Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
My favorite Jaws-wave creature feature:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3hG9zyAGhQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I honestly don't mind MST3K favorite, Giant Spider Invasion as a big monster movie on it's own. It's so ridiculously trashy.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

TheKingslayer posted:

I honestly don't mind MST3K favorite, Giant Spider Invasion as a big monster movie on it's own. It's so ridiculously trashy.

Bill Rebane rules. Most of his movies are bad but so earnest, and The Demons of Ludlow is genuinely a ton of goopy fun. Regional schlock is such a treat to me.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Every time that film comes up, my mind jumps back to the coverbox we had for it at Blockbuster that was a close up of the ants on Summers' boobs. We used to joke 'are we sure the title shouldn't be Tits?'.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Phy posted:

Alligator was another surprisingly good Jaws clone (I'd put it right up there with Piranha)

both by da man John Sayles

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Do film enthusiasts watch movies anymore? Surely you've heard of SPIDER BABY and BAD BOY BUBBY as well, right?

Watched bad boy bubby for the first time this year, what a trip. That first half hour is so hard to watch then we get a weird road trip style story, and then a celebration of humanity lol

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
And a few murders

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

A few murders to be had in this week's Bracketology films too.

Where We’re At:
1. (Basebf’s Steve's Monster Blockbusters) Stephen Sommer’s Van Helsing vs. 16. (Darth’s Team Australian Aberration) Alan Madden’s Mushrooms
8. (Weapon X’s 100% Found Footage) Josh Trank’s Chronicle vs. 9. Terence Fisher’s The Mummy

You can vote in this round until 12 noon EST May 20th (or when I get to it)

Next Week!
3. Horror Noire vs. 11. Lucio Fulci
4. Tobe Hooper vs. 5. Team Zombie aka the New and Improved Knockoffs of the Living Dead

Thread / Spreadsheet / Letterboxd List

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 19:56 on May 13, 2024

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Basebf555 posted:

Even aside from The Return, you're only like 10 episodes away from Windom Earle killing a guy(Ted Raimi!) inside a giant chess piece with a crossbow.

And killing the goodwill you built up for the show

(Thankfully it comes back at the last few episodes and continues through the return!!!)

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Watched Abigail again and had a lot of fun. Looking forward to watching it again in a little while with a friend who somehow missed all the trailers and has no idea what the premise is :twisted:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Abilgal was good. I liked it and liked all the exploding people. That just never ever gets old and so many films would be better with characters just exploding

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Weird Sandwich posted:

Agent Cooper is the best

Another very good Kyle MacLachlan hit is The Hidden, where he's playing proto-Cooper and fighting proto-MIB's Edgar the Bug

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Abigail has Kevin Durand in it who's career I've been cheering for since he was a rat catcher in The Strain

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Doltos posted:

Abigail has Kevin Durand in it who's career I've been cheering for since he was a rat catcher in The Strain

I love him in Legion, he plays the perfect arrogant but extremely threatening arch angel.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
80's recommendations for me:

Videodrome, Reanimator and a surprising amount of good King adaptations (Christine, The Shining, Cujo, The Dead Zone)

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Doltos posted:

I’ve liked Kevin Durand since he played a computer nerd in Touching Evil.

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes
Yeah well I've like Kevin Durand since he played a big weirdo in Smokin' Aces.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Kevin Durand was the best part of Abigail. I love that guy. He’s also in the new planet of the apes movie. I’ll wait for that bc I don’t trust Wes ball like I trust Matt reeevs. But that’s still cool as hell.!

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

:sickos:

https://twitter.com/FilmUpdates/status/1790136851799404602

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

CelticPredator posted:

Kevin Durand was the best part of Abigail. I love that guy. He’s also in the new planet of the apes movie. I’ll wait for that bc I don’t trust Wes ball like I trust Matt reeevs. But that’s still cool as hell.!
It's about as good as every other movie in the series, which is to say, pretty adequate. He has a solid role in it.
Honestly everyone does such a great job though. I loved Durand, Angus Cloud, OBVIOUSLY Dan Stevens, Kathryn Newton, all of them come with game and it's a pretty funny movie. Great child acting from Alisha Weir too, child acting can be so iffy sometimes (looking at you fairy in Riddle of Fire) but she does a great job esp when she's pretending to be innocent and scared.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

BiggerBoat posted:

80's recommendations for me:

Videodrome, Reanimator and a surprising amount of good King adaptations (Christine, The Shining, Cujo, The Dead Zone)
Literally just finished The Dead Zone as the finale of my sorta failed Cronenberg week. That's a good one!

