Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

zoux posted:

And I won't, just like I've never seen the latter 2 hobbit movies.

Still haven't seen the second

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

i saw them all and regret it. i saw RoP and it was fine, but very disappointing, even with my guarded expectations. this is utter drivel, insulting slop.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
the hobbit movies are good but only if you watch the fan edit that combines the best parts into one 4 hour film and cuts all the bullshit

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I saw the first one in 3D at 60fps and it was the worst theater experience of my life

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Only watching that if PJ goes back to his roots and uses 5 tanker trucks of actual pigs blood in the production.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Kaysette posted:

the hobbit movies are good but only if you watch the fan edit that combines the best parts into one 4 hour film and cuts all the bullshit

I watched this rather than the second and third movies. it is bad and loses almost everything worth while about The Hobbit. All downhill from “Far Over The Misty Mountains Cold”. Rankin Bass Hobbit is unironically a way better use of much less time

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Wait no, I went back and watched the second one on streaming so I could see the Smaug stuff, which was good. The rest was execrable.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Rankin bass gollum is my gollum

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
The hobbit *should* be an animated children's movie

Just like wheel of time should be an anime

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
This is all just getting in the way of PJ finally making Bad Taste 2.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

my gf saw the hobbit in 3D IMAX HFR , it was the very first film in that format in the screen, and the entire thing was out of sync lol

:owned:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Yeah I saw it in the high framerate version and it didn't look good. It had an uncanny hyper clarity to it that I can't describe.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Did Del Toro's work on the Hobbit keep him away from Mountains of Madness or was it just 100% shut down by Prometheus?

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Arc Hammer posted:

The Hunt for Gollum???

It's OK everyone I found him asleep on my bed film's cancelled.

(He's a semiferal cat who got his name by appearing solely as a moving shadow or glowing eyes for the first few months while he decided to move in with me.)

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Iirc after he was fired from the Hobbit, GDT left NZ and started on mountains of madness ?

Maybe I have the chronology wrong

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
I saw the first Hobbit out of curiosity, the second out of a vague sense of obligation, and never saw the third.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
There used to be an edit of the Smaug scene on YouTube that got rid of the mousetrap chase with a dragon and ended with Smaug attacking Laketown without the dwarves ever setting foot inside Erebor to challenge him. Wish I could still find it.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

skasion posted:

I watched this rather than the second and third movies. it is bad and loses almost everything worth while about The Hobbit. All downhill from “Far Over The Misty Mountains Cold”. Rankin Bass Hobbit is unironically a way better use of much less time

I think I've said it before but the Rankin Bass Hobbit hit most of the important notes from the book and told a satisfying story in like 70 minutes. Sure, the elves looked goofy, but all in all it turned out way better than it had any right to.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

thumper57 posted:

I’ve always thought Boromir outright lied about having that dream, cause he was jealous of his cooler wimpier brother getting messages from god.

My understanding wasn't jealousy, but rather "Faramir's getting ignored, I believe him, what if I said I'd had it too?"

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

CommonShore posted:

Yeah I saw it in the high framerate version and it didn't look good. It had an uncanny hyper clarity to it that I can't describe.

My main feeling while watching the Hobbit movies was a sense of dread that this HFR stuff would immediately take over the filmmaking world and nothing would ever be the same again.

Fortunately that doesn't seem to have happened?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I loved the way HFR looked and I didn't get why everybody else in the entire world, as far as I could see, thought it looked bad.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Bongo Bill posted:

I loved the way HFR looked and I didn't get why everybody else in the entire world, as far as I could see, thought it looked bad.

It looked like a poorly lit soap opera dude. The frame rate was too high for the quality of the set, costumes or what was attempting to be portrayed. It showed too much. We could see the wizard behind the giant floating head spitting fire. Hyper realism just has no place in live action fantasy as it currently stands.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Because it looks like it was shot on video tape

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I also thought it looked fine and normal

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Oracle posted:

It looked like a poorly lit soap opera dude. The frame rate was too high for the quality of the set, costumes or what was attempting to be portrayed. It showed too much. We could see the wizard behind the giant floating head spitting fire. Hyper realism just has no place in live action fantasy as it currently stands.

Were the sets and costumes notably lower in quality than the ones used in the Lord of the Rings films? Because, by reputation, those had a level of fidelity of construction that was sufficient for any level of fidelity of presentation, up to and including looking at them up close with the naked eye.

