Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Ben Nerevarine posted:

If you want a more relatable protagonist, read Book of the Long Sun. Silk is still a dumbass, but he’s a sweet, well-meaning dumbass, unlike Severian, who is kind of a monster (but he’s our monster!)

the whole joke in the book is that its all through the point of view of severian which is why every woman is super into him, and why all the fights always end with him doing something epic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whale Vomit
Nov 10, 2004

starving in the belly of a whale
its ribs are ceiling beams
its guts are carpeting
I guess we have some time to kill
I hated Shadow on my first read! It didn't work at all as a stand alone novel and the end stinger only annoyed me.

It was years before I read it again, and now I love all four books. That first book is laugh a riot because you read it from the understanding that Sev is King Dipshit -- but then even King Dipshit becomes kinda great by the end of Urth of the New Sun

Whale Vomit fucked around with this message at 05:02 on May 16, 2024

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009
Also those passages describing Jolenta's appearance bear up under a close reading. Wolfe isn't describing just another curvaceous female body but a shape that's almost grotesque and inhuman.

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.
Just started Long Sun 15 years after I finished the shadow series. It feels way less dense/deep than what I remember of shadow, which is probably a good thing considering my headspace. Kinda kicking myself for not reading it sooner because I like it a lot but someone on these forums ruined the framing reveal, and it's only 15 years later that I've mostly forgot what was spoiled.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
If you mean the generation ship thing, the series doesn't really pretend it's a mystery.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

anilEhilated posted:

If you mean the generation ship thing, the series doesn't really pretend it's a mystery.

Presumably Horn being the writer

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Yadoppsi posted:

Also those passages describing Jolenta's appearance bear up under a close reading. Wolfe isn't describing just another curvaceous female body but a shape that's almost grotesque and inhuman.

I seem to remember a passage where he suddenly is seeing her from another angle, I'm not sure if it's because she's doing something different or a shift in perspective from him, and he can only see the artifice of her.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
From memory she always seemed intentionally grotesque to me and I recall discussion of her being completely reliant upon the doctor for her appearance.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Atlas Hugged posted:

From memory she always seemed intentionally grotesque to me and I recall discussion of her being completely reliant upon the doctor for her appearance.

She's the waitress from the inn where severian first meets dr. talos and baldanders. whatever glamour dr. talos put on her causes her to die when he stops keeping it up. her appearance is basically like a sexy cartoon, an exaggeration of sexually appealing features in a way that doesn't function in reality (hence, for example, the note that she can't walk long distances because her thighs rub each other raw)

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Unnatural glamours causing problems is a recurrent Wolfe thing

An Evil Guest is largely about that, among many other things

What a strange book that is

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

I’m about 100 pages into shadow and claw. I was initially interested in reading BotNS with the idea it had the deep world building of a far future setting that something like The Dying Earth lacks. But while there’s been some interesting hints of what Urth is (the trip to the library, the description of the windows and strange lights in the highest level of the tower, the geographic/ecological references to South America) I’ve got a feeling all of these clues remain teases without ever congealing into a coherent whole. Is that the case, and all descriptions of the history and setting of the world are just bits and pieces that are cool but never really fit together?

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

I’m about 100 pages into shadow and claw. I was initially interested in reading BotNS with the idea it had the deep world building of a far future setting that something like The Dying Earth lacks. But while there’s been some interesting hints of what Urth is (the trip to the library, the description of the windows and strange lights in the highest level of the tower, the geographic/ecological references to South America) I’ve got a feeling all of these clues remain teases without ever congealing into a coherent whole. Is that the case, and all descriptions of the history and setting of the world are just bits and pieces that are cool but never really fit together?

