Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
The thing about minor inconveniences like this is that if they're really just a minor inconvenience instead of something that matters, then why have them in the game at all?

That's more of a general game design peeve, though. A lot of games include petty nuisances like this that really do nothing more than to make a convenience feature harder to access, but not meaningfully harder to access, which makes them basically just be an annoyance that the game didn't need to have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Cardiovorax posted:

The thing about minor inconveniences like this is that if they're really just a minor inconvenience instead of something that matters, then why have them in the game at all?

That's more of a general game design peeve, though. A lot of games include petty nuisances like this that really do nothing more than to make a convenience feature harder to access, but not meaningfully harder to access, which makes them basically just be an annoyance that the game didn't need to have.

Hardcore F:NV was kind of like this, with the food/water. But it was also the most difficult anyways with a thing layer of realism on top. But at the end of the day, it was just "bring food, water, and doctor's bags with you before you kill 100 raiders in their home".

I think the issue of video games is that developers have difficulty figuring out what busywork/inconveniences are worth keeping and which ones aren't. Like, I bet they think "well respecs shouldn't just be free" and someone was like "why not" and they said "because other games don't".

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Well, I mean, if you play hardcore mode in NV then you're actively asking for it, because explicitly one of the only things it actually does, so I can't quite hold that against them.

But yeah, it often seems like a lot of those nuisance features are just included because "that's just how it's done." It's kind of dumb and thoughtless.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Still been playing this on and off, at the point of level 73 where xp has been super slow, expeditions clearing has slowed down, and trying to up the quality and then rarity of items is super expensive and just takes foreeeeeever.

I think I'm gonna take a break as I dont even have the willpower to farm up all new gear to try a new build for pushing past expedition level 113.

Wayfaring Stranger
Feb 16, 2011
I logged in to play this morning but it was mysteriously uninstalled from my Steam library - did this happen to anyone else? I don't remember rage quitting as I was actually having fun as a pew pew wizard. I wonder if it's related to their new plans for a 'Second Dawn':

The Devs on Steam posted:

NEWS
by Wolcen: Lords of Mayhem
POSTED
Fri, 13 March
Wolcen's Second Dawn: plans for the future
Community translation: Deutsch - Français - Русский

Hello everyone,

It’s been a month since the game was released and we would like to take this opportunity to talk about the future of the game and the decisions we’ve made lately.

These past few weeks, our team has been working on fixing numerous issues players encountered in-game, and we have many more issues to fix. The problems we encountered with the servers caused by a large number of new players also forced us to substantially change some aspects of the code to allow a lighter charge on the servers and the database requests. And there is still work to do.

Despite the issues encountered, we received a lot of positive feedback about the game and many players enjoy it which makes us very proud of the work we’ve accomplished so far. That success allows us to grow, but most importantly, it allows us to make the right choices to restore more global happiness in our community.

Operation: Second Dawn

We initially planned to put a top priority on new league content and on the new Chapter shortly after the release of the game. We’ve decided to swap the priority between the production of new content and bug fixing, game stabilization, quality of life, and recruitment during the next 4 months.

This decision comes with a name: Operation Second Dawn. Its goal is to focus on fixing several issues and invest in resources and infrastructures to make sure that the game will grow on a healthy base and a happy community.

Testing improvement

This is one of our primary objectives: reinforce the testing. We’re now working with an external QA team to improve our testing process, spot issues sooner, and fix them before a new version goes live.

On that note, we want to inform you that patch 1.0.10 will be deployed early next week instead of this week. We’ve made some changes that require extensive testing and we want to make sure that it works properly.

Story improvements

We want to bring some love to Chapter 3 and improve the diversity and the pace to make its gameplay events and encounters more appealing. In addition to adding more visual diversity, we will also add new enemies and new enemies variants.

Quality of life improvements

Localization quality and clarity, the possibility to rebind left-click(we heard you!), a Gate of Fates search function, ailment stack numbers on monsters, a new quest reward system to avoid having a window in the middle of your screen when you receive your reward(along with the possibility to stack your reward and collect them whenever you want), and more...

Balancing

You can also expect balancing improvements in addition to bug fixing. Our goal is to improve the skills that are currently less played, there should not be a lot of damage reduction or skill nerfs. The Patch 1.0.10.0 will start to bring some improvements in that direction.
We will, however, continue to intervene on extremely unbalanced skills, items, or nodes as we did for Bleeding Edge if any come to our attention.

Servers improvements

We’re investigating options to improve our coverage, server capacities, and their efficiency. We’re aware of the issues you’re encountering in-game and improving server responsiveness is one of our top priorities for solo and multiplayer.

Communication and Support

During all the Alpha and the Beta, communication and support has been handled by only one person. The release of the game made our community substantially grow and community tasks and customer support cannot be handled by a single person anymore. We’re working on reinforcing the team so the background work doesn’t affect our global communication with you. We know that you feel abandoned these days but we can assure you that we’re reading everything and we’re working on improving our communication with you.

