Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alard
Sep 4, 2011

CodfishCartographer posted:

Just cleared my second world as Diva in SaGa Emerald Beyond, and I'm still not sure when I should be swapping formations. The starting one is just so powerful: good starting stars, +1 per turn guaranteed, and star discount on skills after every combo which I try to do as much of as I can anyways. I feel like I'm probably making a mistake by neglecting the system, but the default one is just so flexible and good.

As long as the formation is working for you that's fine. Just keep in mind that if you start hitting some kind of wall or having trouble with a fight that it's another option you can play with and some do have some nice bonuses, like giving people in certain positions permanent BP reduction for a category of techs/magic, bigger stats, or just being more likely to be targeted.

I've only played the Switch and Steam demos but I always swap Ameya's team to one of the formations that'll give her more Magic BP reduction and it's great for barreling through fights early since other than position one and two the other positions get BP reduction after defending, with said BP reduction building up if they defend multiple turns in a row.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

I was kinda curious about Eiyuden Chronicles, but reviews give me the impression that it's poorly translated and not as good as its predecessors. Seeing as I haven't played those already, I'm wondering if I should just give one of the old Suikoden games a go? And if so, which one would you recommend?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
buddy if poor translations are a problem i have bad news about suikoden

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Its not even a bad translation from what I can see, the writing just isn't very interesting, chunks are omitted to be part of DLC, and the pacing is overall poor.

I think there were two typos I noticed, one line that is just written from the wrong perspective from a singular NPC, and a castle ability where the description is hindered by the character limits.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
The translators should've fixed the writing.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The writing doesn't improve in Forspoken, they just stop talking as much about non-plot things but every chance they get they back-slide.

This parkour is pretty fun though, not gonna lie.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Woebin posted:

I was kinda curious about Eiyuden Chronicles, but reviews give me the impression that it's poorly translated and not as good as its predecessors. Seeing as I haven't played those already, I'm wondering if I should just give one of the old Suikoden games a go? And if so, which one would you recommend?

a character gets called a chud in the localization and this galvanized a weebnado of nitpicking and screaming about AGENDAS, it's grossly overblown

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Barudak posted:

The writing doesn't improve in Forspoken, they just stop talking as much about non-plot things but every chance they get they back-slide.

This parkour is pretty fun though, not gonna lie.

What are you playing it on? The demo ran poorly on my decentish pc, so I haven’t even been considering buying it yet.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Rinkles posted:

What are you playing it on? The demo ran poorly on my decentish pc, so I haven’t even been considering buying it yet.

Playing on a Rog Ally, at the moment. Its clearly a resource hog but Im getting a mostly stable near 60 framerate running it at 720 then amd's superresolution(?) or whatever they call it up to 1080 so I can read the drat text. The game can be dropped to 480 and I was using that before my dumb arse figured out how to fix the resolution scaler.

My understanding is they updated the demo when they made the performance update near the mid/end of last year so if you haven't tried it since the demo first came out it might be more performative now.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Barudak posted:

Its not even a bad translation from what I can see, the writing just isn't very interesting, chunks are omitted to be part of DLC, and the pacing is overall poor.

I think there were two typos I noticed, one line that is just written from the wrong perspective from a singular NPC, and a castle ability where the description is hindered by the character limits.
Oh okay, the review I saw made it sound like the translation rendered the mechanics unclear or something.

Buck Wildman posted:

a character gets called a chud in the localization and this galvanized a weebnado of nitpicking and screaming about AGENDAS, it's grossly overblown
So it's just gamers being toxic as usual? Maybe I'll pick it up then.

Still wondering, though: would people ITT say that Eiyuden is the best entry point or should I still try one of the original games first? I've had Suikoden on my list of games I'm vaguely interested in trying out for like a decade.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

OddObserver posted:

Yeah, but a lot of people are gonna want KOS-MOS.

A lot of people want KOS-MOS because they hear she's the strongest blade and they want the strongest blade rather than because they're huge Xenosaga fans.

Woebin posted:

Still wondering, though: would people ITT say that Eiyuden is the best entry point or should I still try one of the original games first? I've had Suikoden on my list of games I'm vaguely interested in trying out for like a decade.

