Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I wonder if they are going to try and pad out stand-alone episodes into multi-episode arcs or even worse combine them all into giant arc. Although, I suspect they are at least going to have things keep on tying back to vicious for no good reason.

I think at worst they're gonna just do hints and glimpses of Spike's past when he gets broody and use Ballad of Fallen Angels for the season finale. They've also thrown out a pretty wide variety of villains from standalone episodes, so I doubt it''ll be arc-based. Maybe a two-parter or two for some of them?

Arist posted:

It absolutely looks incredibly hokey and silly.

I think that's a good and appropriate tone to take.

I mean, the woman with the afro is from Mushroom Samba, one of the silliest episodes in the show. I think going hokey and silly is a great way to take it too, and I'm actually looking forward to it a little more after that trailer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Natural 20 posted:

I doubt Remake our life will get a second season but it was easily my favourite anime of the summer.
I like that they finally bridge that dumb poo poo about Shinoaki and the burnt out artist in the future and then we just leave it without seeing anything come of it.

LitGuy being a dumbass really tanked the last part.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Ending of Remake was definitely kind of abrupt. Feels like they straight-up ran out of airtime, and if you told me there was another episode I would absolutely believe you. Still really enjoyed the show, Kawasegawa number one with a bullet

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I hope it gets another season or at least (probably) an OVA. It was an enjoyable ride that went in directions I wasn't expecting.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i wont doomsay about live action cowboy bebop but i also don't really see the point to its existence in any way and frankly the op just being live action tank is making me feel that stronger. i dont want live action mushroom samba i want a show with a creative identity that isn't just reused directly from a better show in a format that fits it less. hell give me a bebop spinoff that's just its own original story, at least then i'd see a theoretical reason to its existence

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
:same:

The fact the intro looks like someone's first After Effects project doesn't inspire hope.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

i think that them making the intro being a (bad) attempt at the anime's intro was a shot in the foot. right out of the gate we're comparing their show to an extremely iconic, fantastic part of the original anime

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
I kinda view the live action OP as one of those things where the nature of an adaptation of Bebop kinda meant there was like a very slim chance they don’t get reamed by people even more harshly for doing something other than what they did.

I still don’t think it’s good, and what little hope I had for it definitely dimished because if they’re trying to recreate the OP shot by shot, who’s to say that they won’t try to just recreate the other parts of the series in a similarly clunky and janky way.

Like I don’t want to see the neat last episode ending action sequence of Bebop, but this time Vicious looks even more like a dweeb and all impact of the action is flaccid.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I think it's kind of perfect, honestly. It's weird and cheap and goofy, but that's a pretty good understanding of the show's tone. I was worried they were going to Netflix serialize it to hell instead of letting it be episodic and those fears have been totally allayed.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I liked the OP. It builds on the original for the new format with the rogues gallery, while still understanding what made the original OP work stylistically.

The other key thing to remember in regards to copying scenes from the anime series; Most of the people who'll be watching the Netflix version haven't seen those original scenes before.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
My issue with the Netflix OP clip is that it's such clear evidence that the production team doesn't have the technical competence or sense of style to pull this project off. There's a weird lack of "filmic" quality to the shots, making it seem more like a livestream of cosplayers posing awkwardly on a stage. That's why there's been a flood of comments mentioning "student club" or "fan-made". Unlike other live-action adaptations of illustrated stuff, be it Sin City or 300 or whatever, these Bebop visuals don't convince me that the characters can inhabit their highly stylized world.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

The summer season is over, dictation software is online, it's time for too many words on the shows I watched!

Getter Robo Arc: If nothing else this was… Ambitious…

Yeah, it was ugly as sin. The CG was not particularly graceful CG, the traditional animation was rarely pretty, most of the action sequences were kind of bad, and they in no ways did justice by the absolutely gorgeous stuff that Ken Ishikawa put in the manga series he drew later in his life, but it almost didn't matter? This is, after all, Getter Robo, a series that has always defined itself in large part by its edginess. And there was definitely edge in the series, but more than that there was definitely Getter Robo-ness in the series. I say this is ambitious because the series took upon itself to transform the original manga into a much bigger, much more cohesive anime series. Getter Robo Arc brought back every supporting character and concept from the previous entries it could get its hands on, it massively expanded every single thing or person that appeared in the comic and then some, it explained and justified and codified and expanded drat near everything that happened in that series. It recut the whole thing together into a much bigger affair. Let nobody say the series wasn't a labor of love, the drive and mania behind the show could only have come from people who REALLY wanted to finally tell this story in its best possible form as they could imagine it. And then… It got to the ending.

