Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Julias posted:

it has 13 episodes, last ep is in a few days

oh phew dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
Given that some of my Summer shows are complete, the rest are finishing this week, and the Fall is about to get started with one hell of a blockbuster, may as well do a quick summation of what I watched.

"AI no Idenshi" (Gene of AI) could have been so much better, though as it was servicible and told a few interesting stories. But the actual animation was rather flat & held the series back. That's a common thread with most of these shows.

Shows like "Dekiru Neko wa Kyou mo Yuuutsu" (The Masterful Cat is Depressed Again Today.) A lot of funny and charming stories, hampered by the usual "Kids with their first computer CGI" effort from No Hands. Though not as badly as the studio's other show this season.

"Jidou Hanbaiki ni Umarekawatta Ore wa Meikyuu wo Samayou's" (Reborn as a Vending Machine, I Now Wander the Dungeon) animation wasn't all that great, but the story is quite likely the best story one could do with a vending machine isekai. Someone with clout must have felt the same way, since they greenlit another season.

A holdover from Spring, "Niehime to Kemono no Ou" (Sacrificial Princess and the King of Beasts) was a reasonably competent twist on "Beauty and The Beast" with gorgeous backgrounds, great acting, and a decent story, but it too fell victim to animation that should have been a lot better than is was.

And finally, "Hyakushou Kizoku" (Noble Farmer) was a hilarious series of shorts about the early life of "Fullmetal Alchemist's" creator Hiromu Arakawa when she was growing up on a farm in Hokkaido. It may be in Japanese, but I would bet money that you could show this to a farmer in Iowa and he'd recognize 90% of what was going on without using subtitles. No notes, my AOTS, I hope we get to see more, and damned if I didn't gain a greater measure of respect for farmers in general.*

ONWARD TO FALL!

*Not that I didn't have respect for them before (they make my food!), but holy crap, I'll never look at a glass of milk or a potato the same way again.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Doodles posted:

"AI no Idenshi" (Gene of AI) could have been so much better, though as it was servicible and told a few interesting stories. But the actual animation was rather flat & held the series back. That's a common thread with most of these shows.

Most episodes felt like they gave you the first act of an interesting scifi story and then refused to go anywhere with it.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

ninjewtsu posted:

i want anime to look good but be made by people given reasonable working conditions and pay myself

in fact i believe in some regards having animators who are comfortable in their work and living situations will lead to higher quality work

The weird thing about the anime bubble is that as overworked as it gives the impression of, it does sound like productions are willing to pay better in order to hold onto talent

Granted I don't know who "talent" is, and that seems to be something more limited to the big productions. Maybe it's just the very upper echelon of production staff, and there's several generations of underpaid overworked lowbie animators working on bargain basement web novel adaptations who still suffer.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Of anime of Summer 2023, I finished (or caught up 'til this week when it finishes):

-The Girl I Like Forgot Her Glasses
-My Happy Marriage
-Sacrificial Princess and the King of Beasts
-Saint Cecilia and Pastor Lawrence
-The Most Heretical Lost Boss Queen
-Sugar Apple Fairy Tale S2
-My Tiny Senpai
-Sweet Reincarnation
-Undead Murder Farce
-The Gene of AI
-The Masterful Cat is Depressed Again Today

And I don't know, after all the bitching I did about The Girl I Like Forgot Her Glasses and The Masterful Cat is Depressed Again Today's CGI, courtesy of the iPad's at work in No Hands, I don't know what the hell happened, but I got immersed in the stories and completely forgot about the weird backgrounds. The characters themselves were neat and funny and exquisitely detailed. I don't know what to tell you goons. Dare I say... I liked them a lot and will remember them past the season!

Speaking of memorable, My Happy Marriage and Undead Murder Farce were definitely my "animes of the season." My Happy Marriage was gorgeous, point, blank, PERIODT. The story made you feel so deeply for this couple, but more importantly, for Miyo. Please, I know there's going to be a season 2, let's see her happy, for Christ's sake! Undead Murder Farce is basically the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen with a Japanese twist and I loved every second of it. With a name and a premise involving sharing bodily fluids with a severed head, I wasn't convinced this would be good. Boy, was I wrong!

