Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fatherboxx)

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Comstar posted:

This is utterly wrong. Trump will cut all support to Ukraine AND NATO and tell Ukraine to surrender.

Trump will not listen to anyone except Putin who he follows slavishly.

Let's not forget that Trump almost certainly holds a personal grudge against Zelensky. Zelensky didn't go along with his "arms in exchange for launching an investigation into Biden" plan which lead to Trump's first impeachment. He will absolutely let Ukraine lose the win if and when he gets relected just to get back at Zelensky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Keisari posted:

On the other hand, he sided with Putin over FBI in the Helsinki summit. There is something super weird about his attitude towards him

Piss tape is real

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I mean yes Trump would betray Ukraine if someone offered him a wooden nickle and a spanking to do it, but that doesn't mean the rest of that dude's post isn't bullshit.

Russia is gonna keep feeding man meat into Ukraine as long as Putin is alive, sure, but around about this time next year according to projections the Russian army will have to get there on foot because there won't be any vehicles left.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

I was reading this recent interview with Fiona Hill and she mentions some points relevant to the discussion about how Trump might go, maybe folks would find it interesting so I share
Fiona Hill on Putin, Ukraine, Global Challenges

daviscenter.fas.harvard.edu posted:

SS: But going back to Trump, do you think the policy toward … Russia will change … if Trump is president?

FH: Well, a lot of it depends on where the circumstances are in November, January. Honestly, I mean, there's already a Trump factor that's changing things, right? Because there's an assumption in lots of parts of the world that Trump has won already. … What the polling is also suggesting is that Trump is the putative past and future president. And if you've talked to people outside of the United States, in Europe, they're already assuming he’s coming to this. There's all these efforts to Trump-proof systems for NATO. Security is already underway. I think if you go to, like, Brazil, South Africa, or talk to people, they also assume that Trump is on the way. … Trump talks about envoys, people like Rick Grinnell are running around the Balkans and elsewhere, talking on Trump's behalf. People are already factoring Trump in. So, I mean, even before we've got to November or January, yeah, we've got people acting as if … Trump, rather, is president. Putin [is] already kind of thinking about how he can … take advantage of all of this, when it comes to Ukraine, because the assumption is that Trump will give him a friend, right?

SS: Do you share that assumption?

FH : Yeah, I mean, but there's also, I would say, a kind of a caveat to this — because if Putin looks like a loser, or Putin looks like in some way that he is dissing Trump or is disadvantageous to Trump, to humiliate him and show him up, Trump will react badly and lash out. The whole debate now about assistance to Ukraine … all of that is being driven by Trump and a lot of congressional debates about Ukraine are being driven by Trump. The assumption, not just Trump as the Republican candidate — remember, we haven't got past the convention yet — but also coming back as president and everybody maneuvering to get themselves into various positions. And, you know, a lot of it really depends on how Europe acts now and reacts. … But if, for example, Ukraine were winning on the battlefield, and people are talking about Ukraine in different circumstances, Trump likes to associate himself with success, not with loss, which is why Putin is doing so much to take advantage of this moment that looks like a moment of loss.

SS: Can you elaborate on that a bit? How do you see things on the battlefield? Where are they headed?

FH: It would have been harder for Trump to make this case if Ukraine looked like it was still doing what it was doing earlier. I don't mean … the summer offensive, but the rolling of Russia’s gains back before Russia was able to dig in the trenches and put all the minefields … down. And that's the problem. … Ukraine, obviously, is being pushed to do the similar kind of defensive position. But, of course, for Ukraine, that’s very hard, because then that looks like they're building a solid border, right? Whether we think about that or not, if you think about the physicality of minefields, and walls, and trenches, and all the rest of it, you're kind of creating, just like we've seen in the case of Korea and elsewhere, the … DMZ [demilitarized zone] and the contact line, you're creating a border that, maybe, you know, not a de jure [border], but [it] becomes facts on the ground. You're creating fortifications. And that's really why Ukraine hasn't done that. Because it seems that it's already acknowledging that line because that line becomes physical, just like the Berlin Wall back in … the 60s, so that kind of becomes problematic. So there's that … [and] the question of mobilization and basic armaments, because this has become a World War I-style battle of mass armies, with mass ammunition, as well as the 21st-century battle with the drones. And the land war is different from the drone war, obviously.