If you aren't knowledgeable about Mecha anime in the context you need is that the manga of Getter Robo Arc ended on a massive cliffhanger that has loomed over the franchise for just about the last two decades now. Getter Robo as a franchise more or less stopped having conclusive endings, and while some of that may be justified in the themes and concepts of the series, I think the move towards open or incomplete endings is largely because Getter Robo Arc had such a profoundly huge cliffhanger nobody was really sure where to take the series after the original author tragically passed away before he could come back and finish the story. And the anime? It's complicated. Without going into the very specific, very deep spoilers the anime of Arc ended on an incomplete cliffhanger, but it was an incomplete cliffhanger that at the very least felt more satisfying than what the manga had. The endpoint of the series is further ahead, and the final conclusion of who and where and what feels a lot more justified than what was originally the manga.

Getter Robo Arc didn't bring the saga to a conclusion and it didn't fully dispel the shadow of Mecha's most infamous non-ending, but it is probably the best imaginable version of this story and I'll salute it, warts and all.

To Your Eternity: This show had a barnburner of an opening and a barnburner of closing and a middle that was much more up and down. It was interesting, it was compelling, and it didn't work all the way and I'm not totally sure if that's a failure of adaptation or failure of the original source material. As with most adaptations it was probably more than one thing, but I can say with near certainty that adaptation foibles played a huge role in what happened here, looking solely at the stuff that could've only been in the anime there are numerous chunks of To Your Eternity which stand as helpful examples of how not to adapt a work. There are a lot of sequences that feel badly adapted or framed from the original work, a number of big moments don't have enough impact, and the pacing is just not great. I think they had enough material for about 17 episodes and the show ran for 20 and the result is that a lot of the later episodes really feel like they're dragging their feet.

And yet I am really interested in the second season. Even if many of the emotional beats were muddled or muffled, even if the pacing was too slow for even the weird, introspective tone the show is going for, even if it took way too long to get going with protagonist, it was still a compelling watch and a compelling story. I actually do want to see more of this, the flaws in the show did not in any way chase me off, and I think even if the direction and production doesn't manage to really improve itself I still want to watch it. I can't really say I've seen much like this, and I definitely want to see more. And of the show gets it together I think that second season will be spectacular…

Spirit Chronicles: This show sucked.

I heard somewhere (and I can't confirm this and I'm not sure if it's true anymore) that Spirit Chronicles was a fairly early isekai series, and if so then maybe it has some value as a kind of cultural mile marker, like an early work of literature one of those early post-Tolkien pre-DND fantasy novels written before the genre fully cooled. If Spirit Chronicles does have that kind of archeo-literary worth then it'll be about the only thing of merit in this whole, dumb affair. This isn't just a generic as hell isekai, it's a profoundly LAZY as hell isekai, yet it's also a series that is hilariously pompous and self serious. The whole show carries itself like it's some godly masterpiece of anime (it isn't), and sometimes that makes it occasionally hilarious. My favorite moment from whole affair was the ending of episode three when they play sad meaningful music over a montage of what were probably important and emotional moments for the MC, but I was mostly cackling because it had literally been three episodes and the relationship the montage was about was tepid and lacked chemistry, and most of the scenes they chose for the montage happened in that same episode not minutes ago, and it was just completely hilarious the show really seemed to expect the audience to be super into and moved by a weakly portrayed setting and a couple of ciphers who had some tepid scenes together.

Yeah, the cast sucked. I got serious Kirito vibes from the lead: he's the specialest person ever, he is immediately the best of everything, all the women want him, all the men are jealous or want to be him, he travels through a vague series of disconnected settings where he gets one or more girls who want to be in his harem, his character flits around as necessary displaying whatever traits are necessary for the plot at the moment with no consistency, he has a couple of genuinely interesting concepts behind him that could inform his character or add depth to him that are left by the wayside and largely ignored, he's actually kind of an rear end in a top hat but that's never addressed by the series of people and it, and more than anything he's just dull. I get that this all comes with the territory, but man alive was this guy BORING. The one thing I can say in his favor is that he's anti-slavery, and man is that damning someone with faint praise and man does it say something about this genre you even NEED to say that.