Somewhere in my post history is the big list of movies from when the horror thread did their best picks of the year throughout pages 1980-2023. Someone is welcome to dig that out or I'll get to it when I sit down at a computer.

Crumps Brother fucked around with this message at 00:38 on May 14, 2024

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Punkin Spunkin posted:

It's about as good as every other movie in the series, which is to say, pretty adequate. He has a solid role in it.
Honestly everyone does such a great job though. I loved Durand, Angus Cloud, OBVIOUSLY Dan Stevens, Kathryn Newton, all of them come with game and it's a pretty funny movie. Great child acting from Alisha Weir too, child acting can be so iffy sometimes (looking at you fairy in Riddle of Fire) but she does a great job esp when she's pretending to be innocent and scared.

I thought the last trilogy was about as perfect as you're gonna get for a modern trilogy. Now it's got more so that's been ruined.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

I've liked Kevin Durand since he played an evil mercenary in the fourth season of LOST.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Since smokin aces

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I want to rewatch that movie. I loved it when I saw it in theaters as a teenager

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

IceG posted:

So I just started getting back into horror films and found this thread exists, very exciting!

Recently watched late night with the devil and loved the tense atmosphere even if things did go slightly off the rails by the end. Saw abigail last night and that was a lot of dumb fun, at the other end of the horror scale.

My main question is are there any horror films that really hold up from the 80s and 90s I should check out? I love the horror films that have a tense atmosphere and really I haven't seen much from that era.

Found it! So in the previous thread the thread started posting their best-ofs for each year with respect to the thread page number. I kinda wrote a bunch of a down for future reference. Here's the big summary post and list aggregation from the previous thread. I snipped years 2000+ from the quote, but you can click through if you want the whole thing. Lots of really good thread recommendations in there.

Crumps Brother posted:

It started with two posts. A comment from Hollismason which was then expanded on by Takes No Damage.

I've enjoyed this hell out of this and seeing how people responded. So I quickly went through and compiled the outcome. It's certainly not perfect. But generally I wrote down every movie that people mentioned and if that movie was definitively picked by someone I gave it a hash mark. Enjoy the results!

code:
sleepaway camp |
Videodrome |||
siege
the dead zone
christine
angst |

nightmare on elm street |||||
company of wovles |
terminator |
friday the 13th
gremlins ||
chud
children of the corn
firestarter
ghostbusters |
hills have eyes
toxic avenger |
night of the comet
threads sole survivor
repo man |
disconnected |
threads |
rats:night of terror

re-animator |
day of the dead
phenomema |
return of the living dead |||
demons 
the stuff |
fright night |
return ot oz
black cauldron
howard the duck

the fly ||||
from beyond
texas chainsaw massacre 2
friday the 13th part 6 |
aliens ||
demons 2
dead end drive in
class of nuke 'em high
terrorvision
the hitcher |
night of the creeps |
little shop of horrors
chopping mall
trick or treat
henry: portrait of a serial killer |

evil dead 2 ||
hellraiser
lost boys
dream warriors
prince of darkness |
near dark |
bad taste
chinese ghost story
the stepfather
opera
creepshow 2
house 2
silent night deadly night 2
video dead
return to horror high

child's play
hellbound
killer klowns from outer space
hellraiser 2
the blob |||
brain damage
monkey shines
pumpkinhead
beetlejuice
they live
lair of the white worm
critters 2
dead ringers ||
men behind the sun |
elvira: mistress of the dark
remote control |

pet sematary
society |||
sundown vampire
the church
bridge of re-animator
tetsuo:the iron man ||
vampire's kiss |
don't panic
elves
friday the 13th part 8
nightmark on elm street 5
parents
phantom of the mall
puppet master |
shocker
sleepaway camp 3
dial code santa claus |
begotten
the woman in black
death spa
paganini horror
meet the feebles
celia
intruder
leviathan
santa sangre |

tremors |
misery
nightbreed |
guardian
tales from the darkside
predator 2
maniac cop 2 |
troll 2
frankenhooker |
graveyard shift
jacobs ladder ||
exorcist 3 |
gremlins 2
singapore sling |

highway to hell |
cast a deadly spell
people under the stairs ||
clearcut |
delicatessen
silence of the lambs ||
ernest scared stupid
freddy's dead
cape fear |
child play 3 |
pit and the pendulum |
the addams family |

candyman ||||
army of darkness |
dracula
dead alive |
stay tuned
twin peaks: fire walk with me
split second
star time
auntie lee's meat pies
lawnmower man
buffy the vampire slayer
ghostwatch |