But a lot of it’s psychological, it's a confidence game. It's not just about the numbers… I mean, there are many different ways of saying that Russia has, and it's certainly a Pyrrhic victory, if it's Russia, was on the winning side, so to speak. I think, you know, our terminology is difficult, because we're thinking that Russia is winning, because Putin, he's willing to expend just incredible amounts of manpower and money and equipment at this particular point. It's not about prevailing. … With Ukraine, obviously, the debate about mobilization and changing the draft, Ukraine's … trying to preserve its capacity, its people, but Putin seems to be willing to certainly fight to the last Ukrainian, but even potentially, to the last Russian, seeing this as kind of a final showdown.

And again, that's the World War I image, right? The mass armies… And that's the complicated picture that we're in now. We have to be able to give Russia not just some of … the impression but show the reality that Ukraine can withstand this, that Ukraine has the wherewithal to keep Russia at bay, to really turn the tide … with the equipment that it needs, support for manpower, but also the security guarantees and the diplomatic assistance.

So part of it is, you know, the diplomatic battlefield, as well as getting other countries to push Russia and say, “okay, enough is enough.” Just like we've seen with what's happening with Israel and Gaza, when you get a tide turning against you, to the tide turned against Putin. But he doesn't see that happening at this particular juncture. So we need more effort in that regard.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Again, where is all this talk of Trump being president in waiting coming from?
Is it just 2016 trauma? I don’t think the polls are accurate enough this far out. He is not even the Republican nominee yet.

Also if we go by Alan Lichtmann, Biden is likely to win this coming election unless Trump find a way to Bush V Gore steal the whole thing.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Kraftwerk posted:

Is it just 2016 trauma? I don’t think the polls are accurate enough this far out. He is not even the Republican nominee yet.

Also if we go by Alan Lichtmann, Biden is likely to win this coming election unless Trump find a way to Bush V Gore steal the whole thing.

Who, exactly, do you think the Republican nominee may end up being instead?

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

Volmarias posted:

Who, exactly, do you think the Republican nominee may end up being instead?

That’s not my point.
My point is we haven’t even begun to contest this election and everyone has thrown their hands in the air and decided rather prematurely that Donald J Trump is the next president of the United States. I find this sort of thinking flawed. I’m not saying to be complacent in a Biden victory, the election will still need to be hard fought and every voter would need to turn up and vote for their candidate for Biden to win. But there’s a lot of factors here that are very much in flux and so I find calls for an inevitable Trump victory to be premature.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Kraftwerk posted:

There isn't really a mechanism that would lead to anyone else being the Republican nominee.

Biden has even already agreed to do a debate against him next month - before either of them have officially been declared to be the nominee of their respective parties.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

DTurtle posted:

There isn't really a mechanism that would lead to anyone else being the Republican nominee.

Biden has even already agreed to do a debate against him next month - before either of them have officially been declared to be the nominee of their respective parties.

My argument is not that Trump will not win the Republican nomination. Just that the electioneering is only just beginning with a lot of time between now and November for decisions to be made. The polling today is meaningless.

If we used polling results this far from election day as an indicator of who’s going to be president, then we’d have had Jimmy Carter as a 2 term president and McGovern would've been president instead of Bush.

Biden hasn’t hosed up badly enough to be at major risk of losing. I’d argue the only way Biden loses is if there’s a well timed recession between now and November and if he suffers a major foreign policy failure which Israel/Palestine could very well be. None of those things are decided yet.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Kraftwerk posted:

My argument is not that Trump will not win the Republican nomination. Just that the electioneering is only just beginning with a lot of time between now and November for decisions to be made. The polling today is meaningless.

If we used polling results this far from election day as an indicator of who’s going to be president, then we’d have had Jimmy Carter as a 2 term president and McGovern would've been president instead of Bush.

Biden hasn’t hosed up badly enough to be at major risk of losing. I’d argue the only way Biden loses is if there’s a well timed recession between now and November and if he suffers a major foreign policy failure which Israel/Palestine could very well be. None of those things are decided yet.