Suikoden 1 is good and is also really short and breezy compared to Suikoden 2 and Eiyuden, so in terms of lowest time investment I'd try that one first if you have easy access to it.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
sora learning to fly -> flying circles around hook in a massive arena -> a soaring victory lap around the clock tower -> freaking hollow bastion, what a chain of events. kingdom hearts ftw

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Eiyuden might be a good entry point in a few months, but right now it's still pretty buggy. Suikoden 2 is generally the big fan favorite and doesn't require any real knowledge of 1 to get into, so that's probably your best bet.

Suiko 1 is a bit bare bones, but that does mean it's fairly short and breezy. 3 has solid writing but clunky mechanics, and personally I dunno if the villain's motivation will land for you if you skip the PS1 games entirely. 4 is a mess, don't start with 4. I like 5, but it does have a problem of being both a little too long and a little too derivative of 2. Tactics is a spin-off and shares plot connections with 4, but it's solid, especially if you're looking for an SRPG on the PS2.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Looper posted:

sora learning to fly -> flying circles around hook in a massive arena -> a soaring victory lap around the clock tower -> freaking hollow bastion, what a chain of events. kingdom hearts ftw

They should remake it if only to force Disney to acknowledge Tarzan's slow escape into the public domain. Also because they could make Wonderland and Halloween Town look sooooo much better now.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Willo567 posted:

When are they gonna finally port Xenoblade Chronicles X so you don't need to own a Wii U anymore

Monolith has answered this question already, and it's not what you want to hear. Emulation plays it perfectly though!

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
What happened to the Suikoden remasters anyways? I swear they were supposed to come out around the same time or earlier than Eiyuden.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

poe meater posted:

What happened to the Suikoden remasters anyways? I swear they were supposed to come out around the same time or earlier than Eiyuden.

They just sort of disappeared into the void with no updates.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

poe meater posted:

pachinko forever

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Kanos posted:

A lot of people want KOS-MOS because they hear she's the strongest blade and they want the strongest blade rather than because they're huge Xenosaga fans.

Suikoden 1 is good and is also really short and breezy compared to Suikoden 2 and Eiyuden, so in terms of lowest time investment I'd try that one first if you have easy access to it.

Crowetron posted:

Eiyuden might be a good entry point in a few months, but right now it's still pretty buggy. Suikoden 2 is generally the big fan favorite and doesn't require any real knowledge of 1 to get into, so that's probably your best bet.

Suiko 1 is a bit bare bones, but that does mean it's fairly short and breezy. 3 has solid writing but clunky mechanics, and personally I dunno if the villain's motivation will land for you if you skip the PS1 games entirely. 4 is a mess, don't start with 4. I like 5, but it does have a problem of being both a little too long and a little too derivative of 2. Tactics is a spin-off and shares plot connections with 4, but it's solid, especially if you're looking for an SRPG on the PS2.
Very helpful answers, thanks! I think I'll look into 2 first, then.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Eiyuden could have been a good entry point, but it doesn't have any of the QoL features you would expect from a modern JRPG. From a gameplay perspective it feels like playing Suikoden 2 if the combat were slower, the mechanics were worse, and the characters were less interesting. Honestly can't recommend it when a 20 year old game is easily superior.

A real disappointment, but maybe it'll get better with some updates and DLC. Not holding my breath, though.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i think it's funny (major endgame Eiyuden spoilers, you'll regret hovering over if you haven't reached the end) that Perielle's death can be averted because it's like, the one time anything with any actual gravity happens besides four cities 'falling' to Empire control, only two of which are actually uninhabitable and the other two end up rebuilding in minutes. so the idea that you can prevent it is kind of funny to me, like... I get it, but at least that moment was SOMETHING in the story. i'm not gonna bother

e: it's also kind of dumb to me because having it be optional (even if you need to do a ton of poo poo to prevent it) means that they have to factor that into the writing of the dialog for the rest of the game. perielle's death can't weigh over the cast, it can only be mentioned in specific points where they can swap dialog out as needed. already the characters are acting like nothing happened except for a single "you miss her" line that's awkwardly wedged into a scene and then not followed up on. there's lines of dialogue in the eltisweiss battle that seem like, oh these would just be present tense verbs otherwise. the one real moment of tragedy in the story, blunted by design

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 20:07 on May 5, 2024

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Eiyuden could have been a good entry point, but it doesn't have any of the QoL features you would expect from a modern JRPG. From a gameplay perspective it feels like playing Suikoden 2 if the combat were slower, the mechanics were worse, and the characters were less interesting. Honestly can't recommend it when a 20 year old game is easily superior.