Our goal is to keep a close relationship with our community, but we also have to make sure that everyone can have access to our replies. In the ideas considered, there is the possibility to withdraw from Discord to focus on communication on other media such as Reddit and the Official Forums to allow better visibility on the replies we make on various topics.
We also want to improve our forums to ensure that they’re user-friendly and have all the necessary elements (such as a basic search option, the possibility to pin topics, and more...).

This is just part of the changes that are in discussion at Wolcen Studio and we will keep you regularly informed regarding the progress we make and changes we bring in the game and on our communication.

After “Second Dawn”?

We’ve always planned to support Wolcen for several years and that includes regularly adding free content in the game.

The next content patch 1.1.0 will be a league, which means that unique league mechanics will be added in the game along with new content.
The characters created with the 1.0.0 will be separated from the 1.1.0 content during that league, and the league characters will be merged again with the “standard” version when the 1.2.0 is released (and so on).
For each league, players will have to start a new character to play the league.

New Chapters are also planned. Keep in mind that it takes more time to make a new Chapter than to make Leagues, so you can expect a new Chapter much later.

We hope that you’re as excited as we are regarding the changes to come. We want to thank you again, all of you, for your support and for your understanding. As usual, don’t hesitate to share your feedback!

Wayfaring Stranger
Feb 16, 2011
Re: the above, it was just Steam that stopped pointing to the installed game in the folder? I went to reinstall and the Steam client gave the wrong default folder for some reason.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

lol it took them a month to release that statement

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

Internet Explorer posted:

lol it took them a month to release that statement

Development takes time.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Quill posted:

Development takes time.

putting out a statement of "we are going to pause on content and focus on the game breaking bugs and multiplayer disaster" takes maybe 20 minutes, if you proofread it before hitting send

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

putting out a statement of "we are going to pause on content and focus on the game breaking bugs and multiplayer disaster" takes maybe 20 minutes, if you proofread it before hitting send

Exactly. These things need to be planned out carefully.

Maybe after the next patch the characters and loot won't accidentally glitch through the level architecture.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Bold of you to assume that putting that statement out untested wouldn’t horribly break something in game somehow.

“We’re changing our focus to fixing game breaking bugs— whoops gems now delete whatever item you out them in and permanently set your damage to 0. No we can’t fix this.”

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

For the hell of it I picked up D3 with the new season after not playing for like 2 years.

I immediately uninstalled wooden. I forgot what the feel of smooth combat, rewarding drops, and a good, smooth progression feels like. Seasons in wolcen might be neat, but with as anemic as the drops are and as grindy as the endgame is with stormfall, I just can't see doing it again.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Honestly, this game got me into grimdawn. Which is great because I bounced off each time. Both this game and D3 does the thing where your weapon disappears / becomes something else during a special attack and for some reason that makes me MAD

caedwalla
Nov 1, 2007

the eye has it
Grim Dawn is good and cool except when your coop partner is a coward and won't play again after he died during the last boss in Valday.

We never even did the expansion content!

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!
The game looks amazing, visually, it's the kind of upgrade I was hoping for the genre. The voice acting seems great too. Would be great if they managed to fix it all over this coming year, but it doesn't seem too likely.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
They had a one person support team haha

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Wolcen taught me that I'm a Karen, and for that I am forever grateful. Thank you, Wolcen Studio.

Vax
Dec 29, 2011

delicious!
Is this good now?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Vax posted:

Is this good now?

I looked at the game's news page and uhhhh

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

Vax posted:

Is this good now?

Wolcen Steam ingame : 474

Grim Dawn: 4360

It’s slightly above dead

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Lmao at how fast and bright this burned when it came out, and then poof, nothing but smoke and ash.

:rip:

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
There's supposed to be some major "Second Dawn" patch in July that will actually improve features instead of mostly bugfixing, and I might give it another try then but no, not a ton has improved since release.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

rest in piss

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

Dallan Invictus posted:

There's supposed to be some major "Second Dawn" patch in July that will actually improve features instead of mostly bugfixing, and I might give it another try then but no, not a ton has improved since release.

More like "Second Launch."

Can't say I'm holding my breath for the kind of sweeping changes that would be able to bring the audience back.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Mr.PayDay posted:

Wolcen Steam ingame : 474

Grim Dawn: 4360

It’s slightly above dead

I mean it still sold millions of copies at launch so in that sense it kinda doesn't matter how many people are playing it right now. If the team really has managed to pull together and save the game then great, if not they've already made their money and I ultimately enjoyed the 1.5 playthroughs I've done, sizable warts and all.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

can’t wait to shell out for early access to wolcen 2.0: lords of destruction

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

Mordja posted:

I mean it still sold millions of copies at launch so in that sense it kinda doesn't matter how many people are playing it right now. If the team really has managed to pull together and save the game then great, if not they've already made their money and I ultimately enjoyed the 1.5 playthroughs I've done, sizable warts and all.

