Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

CelticPredator posted:

He wasn’t Godzilla yet

This is actually the answer. He's just some guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

They signed Dave Callaham, who wrote Shang-Chi in the MCU

At least he has experience turning the third act into a giant CGI dragon fight.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

McSpanky posted:

At least he has experience turning the third act into a giant CGI dragon fight.

That aside, Shang-Chi had a strong script with a lot of good character bits in them. Ben Kingsley and his not-actually-imaginary-after-all friend were gold.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

mllaneza posted:

That aside, Shang-Chi had a strong script with a lot of good character bits in them. Ben Kingsley and his not-actually-imaginary-after-all friend were gold.

Yeah, maybe that's unfair to put on him, that was probably a studio mandate after all. He's actually a pretty decent choice overall, I'll just never get over how awful that final action sequence turned out. But that clearly won't be a problem here, you don't go into a Monsterverse job not expecting the kaiju fights to take center stage.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Mantis42 posted:

Here's a thought experiment: imagine this same story set in Germany. Where there's no mention of the Holocaust or Naziism, where the biggest criticism of the Nazi regime is "they didn't give us enough armor", where the protagonist regains his honor by driving a super Panzer to defeat an uncomplicated ontological evil that lets the Wehrmacht veterans replay their war service and win this time, and where you never see an occupying allied soldier.

I’m kinda surprised we haven’t gotten a movie about post war nazis fighting a frost giant or a mountain troll or some poo poo.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Just send Jason back in time to slash up nazis

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

ruddiger posted:

I’m kinda surprised we haven’t gotten a movie about post war nazis fighting a frost giant or a mountain troll or some poo poo.

I mean we did get a movie about post-war Nazis fighting against a mutant produced by American military-scientific folly, which was called Captain America.

Muscle Tracer fucked around with this message at 18:52 on May 12, 2024

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

The MCU'ification of the Monsterverse is nearly complete.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Bring back the speech bubbles but fill them with inane quips?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Godzilla x Kong was silly fun. Good vibes, good times. I enjoyed Evil Kong's excessive anime villain posturing. Mothra/Godzilla/Kong being the trinity of Monsterverse is cool. Make them fight Destroyah.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

We are loving blessed to have one of the best serious Godzilla films and one of the best silly Godzilla films come out within 4 months of each other.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I hope they bring back Godzooky, and together with Diddy Kong they get up to mini kaiju shenanigans.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

We are loving blessed to have one of the best serious Godzilla films and one of the best silly Godzilla films come out within 4 months of each other.

Completely agree, I love that we're going full-bore on the Duality of Godzilla.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I liked that interview where both of the directors were talking to each other and Yamazaki is like "there is more than enough room in Godzilla for both."

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Dawgstar posted:

I liked that interview where both of the directors were talking to each other and Yamazaki is like "there is more than enough room in Godzilla for both."

Well, he is pretty big.

And that's a shockingly healthy attitude in this era of megacorporations having disastrous and absurd identity crises and obsessing over concepts of image and brand identity that no one actually gives a poo poo about. Disney probably goes without saying.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Well, he is pretty big.

And that's a shockingly healthy attitude in this era of megacorporations having disastrous and absurd identity crises and obsessing over concepts of image and brand identity that no one actually gives a poo poo about. Disney probably goes without saying.

I agree with you in most cases but there's a respectable amount of people who absolutely do care about Disney's brand identity, for better or worse.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I agree with you in most cases but there's a respectable amount of people who absolutely do care about Disney's brand identity, for better or worse.

So much about Disney makes sense when you realise they're run by Disney Adults.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

As I've mentioned before my cousin works for them and they treat her like trash. She's a great gal but yeah, she's a Disney Adult and they absolutely take advantage of that.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

I have a relative who worked for Disney for a while and was NOT a Disney Adult, and that made them an absolutely awful fit and totally miserable. People will absolutely work 80 hours a week with limited benefits as a contract employee when they think they are making the best thing ever, but if it's just a job, it's not worth it.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
More thoughts as I work through all the movies:

King Kong vs. Godzilla (1962)
Filling in a gap from earlier in my Godzilla journey when this wasn't on streaming. It's still not, but I found a copy. Honestly, a sort of forgettable entry. I will say that it had lot more "feel" of the original Godzilla than some of the later movies I've been watching. I did like the corporate greed angle, which seems like a natural place to go from both Godzilla and Kong being involved. Actual monster fighting was okay but nothing special.
3 out of 5 stars.