A real disappointment, but maybe it'll get better with some updates and DLC. Not holding my breath, though.

agreed with all of this. I just finished Eiyuden Chronicle a few days ago and felt a bit disappointed by it. I guess I shouldn't really be surprised, every time one of these kickstarter games tries to capitalize on a beloved retro classic, and it even has some of the key devs from the original, it ends up being disappointing. For what it's worth though, Eiyuden is still far and above better than other similar attempts released over the years.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I weirdly enjoyed the gacha aspect with XB2, just for the sheer fun of "ooh, what will I get this time??" but I completely agree that it needed a much much much stronger pity system so that it's feasible to collect all the blades in one playthrough in a reasonable amount of time. The pity system they went with is very strange IIRC.

It helped that I'm not very much of a completionist so I was happier to just roll with what I got. If I was trying to do all the side quests I would've hated it for sure.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

RareAcumen posted:

They should remake it if only to force Disney to acknowledge Tarzan's slow escape into the public domain. Also because they could make Wonderland and Halloween Town look sooooo much better now.

i'd rather get a version of recom that isn't worse than the gba game

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I think XB2's biggest combat gameplay sin is that it's inherently extremely slow and boring for a significant portion of the main plot. It's only once you get a full Blade roster and unlock stuff like "start fights with Arts charged" and "cancel Arts into each other" that you gain the ability to make fights quicker and aren't just standing around auto-attacking most of the time. And the game isn't great at explaining the way chain attacks work (which are the only way to semi-quickly take down harder enemies).

Harrow posted:

I weirdly enjoyed the gacha aspect with XB2, just for the sheer fun of "ooh, what will I get this time??" but I completely agree that it needed a much much much stronger pity system so that it's feasible to collect all the blades in one playthrough in a reasonable amount of time. The pity system they went with is very strange IIRC.

The pity system isn't even quite a pity system in the same way as most other gacha systems. It basically just guarantees you get a decent and varied roster of characters (especially when combined with the decent variety of quest Blades) and then just completely disappears after that.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Ytlaya posted:

It's only once you get a full Blade roster and unlock stuff like "start fights with Arts charged"

When do you get that?

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

XBC2 also had the saddest excuse for a skill tree in a game overstuffed with progression systems. Each driver could spend points in a tree with fifteen nodes in it, more on New Game+. 20 points to Strength isn't going to set the world on fire.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Xenoblade 2 almost killed the series for me. I was very reluctant to want to get Xenoblade 3 even because of it, until I read that it is pretty different and did away with everything I hated about XBC2. Glad for it because XBC3 is my favorite of the games.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

I'm enjoying Eiyuden well enough, but I can't help but feel like it was a mistake to have characters who are inspired by Riou, Jowy, and Nanami, but instead of them being like a family unit who grew up together, they're all strangers.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

who on earths idea was the fuckin final dungeon of eiyuden being just a bunch of empty massive hallways lol

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The 7th Guest posted:

who on earths idea was the fuckin final dungeon of eiyuden being just a bunch of empty massive hallways lol

The ten dollars remaining in the budget.

I'll wait for a sale and an update on Eiyuden since Barudak is doing a less than flattering job of selling it. I'm more hopeful for Kickstarter games made by devs who have shipped a game before like Nine Sols, Mina the Hollower, and Hymn of the Earless God.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
Without the bugs, I'd rate Eiyuden Chronicles as about equal to Suikoden V (which, for context, I consider the third-best, after II and III). If you've played all the good Suikoden games, Eiyuden will scratch the itch for more, but otherwise, like, just go play Suikoden, pretty much any PC can run a PS2 emulator these days, so you can play all five pretty easily.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The 7th Guest posted:

Yeah that dungeon is a choice lmao. It really did feel like the team was out of money by that point.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Woebin posted:

Very helpful answers, thanks! I think I'll look into 2 first, then.

