Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Voice of experience: none of my cats ever used guitars as scratching posts. Amp grilles vary by cat. Carpeted amps and cabinets are favorite targets. Carpeted cabinets with metal grilles are problematic: claws get caught in the metal.

Also, this happens:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

"It's video games, Scully."
Video games?"
"He enlists the help of strangers to make his perfect video game. When he gets bored of an idea, he murders them and moves on to the next, learning nothing in the process."
"Hmm... interesting."
Holy poo poo, my cat came back! I have to mention, yesterday I had the manly eye excretions like the first time in a decade. Well, she can't eat or drink enough, and went twice around the house rubbing on everything, and by the way, I'm not sure if I should give her an anti-worm pill right away. Probably a new carrier is in order, since now she can barely bear looking at her current one? Anyway, :cabot: (SA's selection of cat emotes is pretty rudimentary).

kwantam
Mar 25, 2008

-=kwantam

supermikhail posted:

Holy poo poo, my cat came back! I have to mention, yesterday I had the manly eye excretions like the first time in a decade. Well, she can't eat or drink enough, and went twice around the house rubbing on everything, and by the way, I'm not sure if I should give her an anti-worm pill right away. Probably a new carrier is in order, since now she can barely bear looking at her current one? Anyway, :cabot: (SA's selection of cat emotes is pretty rudimentary).

Glad she's back.

Check her over carefully for signs of a fight with another cat. A few years ago my cat had a day outside the yard and returned having been bitten in the middle of her back. She did a good job of hiding it and was long haired, so by the time I figured out what had happened she'd lost almost a pound and had a giant abscess that had to be drained. Fortunately, she recovered; my wallet fared less well.

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

Video games?"
"He enlists the help of strangers to make his perfect video game. When he gets bored of an idea, he murders them and moves on to the next, learning nothing in the process."
"Hmm... interesting."
Thanks for the advice. I gave her a gentle rub-down (consensual!) and haven't really seen or felt anything. She had a fight early in September and that was really noticeable, so I feel quite confident I didn't miss anything. :ohdear:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yeah, next time, harness on the cat if you're ever going to open the case.

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

Video games?"
"Hmm... interesting."
I know! :downsgun: (But thanks for the reminder, cause I don't really trust myself right now.)

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

supermikhail posted:

I know! :downsgun: (But thanks for the reminder, cause I don't really trust myself right now.)

Don't forget flea drops if you don't use them already! And I'd give her a bath for good measure, not a flea bath, just a regular one, who knows what she got into while wandering.

So glad to hear she came back.

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

Video games?"
"Hmm... interesting."
Oh, I don't want to get into bathing - it's more of an ordeal than carriers because it's claws all the time. And it has to be two people. But thanks for the flea drops suggestion. I didn't even know it was a thing.

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
I just got a cat from the humane society on Friday (pictures soon) and I'm concerned - it's been sneezing like crazy and I think on one of the sneezes a bloody booger came out. The rest of the sneezes seem to be clear fluid though. But all throughout the night he's sneezing a bunch. His inner eyelid stays retracted most of the time but after a sneezing fit it goes about 1/4 over his eyes for 30 mins or so.

I wont be able to make an appointment with the vet until Monday so wondering if any advice to keep cat comfy. I read that running humidifier might help?

His appetite hasn't been much, at least for the purina stuff that came with him. I fed him some treats this morning and he ate a couple, drank some water, then threw it up after 5 mins. But since then, he's eaten more normal food and now is just chilling on the house.

I just feel so bad for the cat :(

Danith fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Oct 5, 2014

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

All I know is the vet said that while treating Raja's sinus infection if we ever saw blood come out of his nose than we needed to rush him back to the vet immediately. Are there any emergency vets in your area that might be able to take you today?

