Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Memento posted:

It's a per-appearance contract as far as I've seen, which means that when TNA goes under in a few months, they're not on the hook for years of payments. Same thing with that veteran dude.

it also means if they get an 11th hour renewal, his livelihood is at the mercy of how often they want to book him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

TNA is gonna get a contract extension from Spike and kill our party

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Mr. Carlisle posted:

TNA is gonna get a contract extension from Spike and kill our party

That's called keeping the party going!

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

Germansimp posted:

Zema Ion must not have high expectations for his future (per IW.com)

But did they ever pay for his emergency surgery?

(no)

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

MassRafTer posted:

That's called keeping the party going!

Keeping the party going would be getting a super-lovely timeslot, like 1 AM on Saturday nights.

JK!
May 10, 2007

EZ-PZ!

Great White Hope posted:

Keeping the party going would be getting a super-lovely timeslot, like 1 AM on Saturday nights.

"The fans demanded it and now TNA is giving it to them! Going back to our original 11pm Saturday night one hour show here on Spike TV!"

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

webseries only please

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

oatgan posted:

webseries only please

But not on YouTube; Dixie insists on having her own proprietary video player that constantly buffers and crashes your browser.

TNAsylum hails it as the second coming of the lord.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Memento posted:

But not on YouTube; Dixie insists on having her own proprietary video player that constantly buffers and crashes your browser.

No, it needs to be something out of date nobody uses anymore, like Dailymotion.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Dailymotion is where all the good wrestling gets uploaded! TNA should use WWN Live

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
I hope TNA spends 40% of their budget to license Viacom's web player.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Memento posted:

RealPlayer makes it's comeback.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
TNA live from WinAmp

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

TNA live from WinAmp

TNA really whips the llama's rear end.

Apple Craft
Mar 8, 2012
Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray :cry: Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray
Fans can interact with TNA live events by using ICQ for text messaging Mike Tenay at user ID 854963216 and VOIP with fellow TNA fans using Roger Wilco!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Apple Craft posted:

Fans can interact with TNA live events by using ICQ for text messaging Mike Tenay at user ID 854963216 and VOIP with fellow TNA fans using Roger Wilco!

Finally the return of my beloved Something Awful ICQ pranks.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

TNA live from WinAmp

As long as I can put on my Super Mario Bros skin to the player, I am in.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
Impact was pretty OK last night. :reject: :respek: :reject:

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Zack_Gochuck posted:

Impact was pretty OK last night. :reject: :respek: :reject:

Yeah I enjoyed the show quite a lot more than I was expecting. Bully's promo was really great if you ignore the fact that it was promoting putting a woman through a table.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

flashy_mcflash posted:

Yeah I enjoyed the show quite a lot more than I was expecting. Bully's promo was really great if you ignore the fact that it was promoting putting a woman through a table.

Is it bad that because it's Dixie Carter that aspect of it honestly doesn't bother me at all?

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Dixie died on her way back to her home planet.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

sportsgenius86 posted:

Is it bad that because it's Dixie Carter that aspect of it honestly doesn't bother me at all?

Knowing the outcome of it, I think it's beautiful that she came within a whisper of being Sorensen'd and the segment may be one of the driving factors behind Spike walking away from negotiations. It's still a woman going through a table which is majorly cringeworthy, but if you've gotta pick one...

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

flashy_mcflash posted:

Knowing the outcome of it, I think it's beautiful that she came within a whisper of being Sorensen'd and the segment may be one of the driving factors behind Spike walking away from negotiations. It's still a woman going through a table which is majorly cringeworthy, but if you've gotta pick one...

Doesn't this mean that she got Daffney'ed instead? I'd bet money that Russo was in her ear about being put through that table.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

flashy_mcflash posted:

It's still a woman going through a table which is majorly cringeworthy, but if you've gotta pick one...

Dixie Carter's character has been an evil, vile person just like Vince McMahon and she is literally the owner of the company. There is nothing that she can be asked to do that she can't go 'nope, not considering doing this'.

If you find that cringeworthy, then you should probably never watch women's wrestling, because it's usually women destroying themselves because men told them to do so, and having to go through with it because otherwise they'll fail to make a living.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

Great White Hope posted:

Dixie Carter's character has been an evil, vile person just like Vince McMahon and she is literally the owner of the company. There is nothing that she can be asked to do that she can't go 'nope, not considering doing this'.

If you find that cringeworthy, then you should probably never watch women's wrestling, because it's usually women destroying themselves because men told them to do so, and having to go through with it because otherwise they'll fail to make a living.

I'm alright with Dixie going through a table. Wrestling is all about payoffs and her being punished is the payoff. I don't like women being punched or whatever, but there's something classically wrestling about a powerbomb through a table. It's not a thing you see in real life.

I suppose a lot of it depends on the characters and the physiques too. Like I'd have been cool with Beth Phoenix being bodyslammed by Santino but not him doing it to Eva Marie.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
Ha ha ha. gently caress Dixie Carter, who cares?

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Grendels Dad posted:

Doesn't this mean that she got Daffney'ed instead? I'd bet money that Russo was in her ear about being put through that table.
Daffney is sympathetic.