Suikoden 1 is maybe 20-25 hours if you've never played it before, and you can carry some stuff from your final save into a new game of Suikoden 2.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

finished eiyuden. some more thoughts

Pohl says his rune tank was never meant to be used for war. i'm sorry? the, the rune tank with the giant cannon coming out of a bronze dragon's mouth? that was a peace tank??

the way SP does or doesn't generate for some party members does feel like a legit bug (like Lam when transformed). i also don't understand why characters start with seemingly random SP at times. there are equipment/runes you can use to increase your starting SP AND increase your regen, but sometimes a character just has 3 SP at the start of battle for seemingly no reason. but i'll have a character that ends battle with 5 SP and then has 0 in the next battle. but then they have 2 in the battle after that?? something's bugged here

and the math, i keep coming back to something about the math must be wrong in the combat system. something about the stat calculations isn't calculating right, and that's why a lot of buff spells are so ineffectual, why basic attacks are more powerful than magic, why evasion seems to barely happen even for characters with a taunt counter, why various characters don't seem suited to how they look, etc. i don't think the team took half the characters and thought "let's make them really bad at everything in combat", i think that they designed the characters with specific combat styles in mind, that is just not translating in the actual combat system because something fundamental about it inside the black box is borked

a couple other things... the first stage of the final boss ends with the boss freezing in place while the camera's still movin' around and your characters do their celebration. not sure if that was intentional but given the bugginess of the game... skill attacks should have been more easily transferrable/configurable to help you really build the party you want out of your favorite characters... dux aldric's motivations are pretty paper thin, he's no luca blight, and he can't even give a particularly relevant use case for his supposed vision of runes for all despite being called brilliant constantly by his peers and melridge... the depiction of war in this game pales far in comparison to the actual Suikoden series; it more resembles a GI Joe cartoon than a real war, and its use of kickstarter backers in the 'death column' is so weird and clumsy and I'm sure a smart essay-writing person could have a lot of fun tearing this all apart, but i'm not smart so I can't do that... the dialog in the final duel battle is so painfully trite even for this kind of storytelling, the edge is too dull to provide any real catharsis for the 40 hours you just spent leading up to this moment... i had to laugh at the "buff" those elemental sword spells give you, because it'll be a tiny number above the base damage and it's like.. +1 damage. wow, cool, thanks spell. so i did 366 damange instead of 365. that'll be the difference for sure

okay i have to mention this. the credits list the kickstarter backers, and this includes anonymous backers, which means that there's a couple of minutes of just "Backer No. 34225" and I do mean tens of thousands. it is tens and tens of thousands of "backer no XXXXX" scrolling seemingly forever. what was this point of this lol. it's not like kickstarter is a contractural obligation, you didn't have to do that

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 23:10 on May 5, 2024

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Well if they paid for the level that gets their names in the credits then they should get it. Even if they forget to check their backerkit to submit their name and thus are just credited Anonymous Backer 24601 or the like.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

The 7th Guest posted:

Pohl says his rune tank was never meant to be used for war. i'm sorry? the, the rune tank with the giant cannon coming out of a bronze dragon's mouth? that was a peace tank??
So it's a peace-loving death ray rune tank.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The 7th Guest posted:

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010
I only got about 15 hours into Eiyuden before I thought "you know what, I could play Suikoden 2 again and would probably enjoy it more." Does anyone in Eiyuden get a Primal Lens? I love the lore of the True Runes but after I saw two Primal Lenses in Eiyuden go completely unnamed and unassigned to my characters I started wondering if they had really whiffed that part of being not-Suikoden

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

they want shady
May 11, 2013

Rinkles posted:

When do you get that?

from the character skill trees IIRC there's one per tier and they're pretty expensive early on tho