From the perspective of the Europeans it makes sense to prepare and isolate lines of supply and support from bring undermined by the US executive. Individually they have all kinds of idiosyncratic ideas about US domestic politics and I am not sure if polling is something they consider seriously. From Hill's perspective she has reasons to dread a Trump administration that she probably feels very traumatized by, so her assessment might be based on personal factors, steeling herself etc. rather than being based in anything strongly predictive of the end result -- which at this point probably exists nowhere.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

mawarannahr posted:

From the perspective of the Europeans it makes sense to prepare and isolate lines of supply and support from bring undermined by the US executive. Individually they have all kinds of idiosyncratic ideas about US domestic politics and I am not sure if polling is something they consider seriously. From Hill's perspective she has reasons to dread a Trump administration that she probably feels very traumatized by, so her assessment might be based on personal factors, steeling herself etc. rather than being based in anything strongly predictive of the end result -- which at this point probably exists nowhere.

I agree with you.
We all have to be careful though because if you don’t like Trump the last thing you want to do is perpetuate conversations about the inevitability of his victory. It manufactures consent and makes it more likely to happen.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

In college I had a professor of European political history, highly distinguished domestically and abroad, as well as an occasional advisor on foreign policy, who wrote a newspaper article in like February about how he was convinced the Democratic nominee would be Michelle Obama. I think Nikki Haley was his prediction for the Republican but the focus was on why it was going to be Michelle based on his sober analysis of Americans.

Wheeljack
Jul 12, 2021

mawarannahr posted:

In college I had a professor of European political history, highly distinguished domestically and abroad, as well as an occasional advisor on foreign policy, who wrote a newspaper article in like February about how he was convinced the Democratic nominee would be Michelle Obama. I think Nikki Haley was his prediction for the Republican but the focus was on why it was going to be Michelle based on his sober analysis of Americans.

THIS February, after the primaries had begun? Do you have a link for that article, it sounds like a hoot.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Wheeljack posted:

THIS February, after the primaries had begun? Do you have a link for that article, it sounds like a hoot.
ok it was November. Tempus fugit

quote:

removed link, pm if want

mawarannahr fucked around with this message at 04:28 on May 18, 2024

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
I had a gig around the time when covid broke out in 2020 where I worked with an older Finnish guy who for some reason was a solid MAGA Trumper. I learned this during coffee breaks when he explained that Democrats had no chance, Trump was going to be re-elected in a landslide. Maybe it had something to do with him playing in a rock band probably some Ted Nugent type music, or being terminally online in the wrong kinds of forums. It's weird to be so invested in another country's politics that you preach some politician or party to people around you who like you have no say in those elections :confused:

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Kraftwerk posted:

See my tag.

I was merely objecting to your statement that Trump isn't the nominee yet. That is a completely irrelevant technicality.

And yes, Israel/Palestine is unfortunately a major, extremely relevant international policy happening that has major influence on the US election.

This does NOT mean that I support any doom saying about how the election is already decided.

HOWEVER, since this is not the US elections threads, but the War in Ukraine thread, I will pivot back to that with noting that last night Ukraine launched possibly the largest air/drone strike against Russiaso far, with more than a hundred drones attacking Crimea, Novorossiisk and Belgorod. This resulted in power outages in Sevastopol, destroyed at least two MIG-31 and a SU-27, and damaged a refinery in Novorossiisk that had just been repaired.

Also, Putin has made some statements with regards to the goals of the offensive near Kharkiv (from The Guardian live blog):

quote:

Capturing Ukraine's Kharkiv is not part of Russia's current plan, says Putin

President Vladimir Putin said on Friday that Russian forces advancing in Ukraine’s Kharkiv region were creating a “buffer zone” to protect Russian border regions, but said capturing the city of Kharkiv was not part of Russia’s current plan.

Putin, who made the comments at a news conference during a state visit to China, said Russia’s recent thrust into the Kharkiv region was a response to Ukrainian shelling of Russian border regions such as Belgorod, Reuters reported.

“As for what is happening in the Kharkiv direction. This is also their (Ukraine’s) fault, because they shelled and continue, unfortunately, to shell residential neighbourhoods in the border areas, including Belgorod,” said Putin.

“Civilians are dying there. It’s obvious. They are shooting directly at the city centre, at residential areas. And I said publicly that if this continues, we will be forced to create a security zone, a buffer zone. That is what we are doing.”

When asked if Russian forces planned to take control of nearby Kharkiv, Ukraine’s second biggest city, Putin said: “As for Kharkiv, there are no such plans as of today.”