A lot of the info is in the text, but it's hidden under typical Wolfean layers of indirect reference and unreliable narrators. With enough puzzling and reading outside commentary you can fit them together in your head a lot better than the impressionistic Dying Earth (nothing negative about that masterwork by the way). But unless you have a brain like Mr. Wolfe, it's going to be a job of work. If you enjoy that kind of thing, it's great. Otherwise, look stome stuff up would be my recommendation.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Early in Sword you'll find a fascinating if open to interpretation telling of how humankind ended up in this state.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
It’s not world building in a “ok here are the rules and here’s all crazy stuff and we’re gonna give you big info lore dumps don’t all tied together and makes sense in a nice package”

It’s earth in the extreme future where the sun is dying and society is decaying and all the technology and history and wonderful things are of the past and unknown now as the world stumbles to its end (maybe!)

There’s plenty of information about why things are happening and what’s going on, but I guess I’m saying it’s not like Tolkien world building where he builds a detailed history

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

To be fair there are multiple large info dumps that explain the how and why of Urth, they just tend to be in the form of twisted tales, dreams, and at best misunderstood artifacts.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I read the short story "Walking Sticks" last night and about 20 minutes after midnight, as I was half way through and reading it, someone rang my doorbell unexpectedly.

:aaaaa:

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

wolfe did say in an interview that it took place in south america, but it's very odd then that somehow nessus is west of the mountains

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

DeimosRising posted:

wolfe did say in an interview that it took place in south america, but it's very odd then that somehow nessus is west of the mountains

Some of the mountains aren't mountains but are decayed megacities and their super structures.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

DeimosRising posted:

Only New Sun spoiler

Urth is not our Earth, it's an alternate version in a past (or future) universal cycle, so there are variations in geography and the like. It may also be a universe without Christ but I'm iffy on saying that definitively. Also Severian seems to have trouble with directions iirc so maybe he literally just mixed up east and west lol.

Whole solar cycle spoiler

Long and Short Sun possibly also take place in a different cycle than the narrative of New Sun, which explains the inconsistencies with Severian showing up in Short Sun. You can also attribute that to Horn and Severian writing their own inconsistent fictions though. Universal cycles and unreliable narration sure do offer ironclad excuses for any inconsistency.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

my bony fealty posted:

Only New Sun spoiler

Urth is not our Earth, it's an alternate version in a past (or future) universal cycle, so there are variations in geography and the like. It may also be a universe without Christ but I'm iffy on saying that definitively. Also Severian seems to have trouble with directions iirc so maybe he literally just mixed up east and west lol.

You don't have to worry about spoilers, I've read everything more than once. But while that's true, if the Andes are west of the Parana that's just functionally not South America at all. It's an odd little detail, and it's common based on that interview quote and some other things to try and just directly equate Gyoll to the Parana, Diuturna to Titicaca, Ouroboros to the Amazon, Ascia is in North America, etc, but if the geography is so radically different that there are long, major rivers that can run west from the Andes, all those simple equivalences are meaningless. I'm inclined to not put that much weight on what Wolfe said in the interview - the books also note that the earth's crust has contracted significantly, and this has caused geologic changes of a kind our earth now has never experienced. The Commonwealth may be on a landmass that contains a lot of what we would call South America, but it's different enough that the comparison misleads more than it informs. Similarly using linguistic clues like the use of "alcalde" and so forth is a mistake because the book is, very explicitly, in translation and an alcalde in the Commonwealth and and alcalde in the Spanish Empire may be about as similar as a lance in each.

Atlas Hugged posted:

Some of the mountains aren't mountains but are decayed megacities and their super structures.

yeah but unless i misremember those are different bits.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Yeah it’s supposed to be so far in the earths future that any mountains we know wouldn’t exist as we know them

(Even if we assume it’s the same earth)

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
I thought west and east were flipped because of the poles being reversed in the deep future... But then the jungles with the Asciians would be "south" of the Commonwealth rather than north...

Facehammer
Mar 11, 2008

Levitate posted:

Yeah it’s supposed to be so far in the earths future that any mountains we know wouldn’t exist as we know them

(Even if we assume it’s the same earth)

Also the mountains are all carved into giant statues of dudes.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

dudes rock, so to speak

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

dudes rock, so to speak

Dude Rocks® - Rocks for Men!
[butt rock starts playing]