Danith
May 20, 2006
It wasn't like a big drop of blood, I was just looking at the comforter and noticed a really small booger that was bloody. Since this morning, cat seems better and has only sneezed a couple times. Still going to make appointment though, and looking to see where a emergency vet is

Vampess
Nov 24, 2010
I'm a new cat owner :)

This is tiger (very original, I know, but she has brown spots above her eyes that remind me of a tiger):

She's 3-4 weeks old, and a very good kitty. She meows when she needs to go to the bathroom, and even held it in on the car ride home!
We didn't get two, but I'm home alone a lot, so she's here to keep me company. She meows a lot when she wants attention, or needs anything, and purs really loud when she's being played with, petted, or brushed, so pretty much always when you're near her. She also likes to be carried around a lot, which she demands by more meowing.

As the OP stated, she's either sleeping, or enjoys playing. We had some friends over earlier, and I think the attention got her in overdrive mode, because at the end she was batting at everything that even remotely resembled string. She's been sleeping ever since they left. She's using the litterbox like a champ, and eating, drinking, and excreting properly. My boyfriend wants her to sleep downstairs eventually, but we leave the bedroom door open, so she can find us if she needs something. Of course I'll buckle, and let her sleep in the bedroom, if she doesn't let herself in.

No biting, no waking us up in the middle of the night, and she doesn't use nails. I think I have the best behaved kitten one could ever wish for!

Kitten farts though :stare:

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009
Are the OTC drops effective for ear mites? I'm pretty sure one of my cats has mites in one of his ears and I don't want to wrangle both him and my toddler at the vet's unless it's necessary.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

When life becomes too painful, sometimes it's better to just become a drunk.

Vampess posted:

For real! When do kitten farts end? We had a friend over and Tali was crop dusting us the whole night.

And Tiger is so pretty.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

That looks like a high-quality cat, but it's hard to tell with just one picture. Wake her up and take more.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

ilysespieces posted:

For real! When do kitten farts end? We had a friend over and Tali was crop dusting us the whole night.

And Tiger is so pretty.

I know kitten farts are a thing, but cat poo poo smells horrible no matter what! I think the kind of food you are feeding them really matters. We have a new cat in our house who is starting to get weened off Purina and onto something not owned by Nestle (I am boycotting them for numerous reasons), and her poo poo STINKS while our other cat's poo poo isn't as bad.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
Hugo used to fart every time he jumped. We figured he needed the extra boost to gain altitude or something.

Noxious kittenfarts stopped when he was about 8 months old.

Edit: Speaking of cats...

We got the jerks a shelf from SquareCatHabitat. Much squabbling ensued, there were many deaths etc:

So we got another one. Peace has returned to our humble abode.

Tamarillo fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Oct 6, 2014

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Vampess posted:

I'm a new cat owner :)

This is tiger (very original, I know, but she has brown spots above her eyes that remind me of a tiger):

She's 3-4 weeks old, and a very good kitty. She meows when she needs to go to the bathroom, and even held it in on the car ride home!
We didn't get two, but I'm home alone a lot, so she's here to keep me company. She meows a lot when she wants attention, or needs anything, and purs really loud when she's being played with, petted, or brushed, so pretty much always when you're near her. She also likes to be carried around a lot, which she demands by more meowing.

As the OP stated, she's either sleeping, or enjoys playing. We had some friends over earlier, and I think the attention got her in overdrive mode, because at the end she was batting at everything that even remotely resembled string. She's been sleeping ever since they left. She's using the litterbox like a champ, and eating, drinking, and excreting properly. My boyfriend wants her to sleep downstairs eventually, but we leave the bedroom door open, so she can find us if she needs something. Of course I'll buckle, and let her sleep in the bedroom, if she doesn't let herself in.

No biting, no waking us up in the middle of the night, and she doesn't use nails. I think I have the best behaved kitten one could ever wish for!

