Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
A while back I saw some comedy battle royale that Adam & Mike plugged on their show.
Now, someone tell me something about Muscles Sakai because he, his outfit and his hair were fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimchuck Spanner
Sep 9, 2001

welp
Marufuji winning the jr. title will surely improve his chances of returning to the NOAH main event scene

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

Beeswax posted:

A while back I saw some comedy battle royale that Adam & Mike plugged on their show.
Now, someone tell me something about Muscles Sakai because he, his outfit and his hair were fantastic.
Muscle Sakai is a fixture for indy uberfed DDT, and he also does some small shows of his own. His trademark has become slo-mo sequences, which I'm willing to bet is in the battle royal you saw. He's done it at least two other times. Mostly does comedy.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

realistically what are the chances of All Japan being bought out by New Japan? At oone point, I understood that All Japan was in pretty dire straights but I don't know if they've improved business or not.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

coconono posted:

realistically what are the chances of All Japan being bought out by New Japan? At oone point, I understood that All Japan was in pretty dire straights but I don't know if they've improved business or not.
New Japan was bought by Yukes and has turned a profit in just one quarter since the start of 2006. Yukes ain't gonna buy All Japan. Meanwhile, I've never heard that All Japan was near bankruptcy the way New Japan was in late '05.

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com
Yes, we are hybrid rappers.

Beeswax posted:

Does anybody have the link to this? I saw it around that time and it was hilarious.

Takaku Fuke committing seppuku in slow motion had me dying.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....
3 Questions:

Are new japan and all japan really so close that everyone's completely fine with him being champion of both?
What would be an American equivalent to how insane this is?
Is great muta still an amazingly charismatic stallion of an alien, mist spewing wrestler?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Why is it insane at all? Mutoh is in charge of All Japan, and while holding the IWGP title said "Hey, it'd be cool to be Triple Crown Champion again too."

TheDuelies
Jul 13, 2005

I'd go gay for this goggle-eyed freak!
Yeah, the "insane" part of the deal happened a while ago when he won the IWGP title and even that is not insane since he and NJPW have had a working relationship for a while now. Muto winning the Triple Crown isn't insane at all, just a regular title change by an All Japan wrestler. He just happens to also be the IWGP champ as well.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

MassRayPer posted:

Why is it insane at all? Mutoh is in charge of All Japan, and while holding the IWGP title said "Hey, it'd be cool to be Triple Crown Champion again too."

That's why I'm wondering if somebody with more knowledge of puro could provide an American equivalent, as it seems a lot like the WCW champion becoming the WWE champion at the same time.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
It'd be more like the WWF Champion winning the ECW title, (And I guess the WWE Champion has been the ECW Champion at the same time.) All Japan isn't terribly important anymore and would probably be a lot less important if New Japan didn't work with them as much as they do to pad their big shows.

And in Japan there is a history of promotions working together, while in the US it is pretty much unheard of.

Mutoh winning the IWGP was surprising. Him tacking this on really wasn't.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Battle royal: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=P6HRTGES

Another battle royal featuring Muscle Sakai (and TAKA and Shinzaki): http://theditch.us/12-31-06ChairmenBattle.avi

Wazzu posted:

3 Questions:

Are new japan and all japan really so close that everyone's completely fine with him being champion of both?
Kojima did it 3 and a half years ago. The precedent was set by Mutoh winning the Triple Crown in 2001. Or, even beyond that, the crazy amount of interpromoting in women's wrestling starting in late '92. Heck, AJ and NJ AND the WWF worked together on a Tokyo Dome show in the early '90s. In Japan you just don't have the hard, eternal rivalries like WWF vs WCW. I mean, Ted Turner started WCW just to get at Vince.

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com
Yes, we are hybrid rappers.

Ditch posted:

Battle royal: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=P6HRTGES

Another battle royal featuring Muscle Sakai (and TAKA and Shinzaki): http://theditch.us/12-31-06ChairmenBattle.avi

Thanks Ditch.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

MassRayPer posted:

And in Japan there is a history of promotions working together, while in the US it is pretty much unheard of.

My understanding of Japan is limited to mostly videogames, but I think its easier in japan for businesses to co-sponsor ventures than it is in the US(see Super Robot Wars, Namco X Capcom).

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Marufuji vs KENTA set for the next Budokan show. Interesting that KENTA has the title shot vs Danielson before then, while Marufuji just won AJ's junior belt.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Ditch posted:

Marufuji vs KENTA set for the next Budokan show.

YESSSSSSSSSS

DITCH YOU MUST GET THIS FOR ME ASAP ONCE IT COMES OUT.

also Danielson vs. KENTA IV but seriously now.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Ditch posted:

Marufuji vs KENTA set for the next Budokan show. Interesting that KENTA has the title shot vs Danielson before then, while Marufuji just won AJ's junior belt.

Hopefully they don't go out and try to have another MOTYC. Because god drat did their 06 match suffer from doing way too loving much.

Athius
Dec 5, 2004
Your Pretty Face Is Going To Hell
I dunno, I absolutely loved their last match and the "everything including the kitchen sink" approach to it.

Even with the near death spot halfway through.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
The second time I watched that match I was so loving bored for the last ten minutes. They just did really big moves for no rhyme or reason and had random comebacks. I really enjoyed the first twenty, but there was no reason that match was so long.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
3rd from the top means they won't go super-long. I'd suspect the winner would get Sasaki except that both lost convincingly to him during the summer.