The lighting I'll grant might have something to do with it. More pictures taken means more illumination is needed, and a brighter set would be difficult to photograph in a way that looks familiar. However, if that were the problem, that would also result in still shots, and the standard frame rate version, looking bad too, and I never saw people complaining about those. They always just talk about the frame rate.

zoux posted:

Because it looks like it was shot on video tape

The only way it resembled video tape was by having a higher frame rate. That's just a circular argument.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

It looked like absolute poo poo and every other filmmaker on the planet agreed

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Peter Jackson was an idiot and he paired HFR, which might have worked, with 3D, which has been known to cause headaches and nausea. Every HFR showing was also a 3D showing. It was a very bad idea and it murdered any chance HFR had of catching on.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
It looked like poo poo, I don't know if that was the framerate or the uncanny glossy cgi sheen everything had. Film sucked anyway regardless of the framerate.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

History of the Hobbit arrived yesterday, I think it's the chunkiest book I own :eyepop:

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Bongo Bill posted:

Were the sets and costumes notably lower in quality than the ones used in the Lord of the Rings films? Because, by reputation, those had a level of fidelity of construction that was sufficient for any level of fidelity of presentation, up to and including looking at them up close with the naked eye.

Yeah absolutely. For LOTR they spent several years in pre-production, designing and redesigning costumes, sets, scouting locations, all that kind of stuff. You've probably heard the story that the Hobbiton set was built something like six months before filming, and they just left it to get overgrown so that it looked lived in. As someone mentioned a few posts back, there were details inside Theoden's costume that wouldn't ever be seen on camera, but Bernard Hill said it was so much easier to get into character because of it. And yes, a huge amount of stuff was done with practical effects.

Whereas for the Hobbit trilogy they did all of the pre-production in six months or something (I forget the actual numbers). So basically they had no lead time, Jackson etc didn't want to be there, and there was a real "gently caress it, we'll fix it in post" attitude through the whole production. We've all seen that clip of Sir Ian as Gandalf, sitting in front of a bunch of green screens, looking miserable and crying about how he never wanted to be acting to a tennis ball on a stick.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

My favorite bit of trivia from the production is still the chainmail makers. Two guys making chainmail for two years. seemingly completely isolated from the rest of the crew. In the end they had rubbed off their fingerprints and the job had made them at least somewhat crazy:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20vA9U7J2qQ

The fact that they were so honest in this behind the scenes video makes me wonder just how insane it actually was. Remember that these bonus features are still meant to be a promotional feature putting a good spin on things. If the positive take on the Hobbit production is that it was "chaotic", the reality must have been far worse.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 12:40 on May 10, 2024

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Lol Warner Brothers are absolute pieces of poo poo. They copyright struck the decade plus-old fanfilm about the hunt for Gollum off of youtube only a day after making their announcement.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Arc Hammer posted:

Lol Warner Brothers are absolute pieces of poo poo. They copyright struck the decade plus-old fanfilm about the hunt for Gollum off of youtube only a day after making their announcement.

lol

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Arc Hammer posted:

lmao goddamn. fan films can be silly, but what the gently caress, its literally your biggest fans. loving invite them to the premier and you'll secure a bunch of free PR for literally no cost. have a picture of them standing next to the cast and every cosplay group will trip over themselves to go to the movie and post about it online

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/ChrizBouchard/status/1788954963919470812

They actually unfucked themselves

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Bruceski posted:

My understanding wasn't jealousy, but rather "Faramir's getting ignored, I believe him, what if I said I'd had it too?"
I think I had a similar vibe and I like the idea, as it greatly humanizes Boromir, who we only really see in lousy situations (for him).

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I don't think Boromir's dream was fake. It led him to exactly where he needed to be.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I don't think Boromir's dream was fake. It led him to exactly where he needed to be.

I do think that Faramir was the one meant to go on the quest, but Denethor wouldn't listen to him until the dream came to Boromir also so Denethor would okay the journey - just with the son he wanted to be a hero going instead of the one that was better suited to the task.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

sweet geek swag posted:

Peter Jackson was an idiot and he paired HFR, which might have worked, with 3D, which has been known to cause headaches and nausea. Every HFR showing was also a 3D showing. It was a very bad idea and it murdered any chance HFR had of catching on.

So it sounds like Peter Jackson is actually a genius