Grats on being picked by such a pretty little cat. You say 3-4 weeks old but do you mean months? At 3-4 weeks their eyes are just open and they are barely beginning to stagger around. About the farts... my girl is 15 and she still rips them out. Get used to the blistering foulness.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

Slimy Hog posted:

I know kitten farts are a thing, but cat poo poo smells horrible no matter what! I think the kind of food you are feeding them really matters. We have a new cat in our house who is starting to get weened off Purina and onto something not owned by Nestle (I am boycotting them for numerous reasons), and her poo poo STINKS while our other cat's poo poo isn't as bad.

Very true, she also decided right when a friend came over was the perfect time to take a huge stinky poo poo. We started feeding her Merrick brand dry/wet food once we ran out of the stuff the shelter sent us home with and every time I pick her up she lets one rip. I'm thinking it's her little way to protest being picked up because she doesn't struggle or fight me otherwise.

LeafyGreens
May 9, 2009

the elegant cephalopod

My kitten's were horrendous on Whiskas but since I started changing her food to something better quality she doesn't really do it anymore. Dunno why but they seemed to be particularly numerous/pungent when she had anything rabbit or lamb flavoured :shrug:

She was also sitting on my shoulder one night, purring up a storm and being a sweetheart...then she turned her butt round and let one rip right into my face :catstare:

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

Video games?"
"Hmm... interesting."
To introduce a dissenting voice, mine doesn't really, I've caught her maybe two times and those were really small, localized farts. You'd think it's an integral part of metabolism, but it seems to depend on the cat? Or maybe it's part of an equilibrium in our team, cause I myself am quite a gas pump. (Stinky smiley?) For the record, I've been feeding my cat dry food for a long time now, of the Hills and Royal Canin brands.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

ilysespieces posted:

Very true, she also decided right when a friend came over was the perfect time to take a huge stinky poo poo. We started feeding her Merrick brand dry/wet food once we ran out of the stuff the shelter sent us home with and every time I pick her up she lets one rip. I'm thinking it's her little way to protest being picked up because she doesn't struggle or fight me otherwise.

Both of mine are on Merrick, and An jumped into the litter box and dropped not only a foul bomb, but a symphony of sharting. For the size of the log/pile she dropped I don't know how she was able to keep the fart going for so long. it was a good 15 seconds+ of cat shart.

:catstare:

I had to get off the can mid my own drat poo poo and scoop and courtesy flush the thing she did, and it still took three matches after that for me to poo poo in nostril peace.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Since we are on the topic of a bad cat smells, I would highly recommend checking out of this product: http://m.iherb.com/way-out-wax-clean-air-pet-spritzer-4-fl-oz/45196

For us it works really great, it doesn't have a weird fake smelling perfume scent, it smells really sweet and mild, like somebody just opened a can of cola next to you. It works really quickly to eliminate poo smells, but it also fades really quickly, meaning you don't end up with a house that smells like a fake air freshener. You spray it, it smells nice, and then you don't smell anything at all, including cat poo. Your mileage may vary based on the extremes of your cat poo emergency. The bottle says it's even safe to spray directly on your pet (but I'm wary of that). The label is a picture of a cat stepping out of a litter box while smoking a cigar, so you know that they're aiming high.

Rat Patrol fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Oct 7, 2014

Vampess
Nov 24, 2010
Turns out it's pretty difficult to make good pictures of a kitty that's awake. Either I dont have the camera at hand, or my hands full with said kitty! But I somewhat succeeded :)

"This is not string."

Starting to get it.

Tiger like markings on her face.

And yeah, she isn't 4 weeks old, but she definitely isn't older than 8 weeks (the cat's from my boyfriend's parents farm).

I just noticed she has a bit of a scab in her ears. But on closer inspection, it does seem to be healing and not open (though I guess someone sticking their finger in your ear is annoying). I'm reading about earmites at the moment, but she doesn't scratch very often, and has none of the other symptoms.