Godzilla (2014)
Godzilla (1998)
I'm reviewing these two together because I think it's an interesting juxtaposition. Godzilla 2014 is a beautiful film that lacks any sort of ... heart, or teeth, or anything memorable really. When Godzilla's on screen, great! It's good! But the MUTO? Completely uninspired design when it comes to Kaiju. Holding the MUTO up next to Mothra or Ghidorah or hell even Ebirah, there's just nothing there. It's like a monster designed by focus group. And the whole movie feels like that.
On the flip side of this is Godzilla 1998, which is a garbage film that goes on way too long, BUT, at least it has some soul to it. There are actually memorable and interesting design choices in '98. Aside from that? Garbage. If they made 2014 with the heart and soul of '98, we'd have a winner. I feel like 9/11 is to blame somehow, but I don't have a good explanation yet.
3 stars for Godzilla 2014
2 stars for Godzilla 1998

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Count Thrashula posted:

Godzilla 2014 is a beautiful film that lacks any sort of ... heart, or teeth, or anything memorable really. When Godzilla's on screen, great! It's good! But the MUTO? Completely uninspired design when it comes to Kaiju. Holding the MUTO up next to Mothra or Ghidorah or hell even Ebirah, there's just nothing there. It's like a monster designed by focus group. And the whole movie feels like that.

I don't know what you mean. The HALO jump, the atomic breath power-up, the entire landfall in Hawaii and entrance to airport tarmac sequence: these are all coming to mind right now very easily to name a few.

I agree that the MUTOs are pretty weak in the design department but simply do not understand the "memorable" complaint. It's extremely memorable. Godzilla has some genuine stay-with-you impact scenes in that flick.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I really like the MUTO design. They're sleek and angular and don't look natural at all. They clash well with 2014 Godzilla's naturalistic bear design.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I dont know which movie started the trend of kajiu that all do the gorilla walk with giant forearms like the MUTO. Was it Cloverfield?

At least Pacific Rim's Leatherback had the excuse of literally being a gorilla turtle monster.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i thought the muto was pretty obviously supposed to be not-legally-cloverfield yeah

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

The Mutos are an amazing new design and everything else since has been giant bug/mammal which just digs from the well of Showa era stuff. Their sound design was incredible (along with the rest of the movies sound) and they were insanely memorable.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

See I don't think that design reads very well. Definitely unique and a departure, though, and that deserves some praise. I do agree about the sound design for 'em being bonkers. Great stuff. G14 is really good, even if it gets a little too cutesy with the whole "it's Godzi---hahahaha just kidding" stuff.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I appreciate the escalation of tone Monsterverse took. It went straight Fast and Furious, and I love that.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

teagone posted:

I appreciate the escalation of tone Monsterverse took. It went straight Fast and Furious, and I love that.

:lol: That's what it feels like and explains my dislike. I think I checked out of FF a movie or 2 after the amazing chase scene with the bank vault. It got insane.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Vintersorg posted:

:lol: That's what it feels like and explains my dislike. I think I checked out of FF a movie or 2 after the amazing chase scene with the bank vault. It got insane.

Yeah that's fair, I get that kind of schlock isn't to everyone's liking lol.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Godzilla 2014 is an awesome film that I wish carried over to the rest of the trilogy but ah welp.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Gatts posted:

Godzilla 2014 is an awesome film that I wish carried over to the rest of the trilogy but ah welp.

:agreed:

I’ve never minded the teases of G’s appearance throughout the first two acts. In fact I’d even argue that it’s the only Monsterverse movie that effectively conveys the awe and terror a creature like that would instill precisely because of those teases. It makes his eventual full appearance more satisfying because you’ve spent 2/3rds of the runtime building up to that moment. It’s great. The haters are wrong, sorry not sorry.

In all the other MV stuff he’s just a weightless toy being bashed against other toys.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I still like KOTM :shrug: it kept most of the weight and that made the moments where Big G moves fast appear more frightening.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Big Mean Jerk posted:

:agreed:

I’ve never minded the teases of G’s appearance throughout the first two acts. In fact I’d even argue that it’s the only Monsterverse movie that effectively conveys the awe and terror a creature like that would instill precisely because of those teases.

Can’t post this clip enough:

https://youtu.be/NmCPEWzjl-8?si=SqsirdSpA80wNJRb

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

G'14's biggest gently caress up was the home release being way too loving dark. It looked way better in theaters than the blu disc. At least they fixed it with the UHD, but I don't know if that transfer carried over to other various digital versions.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

I'm not going to call Gareth Edwards an all around brilliant auteur, he's far from it. But Jesus Christ, the level of artistry and skill in his shot design and overall visual feel is in another galaxy compared to the dipshits that came after him.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

I love the cut to a wide shot at the end. It's like the movie is lining everything up to say "Round One. FIGHT!"

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
Finally watched Minus One last week, it was amazing.
Ten minutes into Godzilla x Kong and they've already annoyed me by making Kong a carnivore? Argh!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
He's always been omnivorous in these movies:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKSNR7Q8UdU

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I like the MUTO design. Looks like a stealth fighter mixed with a bat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
Oh, yeah. The only thing I liked in Skull Island was the Iwi culture. Everything in else in it just seems off to me.