Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I think Simon was being reminded of Secret of Mana when the T-Rex exploded. I thought the same thing when a previous miniboss blew up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Chrono Trigger used the same effect for some of it's dying bosses. Just cycling the pallet through different fire colors.

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

I wanna get a Super Saiyan Mohawk when I grow up! :swoon:
Once again live on Twitch

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

Update 2

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

They've planted corn everywhere.

Soiled Meat
And now it's time for a level whose difficulty one weapon can snap over its knee.

Sorry Junk Man.

Rockman EP #7: Adventurous Spirit of Scrap
(Heavy Sigh, Combat Lobster, Simply Simon, and NGDBSS)

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Seems like the self-burning weapon should maybe consume weapon energy??? Also, lol at that long pause after "Are they funny jokes?"

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape
Self Burning is impressively overpowered. Like I wonder if it was made so absurd entirely as a band aid because of how difficult some sections can get. Like "Oh man I really like this setup but it is way too hard... Maybe I will just let the player Self Burning through the whole thing just so they can see it."

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Black Mage Knight posted:

Self Burning is impressively overpowered. Like I wonder if it was made so absurd entirely as a band aid because of how difficult some sections can get. Like "Oh man I really like this setup but it is way too hard... Maybe I will just let the player Self Burning through the whole thing just so they can see it."
Just wait until we get to the Wily levels! :v:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Black Mage Knight posted:

That's basically MM9 in a nutshell and that worked out pretty well :shrug:

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

the holy poopacy posted:

That's basically MM9 in a nutshell and that worked out pretty well :shrug:

MM9 had a really strong weapon set, but it didn't have a weapon that made you literally invulnerable to contact damage and environmental hazards. You still had to actually run and jump and dodge and shoot in MM9. You also had to care about ammo management for your most fun toys, a single use of Tornado Blow or Blackhole Bomb didn't last half the stage.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Omnicrom posted:

MM9 had a really strong weapon set, but it didn't have a weapon that made you literally invulnerable to contact damage and environmental hazards. You still had to actually run and jump and dodge and shoot in MM9. You also had to care about ammo management for your most fun toys, a single use of Tornado Blow or Blackhole Bomb didn't last half the stage.

The jewel shield came pretty close honestly, you still had to do the platforming but it made you immune to a lot of enemies and projectiles with very little energy consumption.

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

Something I didn’t notice until I was writing this update is that the randomizer has pushed out two new versions. I leave the balance/bug related changes up to you to read for yourself; however, I will note the following:

abyssonym posted:

• Sprite randomization (with custom sprites) has been implemented. Use the partyparty code to activate this mode. See custom/sprites for details on how to customize your sprite randomization experience.
  • Support for "wildcard" custom maps implemented. These are maps that are not intended to replace a specific map, such as those contributed by Koboko. Thanks Koboko! Note that "alternate" maps have been moved to custom/maps/alternate.
  • Added ArmoredKori's updated alternate map pack with most ch4 maps included.
  • When units are dismissed from the party, guests are dismissed first.
  • Status effect randomization and weapon proc randomization are now separate flags.
  • Monster skills can be given a separate randomness setting in custom mode

Update 3

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

Soiled Meat
Jump! Jump! Slide! Slide! Fall! Fall!

Rockman 7 EP #8: Threat from Frozen Space
(Heavy Sigh, Combat Lobster, Simply Simon, NGDBSS)

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

Soiled Meat
You know what the best way to improve a darkness gimmick is?

Add some Wind!

Rockman 7 EP #9: Fortress of Fate!

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

I've seen some... :airquote:interesting:airquote: Wily Fortress maps in romhacks before, but :wtc:

I mean, I get it after watching, but still

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

Soiled Meat
For his next trick, PureSabe shoves an entire new gameplay system into Wily 2!

It's not very good.

Rockman 7 EP #10: The Eve of Processor Destruction

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Soooooo Slooooooooooow.

