Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I love that movie, there's relatively few movies in the genre. There's like, VALLEY OF GWANGI, TREMORS, what else?

I don’t remember Tremors being a racial horror thriller

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Gripweed posted:

I don’t remember Tremors being a racial horror thriller

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGVOvyUxqtM

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
I just threw on The Fall of the House of Usher because I've been meaning to work through my Vincent Price set, and of course Corman directed a few of them and he's on our minds. I'm laughing because the movie's only 82 minutes long and even then Corman had to throw on a 3-minute musical overture at the beginning to pad the runtime. God bless him.

Crescent Wrench fucked around with this message at 00:52 on May 13, 2024

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I really love TOMB OF LIGEIA and THE TERROR as far as those movies go.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

I will push Masque of the Red Death over and over until everyone watches it. It's amazing how classy it is and how good it looks, and it has one of my favorite Vincent Price performances as Prospero.

The Raven is a close second because of how weird and funny it is, with Price, Peter Lorre, and Boris Karloff all chewing the scenery. It ends in the goofiest wizard battle :allears:

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I watched Masque for the May challenge thread, it was great, and you're not kidding about how gorgeous it is too look at, it's just so vibrant and colorful. The Price set is six movies and they're all pretty short, I might bang the whole thing out before May is over.

IceG
Feb 7, 2006

Bigger than Hitler - Better than Christ

So I just started getting back into horror films and found this thread exists, very exciting!

Recently watched late night with the devil and loved the tense atmosphere even if things did go slightly off the rails by the end. Saw abigail last night and that was a lot of dumb fun, at the other end of the horror scale.

My main question is are there any horror films that really hold up from the 80s and 90s I should check out? I love the horror films that have a tense atmosphere and really I haven't seen much from that era.

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes
Abigail is a good movie that is elevated to great by the acting.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

There are so many that hold up to this day as I found out when I binged horror movies for a month straight as a way to get into the genre, but if you're a fan of tension and want a classic try The Blair Witch Project. It's especially fun if you have any background or familiarity with college video projects because it nails the feeling of one perfectly - at first. It's a classic for a reason and a big one is because it's just plain intense and psychological.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Dan Stevens and Rebecca Hall have elevated many a film.

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes
I'd watch Kevin Durand read the phone book.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
yeah everyone's pretty great, Angus Cloud was fun as a stoner guy, shame he died I didn't realize until the credits.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

IceG posted:

So I just started getting back into horror films and found this thread exists, very exciting!

Recently watched late night with the devil and loved the tense atmosphere even if things did go slightly off the rails by the end. Saw abigail last night and that was a lot of dumb fun, at the other end of the horror scale.

My main question is are there any horror films that really hold up from the 80s and 90s I should check out? I love the horror films that have a tense atmosphere and really I haven't seen much from that era.

oh boy you're in for a treat

there's so many good horror films in both those decades. if you're getting started on the 80s, i'd recommend watching some of the classic John Carpenter stuff from that era. The Fog and The Thing both give fantastic mood. you might also like the more riotous fun of Stuart Gordon - specifically, From Beyond and Reanimator. Nightmare on Elm Street is also a fantastic franchise-establishing film.

for the 90's, as you enjoyed Late Night With The Devil, my suggestion would be the excellent BBC 'Ghostwatch' which is a similar vibe but about a thousand percent more committed to the 'bit'. other 90s bangers include The Blair Witch Project, Misery, Jacob's Ladder, Event Horizon and the Japanese film Audition.

those are just some of the big-hitters. i barely scratched the surface. this thread can (and probably will) start throwing a lot of deeper cuts and oddities at you eventually as well.

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.
Thanks a lot assholes now I'm disturbed because I watched The Coffee Table and I don't even have children. I'm going to soothe myself with Masque of the Red Death.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Jacob's Ladder is a stone cold classic and Blair Witch still slaps. Watch those.

Jul 3, 2004

careful!

huh posted:

I think the music betrays the grim nature of the movie.

But I can also see the humour in everything going wrong for the husband and the awkwardness avoiding situations and his reactions.

I didn’t find it funny at all the first time. The shock and anxiety is just too much. But after a rewatch and having had time to process it, I find the “black comedy” label fitting. It is actually so absurd and hysterical the second time. I also found a lot of comments (on YouTube and Reddit) where people say they could never watch this film a second time. I disagree with that sentiment. It is so well written and well acted, and will continue to provide so much on repeated viewings.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

fullroundaction posted:

The thing it reminded me of most was Rope by Hitchcock, except I never got fully invested in that like I did this movie.

I will have to watch that. There's some other movie on the tip of my tongue that is reminding me of The Coffee Table. If you replace the dead baby with something a little more innocuous but keep all of the necessary deflections and distractions and nervousness there is a funny movie there. Steamed Hams style.

Chip S. Challenge
Mar 20, 2024

Hint: You don't need the fire boots, but they could help later on.
Tarot was such a bummer, dude. It turns out that you neuter your film’s payoff if you break down the entire plot during the very first scene and don’t ever deviate from it.

my other complaint is that whoever was in charge of the cgi definitely did some serious damage to trevor henderson’s work. the cards look so cool, but the actual monsters don’t remotely live up to it. he has an interview with bloody disgusting that really reads as though he’s unhappy with how they brought it to life.

IceG
Feb 7, 2006

Bigger than Hitler - Better than Christ

Thanks for all the suggestions, I will get on them and let you know how I get on!

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Just kind of horror-adjacent, but I'm rewatching Twin Peaks and my wife is watching it for the first time.

We just got to episode 9 and THAT scene. With BOB crawling over the couch towards Maddy/you the viewer

Holy poo poo did that still hold up. I've probably seen it a half dozen times and it still freaked me out.