I liked the manga of Sacrificial Princess and the King of Beasts, simple though the art might have been. I feel they skewed too far into being faithful to the art and made it TOO simple an anime for the eye to catch on to it in interest. Still, the voice-acting was top notch and I liked the main girl, Sariphi.

Sugar Apple Fairy Tale ended as well as it could, considering the romance is doomed from the start (human + fairy). They kinda just shrug and say, "Okay then, we'll hang out until we can't anymore." It was a pretty ephemeral bubble for this year and the last. Nothing too special.

My Tiny Senpai, Sweet Reincarnation, Saint Cecilia and Pastor Lawrence, and The Most Heretical Lost Boss Queen are easy copy/pastes of the same old tropes of shoujo and isekai manga. There is nothing special about these either. Just easy viewing if you've got some time and are bored. Skip if you wish, you won't miss out on anything.

Lastly, I'll agree with the goon before, The Gene of AI is nice in story and brings up interesting questions about technology, the human soul, and singularity, but it's hindered by how loving AWFUL the character design and animation are. It's like everyone who created this is right-handed, but decided to work with their left for the entire run.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

MY Go was clear the best show of the season for me and probably top 5 of the year and nothing else came close. Murder Farce, Yohane and Seven spell blades fell into the entertaining enough to watch despite some flaws. E

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

We should go back to only like six new shows a season but they're all 26 or 52 episodes long.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

We should go back to only like six new shows a season but they're all 26 or 52 episodes long.

I also miss a half a year of Geass Sundays.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Sakurazuka posted:

:hai:

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

also i looked more into Shy and it actually seems pretty neat and cute so gonna check it out too

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
This season was pretty weak, best show is definitely Bang Dream! My Go!!!!. The only other two I've finished were My Happy Marriage and Undead Murder Farce but they kinda petered out at the end with nothing interesting happening. I've dropped Bleach because it was bad. Should have listened to myself when the first cour started...

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

symbolic posted:

also i looked more into Shy and it actually seems pretty neat and cute so gonna check it out too

Shy is (genre spoiler, not plot spoiler) equal parts a Comic Book Hero show and a Magical Girl show, which is why it rocks.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Very disappointing manga to anime style shift though.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

haypliss posted:

how so?

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

While we do have way to many shows the fact we have so many means we're getting adaptations of stuff like Yuri manga which we wouldn't with 6 shows. So we need a happy balance (also better working conditions)

Also I'm not sure going back to 26 and 52 episodes would be a good idea. I kinds of like longer running shows doing split cours to give some breathing room too

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

We still got 26 episodes of Strawberry Panic back in the day

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Strawberry Panic is still the best thing we got from Marie-sama going big!

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

haypliss posted:

Very disappointing shift to a long running battle arc so it fits I guess!

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022

Mostly dislike the incredibly thin lines they use. The manga varies lineart in a way that isn't feasible when moving to animation, but it goes chunky so often that I would've preferred the overall character design to lean into that instead of just using it for dramatic effect. 1:16 in this trailer is a good example.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqvoZyoSi4Y

I'm also not 100% on the color and lighting of everything, and it's a bit disappointing to see where they're using CG. The director is usually interesting though so I'm sure there will be stuff to like.

Erg posted:

Very disappointing shift to a long running battle arc so it fits I guess!

Caught up and stopped during the katana siblings stuff so this can't hurt me. 😌💦

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

haypliss posted:

Mostly dislike the incredibly thin lines they use. The manga varies lineart in a way that isn't feasible when moving to animation, but it goes chunky so often that I would've preferred the overall character design to lean into that instead of just using it for dramatic effect. 1:16 in this trailer is a good example.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqvoZyoSi4Y

I'm also not 100% on the color and lighting of everything, and it's a bit disappointing to see where they're using CG. The director is usually interesting though so I'm sure there will be stuff to like.

