Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Can you lay out the topology including which interfaces/in what directions the ACL is applied, and share the contents of the ACL?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school

Dinosaur Gum
I’ve got two switches and a router connected in a triangle, from one switch it runs to a PC and a server both in their own VLANs. For the ACL I’ve got

Permit tcp any any range telnet 443
Deny ip any any

I tried applying it to the physical interface connected to the PC as well as the VLAN interface in both in and out. Nothing would stop ftp until I made a similar ACL for the router and applied it to the logical interface that runs to the VLAN for the PC

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
It sounds like you are trying to apply a “layer 3” ACL on a “layer 2” switchport interface, which is why it isn’t working but works when configured on the router.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah that tracks, I knew it couldn’t be anything complicated but I don’t have the networking experience to see through simple stuff like that yet. Lots of poking away at it

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Cyks posted:

It sounds like you are trying to apply a “layer 3” ACL on a “layer 2” switchport interface, which is why it isn’t working but works when configured on the router.

That's not really true - we use L3 DACLs on all our switchports and they work as expected.

In saying that, packet tracer is just a simulator so it may not work there.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school

Dinosaur Gum
A lot of things don't seem to work with it, but my other option was GNS3 and several students on reddit told me to use packet tracer. I'm supposed to be able to log ACL violations in syslog but packet tracer does not have the capability. Why even give us the option?

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
I don't recall if Packet Tracer uses custom images which are based on ones used for real hardware or if it uses standard images directly, but either way I bet they left the command set recognized by the parser alone and just changed how the simulator reacts to unsupported commands. I remember CCNA and CCNP exams years ago listing off all kinds of commands if you use '?', but many of them didn't work at all and just produced a response saying they were not supported.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Yeah, Packet Tracer will just lie to you about what's supported a lot of the time.

GNS3 is relatively slow and probably still only supports ancient IOS images if you want to emulate physical Cisco hardware but it'll actually do it accurately. It does support VIRL images (ASAv, IOSv, etc) so if you have access to those, you can run modern IOS/ASA software in the same sort of virtual environment that Cisco's own lab software does.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Containerlab is better than packet tracer, GNS3, and EVE-NG if you're comfortable at all with defining network state via a yaml file, either automatically or manually (ideally automatically).

For just a personal lab with full VMs, I like EVE-NG. Regardless of the one you run, yeah you will have a fair number of features that just don't work quite right if you're doing something strange.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school

Dinosaur Gum
Unfortunately the school only allows us to use GNS3 and Packet Tracer, and at this point I'm deep enough into the project that I'm not sure I'd have time to set it up again using GNS3. I've got 20 days to finish otherwise I'm paying for another term

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
What I generally see from people in the cert world is to just stick with packet tracer through CCNA. It’s pretty lovely but I guess the attitude is you won’t be unable to do anything required for that level of material.

E: that is a strange problem but I would agree, the first layer 3 interface being hit in your setup must be the one on the router.

FWIW I find that the ACL log command is super unreliable on live equipment. You’re not missing much.

Tetramin fucked around with this message at 00:40 on May 14, 2024

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Telnet is 23 and FTP is 21 ?

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school

Dinosaur Gum
Traditionally yeah

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
gonna implement port knocking by having someone transmit valid telnet option packets on the FTP port

HexiDave
Mar 20, 2009
I have a close friend who is just starting down the path to get his CCNA cert and I wanted to get him (and myself) some cheap equipment that'll be enough to go over everything for the cert. I have precisely zero Cisco experience, but I have plenty of other network equipment and experience to draw from and I want to be there each step so I can help him. I've seen on eBay there's a lot of 10/100 equipment that's deprecated and super cheap, but I don't have a good frame of reference with the CCNA to know what would be enough equipment.

