Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
just saying, but kodomo no jikan is a blackout on the okada bingo board. there's also an interview on the series website where she talks about offering to work on the project after reading the comic and becoming enamored with the story and main character. okada didn't just go in, do a job, and get out, she wrote half of it as anime original content after hitting it off with the mangaka who encouraged her to fire off on all cylinders rather than make the kind of 'safe' adaptation of an ongoing work you usually see, where the anime ending is very thematically quiet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

dogsicle posted:

here's Mari Okada's O Maidens In Your Savage Season

Just finished rewatching this and it holds up well, I thought. I saw she did some live-action stuff and watched My Teacher today, which in the beginning was fun and the whole thing felt like a prototype for O Maidens in your Savage Season, despite it being based on an older manga. It even has a couple of gags that were used in O Maidens, like the corrections on the lovely love letter.

Then the second half of the movie happened and it was exactly what O Maidens thankfully avoided ended up being, so I can't say I'm surprised at all about her being a showrunner for Kodomo no Jikan. With how O Maidens ended I'd like to think that she realizes that adults reciprocating those kind of feelings is hosed up and shouldn't be portrayed in anything approaching a positive light.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Coxswain Balls posted:

With how O Maidens ended I'd like to think that she realizes that adults reciprocating those kind of feelings is hosed up and shouldn't be portrayed in anything approaching a positive light.
Knowing Okada sought out and iterated on Kodomo no Jikan makes me wonder if there's something in there about how GTO is "lighthearted creep with a good heart" and how we can engage with it, but Jikan is an instant nope. Like if there were students in Onizuka's class going "hey teach, Julie's out because our old teach was a letch and you're acting like one too" it'd shut down that whole persona thing.

Iono. You guys are making me want to watch that drat series to see what Mari does with it. :aatrek:

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Should have reworded that to perhaps now she realizes that kind of relationship and power dynamic is wrong, because the conclusion in that movie certainly seemed like it was meant to be viewed as a happy ending. The manga is from the 90s, but the movie came out just a couple years ago.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I decided to celebrate my birthday instead of working on the thread today. :toot:

I am sorry that my selfishness and laziness the last few days has denied the next season thread for an extended period of time. I'll do better to not procrastinate in the future on these things. Thanks for being patient everyone.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

It's not a big deal dogg. Happy bday.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Julias posted:

I decided to celebrate my birthday instead of working on the thread today. :toot:
Dude we're on eternal pause. Take as much time as you need and don't worry about it.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Umayon is very much Bang Dream Pico but with the cast of Umamusume so it's a pretty okay 2 minute watch

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Space Flower posted:

just saying, but kodomo no jikan is a blackout on the okada bingo board. there's also an interview on the series website where she talks about offering to work on the project after reading the comic and becoming enamored with the story and main character. okada didn't just go in, do a job, and get out, she wrote half of it as anime original content after hitting it off with the mangaka who encouraged her to fire off on all cylinders rather than make the kind of 'safe' adaptation of an ongoing work you usually see, where the anime ending is very thematically quiet.
I said lies so this thread wouldnt devolve into a weird argument... space..

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

I have just started season 1 of Kaguya-sama and am greatly looking forward to when season 2 gets picked up on some service that isn't Funimation.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Julias posted:

I am sorry that my selfishness and laziness the last few days has denied the next season thread for an extended period of time. I'll do better to not procrastinate in the future on these things. Thanks for being patient everyone.
You aren't obligated to give daily updates, dude; you aren't even obligated to make the seasonal thread in the first place. The season thread OP is a useful resource, but it isn't something we can't live without. If you don't feel like making it, say you aren't making it. If you think it might be delayed, post a thread with a placeholder OP so we have a place to discuss while we wait for it to be filled in (or not). Either way, it isn't a big deal.

Elephant Parade fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jul 8, 2020

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Big Leg posted:

wow spike spiegel is alive and he got a cool new haircut + shades

Draxion posted:

Joker with a pompadour

Egon Spengler IS The Joker IN: AKUDAMA DRIVE

FilthyImp posted:

My wife was like "is there any anime out there written by women and that doesn't involve giant boobs or gross sexy poo poo?"

So I was like "Here, watch Mari Okada's A Whisker Away!"
Has she seen Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood or Silver Spoon

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

FilthyImp posted:

Knowing Okada sought out and iterated on Kodomo no Jikan makes me wonder if there's something in there about how GTO is "lighthearted creep with a good heart" and how we can engage with it, but Jikan is an instant nope. Like if there were students in Onizuka's class going "hey teach, Julie's out because our old teach was a letch and you're acting like one too" it'd shut down that whole persona thing.

Iono. You guys are making me want to watch that drat series to see what Mari does with it. :aatrek:

lol that we've psyopped this person into watching an anime the mere mention of which was cause for banning on this website not that long ago

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Maera Sior posted:

I have just started season 1 of Kaguya-sama and am greatly looking forward to when season 2 gets picked up on some service that isn't Funimation.