About the toy, it's a plush snake thing with feather and a noisemaker in the head (smaller ball in a hollow one, I'm guessing), and we've developed a game where I keep it still, until she walks, or stalks over, and then I jerk it around, while she leaps and jumps after it. She even does the kicking feet thing. It's very cute. Maybe I'll make a video of that :)

We also need to buy a vertical scratcher, because she seems to have taken a liking to scratching an old couch, instead of using the horizontal scratcher we've got.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Vampess posted:

Turns out it's pretty difficult to make good pictures of a kitty that's awake. Either I dont have the camera at hand, or my hands full with said kitty! But I somewhat succeeded :)

"This is not string."

Starting to get it.

Tiger like markings on her face.

And yeah, she isn't 4 weeks old, but she definitely isn't older than 8 weeks (the cat's from my boyfriend's parents farm).

She's very cute. Nice pictures! :3:

bubblelubble
Feb 26, 2013

scribbled out the truth,
paying in naivety.
Oooh just realised my Pixel hasn't farted on me in a while! I've probably just jinxed it but yay maybe she's over the farty kitten stage - it IS her first birthday in 3 weeks after all ^_^ Fingers crossed the stinky horror is over!

Danith
May 20, 2006
Got my cat into the vet today and the vet thinks the sneezing is just a cold virus and doesn't want to put him on anti-biotics unless he starts sneezing out colored fluid. Vet also said the cat is at the perfect weight. Vet also cleaned his ears out.

Cat still slept all day, have a feeling he will be bugging me tonight.

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

Sorry, a system error occurred.

Huntersoninski posted:

Since we are on the topic of a bad cat smells, I would highly recommend checking out of this product: http://m.iherb.com/way-out-wax-clean-air-pet-spritzer-4-fl-oz/45196

For us it works really great, it doesn't have a weird fake smelling perfume scent, it smells really sweet and mild, like somebody just opened a can of cola next to you. It works really quickly to eliminate poo smells, but it also fades really quickly, meaning you don't end up with a house that smells like a fake air freshener. You spray it, it smells nice, and then you don't smell anything at all, including cat poo. Your mileage may vary based on the extremes of your cat poo emergency. The bottle says it's even safe to spray directly on your pet (but I'm wary of that). The label is a picture of a cat stepping out of a litter box while smoking a cigar, so you know that they're aiming high.

I may have to get this. We have three litterboxes in our tiny rear end apartment and it can get pretty gross even though we clean all of them daily.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

DaisyDanger posted:

I may have to get this. We have three litterboxes in our tiny rear end apartment and it can get pretty gross even though we clean all of them daily.

Here's what you need:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lmy9R_WtPbg

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

Sorry, a system error occurred.
I think that would only work if I sprayed it into their GI tracts.

Nurse Chapel
Jan 16, 2014

I'm a doctor, not a nurse.
I only experienced kitten/cat farts once, 15 years ago when I was young and horrible and stupid, I got a kitten from a pet store. Apparently she was farting because she had worms. It was so bad my girlfriend wrote a poem about it. Vet gave her some liquid medicine and then no more farts, but she was really depressed when the medicine ran out because she thought it was delicious :confused:

Anyways I really need to complain about how one of my cats manages to hide toys and then throw them in my face in the middle of the night. I live in a tiny space and clean religiously but just yesterday I woke up to him dropping a toy on me that I hadn't seen for at least 8 months. Is he raising up the floor boards? Did he install a secret trap door in the wall? :iiam: Seriously, how, where, and why do they hide toys like this?

ATP5G1
Jun 22, 2005
Fun Shoe

supermikhail posted:

Congratulations! I was sad when I heard about your lost kitty. My cats got outside and I was flipping out and crying immediately upon discovery because I am a big baby.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
e:nvm figured it out

Thin Privilege fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Oct 7, 2014

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

Video games?"
"Hmm... interesting."

ATP5G1 posted:

Congratulations! I was sad when I heard about your lost kitty. My cats got outside and I was flipping out and crying immediately upon discovery because I am a big baby.