Weird Sandwich
Dec 28, 2011

FIRE FIRE FIRE hehehehe!

A Fancy Hat posted:

Just kind of horror-adjacent, but I'm rewatching Twin Peaks and my wife is watching it for the first time.

We just got to episode 9 and THAT scene. With BOB crawling over the couch towards Maddy/you the viewer

Holy poo poo did that still hold up. I've probably seen it a half dozen times and it still freaked me out.

Oh hey I'm (slowly) watching it for the first time myself, been having a great time with it! Agent Cooper is the best, love how he's just immediately on board for everything about the town.

Speaking of horror scenes, I most recently finished episode 14 and oh boy.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Some of the scariest scenes I can remember all come from Twin Peaks.

Fire Walk With Me especially has some real traumatizing poo poo.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

I love Twin Peaks so much. I'm very very slowly working my way through The Return. Fire Walk With Me is one of my favorite horror movies. I don't consider Twin Peaks itself horror necessarily, nor is something Lynchian automatically horror, but when Lynch does horror he is unbelievably good at it, especially when it comes to those tragic personal stories like Eraserhead, The Elephant Man, and Fire Walk With Me.

Dale Cooper is one of the best characters ever. We watched the series because of how much we loved Deadly Premonition and while that series very obviously owes a lot to Twin Peaks, I really appreciate how both properties stand alone and carve their own identities out with their worlds, mysteries, styles, and protagonists.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

The Return is absolutely essential TV

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Chris James 2 posted:

The Return is absolutely essential TV

It's been very fun rewatching because my wife knows nothing of the show except the general pop culture "it's weird". So at this point in the show she's still like "when's it getting weirder?"

I cannot wait to get to the Return and say "okay he's the REALLY weird stuff".

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

A Fancy Hat posted:

It's been very fun rewatching because my wife knows nothing of the show except the general pop culture "it's weird". So at this point in the show she's still like "when's it getting weirder?"

I cannot wait to get to the Return and say "okay he's the REALLY weird stuff".

Even aside from The Return, you're only like 10 episodes away from Windom Earle killing a guy(Ted Raimi!) inside a giant chess piece with a crossbow.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

A Fancy Hat posted:

I still love how killer BOB was cast because Lynch saw him doing work as a set dresser in Laura’s bedroom and thought he would fit the part. Imagine being a crew member and the director basically implies that you are the creepiest motherfucker and would make a great personification of evil lol.

And then Silva accidentally ended up reflected in a mirror during a shot and Lynch took it as a sign. Not a lot of directors would just cast such a major character like that and it’s one of the many reasons Lynch rules.

Also no piece of media has ever invaded my subconscious and hosed up my dreams like Twin Peaks- it’s truly effective when it’s horrific.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Twin Peaks is the GOAT, Lynch is the GOAT. I still can't believe the scene where Maddy gets murdered aired on network TV. It's still so brutal.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

IceG posted:

There's countless films from the 80s, it was a real golden era when a lot of the greats were still really active. My recommendation would be to watch the "In Search of Darkness" documentaries as a primer and write down anything that takes your fancy.

The 90s were rougher - sequel, straight to VHS rot had pretty much set in and the genre floundered for a little bit. Even the greats start to fall off a bit. That said, some good stuff starts to appear in the back half of the decade with the post-modern horror boom (Scream, Bride of Chucky) and the start of the found footage thing with The Blair Witch Project, and the aforementioned Ghostwatch is really special. Be prepared for a lot of nu-metal soundtracks. Blair Witch Project and Ghostwatch are the most tense that come to mind from that sampling, the post-modern stuff was more date-movies with gore gags than anything actually scary.

In The Mouth of Madness and Army of Darkness are technically both 90s movies, but are sort of their own thing. Candyman is a decent enough late addition to the slasher thing.

EDIT: J-horror had its time around then too, but I rewatched Ringu recently and felt a little let down.

EDIT 2: we also had a lot of very mainstream horror adjacent media that's easy to forget, just because it felt fairly "grown up": Silence of the Lambs, Se7en, X-Files. I guess monster movies weren't so in vogue, however.

Disco Pope fucked around with this message at 15:40 on May 13, 2024

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

fullroundaction posted:

Twin Peaks is the GOAT, Lynch is the GOAT. I still can't believe the scene where Maddy gets murdered aired on network TV. It's still so brutal.

The corresponding scene with the other characters at the Road House is so emotionally devastating. Donna starts crying and Bobby is sitting there with that look on his face with the haunting music playing over it.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost
I stalled too long and now The Baby isn't on Shudder anymore, and I don't think I can stomach it without the commentary breaking it up...

Maybe it'll show back up someday.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It's not THAT bad.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
The Baby ruled. I got so excited when I saw the RLM boys did a video about it. It's worth seeking out as a bizarre 70s relic.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Do film enthusiasts watch movies anymore? Surely you've heard of SPIDER BABY and BAD BOY BUBBY as well, right?

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Spider Baby kicks rear end

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Spider Baby rules because it's a very dark story about incest, murder, and cannibalism but it plays it mostly for laughs

The opening theme is fun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJ6ZK_1ur0c

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Mover posted:

Spider Baby kicks rear end

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Alligator was another surprisingly good Jaws clone (I'd put it right up there with Piranha)

Also another movie I'd make every jackwagon production team watch before they set their movie in a weirdly clean and rust-free 80s just to get out of writing around cellphones

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Every time Jaws clones come up, I have to ask people to watch Razorback, a brilliant ozploitation Jaws clone about a giant boar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'd actually put Alligator above Piranha. Robert Forster as the lead, and I think the effects are better overall.