They're dubbing it, so your options are most likely Funimation or wait for the blu-ray/dvd release. Unless you're in Australia, in which case it's on AnimeLab.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

Egon Spengler IS The Joker IN: AKUDAMA DRIVE

Has she seen Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood or Silver Spoon
I know what you mean but those are manga written by a woman that were then adapted into anime helmed by men, so not quite in the spirit of the question.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
Umayon gives you two minutes of pretty okay jokes and some cute girls who are also horses. At this point, it's the clear frontrunner for best show of the season.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Endorph posted:

I know what you mean but those are manga written by a woman that were then adapted into anime helmed by men, so not quite in the spirit of the question.
Fair enough

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Was The Great Pretender good?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

GorfZaplen posted:

lol that we've psyopped this person into watching an anime the mere mention of which was cause for banning on this website not that long ago

lol

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

GorfZaplen posted:

....How long ago were the Zorak years, again?

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Zerilan posted:

Was The Great Pretender good?

Extremely good (so far).

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Spiritus Nox posted:

....How long ago were the Zorak years, again?

Infinity

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Anime written by women you can't ignore A Place Further than the Universe.
Edit: Okay technically not written by Ishizuka, it's credited to the committee and screenplay is by a man (Hanada Jukki), but I'd still consider it "her work".

nielsm fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Jul 8, 2020

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Just finished Wave, Listen to Me! Was an enjoyable ride the whole way through and some directions in episodes I wasn't initially expecting from the premise. The final episode definitely caught me really offguard with where it was suddenly going, but it was such a loving good episode. Definitely a low-key contender for AOTY imo.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

GorfZaplen posted:

we're gonna need a public morals committee

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Managed to use the pause to finish a few other things instead. Watched both Gundam IBO seasons and both LotGH: DNT seasons from however many years ago and enjoyed them a hell of a lot. It's definitely a good time to catch up on things.

Also watched Sing Yesterday For Me and My Next Life as a Villainess because of this thread. The latter was great fun, but chat about the LN dropping off a bit makes me a little bit interested in that season 2. We'll see, I guess? I don't really bother with harem shows but it was an easy watch and fairly funny. I also didn't expect to feel as sad as I did when we met Catarina's friend from her past life. Even with the thread's praise, it was a good surprise.

Sing Yesterday For Me was weird, because it felt incredibly relatable but also the ending felt a bit rushed and unearned considering how the lead treated Haru prior to it, and I felt like we needed maybe at least a couple more positive moments with her? Anyway, for how quiet this season's been, it's worked out nicely for me. I'm thinking of getting a Funi sub just to sweep through Kaguya, Wave Listen to Me and Apare-Ranman, but I might just wait for the latter to finish?

A good sleepy season so far.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Davincie posted:

we're gonna need a public morals committee
Someone needs to crack down on those filthy posters whose avatars aren't long enough

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
It’s cool Crunchyroll still hasn’t figured out how to not have their site/app crash and die every time something super popular comes out. You’re owner by a gigantic mega corp now, I’m sure you can pay a bit more on your servers.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

FilthyImp posted:

My wife was like "is there any anime out there written by women and that doesn't involve giant boobs or gross sexy poo poo?"

So I was like "Here, watch Mari Okada's A Whisker Away!"

Yuri on Ice :smuggrin:

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

The Black Stones posted:

It’s cool Crunchyroll still hasn’t figured out how to not have their site/app crash and die every time something super popular comes out. You’re owner by a gigantic mega corp now, I’m sure you can pay a bit more on your servers.

They haven't figured out how to pay their translators yet either so you might be waiting a while

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

The Black Stones posted:

Still remembering Dragon Ball Super's traffic tanking the loving website every week. :stonklol:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Wow Deca Dence is weird as hell

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

The Black Stones posted:

They still have a bug that makes it impossible for me to give them money for years, and I'm not the only person who experienced this issue. I could contact their support but :effort:

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

deca-dence is fun as expected, dunno if i like the monster designs but its nice to get a big ambitious mecha-ish show this year

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Oh there is a new Uma musume short series. The game is still in development hell as far as I know

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Mordja posted:

Wow Deca Dence is weird as hell
That was not what I expected the anti-kaiju weapon to do.

There was a lot going on that episode. I'm interested.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

IShallRiseAgain posted:

They still have a bug that makes it impossible for me to give them money for years, and I'm not the only person who experienced this issue. I could contact their support but :effort:

I ran into this where my CC stopped working with them. My work around was to use PayPal which was linked to my CC and that worked.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Im going to ruin that guy and anyone who made him watch kodomo no jikan. When i am mod they will feel regret

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

how will you manage it while consumed with the regret of being an SA janitor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

goddamn decadence was COOL AS gently caress