Thanks. I don't know, I think I was in denial for a first while - "Did I just seriously do that? No, I can't have been this stupid. That probably was a character in a movie." :downs:

Danith
May 20, 2006
Oh god, be careful of trying to play with your cat when it has a cold. I brought out the cat fishing toy and was moving the mouse around with Tigger watching, he apparently started drooling and had a sneezing fit. Giant string of mucus-drool attached to cat and snot everywhere.:catstare:

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

toplitzin posted:

Both of mine are on Merrick, and An jumped into the litter box and dropped not only a foul bomb, but a symphony of sharting. For the size of the log/pile she dropped I don't know how she was able to keep the fart going for so long. it was a good 15 seconds+ of cat shart.

:catstare:

I had to get off the can mid my own drat poo poo and scoop and courtesy flush the thing she did, and it still took three matches after that for me to poo poo in nostril peace.

We had cat shart once, and it was hilarious. The bf and I were playing Diablo 3 or something and all of a sudden hear the loudest fart from the corner of the living room where her litter box is kept. We kind of looked at each other in shock, we couldn't believe the sound she made.

I picked Tali up the other night to bring her into the bedroom for snuggles before we kick her out for sleeping and, as she loves to do, she farted right when I picked her up. I held her kitty butt up and said to my bf "she farted, smell" and he sniffed and then had the audacity to get mad at me that he smelled her gross kitty fart. It's not like I pretended she smelled good or something, he knew what he was smelling.

On the topic of hidden toys, I just realized I need to clean under the fridge because she knocked all her fluffy pompoms under there and we have none left for her to play with. We're left throwing balls of tin foils and pizza tables around for entertainment.
She also scared my bf horribly, he saw her coming at him with a tiny brown mouse in her mouth and he freaked out, thinking she caught something. Nope, the people who lived in this apartment before us had a cat and she found a toy that was left. No idea where it came from, we rearranged the minimal furniture that was left and all the stuff that it could have been hidden under, bar the fridge, we brought with us. :iiam:

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011
So I just got a 6 month old kitten, Franklin, to go with my very friendly 4 year old, Buster. I figured the introduction period would go pretty quick since Buster was a free-roamer at the shelter and Franklin was a kitten from a foster home with a lot of animals. This was mostly true - there's been no hissing and each cat will go right up to the other no problems, no hiding. Except Buster keeps trying to pin Franklin down and bite him, constantly, though it isn't necessarily violent. Franklin seems more interested in checking out everything in the apartment like a kitten should, while Buster follows him around trying to jump on top of him. The cat book suggests distracting Buster with toys, but he doesn't care about anything else (even the laser, which I've never seen him ignore before). Right now I've got them separate with a baby gate so that they can see each other without getting physical, but I'm not sure where to go from here. Help?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Neptr posted:

So I just got a 6 month old kitten, Franklin, to go with my very friendly 4 year old, Buster. I figured the introduction period would go pretty quick since Buster was a free-roamer at the shelter and Franklin was a kitten from a foster home with a lot of animals. This was mostly true - there's been no hissing and each cat will go right up to the other no problems, no hiding. Except Buster keeps trying to pin Franklin down and bite him, constantly, though it isn't necessarily violent. Franklin seems more interested in checking out everything in the apartment like a kitten should, while Buster follows him around trying to jump on top of him. The cat book suggests distracting Buster with toys, but he doesn't care about anything else (even the laser, which I've never seen him ignore before). Right now I've got them separate with a baby gate so that they can see each other without getting physical, but I'm not sure where to go from here. Help?

As long as there isn't any verbal sparring going on its Buster trying to play with Franklin. If Franklin doesn't give a poo poo, or yowl or have blood drawn, its probably cats.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
Yeah, sounds like Buster wants to play. As long as Franklin doesn't seem distressed, let 'em go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

Danith posted:

Oh god, be careful of trying to play with your cat when it has a cold. I brought out the cat fishing toy and was moving the mouse around with Tigger watching, he apparently started drooling and had a sneezing fit. Giant string of mucus-drool attached to cat and snot everywhere.:catstare:

My cat was once facing completely away from me, sneezed, and still managed to get snot on my leg. I have no idea how.