I've got him playing with Packet Tracer, but I *really* want to get him some hands-on experience. Does anyone have some good suggestions (or links!) for hardware? It doesn't need to be bottom-of-the-barrel cheap, but I'm definitely looking for quantity over quality so we can both get into making more complex labs. I've done a bit of searching already, but so far every place has had totally different suggestions, and that doesn't fill me with confidence.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The consensus for a while was that the hardware bundles you could buy were people essentially shifting e-waste and Packet Tracer is more than enough for a CCNA. I guess it depends if someone has any hands-on experience with any networking hardware at all though and it might have a small bit of value in those situations.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
I think you can probably get ISR G3s (4000 series) for cheap on eBay now but even those are basically e-waste without a boost license because Cisco intentionally strangled those boxes to shaft people on per-device license costs. The 4331 is limited to 100 Mbps aggregate throughput with the base license, 300 Mbps with the "performance" license, and can theoretically push 1500 byte packets at 2 Gbps with the boost license (though since the boost license just turns off the CPU limiter, every feature you turn on lowers your throughput).

That being said I'm still using the same 48-port gigabit PoE 2960-S in my home network that I have been for ages, and it is by far the loudest thing in my network/compute stack, so I guess at least that's "functional" e-waste.

e: christ it's hard to get good throughput information out of Cisco these days. It's impressive how enshittified everything about that company has gotten in the past five years alone.

Kazinsal fucked around with this message at 20:24 on May 17, 2024

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Thanks Ants posted:

The consensus for a while was that the hardware bundles you could buy were people essentially shifting e-waste and Packet Tracer is more than enough for a CCNA. I guess it depends if someone has any hands-on experience with any networking hardware at all though and it might have a small bit of value in those situations.

I don't have specific recommendations but I would argue there is some value in a (small, cheap) physical lab if you've never even seen ~enterprise~ network equipment before. Surely every geek has touched ethernet but a lot less have dealt with fiber. Not sure if it would even come up in the course of the CCNA exam. But your first week on the job when your boss hands you some SFPs and fiber, it would be nice not to look like a deer in the headlights.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Taking a stab I'd just get a 4x 3750X and a few 29xx series routers if it were me. It's been a while but the 29xxs could have all licensing enabled on IOS 15 but I think they started locking it down in later releases. This might be really bad advice these days because my Cisco experience largely stopped in 2012.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

I think the 2900 is still all RTU . 3750s have bad flash and power supply caps I wouldn’t pay for those . You can book free limited lab time in the CML sandbox so you can lab for free too.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop
RTU goes as high as 16.8.1 (3850s) and then after a bunch of versions they went to CSLU which is basically RTU once you get the initial licence on there (or buy them grey market already on there).

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Is it true that Cisco is killing off all their non-8000/9000 series routers?
I’m trying to find a mid-tier router to connect to smart jack. Due to the way our ISP does networking it has to be a router device.
We could use an L3 switch but I’d rather get a router instead of using router on a stick.

Any alternatives to Cisco for non-sd wan routers? I’m a little out of touch.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Our main ISP uses cheap Juniper SRX boxes as CPE routers, they seem pretty rock solid

DeNofa
Aug 25, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

tadashi posted:

I’m trying to find a mid-tier router to connect to smart jack. Due to the way our ISP does networking it has to be a router device.
We could use an L3 switch but I’d rather get a router instead of using router on a stick.

The ISR4000s are End of Life but aren't dead until 2028, this is a solid box which should be pretty cheap if you want to go Cisco: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/routers/4000-series-integrated-services-routers-isr/select-isr4k-series-platform-eol.html

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Cisco's website is funny, they don't consider themselves to make routers any more. You have to pick SD-WAN and routers are then a subset of that.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Do you really need a "router"? Or is your ISP making poo poo up and you just need an edge device that can speak PPPoE? Because there are several vendors that make firewalls that do full PPPoE while also cranking out multi-gigabit speeds without needing to fork upper five figures over to Cisco for the hardware alone.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

tadashi posted:

What are the hard requirements? Seems odd.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Anyways, you want a Palo Alto or a Juniper SRX.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Patton has CPE devices that will do that as well for another option .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Not Cisco-related but I figured I'd post this here anyway, support for proxy-mode inspection on 2GB RAM FortiGate models is being ended as of FortiOS 7.4.4: https://docs.fortinet.com/document/...elated-features. This change locks you out of quite a few features like ZTNA, explicit/transparent proxies and virtual server load balancing. For production environments it's not really an issue as 7.4 is still a feature branch and not yet a mature branch like 7.0 and 7.2. However if has implications if you want to test newer features or when 7.4 does become a mature branch (Guessing that will happen when 7.6 is released).