Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Arc Hammer posted:

He's always been omnivorous in these movies:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKSNR7Q8UdU

And that itself is a reference to Kong eating an octopus in the 1962 King Kong vs. Godzilla.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

teagone posted:

Yeah that's fair, I get that kind of schlock isn't to everyone's liking lol.

Such a sadness that it isn’t

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Kvantum posted:

And that itself is a reference to Kong eating an octopus in the 1962 King Kong vs. Godzilla.

The Japanese really needed to lay the ground work for tentacle monsters.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The reception to Godzilla '14 was weird since it seemed like it got a lot of flak from people determined to hate it and actively missing the visual themes it was going for and acting like it was all coincidental mistakes. Almost Snyder level brainworms, that the studio thankfully ignored the gently caress out of.

And yeah, the MUTOs are interesting. Probably correct to figure they're clearly drawing on Cloverfield design-wise, but there's a lot of thought put into them- down to their name. IIRC the director went on the record saying they're referred to be species and not named individually because they're designed as a couple, that they're a threat because they team up and work together to fight Godzilla. And I think also to emphasise that they're a species, they are part of a huge crazy kaiju ecosystem, not just one-off freak threats like most kaiju are depicted as, and that sets the tone for the Monsterverse. And their threat comes from the potential to overrun the world with their offspring, and then literally building their nest around a ticking nuke. A literal nuclear family, ha. (And of course the reveal of the nest has the camera enter a door like it's a twisted version of a suburban house)

Comparison to '98 is funny there given the whole thing with the nest of baby Godzillas more or less playing out the same.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The reception to Godzilla '14 was weird since it seemed like it got a lot of flak from people determined to hate it and actively missing the visual themes it was going for and acting like it was all coincidental mistakes. Almost Snyder level brainworms, that the studio thankfully ignored the gently caress out of.

My favorite was complaining about how little Godzilla was in it which was mostly worth of that 'first time?' meme and led to me reading an interesting chart of just how much time the big guy has or does not have on the screen.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I like the MUTOs but I must admit that I always think of that movie as being a Godzilla solo film.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Last month, my dad completely redid his home theater setup. Brand new television. Brand new stereo surround system. I had to break the news to him that if he wanted Dolby Vision, he’d have to upgrade his receiver too, which he did. And then he got the pricier, more compatible UHD player.

He asks me once a day when Minus One is coming out. Toho, do the needful.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Detective No. 27 posted:

Last month, my dad completely redid his home theater setup. Brand new television. Brand new stereo surround system. I had to break the news to him that if he wanted Dolby Vision, he’d have to upgrade his receiver too, which he did. And then he got the pricier, more compatible UHD player.

He asks me once a day when Minus One is coming out. Toho, do the needful.

Sail the seven seas imo.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
For anyone who has done that, does the currently released version have subtitles and if so do they still refer to propeller planes as fighter jets?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Arc Hammer posted:

For anyone who has done that, does the currently released version have subtitles and if so do they still refer to propeller planes as fighter jets?

I don't remember seeing anything about jets but there are easily found subtitles online

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Theatrical cut had subtitles which referred to every plane in the film as a fighter jet and it gnawed at the part of my brain allocated to identifying WW2 fighter aircraft.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Didnt notice. Didnt care. Saw Godzilla and life was good imo

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Kvantum posted:

'86 Kong was snacking down on fistfuls of alligators like they were twizzlers and even ate some hunter guy who pissed him off

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Like a huge theme of the Monsterverse is that as part of an ecosystem, kaiju do things that animals do including prey on each other, vie for dominance, establish and maintain territory, and even form social bonds. The MUTOs whole thing is having a parasitic wasp type reproductive method that uses Godzilla's species to feed their young. (Though a nuke will apparently do) It's one of the most interesting aspects, specifically focusing on the context in which they live, not just being one-off freaks rampaging in rage and confusion, and the plots of several of the movies even revolve around studying and understanding their behaviour, and using that understanding to try to predict and even manipulate their behaviour.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

The MUTO's are honestly my favorite new Kaiju of the last decade, easily better than anything Pacific Rim or the rest of the Monsterverse has put out.

Skull Crawlers are a distant second, with anything else, especially Shimo and Skar, being at the absolute bottom of the barrel.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023
Crabby the Crab was pretty sweet.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I would probably put the Skullcrawlers above the MUTOs. Skar King also had some charisma and a cool weapon but is a total fraud. Shimo was bland. I think Hollywood is better at designing Kong style monsters that lean into that primal aesthetic than they are at generating Toho style kaiju.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

PriorMarcus posted:

The MUTO's are honestly my favorite new Kaiju of the last decade, easily better than anything Pacific Rim or the rest of the Monsterverse has put out.

Skull Crawlers are a distant second, with anything else, especially Shimo and Skar, being at the absolute bottom of the barrel.

I'm still a sucker for Jean Jacket.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm still a sucker for Jean Jacket.