cronos |||
when a stranger calls back |
freaked
body snatchers
return of the living dead 3 |
subspecies 2 ||
dark waters
jurassic park |
body bags |
body melt ||||

new nightmare ||
tammy and the trex
in the mouth of madness |||
interview with the vampire
brainscan
cemetary man ||||
leprechaun 2
frankenstein
serial mom
savage harvest
heavenly creatures
godzilla vs. space godzilla

seven |
species
demon knight ||
lord of illusions |
tales from the hood
day of the beast |
vampire in brooklyn
castle freak
the prophecy
the addiction ||
mosquito
texas chainsw massacre: the next generation
safe |
mute witness

from dusk till dawn |||
scream |||||
tesis
tremors 2 |
tromeo and juliet
the arrival
the frighteners
mars attacks
the craft 
twister
american history x
return to oz
bad moon
freeway

event horizon |||||
cube |||
mimic
the night flier
the relic
wishmaster |
office killer |
anaconda
cure |
funny games |

ringu ||||
blade ||||| ||
the faculty |
dark city ||
bride of chucky |
deep rising |
vampires
psycho
phantoms
whispering corridors
bio-zombie
last broadcast |

deep blue sea |
audition
sleepy hollow
stir of echoes
lake placid
ravenous ||||
blair witch ||||||
idle hands |
end of days
audition ||
memento mori
the mummy ||

IceG
Feb 7, 2006

Bigger than Hitler - Better than Christ

Wow that list is amazing, thank you so much.

I watched Blair witch project last night, that was actually quite scary even though you basically saw nothing! I had to immediately do a bunch of googling to see if my theories matched with other people's.

Just out of interest do I need to spoiler tag plot points for films that are 20-30 years old?

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes
We should have two sequels to Malignant by now. Hollywood is broken.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Do film enthusiasts watch movies anymore? Surely you've heard of SPIDER BABY and BAD BOY BUBBY as well, right?

Bad boy bubby is a great entry in the Australians as horror movie monsters canon

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yeah. They watch ant man 3 and Star Wars tv show 67 to yell about it online

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

MacheteZombie posted:

Since smokin aces
Totally forgot he was in that obnoxious movie. He's really been around.

Kathryn Newton was also recently the lead in Diabo Cody's Lisa Frankenstein which feels like a mediocre 2000s Burton but is still pretty solid, entertaining, and surprisingly insane. Prolly a better Burton movie than a 2024 Burton could deliver.

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
Durand was the main alien bad guy in I Am Number Four and the only good part of that movie.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost
I watched Split Second semi-recently and keep forgetting to talk about it.

I think I loved it??? Its like Predator 2 and Seven had a baby? Rutger Hauer is great, his nerd sidekick goes so over-the-top in his whole "by the book nerd learns to loosen up" subplot that its amazing. In general the movie seems unsure of whether the killer is a serial murderer, an alien, or a demon. I would be unsurprised if the script had it being all three at different points.

It was supposed to be a demon, right?

Honestly the whole movie feels like a parody played extremely straight. The whole city being constantly flooded felt like a commentary on city streets at night always being wet in this kind of movie.

Recommended!

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Not a fan of Predator 2 but that does sound fun and I'd been thinking about seeing it. Rutger Hauer shlock is usually worth checking out. Blind Fury kicks rear end.

Anyone seen the movie Black Water (2007)? Heard it was pretty solid crocodile based horror. 🐊

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Not a fan of Predator 2 but that does sound fun and I'd been thinking about seeing it. Rutger Hauer shlock is usually worth checking out. Blind Fury kicks rear end.

Anyone seen the movie Black Water (2007)? Heard it was pretty solid crocodile based horror. 🐊

It doesn't have the (kinda racist??) gang stuff from Predator 2, just the urban monster vs. extremely colorful cops dynamic.

The presence of Rutger Hauer may color my perceptions, Hobo With A Shotgun may be my favorite movie.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
My thing with Hobo is I almost always bounce off any modern movie deliberately trying to evoke that 80s/90s or retro grindhouse shlock. Especially if they're trying to be kinda funny. They always try too hard.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Speaking of Rutger Hauer, I just rewatched Surviving the Game and man is that a good time. Rutger and Gary Busey sharing screen time? Sign me up.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

ruddiger posted:

Speaking of Rutger Hauer, I just rewatched Surviving the Game and man is that a good time. Rutger and Gary Busey sharing screen time? Sign me up.

Movie is a goddam B movie classic and is shamefully hardly ever streaming anywhere. The whole cast kicks rear end.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
That and Hard Target are some definite classics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Punkin Spunkin posted:

That and Hard Target are some definite classics.

Lance Henriksen absolutely crushing it