Drugstore In Another World: This was a slight series, it's not very memorable, it was funny but not THAT funny, but I don't really regret watching it. This was my "easy watching" of choice for the season, and from that perspective it worked. The whole thing was basically a prop comedy, some goofy sitcom anime character pops in with a problem and then after a while main guy comes up with an idea, there's an amusing little "making medicine" montage sequence (which was the standout of the whole show), and then it's done and the problem is solved after making a couple of jokes using or related to the medicine. Repeat for 12 episodes.

It's a 5.5 or so out of 10, it doesn't do anything to really stand out or shine, but maintains itself at a steady level and never does anything to ruin the easy-going vibe it's aiming for. There's a couple of horny gags, but the series actually has a degree of taste by having them clearly applied of people who are of age and keeping that particular brand of comedy very explicitly away from the clearly underage werewolf girl. Said girl is clearly positioned as the MC's adopted daughter, their relationship is treated as entirely familial, and the only person who is actually attracted to her romantically is also a kid and it is framed as explicitly being between kids and not actually serious in any way. And once again it should say a little bit about this genre that not creeping on a little girl is notable enough to be worth mentioning.

Pretty decent supporting cast as well.

Moonlit Fantasy: This one was a surprise. It has many of the same basic trappings you'd come to expect out of an isekai story, an incredibly overpowered MC, a bunch of ladies who all want him, and we are in the post slime era so the protagonist also ends up the ruler of a country, and yet despite that the show actually managed to feel different and interesting and worth watching.

The main character is ridiculously strong, but he actually has a pretty cool power set and probably more time is spent talking about his problems and limitations than talking up how strong is. He's also a pretty well-rounded character and there's a lot to him besides the inherent isekai power fantasy stuff, and his dynamic with the rest of the cast is compelling. He does have a pair of women retainers who are both really insanely strong and REALLY into him, and that's actually uncomfortable for him because he doesn't return their feelings at all in that way and also the two of them despite being super strong aren't wholly reliable in their own idiosyncratic ways. More importantly, all the supporting cast around him actually have an independent existence besides him; they all have their own agendas and their own desires and they aren't all in agreement and conflict emerges between them and they frequently go off and do things on their own or behind his back and run plot lines that are not directly related to the protagonist. In other words the cast actually exist as, you know, CHARACTERS in the story. And he does have his own country, but he's also clearly a figureheard and what said contrary actually is is kind of interesting and how it works is thought out and internally consistent and what they do with it is pretty novel.

I am way on board for the next season whenever it comes out.

Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid S: It's another season of Maidragon. You probably don't need me to tell you about the show, right? If you're in this thread, on this forum, at this time, reading these words you probably already know about the show and have an opinion on it.

Nonetheless, it's another season of Maidragon, and what I mean by that is that it has all the good and bad that the first season had because the show did start as it meant to go on. Yes, it can be skeezy and uncomfortable and frustrating because of it, but it can also be incredibly insightful and entertaining and introspective. It has a cast of characters who all have a baseline joke that it then runs with to tell excellent stories about that demonstrate an almost needless amount of thought and nuance. The writing of the show remains bizarrely good and consistently on point, whenever people talk seriously or explore their feelings it's always incredibly compelling and the show is absolutely sublime when talking about the complications of society or relationships. And it also tells a number of really sketchy jokes with and about its underage characters and otherwise.

It's Maidragon. They definitely do a lot more to expand on the cast of the season, but it remains Maidragon. If you take it at all you gotta take the good with the bad.

Here's the biggy:

Digimon Adventure 20: So this finally sputtered out to an end this weekend and thank god for that because at this point the show was EXHAUSTED. I'll say that the show seemed to try right at the very end, this last episode was about the best possible final episode the show could muster at this point, and it would probably be pretty close to the final episode in a better version of the show that managed to fulfill its potential, but one good episode cannot carry the weight of the 67 episode series and so it goes.

The thing that absolutely killed Adventure 20 was a complete failure to use the cast well, and that's miserable for a Digimon series as their casts have traditionally been their strongest points. The original Digimon Adventure didn't have the budget for cool action so the show instead spent most of its time talking and doing things with its characters, and the result is a cast of extremely well done characters that have endured for over two decades. Adventure 20 is a remake and it knows how beloved these characters are, and indeed it leans on that remembrance heavily; this show uses the original series as a crutch to try and hide from the fact that it did drat near nothing with the entire cast. There are about three characters (Mimi, Jou, and Hikari) that the show runners actually seemed to like, and that it feels like they treated the rest of the cast as a burden.