Dixie gets no sympies.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Great White Hope posted:

I more just don't like to see male-on-female violence with a rabid crowd cheering for it under any circumstance. I know the Dudleys and loads of other wrestlers have done this a lot and obviously the women have consented to it but it's just not something I personally want to see and will never be entertained by.

Women's wrestling, again in my own opinion, doesn't qualify. Hell, even a woman fighting a man of similar size/strength (Chyna/Eddie, Beth Phoenix/Santino) doesn't either. We all draw lines somewhere and that's my line.

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

flashy_mcflash posted:

I more just don't like to see male-on-female violence with a rabid crowd cheering for it under any circumstance. I know the Dudleys and loads of other wrestlers have done this a lot and obviously the women have consented to it but it's just not something I personally want to see and will never be entertained by.

Women's wrestling, again in my own opinion, doesn't qualify. Hell, even a woman fighting a man of similar size/strength (Chyna/Eddie, Beth Phoenix/Santino) doesn't either. We all draw lines somewhere and that's my line.

If there's an action movie with a female villain how do you stop her?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Paulocaust posted:

If there's an action movie with a female villain how do you stop her?

They'll almost always send a female after her in the good ones, and wrestling and movies are not the same.

I don't even know what you're arguing here. It's something I don't personally like. If you want to see it, great, tune in next week on Impact because they made drat sure to hammer home the point that you will definitely, for sure, see a woman go through a table.

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

flashy_mcflash posted:

They'll almost always send a female after her in the good ones, and wrestling and movies are not the same.

They're actually extremely similar.

Also the fact that you don't like the Beth/Santino feud, in which Beth beat Santino before they teamed up, makes you look like the sexist.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Paulocaust posted:

Also the fact that you don't like the Beth/Santino feud, in which Beth beat Santino before they teamed up, makes you look like the sexist.

Well then I tip my fedora to you, m'sir. Enjoy watching a woman get injured. #ithappens

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Oh god I didn't mean to start something, somebody close the thread please.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Perigryn posted:

Dixie gets no sympies.

"Sympies" and "sweet onion" are two phrases I've picked up from the Pagoda in the last twenty-four hours that I've fallen in love with.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Paulocaust posted:

Except he said he didn't mind Beth/Santino?

If you can't see the difference between, say, Bubba Ray putting Mae Young through a table and putting Dixe through a table idk what to tell you. One's the act of a vile heel on a woman who wrestled her entire life, the other the act of a babyface on a non-wrestler.

Blasmeister fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Aug 1, 2014

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Blasmeister posted:

Except he said he didn't mind Beth/Santino?

Ah, my bad, I just woke up and read that wrong. Nevermind me

E: for the record I hate TNA and I'm sure the Dixie angle was not done tastefully

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Paulocaust posted:

E: for the record I hate TNA and I'm sure the Dixie angle was not done tastefully

I think what bothered me about it most is that TNA felt it right to centre a whole commercial around it and actually give away everything but the 'money shot' of the second Dixie goes through the table. To me it came off as unbelievably desperate, like "GUYS! GUYS!! THIS LADY IS DEFINITELY GOING TO GET POWERBOMBED THROUGH A TABLE! SERIOUSLY GUYS!" It's almost like they've fetishized it.

Yes it's the blowoff to the angle they've been building to for months, but I'd argue that this shouldn't have been an angle in the first place. To say nothing of the fact that as a business decision, it's boneheaded considering that Spike doesn't want this kind of thing on their network.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
I think the best way this could now happen is for Spike to say 'no, you can't show that, that's not what we want on our Network', for Dixie to say 'oh, okay :downs:', and then for TNA to try and show it anyway, Spike censors it, TNA gets pissed at Spike for censoring it, Spike gets pissed at TNA for trying to show it, and for TNA fans to get pissed at TNA for not supplying the blowoff to the angle (except for TNA hardcores who get pissed at Spike).

Then Spike cancels TNA, effective immediately, Dixie cries and bitches, nobody buys TNA and they go out of business. Then Kurt Angle goes back to WWE and they all get ice cream and go on board Warrior's rocket ship...

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
It's just, isn't it like, really really sexist to imply that it's a-ok to put Rockstar Spud, a person much smaller than Dixie through a table, but not Dixie? Like doesn't that imply that she is somehow weaker or more fragile than Spud just because she is a woman? Her character is a horrible person who, by wrestling logic, deserves it. I think that we may be being a little oversensitive here. To me, I mean it's not booked as well, but it's the same thing as WWF promoting RAW by saying, "Tune in this week to see if Stone Cold Steve Austin finally gets his hands on the evil chairman Vince MacMahon!"

I think if you're uncomfortable watching this sort of thing, it's fine, don't watch it, but spare us the morality police angle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

flashy_mcflash posted:

I don't even know what you're arguing here. It's something I don't personally like. If you want to see it, great, tune in next week on Impact because they made drat sure to hammer home the point that you will definitely, for sure, see a woman go through a table.

Male henchman, woman submits to hero without violence. Much less problematic.

• Locked thread