DTurtle fucked around with this message at 20:07 on May 17, 2024

To be fair...
Feb 3, 2006
Film Producer

Nenonen posted:

I had a gig around the time when covid broke out in 2020 where I worked with an older Finnish guy who for some reason was a solid MAGA Trumper. I learned this during coffee breaks when he explained that Democrats had no chance, Trump was going to be re-elected in a landslide. Maybe it had something to do with him playing in a rock band probably some Ted Nugent type music, or being terminally online in the wrong kinds of forums. It's weird to be so invested in another country's politics that you preach some politician or party to people around you who like you have no say in those elections :confused:

There is something wonderfully hilarious about how a chud was created by globalization.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Charliegrs posted:

Let's not forget that Trump almost certainly holds a personal grudge against Zelensky. Zelensky didn't go along with his "arms in exchange for launching an investigation into Biden" plan which lead to Trump's first impeachment. He will absolutely let Ukraine lose the win if and when he gets relected just to get back at Zelensky.

I don't think he does, he's repeatedly praised Zelensky, they had a perfect phone call together

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

DTurtle posted:

See my tag.

And yes, Israel/Palestine is unfortunately a major, extremely relevant international policy happening that has major influence on the US election.

Israel-Palestine ranks like dead last on lists of people's priorities.

Not sure why MikeC is so confidently saying that Trump will win. I think he's very likely to lose. Given the 2022 midterm results and the impressive Republican trend of losing every single election since Trump got elected, including Trump himself, and Trump's very impressive list of federal charges against him, he has quite the hill to climb here.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

small butter posted:

Israel-Palestine ranks like dead last on lists of people's priorities.

Not sure why MikeC is so confidently saying that Trump will win. I think he's very likely to lose. Given the 2022 midterm results and the impressive Republican trend of losing every single election since Trump got elected, including Trump himself, and Trump's very impressive list of federal charges against him, he has quite the hill to climb here.

"Ah, nevertheless..."

I'm not making the mistake again of underestimating what kind of things might happen between now and then. I honestly hope that he doesn't win, but given that in a normal universe he would have been wearing orange in ADX Florence for years now, I can't pretend it isn't possible.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
fwiw mikeC doesnt post in the CSPAM ukraine thread and they've always been on the pessimistic side of predictions for ukraine.

calling them a pro-russia/putin troll seems idiotic. you can disagree with people while they are posting their sincere opinions.

Burns
May 10, 2008

If the last 5 months demonstrated anything for ukraine is that the US is an unreliable ally at the best of times.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Burns posted:

If the last 5 months demonstrated anything for ukraine is that the US is an unreliable ally at the best of times.
GOP-controlled House is hardly the best of times.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Cugel the Clever posted:

GOP-controlled House is hardly the best of times.

GOP controlled something is certainly a lot of the times though

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Budzilla posted:

Or check out the GOP primary results with Niki Haley getting 15%+ of the vote even though Trump is a sort of an incumbent and Haley dropped out more than a month ago. If 5% of those Haley Republicans thought "gently caress it I'm not leaving my house in November" Trump is hosed.
By way of comparison, Trump's other opponents in 2016 kept getting numbers like that in the primaries even after he was mathematically certain to win and they'd dropped out. Now a Ted Cruz primary protest voter is probably more likely to "come home" as a Trump voter than a Haley one, but I wouldn't read all that much into this

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Burns posted:

You mean the last 5 decades?

Dick Ripple
May 19, 2021
Some insights by Anders Puck Nielsen on why we should not be so pessimistic about the latest offensive in and around Kharkiv. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXzs4dlfN30

Basically the media is confused about what significant tactical gains mean, clearly not enough forces for Russia to take or really threaten Kharkiv, and if it is a diversion plan it is a bad one. Also Russian generals are glory hounds.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
neat new levada poll: a majority of russian society would be opposed to Putin choosing to end the war and returning the annexed territories (though it doesnt break down between the just the donbass or also crimea)

https://x.com/DrRadchenko/status/1791648791583449370

poor waif
Apr 8, 2007
Kaboom

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

neat new levada poll: a majority of russian society would be opposed to Putin choosing to end the war and returning the annexed territories (though it doesnt break down between the just the donbass or also crimea)

I'm surprised that 30% would agree to completely give up on the project that has been the primary focus for Russia over the past decade.