There is unmistakably more energy and drive behind an episode about one of the characters somebody liked than there is in an episode about anyone else, and that is a crying shame. Doubly so because Taichi is one of those unlike characters and he's loving everywhere, around episode 20 the show basically stopped having episodes without him. As a general rule from that point on whatever anyone has an episode about them, there's a Taichi scene on standby to eat up at least a minute. Making it more annoying is that the show doesn't do anything more with Taichi than it does with anyone else, heck they might actually do LESS with him than anyone else. Despite being perpetually present, the show does nothing to characterize him. Even though he's always there the series doesn't actually DO anything with him. But the show does make sure that he is constantly present even at places he shouldn't be for events that are irrelevant to him where he mostly does nothing, even in the episodes that are sloppy enough that he should have made a difference.

And to that last part, by the end of the show what really stood out was how absolutely dead tired the whole thing was. The production felt absolutely weary, just about the entire final cour of the show had this overriding sense that the people behind were doing it for the paycheck. A lot of those episodes felt like first or second drafts, the show had officially given up trying to be good and settled on good enough and sent it out and shipped it. There are a couple of episodes that have really stupidly obvious plot holes that could have been filled and if anybody cared, I don't think anybody did…

There's also the overriding problem that nobody actually interacts with each other. The kids have scenes with their partners, or with whatever the Digimon of the week is, but they basically never interact with each other. If Hikari didn't call Taichi "big brother" all the time you would have no indication for most of the middle episodes of the show that they are related at all, much less siblings. Meanwhile there is only a SINGLE episode that is about both Yamato and Takeru, which seems completely insane to me considering how much their relationship and the divorce of their parents underlined their characters in the original. Part of that might be the pandemic, this is a show with 16 lead actors and it may be that health reasons prevented them from actually getting together and doing things as a group. The show got put on hiatus for five months and when he came back they very quickly split the group, and then split the group again, and then split the group again, and then basically acted like they had split the group once again, and then they actually did split the group again and then for the final battle they split the group. I don't think there was even a group shot of the kids in the epilogue. Of course even if the vast emptiness between the characters was due to the pandemic that still doesn't justify the show's overall production falling apart at the seams or completely mismanaging its own budget so badly episode 48 happened. And of course, it doesn't justify that the show basically stopped trying by the end.

The whole affair wasn't completely without bright spots of course, many of the new Digimon designs were good and most the supporting Digimon characters were great including my personal MVP for the show, the coolest Garbamon ever. The show also did way more with Devimon than the original did, he was actually a tantalizingly interesting character and I truly wish the show had been able to do more with him. It was also impressive that they got back the original actors for basically every supporting Digimon character, and all of them totally nailed it. And, as bad as the show mishandled its cast every single character had at least one legitimately great episode to their name, some even all-timers for the franchise.

The shame of it kind of doesn't matter at the end of the day. A very strong start and a handful of good episodes can't carry an entire series, especially a series that ran for five and a half cours. The show wrapped at 67 episodes and it became a real slog by not even halfway mark. You occasionally see glimmers of what it could have been, what it should have been. Once in a while the show remembers it started with interesting alternate takes on the cast, and you remember that once upon a time the show felt like it had promise and direction. You remember when it moved purposefully and it had all those callbacks and it made those grace notes and it demonstrated a kind of understanding of Digimon's matured history and cosmology and mythology, and you remember what an exhausted, worn-out, tired thing the show became, and you get sad all over again. What a waste.

Digimon Adventure 20: it was an even numbered season of Digimon.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I liked the OP. It builds on the original for the new format with the rogues gallery, while still understanding what made the original OP work stylistically.

The other key thing to remember in regards to copying scenes from the anime series; Most of the people who'll be watching the Netflix version haven't seen those original scenes before.

jeez man now you're just making me feel bad for these theoretical people

kater
Nov 16, 2010

In honor of someone saying anime was good and people should watch it I hit play when scrolling past Toradora! And it is really good I’ve watched a lot of it this weekend.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
That dumb shot for shot remake made me wonder if they were going to make the whole show have bits of cartoon surreality (they smoke cigars but all the smoke is animated CGI cels!)
Like this but bad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVz_uZljJsg

kater posted:

In honor of someone saying anime was good and people should watch it I hit play when scrolling past Toradora! And it is really good I’ve watched a lot of it this weekend.
It's a pretty sweet show, overall.

