Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

elf help book posted:

Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth (122 hours, 76/88 Johnny Trophies)

Absolute God Tier gaming

gently caress yeah. Im close, right at the end of ch 13 tonifhr but idk if that means I have 2 or 12 hours left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

14. Final Fantasy Legend III

I played the hell out of this in the 90's. This time around I actually used transformations, and I kept everyone on autofight for the whole game just to see how smart the feature is. Turns out the devs put a fair amount of effort into it, your dudes generally use items and spells as needed and only occasionally waste turns defending. Being able to remove spells as you learn better ones is a big help here. A nice little nuance is that autodudes can make their decisions in the middle of a round, e.g. if an ally gets petrified before they move they'll use a Soft immediately. Cool.

bees x1000 fucked around with this message at 05:21 on May 14, 2024

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

15. Castlevania (NES), 5/14

God I loving suck more than I remember at this game. Just like I figured, I barely fuckin died until the stage 12 or so and then I consistently get my rear end kicked and that final stretch to get to Death is brutal

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

10. Final Fantasy VII Rebirth. Absolutely loved it. God what a game. I can't wait for part 3 .

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Arrhythmia posted:

Animal Well

Cool little metroidvania, without much combat. You play as a little bouncy ball and get four macguffins and then end the game. The plot is, if you couldn't tell, a little sparse. What makes it neat is that none of the upgrades are standard metroidvania fare- there's no double jump for instance. The game has great aesthetics and music, though I found the music during the final boss a little grating. Apparently the game had an ARG that I will be looking up the solution for post-haste. I also got roughly 1/4 of the secret eggs, so there's way more left for me to do.

Probably a bit expensive for what it is. If you can get it for 25% off then do so.

I got all the eggs and then looked up the bunnies and half of them are bonkers ARG poo poo.

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

Sonic CD -- I like how the evil generators give you a reason to explore and learn the maps; there really isn't one in sonic 1 or 2. It takes awhile to find the past marker in each zone and look for a way to sustain enough speed to warp. I'm glad the game saves after each boss and there are unlimited continues.

The levels are mostly good but I didn't like Collision Chaos and Wacky Workbench. The bonus stages are almost great but it's a little too hard to see obstacles in the path and judge your distance from ufos.

Overall more interesting than 1 or 2 : this is a mature thinking-man's sonic befiting an expensive cd addon.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Frenz posted:

Sonic CD -- I like how the evil generators give you a reason to explore and learn the maps; there really isn't one in sonic 1 or 2. It takes awhile to find the past marker in each zone and look for a way to sustain enough speed to warp. I'm glad the game saves after each boss and there are unlimited continues.

The levels are mostly good but I didn't like Collision Chaos and Wacky Workbench. The bonus stages are almost great but it's a little too hard to see obstacles in the path and judge your distance from ufos.

Overall more interesting than 1 or 2 : this is a mature thinking-man's sonic befiting an expensive cd addon.

Thank you.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
I'm a moron who likes to hold right.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

elf help book posted:

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Frenz posted:

Well done.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I'm a mature thinking-man.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

elf help book posted:

I'm holding a baseball bat outside your house to preven tthis.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

elf help book posted:

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

final fantasy adventure

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Frenz posted:

Haroom. Indeed,

elf help book posted:

hell yeah

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

06. Castlevania - Rondo of Blood (PC Engine CD)

this game was loving sick, i think it's easily the best classic Castlevania game. pretty tough at some points, Shaft and Death in particular were brutal. but coming into it immediately after playing the first game on NES helped a lot i think.

you can see how this game influenced SOTN and all the following Igavanias - really refined and established the art style and overall aesthetic and to a lesser extent the controls. this plays a lot more smoothly than IV and the NES games but it's not as fluid as SOTN or the others that followed. Rondo bridges the gap between both generations really well.

playing IV now which is a big sloppy mess by comparison, but still a decent game. lots of early SNES gimmick garbage in there though. think i'll try Bloodlines after IV as i've never played it before.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

SOTN opening with the final fight with Dracula from Rondo was such an awesome choice lol

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Bicyclops posted:

Haroom. Indeed,

hell yeah

lol

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Staffer Case

A cool mystery game that came out last month. Looks like it's intended to be the start of a new series. I enjoyed it a lot so I hope they continue with it.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

Haroom. Indeed,

hell yeah

Cool lol

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
System Shock 2

I wanted this fresh in my mind before I play the SS1 remake, and it holds up great. I assume this had the same sound engineers as Thief 1 and 2 since it was mostly the same developers, but they really knew what they were doing.