Wait, you're saying that after this stage where the optional secret proto shield was required the next stage requires another optional item?

FeyerbrandX fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jul 12, 2021

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

I'm pretty sure Simon was correct and the turtle's heads would only take damage when their mouths were open.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

i take it the shield turning gold is it becoming uncursed or something? does that actually mean anything in gameplay terms?

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

Soiled Meat

a cartoon duck posted:

i take it the shield turning gold is it becoming uncursed or something? does that actually mean anything in gameplay terms?

It seems to just be a reference to the ff6 cursed shield, where after 256 kills it would uncurse.

Here you just have to block 256 bullets, and then it turns gold and does nothing else.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

I really loved Minus Infinity, and I feel like a lot of this hack's issues are due to Puresabe figuring out what he could make the MM7 engine do, and just throwing it all in.

A lot of this is super impressive in terms of "I made the game do this", but it's also pretty clearly an extended tech demo. Plus MM7's already got some issues with screen real estate and the like that don't help the designs he tries to do.

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

Soiled Meat
WARNING: this stage contains Bad Level Design

Rockman 7 EP #11: The Ruined Platforming of the HannyaNED²

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck

Kurui Reiten posted:

A lot of this is super impressive in terms of "I made the game do this", but it's also pretty clearly an extended tech demo.

Ah, Brutal Mario.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Heavy Sigh posted:

WARNING: this stage contains Bad Level Design

Only the stage? Been too long since the first set for me to remember whether they were bad in themselves, but I say that putting required items in locations that it's possible to not find retroactively MAKES them bad, turning 100% completion into a requirement is also bad design... basically, I'm saying that the entire hack has bad design.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

loving PHANTOON phase!?

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Oof, the chase was an okay idea(executed poorly), but that vertical section looks horrible. And it goes on for way too long, like most things seem to in this hack.
He basically ran out of set-ups almost immediately but just kept going anyway.

Also, Self-Burning makes Ring Man's weapon in Minus Infinity seem balanced, Jesus.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

PureSabe needs an editor.

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

It looked like the last phase still had the weak point orb to me.

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

Soiled Meat

Jade Rider posted:

It looked like the last phase still had the weak point orb to me.

It does, I just let myself get confused by memories of the first time I fought it, where it constantly hovered offscreen and I couldn't see where the orb fired from, making me think it didn't indicate the weakpoint anymore.

magikid
Nov 4, 2006
Wielder of the Soup Spoon

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Dude should've stuck to NES Mega Mans so system limitations at least somewhat kept his bullshit level design in check.
A whole lot of this looks technically impressive but absolutely no fun to play.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

I guarantee you that column would be even dumber if they'd gone with an actual rating system, and I'm glad I was able to argue Nightcrawler in to doing a strict recommended/not-recommended system.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

At least that second one is actually "I recommend playing the robot master stages and then quitting."

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

Soiled Meat
WARNING: MODE SEVEN GRAPHICS APPROACHING FAST

Rockman 7 EP #12: Dr. Wily's Last Gameplay Shift!?
(Heavy Sigh, Combat Lobster, Simply Simon, NGDBSS, Shinryu)

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...
Am I mistaken, or was the screen for the boss rush a reference to the boss rush at the end of Actraiser?

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

That is definitely an Actraiser reference.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

I dont know posted:

Am I mistaken, or was the screen for the boss rush a reference to the boss rush at the end of Actraiser?

Definitely looked like Actraiser to me. Seemed kind of gratuitous, honestly... but then this hack's incredibly reliant on gratuitous gameplay changes already.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

That was...a lot of fight.

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

Soiled Meat

FPzero posted:

That was...a lot of fight.

If that seemed like a lot of fight, you may want to bring some refreshments and a comfy chair for the final video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Heavy Sigh posted:

If that seemed like a lot of fight, you may want to bring some refreshments and a comfy chair for the final video.

Oh boy, I can't wait. Sounds like it'll be far more than it needs to be, which is a constant thing in this hack.