Less saccharine than HoriMiya.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Sep 26, 2021

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Ready to declare that Aquatope is the most heterosexual show of summer 2021.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

so paworks finally made something good again then

marumaru
May 20, 2013

kater posted:

Toradora is fun

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Strange Quark posted:

strong competition from kageki shoujo but i guess that just had the lesbian gyaru power up scene

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Strange Quark posted:

what happened

Willo567 fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Sep 26, 2021

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Willo567 posted:

what happened

presumably, romantic and/or sexual interactions between men and women

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Aquatrope constantly reminds us that hey wouldn't Kukuru and Fuka make great sisters and whenever Kai is on screen it goes the extra mile on showing that he does have feelings for Kukuru. It's annoying and frustrating but like is 3rd or 4th on my list of issues with the show now given just how messy everything is

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Aquatrope constantly reminds us that hey wouldn't Kukuru and Fuka make great sisters and whenever Kai is on screen it goes the extra mile on showing that he does have feelings for Kukuru. It's annoying and frustrating but like is 3rd or 4th on my list of issues with the show now given just how messy everything is

Now I want an anti-ship anime that goes out of its way to frustrate anyone trying to imagine a non-canon relationship.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Ditching my flight to Tokyo last minute to run outside and see my friend again and declare that yes, I will be there for her as her big sister.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

should i blame this on the fact that China will ban any content that looks like it promotes homosexuality, or is that factor non-existent

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Willo567 posted:

should i blame this on the fact that China will ban any content that looks like it promotes homosexuality, or is that factor non-existent

bro china has made gay anime of their own. spiritpact has two men kiss on screen multiple times

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Willo567 posted:

1) the following is a picture from a chinese game:

2) i do not think aquatope is aimed at a broad chinese market

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Strange Quark posted:

Ditching my flight to Tokyo last minute to run outside and see my friend again and declare that yes, I will be there for her as her big sister.

lmao

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
I'm feeling vindicated after dropping aquatope early on

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Komi-San's OP is out!

https://streamable.com/5ew4dj

IT RULES

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Sep 27, 2021

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Strange Quark posted:

bro china has made gay anime of their own. spiritpact has two men kiss on screen multiple times

Endorph posted:

1) the following is a picture from a chinese game:

I thought China has extremely tight censorship laws, not to mention stuff like this happening

https://variety.com/2021/global/asia/china-cissy-idols-effeminate-men-entertainment-industry-1235055304/

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

:siren: STOP THE PRESSES THERE'S AN 8-MINUTE PREVIEW OF KOMI-SAN EPISODE 1 :siren:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

those laws exist primarily to punish specific outliers the government already has a problem with, they arent at all applied uniformly. the chinese government also seems to be mostly concerned with live-action television and pop stars/actors, not anime or games. the current push is relatively recent so its hard to say how it will shake out but, for instance, several yuri and bl anime have official releases in china, such as bloom into you and citrus. there are some edits for sexual content, but none made to disguise the characters' sexuality.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

KillHour posted:

Now I want an anti-ship anime that goes out of its way to frustrate anyone trying to imagine a non-canon relationship.

finally, a new idea to save anime's meta! a comphet anime that is both ironic, and subversive

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Colonel posted:

finally, a new idea to save anime's meta! a comphet anime that is both ironic, and subversive

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

honestly thought that was what the post was responding to at first

kater
Nov 16, 2010

KillHour posted:

Aquatope is deffo this, in addition to summoning a fetus ghost to ungay the holding-hands-in-front-of-mom lead couple they even have a character loudly tell everyone around him how much he dislikes women and likes to drink with guys only to give him a tragic bullied by hotties backstory explaining how not gay he is.

kater fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Sep 27, 2021

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

kater posted:

Aquatope is deffo this, in addition to summoning a fetus ghost to ungay the holding-hands-in-front-of-mom lead couple they even have a character loudly tell everyone around him how much he dislikes women and likes to drink with guys only to give him a tragic bullied by hotties backstory explaining how not gay he is.

That sounds anti-gay not anti-ship. I guess it sucks if you're exclusively into shipping same-sex relationships but I mean an anime where everybody is explicitly in a relationship (or single by choice) and never has any ambiguous situations or feelings towards anyone else. 3 people will watch it it will be great.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

KillHour posted:

That sounds anti-gay not anti-ship. I guess it sucks if you're exclusively into shipping same-sex relationships but I mean an anime where everybody is explicitly in a relationship (or single by choice) and never has any ambiguous situations or feelings towards anyone else. 3 people will watch it it will be great.

there are of plenty of these series though? just don't watch stuff full of horny teens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

KillHour posted:

ive seen shows like that and i assure you people still have ships