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

yeah system shock 2 may have my overall favorite sound design of any game. still get hyped thinking about hearing xerxes and hybrids over the med-sci music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjE9tvPTd0s

Boofy
Sep 11, 2001

1. robocop: rogue city
2. trepang2
3. halo: reach
4. final fantasy 7 remake intergrade
5. long gone days
6. command & conquer: renegade
7. hypnospace outlaw
8. party hard
9. alpha protocol

had not played this since i beat it on xbox 360 around release. it's an absolute goofy blast. rough around the edges in ways that i frankly dont care about when i consider how fun everything is. can't wait to replay it and make different choices to see how wildly poo poo can play out.

thanks to dendy, for good sig

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

13) shining force 2

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

42) super mario world 2: yoshi's island (snes)

Mario, the red-capped plumber of Super Mario World, wasn't always a plumber. At one time, he was a baby plumber, kidnapped with his twin by the evil Kamek. Luckily, Mario fell to an island ruled by Yoshi, a lovable green dinosaur who courageously decided to reunite Mario with his twin. Carrying young Mario on his back, Yoshi travels through eight weird worlds, scarfing down Kamek's bad guys and turning them into bullet-like eggs. There's plenty of hidden tunnels to explore for bonuses, but make sure Baby Mario doesn't fall off Yoshi's back! You can save your progress throughout this awesome adventure, and it's a good thing. Reach the end, and you'll get the answer to the age-old question: Who is Mario's twin? It's an answer worth waiting for.

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

Sonic the Hedgehog 3

A nice improvement on sonic 2. The new shield powerups are good but I couldn't hold on to them long enough to do anything cool. I wish it had a level where tails flies the plane.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
1. Arcade Archives: Mystic Warriors (Nintendo Switch, Spyros 1CC, 646k points)
2. Sega Tetris (1998, Dreamcast, 1CC)
3. Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney (Trilogy version)
4. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney – Dual Destinies (Trilogy version)
5. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney – Spirit of Justice (Trilogy version)
6. Gradius III (SNES, Hard difficulty, 1CC, reached 2-2)
7. Felix the Cat (NES)
8. Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble! ("TUFST" mode, 105%)

9 hours and some change of total playtime. fantastic game. atrociously bad true final boss. weird but cool true ending. my rating is IMMORTAL MONKEY

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

15. Path of Achra

Got a win in the full release, in the second cycle/second difficulty level. I threw dozens of summon spam builds into the grinder before clearing with a tengu who flooded entire floors with lightning and fire.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

1-20: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=4050853&perpage=40&pagenumber=17#post537514857

21. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
22. Sonic the Hedgehog
23. Sonic CD
24. Sonic the Hedgehog 2
25. Little Nightmares
26. Disco Elysium
27. Little Nightmares II
28. Last Epoch
29. Star Wars Dark Forces Remastered
30. Persona 3 Reload
31. Stray
32. Wonderful 101: Remastered
33. Hi-Fi Rush

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Roth posted:

1-20: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=4050853&perpage=40&pagenumber=17#post537514857

21. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
22. Sonic the Hedgehog
23. Sonic CD
24. Sonic the Hedgehog 2
25. Little Nightmares
26. Disco Elysium
27. Little Nightmares II
28. Last Epoch
29. Star Wars Dark Forces Remastered
30. Persona 3 Reload
31. Stray
32. Wonderful 101: Remastered
33. Hi-Fi Rush

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Punished Chuck posted:

Alpha Protocol. Recruit background, went through with the aggressive dialogue choices, played it more like a shooter than a stealth game with heavy armor and maxed-out assault rifle and toughness skills, killed basically everyone it would let me kill with only a few exceptions. I played this game though maybe four times within a fairly short period when it was still new and haven't played since so it was really nice to revisit it. I really love this game, it seems like everything you do and say has some kind of effect on how something plays out in the future and every run is different as a result, I'm looking forward to going back through with Veteran background and playing it like a proper stealth game and not just crashing through every level and doing everything as bluntly as possible.

Did it again, with the veteran background this time. Suave dialogue path, Scarlet romance, stealthy, mostly nonlethal. Finally managed to kill Marburg in the museum for the first time, something I've been wanting to do since 2010 or whenever. Great game, makes me want to revisit New Vegas or Tyranny or some other Obsidian game, or maybe other games I played back in this era of gaming which I have a lot of nostalgia for since I was basically a full-time gamer then.

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

07. Super Castlevania IV (SNES)

slop from the trough. it's fine, if a little long. not too difficult but i only played the initial run and didn't go for hard mode.

played this game a fair amount as a kid as my best friend owned it, but we never beat it. hadn't played it in over 20 years so a lot of it felt new/unknown. I and III are better overall imo. and playing Rondo before this was a mistake because that is a considerably better game in every way. hope Bloodlines is good

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
bloodlines owns. much tighter game tahn IV

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

43) p.n. 03 (gamecube)

this is the only one of the capcom five that they never ported anywhere else and now i understand why. anyway check out this wikipedia article lol https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vanessa_Z._Schneider

absolutely anything fucked around with this message at 12:18 on May 18, 2024

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
lol

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

lmfao

teppichporsche
May 11, 2019

What does the Z stand for

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

absolutely anything posted:

43) p.n. 03 (gamecube)

this is the only one of the capcom five that they never ported anywhere else and now i understand why. anyway check out this wikipedia article lol https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vanessa_Z._Schneider

lmfao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Dave Halverson of Play magazine suggested that if Kobayashi had "set out to create the world's most beautiful female video game character, he has certainly succeeded", further describing her as "immeasurably more elegant than Lara Croft" as a character and a "celebration of the female form" that he felt only came from Japanese developers. He further stated her behind "sways with so much grace it borders on illegal", and described her as a "death ballerina" when using her Energy Drive attack.[7]