s just a general announcement to anyone in the area that this is their flock and they are willing to fight if anyone disagrees.

Annabelle is the big bad boss chicken and now everyone in your neighborhood knows it.

I looked up a video of hens crowing and that does appear to be it - seeing as there's no rooster I guess she's decided to be the boss. Hopefully this doesn't become an early morning habit...

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
https://i.imgur.com/aJ4mQ6g.mp4

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

...Oh thank god... :ohdear:

(:allears:)

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

Meet Henny and Bennie. Their mom is a Maran, dad is a Brahma x West-Sussex.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Now that's an album I'd buy based solely on the cover.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
Those feather patterns are really neat.

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

they're beautiful

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

The top one is really striking a pose.

Do they have feathers on one leg only, or are they on the outside of the leg so it looks like one leg is feathered and one isnt?

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

The top one is really striking a pose.

Do they have feathers on one leg only, or are they on the outside of the leg so it looks like one leg is feathered and one isnt?

The feathers are on the outside only, a bit like cowboy pants.

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

City of Glompton fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Oct 9, 2022

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
Sorry Scarlett is a bad mom. I would separate Navi and give the chicks to her. After a few days she will bond with them and be LESS likely to keep trying to take Clarice’s babies.

I’ve not been having a lot of luck selling my pullet chicks either. Here most people buy/sell on Facebook so that always means I look at their profiles so I either don’t offer my birds or I respond with a high price if I don’t like them. (I decided the price includes a donation to BLM in their name :))

And one person even had a post hinting that they like cock fighting WTF!

I still have space and the cockerels are getting removed as they get old enough so I guess I’ll just have lots of chickens. It will be nice to see what color eggs they lay when they get there. The oldest pullets from our own eggs are 4 months old now so just a month or two to go.

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

Here are some of my other chocks chilling in the garden.

Morning traffic at the kitchen door, all begging for treats :3:

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

:kimchi:

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
I love that phase when the feathers are coming in but the down is still there. :3:

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

big girls having a sunbath

new babies :3: all three are here but it's difficult to parse the two in front. we are now done hatching

City of Glompton fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Oct 9, 2022

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

5 week old chicks update. looks like we've got 3 or4 roosters among our hens and they're growing up nicely.

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

so a few weeks ago i bought two hens and two roosters for the excellent price of five dollars each, but to my absolute horror and dismay, my cattledog puppy got into the cage and ate two hens and a rooster.

the remaining rooster was bullied in his old home and his head had been pecked totally bald when i got him, so i didn't even realise he was going to have a red head like our father felafel. now slowly regaining his rightful glory, he has been embraced by my four hens (moose, egret, sable and quoll). introducing the lucky orb, mister sandman:

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

yesterday i checked in on them to find moose and quoll sitting side-by-side with mister sandman snuggled between them. he is smaller than either of them and was completely buried in feathers, just a contented little face poking out from the vast fluffy expanse of hen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

double post dammit, so posted over the new page.

spookygonk fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Sep 4, 2022