400+ players make coop/MP games hard to approach. If I want to play solo, Grim Dawn is better suited right now with content, builds and replay incentives.

I was an original backer off the „first wave“ of Wolcen funders and I’ll be the first to reinstall this again if they manage to redeem themselves after the launch fiasco.
Hello Games needed 2-3 years with NMS and it’s a great space exploration game now.

Let’s hope the Wolcen devs keep on repairing what they damaged and there might be return of 4000 players immediately, if not more, because not everyone likes PoE and Diablo 4 might release not within the next 12-18 months.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
Looks like the big patch is out?

Part 1 - Bugs
https://steamcommunity.com/games/424370/announcements/detail/4350991989463631499

Part 2 - Balancing & Skills
https://steamcommunity.com/games/424370/announcements/detail/4350991989463633715

known issues
https://steamcommunity.com/app/424370/discussions/3/3737376621735406989/

Diephoon fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Jul 29, 2020

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

from the "known issues" page:

* Impossible to "Alt + Tab" to switch to other windows when playing the game with the "Windowed Fullscreen" setting.

i was going to ask if this patch makes the game worth getting and playing but lol

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Fired up Wolcen and this initial skill rebalance has definitely made a big difference, I'll say that much. Still a lot of jank when it comes to cutscene transitions tho.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
The first real content update just came out today. Did it fix the game? I dunno lol
E:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCE47nTUdVw

Mordja fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Dec 3, 2020

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
Trailer doesn't really show me anything other than "look at our cool skill/spell effects!" which I already knew were good.

Update site
https://wolcengame.com/bloodtrail/

patch notes 1 (content/balance)
https://steamcommunity.com/games/424370/announcements/detail/2907599623119886016

patch notes 2 (bugs)
https://steamcommunity.com/games/424370/announcements/detail/2907599623127616521

I guess I'll give it a reinstall and see if playing the new seasonal stuff is fun, maybe try to make an infinity blades build work. I think the skill is fundamentally not good for clearing but we'll see.

My takeaway from a glance at the changes are large nerfs to 2H weapons and buffs to 1Hs.

quote:

Base damage of two-handed melee weapons reduced by 30%
Base damage of one-handed weapons and bows increased by 25%
Staves can now roll weapon damage affixes.
All two-handed melee weapons now also have a -25% cast speed modifier.
All Bows now have the +25% weapon damage but -25% attack and cast speed modifier (same modifier as the two-handed melee weapons)
The attack and cast speed modifier attached to two-handed weapons now acts multiplicatively with the current attack speed instead of additively.
Before: with a character that has +60% attack speed, it became +35% (60-25) when equipping a two-handed weapon
Now: with a character that has +60% attack speed, it becomes +20% (160 * 0.75) when equipping a two-handed weapon.

All one-handed weapons now have a +5% attack and cast speed modifier when dual wielding (no catalyst or shield equipped).
The generic %damage modifier can’t roll on armors anymore.
Guns now have a +15% critical damage modifier when dual wielding
One-handed Swords now have a +5% block efficiency modifier when dual wielding
One-handed Axes now have a +15% ailment damage modifier when dual wielding
One-handed Maces now have +20% ailment chance score modifier when dual wielding
Daggers now have +20% critical chance score modifier when dual wielding

Also all spells are now based on weapon damage to help with scaling.

e: twitch drop bullshit if you want a free pet
https://wolcengame.com/forum/announcements/official-news/twitch-drop-faq/

Diephoon fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Dec 3, 2020

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

I'd be interested to hear what you think.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Buy Last Epoch instead

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Play Path of Diablo or Project Diablo 2 instead

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

I mean I already own Wolcen so the damage is done. I have that D2 in Grim Dawn mod also. Variety is nice, though.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

kloa posted:

Buy Last Epoch instead

I did and I returned it because the animations and art were not satisfying.

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah

Diephoon posted:

I did and I returned it because the animations and art were not satisfying.

Not sure how long ago that was but they got a new lead animator and things have improved a lot the last few months. Zones are also being redone

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012
I've beaten up to the chapter 2 boss, so here's my trip report: it's basically the same, and predictably, broken in new ways. I've only gotten about 5 hunts in that time; I don't know why they're so stingy with the things, since they're not that rewarding. Speaking of, if you're playing and get the option to make the hunt boss drop a legendary, don't bother. I've gotten that twice and neither time got a legendary. Just pump rarity as much as possible and hope; you'll probably still just get three yellow items that your build doesn't use, but it's better than nothing.

Edit: Also, there was a sequence of options that had a +50% magic find rate on the hunt boss and ended with "The hunt boss drops a large amount of gold." It dropped nothing but gold.

Noper Q fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Dec 4, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
I started a new character in the hunt mode or whatever and then I quit the game when I couldn't just skip to the post-game adventure mode.