Huh, I hadn't considered Jean Jacket a Kaiju until now, but you're 100% right that they are.

drat. That complicates the top spot considerably.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Arc Hammer posted:

Yes and yes and it also has bothered the poo poo out of me since I first saw that.

Edit: I thought the MUTOs were fine if not particularly interesting. I guess my disappointment with them is that their strange, angular looks wasn't offset enough with enough biological looking aspects to it (for example the Heisei Gyaos had it's flat, arrow shaped head but that was in tandem with horrible skin and eyes) which seemed more like an engineered creature instead of a biological one. It was a big disappointment considering the first teaser showed the remains of a colossal centipede kaiju, which sets off a deep seated insect fear that would have been great to watch,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpUqmZNnmFc

edit 2:

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

'86 Kong was snacking down on fistfuls of alligators like they were twizzlers and even ate some hunter guy who pissed him off

lol was this the one where Kong's mate gave birth to a baby that fit in their palms

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 13:37 on May 16, 2024

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

See I don't think that design reads very well. Definitely unique and a departure, though, and that deserves some praise. I do agree about the sound design for 'em being bonkers. Great stuff. G14 is really good, even if it gets a little too cutesy with the whole "it's Godzi---hahahaha just kidding" stuff.

Yeah I think MUTO would be a lot better if they weren't both just pure black. A more interesting color scheme, and especially different color schemes on the different MUTOs would be a huge improvement.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Count Thrashula posted:

Godzilla (1998)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Gripweed posted:

Yeah I think MUTO would be a lot better if they weren't both just pure black. A more interesting color scheme, and especially different color schemes on the different MUTOs would be a huge improvement.

The Muto that makes a brief appearance in KOTM looks a lot better with the more aggressive glowing red highlights.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

:xd:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://x.com/wario64/status/1791144919207227868?s=46&t=I-gsjpvNkUNcOBofs8OOkQ

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/SXR123/status/1791264473501589553?t=DkZLsvY_b1ncD6oMQVMQDA&s=19

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/KaijuNewsOutlet/status/1791455096913445195?t=Z4cMi7u5TQ29K4p55YwThA&s=19

Oh man look at those necks.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Gatts posted:

Godzilla 2014 is an awesome film that I wish carried over to the rest of the trilogy but ah welp.

It did its job - put the GOD back in Godzilla.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

CelticPredator posted:

Such a sadness that it isn’t

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtXkD1BC564

Does anyone here have Hiya figures in person? The price point on these is loving amazing - I have a SH King G from Heisei already so if they do the Showa version for just $100 I may jump on that if it's good.

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

edit 2:

lol was this the one where Kong's mate gave birth to a baby that fit in their palms

:lol: Yeah, King Kong Lives - my brother and I loved that loving movie. At one point the main 2 human characters get so turned on watching King Kong and his wife get cozy they gently caress in the camp. Kong is loving crazy in this too - lots of blood and beating up humans. Loved that movie. Probably doesnt' stand up to adult eyes but that's okay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqsAlK44g84

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 17:51 on May 17, 2024

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Oh gently caress. If he walks in the restaurant we're gonna need a lot of sushi.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Vintersorg posted:

Does anyone here have Hiya figures in person? The price point on these is loving amazing - I have a SH King G from Heisei already so if they do the Showa version for just $100 I may jump on that if it's good.

I have some of the Legendary figures (Godzilla, Ghidorah and Rhodan with more on the way) and some of their Alien line. They are great. You can buy with confidence.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Vintersorg posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtXkD1BC564

:lol: Yeah, King Kong Lives - my brother and I loved that loving movie. At one point the main 2 human characters get so turned on watching King Kong and his wife get cozy they gently caress in the camp. Kong is loving crazy in this too - lots of blood and beating up humans. Loved that movie. Probably doesnt' stand up to adult eyes but that's okay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqsAlK44g84

My friends and I watched it when it came out and we were laughing the entire time. I haven't seen it since.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Isn’t that where he gets a weird heart or something

Haven’t seen it but heard the stories lol

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

King Kong Lives has a lot of monster scenes that take place in a wide-open landscape, making it resemble a later-period Showa Godzilla film.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

CelticPredator posted:

Isn’t that where he gets a weird heart or something

Haven’t seen it but heard the stories lol

Yeah. :lol: The opening scene is first a recap of him getting shot from the Empire State Building. Then it closes in on a facility where Kong is hooked up to a bunch of medical equipment and they perform open heart surgery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBrikJrLWkw

As a kid I thought this was deadly serious.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
I finally got around to Kong 3 and, while I expected 'stupid', nobody told me it would be hideous. I despise the way this movie looks.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/14_kaiju/status/1791251581327044836?t=dXOZWHB4zVOtFFrHvQoqzg&s=19

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I finally got around to Kong 3 and, while I expected 'stupid', nobody told me it would be hideous. I despise the way this movie looks.

I thought the trailer looked like poo poo but care to give any more detailed thoughts?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Fukkin' a great casting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

DeimosRising posted:

I thought the trailer looked like poo poo but care to give any more detailed thoughts?

You already are gonna hate it so what’s the point lol.