I didn't have either of their '06 matches in my top 20 for that year, nor their '04 match. For some reason I expect this to be better.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

Ditch posted:

New Japan was bought by Yukes and has turned a profit in just one quarter since the start of 2006. Yukes ain't gonna buy All Japan. Meanwhile, I've never heard that All Japan was near bankruptcy the way New Japan was in late '05.
Okay to be clear, apparently there's an item from Meltzer along the lines of AJ being in financial trouble. I didn't know this. I still doubt NJ/Yukes would buy them though.

nongdongfongbong
Jul 30, 2006
"Nongnongdongfongbong" is one character too long. : (
I just watched some NOAH after a long time of not watching any wrestling at all and the Bricoes vs. Marufuji/Iibushi match almost made me want to be a fan again. That would have happened, if I ignored the rest of the card.

And Kanemaru's not fat anymore, did he befriend Masato Tanaka or something?

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
e: beaten

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

nongdongfongbong posted:

I just watched some NOAH after a long time of not watching any wrestling at all and the Bricoes vs. Marufuji/Iibushi match almost made me want to be a fan again. That would have happened, if I ignored the rest of the card.
Do you mean vs Nakajima/Ibushi? Because the show with Briscoes vs Marufuji/Ibushi, July 1st '07, was one of the most solid cards they've done lately.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I'm watching a collection of matches from NOAH's various tours to Mexico(rather they sent some of their tops guys and their own camera crew).

first match featured everyone looking like a bunch of tools except for Juventud Geurrera and Marufuji. La Secta did a run in, which by the looks of things was the first run in the japanese guys had ever participated in. A seriously weak looking brawl to the back. Again, Juvi and Marufuji to the rescue as they had a dance party afterward.

Next match featured Ishimori and Marufuji vs. El Oriental(?) and El Angel. Japanese dudes managed to learn how to heel. Ishimori kicked a little kid in the face and Marufuji pulled an El Dandy. Slightly more entertaining match than the first.

Then we got a segment of watching Marufuji drink till 4am and eat spicy poo poo. Then they watched some cliff divers.

I'll post more as it comes.
edit: Now poo poo just got interesting.

Marufuji, Charly Manson, Chessman vs. Abismo Negro, Kenzo Sazuki and Morishima. There is a lot of awesome in this ring now. Watching Charly Manson get killed dead by Morishima is just a treat. Why isn't Kenzo Sazuki wrestling in japan more? He rules.

coconono fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Oct 2, 2008

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
http://pulsewrestling.com/2008/10/02/puroresu-pulse-special-a-retrospective

Puroresu Pulse 4th Anniversary Special. Only slightly older than this thread!

In regards to Kenzo: I have no idea.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

What's a good Puro-oriented podcast? If I have to listen to TTR on Smart Wrestling Fan again, I may stab someone.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
If there was one they'd be begging me to be on it all the time so I have to say there isn't one.

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

coconono posted:

What's a good Puro-oriented podcast? If I have to listen to TTR on Smart Wrestling Fan again, I may stab someone.

It's not great but the Adam and Mike (or Adam and Joe) Show on the WO/F4W site is the best I've heard. Not worth signing up to the site fore, but there's loads on there that is.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
At long last online: my Scott Norton interview!

http://pulsewrestling.com/2008/10/09/pulse-wrestling-exclusive-interview-with-scott-norton/

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

That was a really interesting read, I was quite interested to hear about how the focus is more on ticket buyers and magazines than television.

I don't know who Hashimoto is, but he sounds hilarious. Who the hell "stealthily takes pictures of feeding pigeons" ?

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Hashimoto was part of the Mutoh/Chono group that was big in the '90s. Hash was on top of more 50,000+ wrestling crowds than any wrestler ever, but did very very little outside Japan. He died suddenly three years ago. I've highlighted a fair number of his matches in the Wednesday Puro thread.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Jerusalem posted:

I don't know who Hashimoto is, but he sounds hilarious.

quote:

While in ROH, Kendrick competed in several other promotions such as Heartland Wrestling Association and All Pro Wrestling, before leaving for Japan in June to compete in Pro Wrestling ZERO-ONE (ZERO1). There, he wrestled under the ring name Leonardo Spanky, a gimmick proposed by Shinya Hashimoto due to Kendrick's resemblance to Leonardo DiCaprio.

A great man.

Also he had an awesome theme song and was pretty awesome in general.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
New Japan big show results include Mutoh retaining the IWGP title over Nakamura and Nagata winning Zero-One's title from Masato Tanaka.

Also, KENTA beat Danielson in a 33 minute match to win the GHC junior title.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

NOOO HE LOST IT ALREADY?

But holy poo poo 33 minute match?

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Quackenbush! Again!

http://pulsewrestling.com/2008/10/13/puroresu-pulse-issue-135-mike-quackenbush-returns-plus-loads-of-news

TheDuelies
Jul 13, 2005

I'd go gay for this goggle-eyed freak!

Ditch posted:

Also, KENTA beat Danielson in a 33 minute match to win the GHC junior title.
Yay! (Well not for Danielson.)

KENTA vs Marufuji, title vs title match now!

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
I got Harley Race's phone number (!!!!) and I'm going to try and interview him. So, any questions that come to mind, let me know.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Ditch posted:

I got Harley Race's phone number (!!!!) and I'm going to try and interview him. So, any questions that come to mind, let me know.

What's up with the tattoos on his arms?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
How the hell did his relationship with NOAH get started. No offense to Harley, but WLW isn't the biggest indy or most famous school out there. When NOAH guys come over, exactly how much does he have to pay them vs how much NOAH covers?