It would mean losing international relations, 500k casualties and scuppering your economy was all for absolutely nothing.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Not surprising. If you lost a relative to conquer some dirt, you'll probably not want to give back the dirt. At the same time, you don't want to lose more relatives.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

OAquinas posted:

Not surprising. If you lost a relative to conquer some dirt, you'll probably not want to give back the dirt. At the same time, you don't want to lose more relatives.

… how exactly do they think Putin is going to end the war, then? Takes two to stop fighting and I’m pretty sure Ukraine isn’t going to go ‘well darn! Good game’ when Putin tries the old ‘Oop gotta go moms calling me thanks for the marbles territories!’

d64
Jan 15, 2003

Oracle posted:

… how exactly do they think Putin is going to end the war, then? Takes two to stop fighting and I’m pretty sure Ukraine isn’t going to go ‘well darn! Good game’ when Putin tries the old ‘Oop gotta go moms calling me thanks for the marbles territories!’

Do you think Ukrainians have infinite will to fight? They have already run short on people eager to join the war. Definitely one scenario how this can end is where they say ok, enough is enough, we can't go on.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

d64 posted:

Do you think Ukrainians have infinite will to fight? They have already run short on people eager to join the war. Definitely one scenario how this can end is where they say ok, enough is enough, we can't go on.

Alternatively, enough Russians decide this. The problematic part for them is they can't act on that without removing their government.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Zwabu posted:

Alternatively, enough Russians decide this. The problematic part for them is they can't act on that without removing their government.

imo the interesting bit is that even if they essentially did remove their present government, most would want the successor to continue the war barring a change in ukraine's position

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

A big flaming stink posted:

fwiw mikeC doesnt post in the CSPAM ukraine thread and they've always been on the pessimistic side of predictions for ukraine.

calling them a pro-russia/putin troll seems idiotic. you can disagree with people while they are posting their sincere opinions.

Being pessimistic is fine. Lots of people in this thread are pessimistic, and they often have good reason to be.

The thing that got him called a pro-Russia/Pro-Putin troll is him being smug and happy that things are going badly for Ukraine.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Charliegrs posted:

it's somewhere between 80/20 and 90/10 that Biden will win the election. Absent some magic sea of change against Ukraine it's reasonably likely we see even more US support of Ukraine before the election. Most talk about some kind of Trump risk is doomerism until October because Biden is still the current president.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

notwithoutmyanus posted:

it's somewhere between 80/20 and 90/10 that Biden will win the election. Absent some magic sea of change against Ukraine it's reasonably likely we see even more US support of Ukraine before the election. Most talk about some kind of Trump risk is doomerism until October because Biden is still the current president.

Biden is still the president, but the House (which holds ‘the power of the purse’ e.g. gets to decide what money funds what where) is still held by Republicans. And it may well still be held by Republicans after the November elections. Democrats are likely to narrowly lose the Senate.
Not trying to be a Debbie Downer but there’s more to it than just ‘Biden won so everything’s going to be fine.’

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Oracle posted:

Biden is still the president, but the House (which holds ‘the power of the purse’ e.g. gets to decide what money funds what where) is still held by Republicans. And it may well still be held by Republicans after the November elections. Democrats are likely to narrowly lose the Senate.
Not trying to be a Debbie Downer but there’s more to it than just ‘Biden won so everything’s going to be fine.’

true, but roughly half those republicans support ukraine aide. it's more a question of whether the MAGA faction of the party gains a significant share of control. idk what the numbers are on that shifting this election, but id have figured it'd have already happened in the previous round of house elections if it was gonna

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Oracle posted:

I do agree fully, but even Republican house control is even less likely . As is, democrats are somewhat able to control it regardless as they already pushed more Ukraine funds through what, two weeks ago? Republicans are crumbling before the election. The Senate will indeed be a huge and glaring issue, not that it ever hasn't been.

^^ covers it as well.

notwithoutmyanus fucked around with this message at 00:58 on May 19, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

imo the interesting bit is that even if they essentially did remove their present government, most would want the successor to continue the war barring a change in ukraine's position

An interesting thing would be a demographics breakdown on who supports the war. Russias demographics are old and lopsided - it's alot easier for old men and women to support the war when they have no personal fear of being sent into it, but consume the propaganda of how important it is for the Russian state. In terms of political power it doesn't matter if pensioners in Ryazan support the war, but the productive labour in Moscow and St Petersburg. Doesn't mean they don't aswell (domestic propoganda is hell of a thing) but its something to consider.