Caught up and stopped during the katana siblings stuff so this can't hurt me. 😌💦

Katana dimension is also where I dropped it yeah

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Katana dimension arc going "oh hey, btw here are literal ninjas, with supernatural powers completely unconnected to this whole deal you superheroes have going on, anyways" was hilarious. I agree that it was a bit bleh, but it was relatively painless when I binged it in one go and the stuff after it was cool again, so whatever.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i don't love the super thin linework in some anime in recent years either and idk if it's the result of studios shifting to 4K development or not. it's not happening in every show tho

marumaru
May 20, 2013

we're still a ways off from 4k anime, no?

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

i think it's just a stylistic choice made by the compositing team. no one's working in 4k yet

Tales of Woe fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Sep 26, 2023

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Do studios even have the resources to work in 4K?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
no, they've had to choose between that or running anime in 60fps. not everyone's upgraded from source to unreal yet either so their networking has some issues

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

ironically enough, old anime is much more likely to be in 4k because a lot of them were filmed on 35mm film.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Dark Gathering was the big hit for me this season. Kengan Ashura was ridiculous but still great. Helck was way more relaxed than I was expecting but I ended up kind of liking it more because of that. Spellblades, Murder Farce, and level 1 demon lord were all average but good enough to finish. Id put Zom100 up with Helck but oof that news. :(

7 shows in one season seems like it ended up being a pretty big success, especially since I was so hesitant at the beginning.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Electric Phantasm posted:

Do studios even have the resources to work in 4K?

would there even be much difference for artists besides changing their canvas size? the mastering/editing/shipping would probably see the biggest differences

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Most anime still has TV broadcasts and over the air 4k still seems awhile off so i don't feel a rush for 4k.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

marumaru posted:

would there even be much difference for artists besides changing their canvas size? the mastering/editing/shipping would probably see the biggest differences

3d animation and CGI will have a immense computational cost delta moving from 1080p to 2160p, along with master files being far bigger in size.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

all anime should look like 2000s digicel like animation runner kuromi and yokohama kaidashi kikou

4:3 and ridiculously vibrant

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

IShallRiseAgain posted:

ironically enough, old anime is much more likely to be in 4k because a lot of them were filmed on 35mm film.

There's definitely been a few 4K releases of old anime films I've seen

marumaru
May 20, 2013

The 7th Guest posted:

all anime should look like 2000s digicel like animation runner kuromi and yokohama kaidashi kikou

4:3 and ridiculously vibrant

either that or pristine 4k where i can see the texture of the photoshop brushes the animators used
no inbetween

SlowBloke posted:

3d animation and CGI will have a immense computational cost delta moving from 1080p to 2160p, along with master files being far bigger in size.

oh yeah that's true.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Waffleman_ posted:

There's definitely been a few 4K releases of old anime films I've seen

and even then...

marumaru
May 20, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqOtjEXkHBQ

this thing is the only actual native 4K "anime" there is iirc?

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

I don't mean to be a pain in the rear end, so feel free to take this as gently as it is meant to sound without feeling pressured... is there a thread being made/already posted about Fall Season 2023 in ADTRW? The only reason I ask is my tv tracker reminded me new anime starts this week.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Pan Dulce posted:

I don't mean to be a pain in the rear end, so feel free to take this as gently as it is meant to sound without feeling pressured... is there a thread being made/already posted about Fall Season 2023 in ADTRW? The only reason I ask is my tv tracker reminded me new anime starts this week.

It'll be up later this week yeah

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i think a couple of series actually have started but they're so un-notable that ANN hasn't even bothered putting up their Fall Preview section yet

e: yeah The Demon Sword Master of Excalibur Academy has aired at least

also frieren's first episode is 2 hours long. bleh

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Sep 27, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

The 7th Guest posted:

i think a couple of series actually have started but they're so un-notable that ANN hasn't even bothered putting up their Fall Preview section yet

How do you know this, seriously? I have to use this site (https://myanimelist.net/anime/season) to figure out what's interesting for the upcoming season.